Start by marking “Grievous Angel” as Want to Read:
Grievous Angel

Grievous Angel (Bob Skinner #21)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Edinburgh's toughest cop, Bob Skinner, looks into his past to assuage his demons in Quintin Jardine's thrilling new mysterySkinner revisits his nightmares: old but not forgotten. Fifteen years in the past, newly promoted Detective Superintendent Bob Skinner is called to investigate a most brutal death. A man lies at the deep end of an empty swimming pool, his neck broken a ...more
Published June 2011 by Headline (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Grievous Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grievous Angel

Lbaker
Book 21 in the Bob Skinner series - as Bob is aging I wondered how the hard man would continue to fit in the always violent series. Quintin Jardine chose to take his hero back and relate in brutal honesty the 15 year old intertwined cases of a mob killing, the interlinking ties of the mob families and a pair of men killed that might have a gay hate crime link - all while balancing being a single father to a 13 year old daughter, a widower, a man who makes mistakes and learns to live with them, a ...more
Scott Parsons
For the first third of this book I was tempted to put it aside thinking this is a waste of my time. I have enjoyed the recent books in the Bob Skinner series but this flashback to Skinner in 1996 before the first book of the series started is not nearly as satisfying as the recent novels.

However about halfway into the book I got interested and stayed up late to finish it. The introduction of familiar characters such as Andy and Mario at an early stage in their careers is interesting given the la
Scotchneat
When Jardine writes close in, he's great and I like the device of the origin story here for a well-known detective.

Bob Skinner goes back to his early days as DS and an investigation that starts with a bodyguard found in the deep end of an empty public pool, more than likely tossed there multiple times. On top of that, Skinner is playing the field a bit and that just might get him into depths he's not ready for.

The criminals are familiar if you've read other Skinner stories, and Edinburgh is its
This is the latest in the Skinner series and yet it is the first. It is written as Skinner relating his memoirs of a time when he had just been promoted to Detective Superintendent, is still coming to terms with his wife's death and juggling fatherhood with his career and his love life.

Skinner is called in to investigate a horrific death which soon becomes linked to gang crime and sparks retribution within the criminal underworld which the police always seem to be one step behind.

I enjoyed this
Dave H
The book represents somewhat of a shift in style within the Skinner series as it is a first person narrative, written by Skinner - as a reflective memoir. While the premise is interesting and starts out promising - with a hope for some insight into how or why he operates as he does, it quickly descends to a point where it is evident that the approach is merely a device to insert some historical context into the series rather than include another larger than life story set in present day.

Yes, I
Cynthia
Reasonably good detective novel. Skinner is not to be messed with.
Alex
The Bob Skinner novels are my guilty pleasure. This one is number 21 in the series but takes you back to 1996 before book 1 starts. Most of the characters from later books are there but much younger! There are also few that have been lost along the way. The story line as usual is set in Edinburgh and involves the dark under belly of the city. The only negative is that I did work out the conclusion well before the end.
Obisbooks
Not my favorite of the series, because it goes back in time not continuing on from the last in the series, but it was interesting to see how they got started as cops.
Chris Wright
It's OK. Not as good as Rebus, to which it is impossible not to compare it. I'll probably not read any more of this series. But it was an OK book.
David
Enjoyed this even though it probably should have been the first in the series as it gives some of the earlier events of his career.
Jerome
Really I rate this book at 2.5 stars. I just could not stay interested in it. This was not a mystery so much as a romantic copy story.
David
A must for all skinner fans set 15 years in the past it introduces all the main characters that appear in later books.
Graeme Eyre
This is a great read; one of my favourite titles by Jardine!
Halena Frick

Story good. A little predictable but a good read
Cath
Really enjoyed reading how Skinner began. Well written.
Sandra
Not as good as others in this series.
Kooky Sumabat-Chan
Kooky Sumabat-Chan marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Rita Ansbro
Rita Ansbro marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Asmaa
Asmaa marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Ela Florowska
Ela Florowska marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Michelle See
Michelle See marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Brian Bolli
Brian Bolli marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Rdurie
Rdurie marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Hanging Wood (Lake District Mystery #5)
  • The Cleansing
  • Touch
  • Murder at Deviation Junction (Jim Stringer, #4)
  • So Much Blood
  • Black Wattle Creek (Charlie Berlin, #2)
  • Fatal Impact
  • A Better Quality of Murder (Lizzie Martin, #3)
  • Camouflage (Nameless Detective, #35)
  • Carnal Hours (Nathan Heller, #7)
  • Body Line (Bill Slider,#13)
  • Vigilante (Jessica Daniel, #2)
  • The Color of Blood (Ed Loy, #2)
  • Burial Of Ghosts
  • The Last Explorer: Hubert Wilkins, Hero of the Great Age of Polar Exploration
  • The Unquiet Heart (Danny McRae, #2)
  • Murder Down Under
  • A Perfect Death (Wesley Peterson, #13)
Quintin Jardine is the author of two much-acclaimed and best-selling series of detective novels, as Eddie Bell and Pat Lomax, his agents, can be heard proclaiming to anyone who is listening, at book festivals around the world.

QJ is a crusty but urbane Scot, in his prime, and done with disclosing his age. (What’s that got to do with it anyway?) He was born in Motherwell, Lanarkshire, and educated
More about Quintin Jardine...

Bob Skinner (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Skinner's Rules