Start by marking “Above Hallowed Ground” as Want to Read:
Above Hallowed Ground

Above Hallowed Ground

On the morning of September 11th, a new kind of horror shook the world. Terrorists crashed two passenger airliners into the World Trade Center in the worst attack on U.S. soil in the nation's history. But at the same time a new generation of heroes rose up to fight it. This book chronicles not only the devastation of that day, but also the valor and heroism of those who sa ...more
Published August 26th 2002 by Avery

To ask other readers questions about Above Hallowed Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Above Hallowed Ground

chucklesthescot
Beautiful, dramatic and harrowing photographs taken on 9/11 by NYPD photographers ie close ups from the helicopter, and trapped by the dust cloud. From the air you really do get a sense of the scale of the disaster as it is unfolding. It is tragic to see a vibrant city standing on that beautiful day with the surreal dust cloud snaking through it, knowing what the cloud contains. There are also photos of the night rescue, rescue dogs, rescues from the rubble and the damage to nearby buildings.
Kyleen
Jul 31, 2013 Kyleen rated it really liked it
Wow. These are photographs taken by the NYPD, and most I had not seen before. The perspectives of these are amazing, and I honestly never could quite take in the entirety of the decimation before seeing these.

The clunky text bothered me, as did the repeated use of male pronouns to describe the rescue workers. Sometimes sentences are in all caps, sometimes they are not, and for no reason. I know this may sound nitpicky, since the work is all about the photographs, but I almost wish there was no t
Jessica
Sep 18, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
The clear, dusty photographs are that special kind of beautiful - the haunting, horrifying kind. There is little else to say... except that if, like me, the gorgeous azure sky of that day has stuck with you for 11 years - this book's photos clearly show the delineation between the blue heaven and the gray despair and clear hope below.
Lauren
(your) God. Damn. Horrifying and poignant and beautiful and so, so dusty. Unfathomable devastation. Unspeakable loss. No wonder it took me ten years to open this book. Politics aside, these photos have an important place in our history and our collective memory.
Kelly
Jul 08, 2016 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Moving pictorial tribute of 9/11.
Rad
Rad rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2016
Teddie
Teddie rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2011
Katie Shepherd
Katie Shepherd rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2015
Deborah
Deborah rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2007
Mike Talley Jr
Mike Talley Jr rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2009
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2014
Jed H. Anderson
Jed H. Anderson rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2015
John Emmerling
John Emmerling rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2017
David
David rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2012
Brad
Brad rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2013
Tom Defrates
Tom Defrates rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Holly Birch
Holly Birch rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2012
Grumps52
Grumps52 rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2017
Lyndsey
Lyndsey rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2012
Kelley Tackett
Kelley Tackett rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2014
Robert Kaufman
Robert Kaufman rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2012
Glady
Glady rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2015
Philip
Philip rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2012
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2011
Mattias Indy
Mattias Indy rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Justin Levy
Justin Levy rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2016
Tricia
Tricia rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2012
R. F,
R. F, rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Meera
Meera rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Julie Christiano
A great precursor to Gettyburg trip! Will go back to review now that I have been there!