Start by marking “Grievous Angel” as Want to Read:
Grievous Angel

Grievous Angel (Bob Skinner #21)

Edinburgh's toughest cop, Bob Skinner, looks into his past to assuage his demons in Quintin Jardine's thrilling new mystery.

Skinner revisits his nightmares: old but not forgotten. Fifteen years in the past, newly promoted Detective Superintendent Bob Skinner is called to investigate a most brutal death. A man lies at the deep end of an empty swimming pool, his neck broken
Published June 2011 by Headline (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Grievous Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grievous Angel

Lewis Weinstein
May 09, 2015 Lewis Weinstein rated it really liked it
A thoroughly enjoyable read. Sharp dialogue, sarcastic and sometimes funny. Skinner is very human, making lots of mistakes in judgment and action, which makes him a very interesting character.

Jardine uses an interesting technique in this novel that I may experiment with in my own new novel. The story is told in the 1st person by Skinner, but it's a case that happened many years before. This allows Skinner to make comments about what's going to happen in the intervening years, a forewarning of fu
Lbaker
Nov 02, 2011 Lbaker rated it really liked it
Book 21 in the Bob Skinner series - as Bob is aging I wondered how the hard man would continue to fit in the always violent series. Quintin Jardine chose to take his hero back and relate in brutal honesty the 15 year old intertwined cases of a mob killing, the interlinking ties of the mob families and a pair of men killed that might have a gay hate crime link - all while balancing being a single father to a 13 year old daughter, a widower, a man who makes mistakes and learns to live with them, a ...more
Scotchneat
Feb 18, 2012 Scotchneat rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
When Jardine writes close in, he's great and I like the device of the origin story here for a well-known detective.

Bob Skinner goes back to his early days as DS and an investigation that starts with a bodyguard found in the deep end of an empty public pool, more than likely tossed there multiple times. On top of that, Skinner is playing the field a bit and that just might get him into depths he's not ready for.

The criminals are familiar if you've read other Skinner stories, and Edinburgh is its
Jan 08, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
This is the latest in the Skinner series and yet it is the first. It is written as Skinner relating his memoirs of a time when he had just been promoted to Detective Superintendent, is still coming to terms with his wife's death and juggling fatherhood with his career and his love life.

Skinner is called in to investigate a horrific death which soon becomes linked to gang crime and sparks retribution within the criminal underworld which the police always seem to be one step behind.

I enjoyed this
Dave H
Mar 09, 2013 Dave H rated it liked it
The book represents somewhat of a shift in style within the Skinner series as it is a first person narrative, written by Skinner - as a reflective memoir. While the premise is interesting and starts out promising - with a hope for some insight into how or why he operates as he does, it quickly descends to a point where it is evident that the approach is merely a device to insert some historical context into the series rather than include another larger than life story set in present day.

Yes, I
Scott Parsons
Jan 20, 2014 Scott Parsons rated it liked it
For the first third of this book I was tempted to put it aside thinking this is a waste of my time. I have enjoyed the recent books in the Bob Skinner series but this flashback to Skinner in 1996 before the first book of the series started is not nearly as satisfying as the recent novels.

However about halfway into the book I got interested and stayed up late to finish it. The introduction of familiar characters such as Andy and Mario at an early stage in their careers is interesting given the la
Alex
Apr 03, 2013 Alex rated it really liked it
The Bob Skinner novels are my guilty pleasure. This one is number 21 in the series but takes you back to 1996 before book 1 starts. Most of the characters from later books are there but much younger! There are also few that have been lost along the way. The story line as usual is set in Edinburgh and involves the dark under belly of the city. The only negative is that I did work out the conclusion well before the end.
Graeme Eyre
Dec 23, 2011 Graeme Eyre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great read; one of my favourite titles by Jardine!
David
Nov 11, 2012 David rated it really liked it
A must for all skinner fans set 15 years in the past it introduces all the main characters that appear in later books.
David
Oct 22, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this even though it probably should have been the first in the series as it gives some of the earlier events of his career.
Halena Frick
Jun 17, 2012 Halena Frick rated it liked it

