Start by marking “Who's in Rabbit's House?: A Masai Tale” as Want to Read:

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The opening pages of the book set the scene as the expectant onlookers gather before the drawn curtain. Then, as the play begins, the perspective shifts and reader becomes the real audience to this unique performance.
Published October 15th 1992 by Puffin Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Who's in Rabbit's House?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who's in Rabbit's House?

Mariel
Who's in Rabbit's House?
By Verna Aardema
This book is a very adventurous and funny. Rabbit seems to like being by himself, and one day at his home someone decided to play a prank on him by not letting him in. This animal pretended to be a scary animal called the Long One and wouldn't let Rabbit in his home. All the jungle animals tried to help but rabbit wasn't very appreciative of all the options because he was too worried about his home, and finally the sma
midnightfaerie
A great educational book for your children over the preschool age. My 5 yr old loved it. Lots of good information with beautiful pictures that will help keep children engaged. Aardema is a wonderful addition to any geography or history or culture lesson. A great addition to any children's library.
My summary: This retelling of a traditional Masai tale turns it into a dramatic performance by masked Masai actors before their fellow villagers, in which the jungle animals try to help Rabbit reclaim his house.

The Dillons' exotic, evocative illustrations give a new twist to this retold folk tale by making it a masked performance by Masai actors. The dynamic illustrations show movement through a series of still frames, and the masks change ever so subtly to convey the character's emotions. Aarde
Carole
Rabbit lives in a hut on a bluff beside a path leading to the lake. All the animals pass by on their way to and from the lake. One day rabbit is coming back to his hut and hears someone's voice from inside his hut harshly saying that, "I am The Long One. I eat trees and trample on elephants. Go away! Or I will trample on you!"

Each animal tries to find out who the speaker is and tries unsuccssfully to get him out of the hut.
Katherine Cowley
I liked this because it's a story from another culture, with a different approach to storytelling. It's also has a frame story: we see the characters setting up the play, and the whole time we're reminded that this is a play because the characters wear animal costumes on their heads. I loved doing voices for the different animals. My 3 year old loved this book, and the fun twist at the end.
Kacey Marshall
An amusing twist on an otherwise typical book, Verna Aardema retells this folktale in a traditional style, presenting it in a play format. I enjoyed the story, but I thought it ended rather abruptly and had no moral or purpose to the tale, which is common among folktales. Leo and Diane Dillon created incredible illustrations, merging their own ideas with elements of Masai artwork. The pictures show the story in a play setting, complete with Masai tribe members in animal masks. I would recommend ...more
Arline
Another good Aardema read aloud book! The pictures show the action beautifully.
It would be interesting to have a class come up with the moral to this story. First make a story map of the problem and resolution on a chart with students. Think of Why questions we can ask to understand the reason the characters do what they do.
Turn this story into a Readers Theater. Students could work on expression and tone.
Betsy
This is a story our children's librarian used to tell via flannel board and the kids LOVED it. The Dillons' art has offered a unique interpretation: the humans are putting this on as a play and use masks to indicate which animal they are. The final page shows the real animals looking on in disbelief--as if they're wondering what in the world those silly people are doing.
Heather
This book kicked off our love for African tales. My kids couldn't get enough of them.

The pictures are bold and colorful. The story is clever and just plain fun. We loved making the noises that go along with the actions.

We use this for our study of Africa, but love to read it any time we can.
Dolly
Jun 13, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun story, illustrated as a play where people wear animal masks. The rabbit wants to go back in his house, but a scary creature has inhabited it and says that it eats trees and tramples on elephants. Creature after creature comes by to help, but it is the frog who saves the day.
Susan Erhardt
I wasn't that excited about this book until I took it home. My ten-year-old liked it and my five-year-old wanted it read to her over and over again. Then she had it memorized and wanted to "read" it to me! It definitely grew on me.
Cara
This one was strange. Rabbit needs help getting The Long One out of her house. Frog tries to help, but Rabbit says that Frog is too small. All of the big animals try to help but they just make things worse.
Leigh
A funny story where none of the animals can figure who the heck has taken over Rabbit's house. Great fun to act out, doing the voices of the various animals as they try to help their friend Rabbit.
Anna
This book is a classic! I really want to use it for story time but I don't think I can make all the animal sounds correctly. Hmmm, maybe I'll try using noise makes and instruments instead.
Rachel
(Picture Book) Someone is in rabbit's house, and the other animals try to help rabbit get the unwanted visitor out. This could easily be adapted for a reader's theater.
Tori "Carina"
This book can lead to a variety of teachable moments from:

artistic style,
a story within a story,
we even created a play and masks

Kathy
It was ok, but I didn't much like the ending once the scary animal who took over rabbit's house turned out to be a caterpillar.
Vee
The illustrations make this book a joy. This simple tale has a nice surprise in the end and the illustrated background.
a good story for summarization, and teaches African traditions
a good story for summarization, and teaches African traditions
June
One of my standard go tos for black history month programs
Peacegal
Traditional tale with lots of sound effects.
Theresa
a african theme folk tale
Jeneva
Sep 15, 2007 Jeneva rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: childrens
One of my absolute favorites.
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Michele Darmanin
Michele Darmanin marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Michelle Cross
Michelle Cross marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
  • Liang and the Magic Paintbrush
  • Once a Mouse...
  • Follow the Drinking Gourd
  • Charlie Anderson
  • The Last Quest of Gilgamesh (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #3)
  • Ruby
  • Love and Roast Chicken: A Trickster Tale from the Andes Mountains
  • The Caterpillar and the Polliwog
Verna Norberg Aardema Vugteveen (6 June 1911 – 11 May 2000), best known by the name Verna Aardema, was an American author of children's books.

Born in New Era, Michigan she graduated from Michigan State University with a B.A. of Journalism in 1934. She worked as a grade school teacher from 1934 to 1973 and became a correspondent for the Muskegon Chronicle in 1951, which lasted until 1972, the year
More about Verna Aardema...
Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears Bringing the Rain to Kapiti Plain: A Nandi Tale Borreguita and the Coyote (Reading Rainbow Books) Anansi Does The Impossible!: An Ashanti Tale The Lonely Lioness and the Ostrich Chicks: A Masai Tale