Start by marking “Birds Without Wings - Abridged” as Want to Read:
Birds Without Wings - Abridged

Birds Without Wings - Abridged

Birds Without Wings traces the fortunes of one small community in southwest Turkey (Anatolia) in the early part of the last century — a quirky community in which Christian and Muslim lives and traditions have co-existed peacefully over the centuries and where friendship, even love, has transcended religious differences.

But with the disintegration of the Ottoman Empire and
Audio, Abridged, 0 pages
Published April 29th 2004 by Random House Audio (first published April 24th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Birds Without Wings - Abridged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Birds Without Wings - Abridged

Sue
Aug 28, 2013 Sue rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, ionia
A masterpiece!
Set in a small village in Anatolia populated by Greeks, Turks, Armenians, and other Ottomans in the early 20th century, this novel follows several "main" characters as the empire collapses and the republic is born. Although these sweeping political changes are far from the consciousness of the villagers, their effects are personal. The narrative perspective shifts among these characters as de Bernieres tells their stories, even weaving in historical chapters about Kemal Atatürk. Th
Sara
Jan 14, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful writing and story telling.
90+ Chapters and 19 CD and I never got bored with the story.

Beautifully written and historically accurate, I truly enjoyed the Historical context of "Birds without Wings"
Jumana
Aug 07, 2015 Jumana rated it it was amazing
I found this at our office's lending library and picked it up because I loved Corelli's Mandolin (the book, never saw the movie). Birds Without Wings is even better. Truly.

De Berniers characters are lovable (for the most part) with their strengths and flaws emerging as time passes. He is brilliant at depicting small town life, describing how lifelong friendships emerge, how jealousies and prejudices fester, and how families evolve over time.

Since I have a one-hour commute, I've learned to love
Sheila Woofter
May 31, 2012 Sheila Woofter rated it it was amazing
I can't say enough about this book. Love and loss, prejudice and understanding, perspective on the lead-up to the state of Turkey. What a WONDERFUL read!!! I knew nothing about this part of the world, and enjoyed this novel that wove Ataturk into the background story. In all fairness, I have to say that I LISTENED to the book, which I would highly recommend. The narrator was flawless and it added so much to the beautiful way Bernieres wrote. The story is told through several characters who live ...more
Susan
I loved this book -- once again, a big book filled with many fascinating characters that I could get lost in. I read it in connection with my Contemporary Literature course, the theme of this semester being World War I. It takes place in a small village in the dying Ottoman Empire, a place that I knew very little about. Nor did I know anything about its role in World War I. The village has survived for years with a mixture of Christians and Muslims of Turkish, Greek and Armenia descent, getting ...more
Hummingbird Farms
Apr 04, 2013 Hummingbird Farms rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, turkey
I really enjoyed this book ! Gave a definite feel of how Turkey really was at the fall of the Ottoman Empire by telling very different individual's stories.
Julie
Sep 20, 2016 Julie rated it it was ok
Shelves: unfinished
Even the excellent narration from John Lee couldn't spur me to complete listening to this book. It might be excellent but my powers of concentration are not and my time is precious.
Susie
Feb 07, 2011 Susie rated it did not like it
I read about a third of the book and couldn't continue. I found the characters and the setting confusing.
Claire
Claire rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2011
Pavlína
Pavlína rated it it was ok
Oct 05, 2011
Pam
Pam rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2015
James Champ
James Champ rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2011
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
May 02, 2015
Lara Knitter
Lara Knitter rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Krittika
Krittika rated it liked it
May 22, 2014
Anna Anthony
Anna Anthony rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2011
Kathleen Frances
Kathleen Frances rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2011
Nancy
Feb 17, 2011 Nancy marked it as to-read
Very difficult read -- not the right time
Michelle Harrison
Michelle Harrison rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Lladroluv
Lladroluv rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2010
Charlotte Willett
Charlotte Willett rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2011
Ruth
Ruth rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2015
Csrabb
Csrabb rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2012
Donna Montgomery
Donna Montgomery rated it did not like it
Mar 14, 2016
karen
karen rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2015
Sigrid
Sigrid rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2014
Elizabeth Sulzby
Elizabeth Sulzby rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2014
Joan
Joan rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2015
Claire Fletcher
Claire Fletcher rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2011
Elizabeth Adams
Elizabeth Adams rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Novelist Louis de Bernières was born in London in 1954. He joined the army at 18 but left after spending four months at Sandhurst. After graduating from the Victoria University of Manchester, he took a postgraduate certificate in Education at Leicester Polytechnic and obtained his MA at the University of London.

Before writing full-time, he held many varied jobs including landscape gardener, motor
More about Louis de Bernières...