Hawthorne's Short Stories

Hawthorne's Short Stories

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  920 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Twenty-four of the best short stories by one of the early masters of the form, in the definitive collection edited by acclaimed scholar Newton Arvin.

Nathaniel Hawthorne was one of the greatest American writers of the nineteenth century, and some of his most powerful work was in the form of fable-like tales that make rich use of allegory and symbolism. The dark beauty and m...more
Published January 11th 2011 by Vintage (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Hawthorne's Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hawthorne's Short Stories

emily
Apr 11, 2008 emily rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes creepy cautionary tales
i'm not actually sure i've read all the stories in here, but i had to put something up to stand for how much i love hawthorne's short fiction. i read the stories mostly one at a time, during a class on american lit in college. i thought i hated american lit, and i was mostly right, but boy was i wrong about hawthorne. :)
Lauren
I love Hawthorne's short stories, particularly from the perspective of a sci-fi geek. Many of his short stories reach into the realm of proto-sci-fi, complete with strange creatures living inside people and mad scientists.
Laura Lynch
Classic writter-insiteful-really gets under the skin of his characters. I have read this book before but return to it as the stories are multi-layered and lush.
Derek
It’s unfortunate that most of the work collected in Hawthorne’s Short Stories fails to live up to the towering achievement that is “Young Goodman Brown,” though many do a commendable job when taken on their own terms. The indelible “Ethan Brand” is fantastic, as is “Egotism; or, The Bosom Serpent,” but there’s an awful lot of filler here, including one too many allegorical attacks on the Transcendentalists.

Hawthorne has a strange way of writing third-person limited narratives. Many begin with a...more
James
Specter and Science:
The tales in this collection include some of the best written by Hawthorne. Among them it is hard to rate one over another, however Rappaccini's Daughter is near the top. A tale of the natural versus the supernatural with overtones of professional jealousy, first love, and the desire for perfection. Perfection as desiderata, but unwillingness to pay the price. There are two scientists in Baglioni and Rappaccini himself. The latter seems to have created a new Eden with his gar...more
Oswald
Jan 20, 2010 Oswald rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Veronica Cepellos
Hawthorne's short stories are imaginative. This book definitely inspired me to start writing the short stories that I've had in mind for years already. I skipped only about 3 stories out of 24. If I skipped it, it's because I really couldn't keep reading it due to extreme boredom. However, most of them are extremely compelling in that allegorical way. My favorite stories are The Ministers Black Veil, The Birthmark, Egotism; or, the Bosom Serpent, The Artist of the Beautiful, The Great Stone Face...more
Catherine
Despite the meager 3 stars that I gave this book, I really did enjoy Mr. Hawthorne's stories. The reason for the low rating is that my enjoyment was more intellectual appreciation than visceral pleasure. I think that in many cases the message that Mr. Hawthorne was attempting to impart got in the way of the story that was to impart it, and sometimes the story even degenerated into a sort of list. That said, I share much of Mr. Hawthorne's outrage and frustration at the state of the world. Not th...more
Jessica
This book of short stories is very good, but like anything written by Hawthorne, the language can be a little tougher to wade through than some of the fiction we choose to read. I think it was definitely better reading a story here or there in between other books than reading all the stories back to back give the reoccurring themes. If I would have read them back to back, I think it would have felt repetitive in terms of the messages/lessons within.
Kristin
I know he's a literary classic for a reason however I found very few stories in this large compilation that I remotely enjoyed. I guess if you want to feel better about your life read these stories. I enjoyed some of the longer works as they felt finished where the shorter ones were rushed and had the cliched wrap it up ending (though tragic instead of happy). Rappachini's Daughter and The Birthmark were my favorites.
Jodie
I've had a hard time enjoying my reading because in the end his stories are very redundant, dealing with the same theme disguised in allegorical tales. However I still enjoyed about 3 short stories including Feathertop (which reminded me a lot of Hayao Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle), The Birthmark and The Ambitious Guest.
Jim
Here's a collection of short stories by the greatest American writer of short stories. I'm not sure what I like most about Hawthorne, this constant wrestling with his/our Puritian forefathers or the importance/use of color in his writing.
Troy Storm
Wonderful book of short stories by one of our greatest writers. Takes a bit of getting used to, they were written mid-1800s, but are more than worth it. Some eerie, some fairly light, but all intensely evocative.
Abby Sominski
I read this book while stuck in the back of the house keeping my dog company while a repairman was doing work elsewhere, I had read a few of the stories previously but found several new ones I liked.
Bookzo
Once again, I read this classic; I will assign it to English 11 Honors. Since I visited some of Hawthorne's haunts this summer, I wanted to re-read it. Always a great story.
Samantha
Aug 05, 2007 Samantha rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all humans
I was shocked at how much I loved many of the Nathaniel Hawthorne's short stories included in this book. I was especially moved by "Wakefield" and "The Great Stone Face."
Krichter
Some of the themes get repetitive if you read the entire book at once, and I also got tired of the feeble female protagonists, but Hawthorne has a way with words.
Amy
Had to read these for a class at the Institute. Liked them o.k., discovered I am not such a big fan of Hawthorne's SS.
Maria Troegel
A classic writer. My favorite short story of Hawthorne's is "The Artist of the Beautiful."
Caleb
Beautiful, lush, dark, and romantic. These stories are nothing short of wonderful.
V
great collection of short stories. i really like "the minister's black veil."
Jaclyn
We didn't actually read the whole thing in school, just skipped around...
Master Chief
I really didnt like this book. i only read it for class
Jennie
have not read all of these. my favorite is "Wakefield"
Steven
Mar 12, 2007 Steven rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: classics
Hawthornes short stories are awesome!
Joseph
Shorter than S Letter! ;]
Ben Gandy
Absolutely fantastic!
Chelsea Brown
Chelsea Brown marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Emily Mcdonald
Emily Mcdonald marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
  • Tales Of Unease
  • The Best American Short Stories 1997
  • The Haunted Dolls' House and Other Ghost Stories
  • Great Ghost Stories (Thrift Editions)
  • The Science Fiction of Edgar Allan Poe
  • The Complete Poems
  • The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories
  • Great Short Works
  • A Defence of Poetry
  • The Works of John Donne (Poetry Library)
  • Poems and Other Writings (Library of America #118)
  • The Autobiography of William Butler Yeats
Nathaniel Hawthorne was a 19th century American novelist and short story writer. He is seen as a key figure in the development of American literature for his tales of the nation's colonial history.

Shortly after graduating from Bowdoin College, Hathorne changed his name to Hawthorne. Hawthorne anonymously published his first work, a novel titled Fanshawe, in 1828. In 1837, he published Twice-Told T...more
More about Nathaniel Hawthorne...
The Scarlet Letter The House of the Seven Gables Young Goodman Brown and Other Short Stories Young Goodman Brown The Minister's Black Veil