Start by marking “Eddie's Toolbox and How to Make and Mend Things” as Want to Read:
Eddie's Toolbox and How to Make and Mend Things

Eddie's Toolbox and How to Make and Mend Things

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  6 reviews
When new neighbours move in next door, Eddie is disappointed that there is a new friend for his sister but not for him. But then Tom needs help putting up shelves in the kitchen and asks Eddie to help him as his little girl and Eddie's sister explore the garden together. Soon Eddie is learning to use a saw and hammer and is screwing in hooks to hang cups. Eddie's sister ha ...more
Published May 1st 2011 by Frances Lincoln Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Eddie's Toolbox and How to Make and Mend Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eddie's Toolbox and How to Make and Mend Things

Nicola
This is a really lovely book. The writing is lovely, the characters are lovely and the story is engaging and well paced. Did I mention lovely?

The theme of Eddie learning to make and mend things is a great, age-appropriate one and at the back of the book are descriptions of tools Eddie uses, along with suggested ways to introduce them to a child and some projects just like Eddie's.

My son is really enjoying this book, and identifies very strongly with Eddie, in particular with Eddie's desire to ma
The Library Lady
Eddie, his mum and his sister Lily are pleased to welcome Tom and his daughter to the house next door. Tilly is Lily's age, but there is no child Eddie's age. But Eddie strikes up a friendship with Tom and begins to learn how to use tools from him and how to make things from the scraps of the projects he does with Tom. Soon the whole group is making a bird table for the backyard. Tom and Mum present Eddie with his own toolbox and their first project is a gate between their houses.

Adults reading
Sarah Healy
Lots of good role modelling in this series; welcoming new neighbours, looking after younger sisters. I love that Eddie is useful, helpful, skilful, capable. Inspires us to get our own tool box and reminds me how capable and resourceful our kids are.
Teresa
Eddie's disappointed because the new neighbors don't have a child his age, but they have something even better--the single dad needs a helper for his home-improvement projects and is eager to teach Eddie how to get things done.

What I especially liked about this was the unspoken fact that Eddie's got a single mom, and the new neighbor is on his own, too. Observant kids may notice a glance between the two grownups, and they all decide to put a gate in the fence between their gardens. Or it may go
Brianna
Good book! I like the story line Eddie's neighbors moved in and there was no one for him to hang out with, but the neighbor Tom helped him build all these things for the new house! Eventually Eddie got a toolbox of his own, and he fixed and built things all day long!
Rosemary
Perfectly structured story for young children, although some caregivers may baulk at the sparrow being eaten by the cat (not me. I also think children should be told where meat comes from).
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Logan
Logan marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Ritika
Ritika marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2013
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2013
Briana Ledesma-munoz
Briana Ledesma-munoz marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2013
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2012
There is more than one author with this name.

Sarah Garland has written and illustrated over forty picture books and adventure stories for young children. She is best known for her warm and witty portrayals of family relationships, and for her outstanding work for preschool picture books.

She lives in the beautiful village of Chedworth in the Cotswolds with
her husband, artist David Garland.
More about Sarah Garland...
Azzi in Between Eddie's Garden and How to Make Things Grow Eddie's Kitchen and How To Make Good Things to Eat The Complete Book of Herbs & Spices Going Shopping