Start by marking “On Beyond a Million: An Amazing Math Journey” as Want to Read:
On Beyond a Million: An Amazing Math Journey

On Beyond a Million: An Amazing Math Journey

Professor X and his dog, Y, teach kids how to count exponentially by powers of 10 (1, 10, 100, 1,000, 10,000, etc.), beginning at 1 and working all the way up to a googol (a 1 followed by 100 zeros) and beyond. Children fascinated by large numbers will be amazed how quickly they can count to really BIG numbers, and they’ll also find answers to questions like “What comes af ...more
Published November 13th 2001 by Dragonfly Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about On Beyond a Million, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Beyond a Million

Sandra Carolina
Mar 08, 2016 Sandra Carolina rated it it was ok
Sandra Carolina Argueta
March 7, 2016
ETEC 540
Schwartz, David M. On Beyond a Million An Amazing Math Journey .llustrated by Meisel, Paul

This journey begins in a school auditorium where an out of control popcorn making robot is spewing so much popcorn that the children, who are setting up for an assembly, are “drowning” in it. The assembly will present Professor X and his dog, who will help the students understand the concept of large amounts and how to count them in an easy way, because even “Nu
Caycee Hatchette
Personal Reaction- There were parts of this book that I liked, but overall, I found it to be confusing. I liked that it kind of took you on a journey with Professor X and his dog but to me, there were too many characters on each page and it became confusing. Each character had a thought bubble, which made it harder to follow along.

Read aloud- I think that there is too much going on in each page to read it aloud to the class. There are too many things for students to focus on when you are readin
Sylvia Ulmer
Aug 23, 2013 Sylvia Ulmer rated it liked it
I did not use this as a read-aloud because of all the speech bubbles and facts scattered throughout the book. However, I set it out for the kids to read if they finished their warm-ups early. I also used it to help some individual students understand exponential growth and powers of ten. Both were effective; the early finishers were interested by the huge numbers (especially googolplex - 10^googol). And it was helpful to my struggling students that the book specifically contrasts counting by add ...more
Dolly
May 16, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
My only critique of this book is that since it was first published in 1999, some of the data (specifically about the population of the United States and the world) is no longer accurate. Instead of 250 million people, the United States now has over 315 million people, at the time of our reading of the book. And the world has over 7 billion people, much greater than the 5 billion stated in the narrative. (see http://www.census.gov/popclock/ for more information).

Otherwise, this is a fascinating b
Suzi
Sep 25, 2015 Suzi rated it liked it
An interesting look and numbers beyond a million and the power of 10. Useful in the classroom at the upper end of primary school with interesting facts and illustrations that children will like. A non-fiction book that could help in a maths lesson.
Kathryn Hogan
Apr 11, 2012 Kathryn Hogan rated it really liked it
This book would be perfect for any fifth grader! I love the illustrations and the probing questions. I like how it supports counting as a cool thing. It contains great fun facts. The explanations are great and it shows wonderful ways to think about multiplication and exponents. The book is a wonderful way to get students thinking out of the box. It contains very deep thinking and would be great for advanced students. It had a great ending and it explains in the end how there will always be a big ...more
Christine
Jul 16, 2015 Christine rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-math
Lots of information, but I found the talk bubbles confusing to read (wasn't sure what order to read them), and the inclusion of random facts was a bit distracting.
Jie Gao
Jan 19, 2014 Jie Gao rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, math
A very nice book on powers of ten.
Trang
Mar 19, 2012 Trang rated it liked it
Shelves: math
This book is about exponential numbers and how quickly you can count when you use exponents. I would use this book with upper grades to show how quickly numbers can grow when you count exponentially. It gives great real life examples and plenty of facts. I would also use this book to get students to understand our number system which is based on multiples of ten.
Tam
Jul 28, 2014 Tam rated it it was ok
Shelves: educational
This was a pretty boring book but it did have a few fun things to learn like we have 9000 taste buds on our tongue, there are 40,000 different characters in Chinese but only 26 letters in the American alphabet, 100,000 people worked 20 seasons to build one pyramid and I know how "rich" I will be in 30 days if I save 2 pennies a day.
Tiffany Young
Apr 14, 2012 Tiffany Young rated it liked it
Shelves: math
This book is about exponential numbers. It could be used to teach upper grades how quickly numbers can grow when you count exponentially. The book provides real life examples and a lot of facts. This book could also be used with a lesson on our base ten number system. Great book for upper level students!
Ted Parsons
Jun 13, 2012 Ted Parsons rated it really liked it
This is a book that I use every year when beginning a unit on multiples of ten. The reason I use this book is because it's fun to read because of the illustrations are entertaining. Also, it's educational because the content breaks the concept down to a level that student's can grasp.
Bree
Apr 27, 2014 Bree rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-math
Notes:
not a read-aloud due to comic book format
deals with exponents and mammoth number concepts
Nicole
Apr 10, 2013 Nicole rated it it was amazing
On Beyond a Million is about just that. This book should be used in teaching value associated with larger numbers. There are smaller numbers such as 60,000, but it goes up and up from there. Other concepts touched upon are exponents and multiplication.

Ages 6 and up.
Elizabeth Bae
Jun 16, 2009 Elizabeth Bae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
This is a fun book that teaches students about exponents. It includes real facts that are very interesting. I plan on using this when I teach students about the different types of notation (scientific, exponential, standard).
Lauren Hahn
Jun 13, 2012 Lauren Hahn rated it it was amazing
Awesome. Love the "Did you know?" sections. I could definitely use this to talk about big numbers. The format of the book will interest kids since it looks like a comic book.
Jessica
Jun 13, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
I think kids would enjoy this comic strip format and the interesting short facts along the margins. Good book to use with teaching place value.
Christina
Jun 13, 2012 Christina rated it liked it
Kind of hard to take in the information on each page. Lots of speech bubbles and facts.
Erin
Funny book and good for intermediate grades. Place value
Eric
First read 1999
Reread 2016. Still good.
Whitney Zollman
Dec 06, 2012 Whitney Zollman rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This would be a great book for a math lesson!!!
Suki
Suki rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Christopher Roberts
Christopher Roberts marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Jh
Jh added it
Aug 25, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Sinda Becker
Sinda Becker marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
As a child, I was filled with a sense of awe as I contemplated the universe. The huge numbers of stars and their sizes and distances never failed to amaze me. With binoculars and magnifying glass, I also focused on closer subjects like birds, flowers, frogs and bugs.

But science and math weren't my only fascinations: I also loved bicycles, baseball, boats…and ice cream. Years later, on a clear spr
More about David M. Schwartz...