Story good. A little predictable but a good read
Cath
Nov 21, 2013 Cath rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed reading how Skinner began. Well written.
Cynthia
Apr 28, 2014 Cynthia rated it liked it
Reasonably good detective novel. Skinner is not to be messed with.
Elaine Tomasso
Mar 25, 2017 Elaine Tomasso rated it really liked it
I enjoy Mr Jardine's writing as he has a comfortable style of writing which makes you want to read "just another page" until you've finished. Grievous Angel is another winner but Mr Jardine has succumbed to the latest fashion and written a flashback book where the story is set early in Skinner's career but we have the advantage of modern day asides. I'm not really sure of the point of this exercise as it paints Skinner in an extremely unflattering light as a selfish, know all control freak and t ...more
Joanne Hurley
May 15, 2015 Joanne Hurley rated it really liked it
In which we get to meet the cast of characters featured in just about every Bob Skinner book from "Skinner's Rules" onward, and witness the beginning of their careers. An excellent introduction - albeit more than halfway through Skinner's story.
Amanda
Nov 04, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing
good
A.F. Henley
Feb 23, 2016 A.F. Henley rated it really liked it
Completely met expectations--a good dose of intrigue, a touch of humour, a bit of angsty romance, and some good old-fashioned "bad guy got 'em good' murder scenes. Overall an enjoyable read.
Craig Gillan
Jun 07, 2015 Craig Gillan rated it really liked it
Trip back in time to one of skinners old cases
Jerome
May 28, 2012 Jerome rated it liked it
Really I rate this book at 2.5 stars. I just could not stay interested in it. This was not a mystery so much as a romantic copy story.
Chris Wright
Nov 24, 2013 Chris Wright rated it liked it
It's OK. Not as good as Rebus, to which it is impossible not to compare it. I'll probably not read any more of this series. But it was an OK book.
Sondra Galioway
Sondra Galioway rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2012
Blodget
Blodget rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2014
Sarah Bremer
Sarah Bremer rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2016
Heather Baxter
Heather Baxter rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2013
Alan
Alan rated it really liked it
May 21, 2014
Butool Khan
Butool Khan rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2015
Gail
Gail rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2014
John Morrison
John Morrison rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2016
John Carson
John Carson rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Hanging Wood (Lake District Mystery #5)
  • Truth Lies Bleeding (DI Rob Brennan #1)
  • The Cleansing
  • Old Enemies
  • Touch
  • Not Dead, Only Resting: A Charles Paris Mystery
  • Murder at Deviation Junction (Jim Stringer, #4)
  • Married for God: Making Your Marriage the Best It Can Be
  • Body Line (Bill Slider,#13)
  • Schemers (Nameless Detective, #33)
  • Playing With Bones (Joe Plantagenet, #2)
  • Black Wattle Creek (Charlie Berlin, #2)
  • The Wages Of Sin (Parish & Richards #2)
  • One Sunday
  • Torn (CSI Reilly Steel, #2)
  • Violent Exposure (Detective Ella Marconi #4)
  • Majic Man (Nathan Heller, #11)
Quintin Jardine is the author of two much-acclaimed and best-selling series of detective novels, as Eddie Bell and Pat Lomax, his agents, can be heard proclaiming to anyone who is listening, at book festivals around the world.

QJ is a crusty but urbane Scot, in his prime, and done with disclosing his age. (What’s that got to do with it anyway?) He was born in Motherwell, Lanarkshire, and educated
More about Quintin Jardine...

Bob Skinner (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Skinner's Rules (Bob Skinner, #1)
  • Skinner's Festival
  • Skinner's Trail (Bob Skinner, #3)
  • Skinner's Round (Bob Skinner, #4)
  • Skinner's Ordeal (Bob Skinner, #5)
  • Skinner's Mission (Bob Skinner, #6)
  • Skinner's Ghosts (Bob Skinner, #7)
  • Murmuring the Judges (Bob Skinner, #8)
  • Gallery Whispers (Bob Skinner, #9)
  • Thursday Legends (Bob Skinner, #10)