Start by marking “Curious Notions (Crosstime Traffic, #2)” as Want to Read:
Curious Notions (Crosstime Traffic, #2)

Curious Notions (Crosstime Traffic #2)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  377 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In a parallel-world 21st-century San Francisco where the Kaiser's Germany won World War One and went on to dominate the world, Paul Gomes and his father Lawrence are secret agents for our timeline, posing as traders from a foreign land. They run a storefront shop called Curious Notions, selling what is in our world routine consumer technology-record players, radios, casset ...more
Published November 29th 2005 by Tor Science Fiction (first published October 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Curious Notions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curious Notions

Aryn
This does rate a solid 4 stars in my book.

Paul and his father are from the Home Timeline, a timeline where technology has advanced a bit further than it has in our own and inflation has hit the world much, much worse. The Home Timeline is like an exaggerated version of our world. There are so many people that the world is starving, cars are cleaner, more animals are extinct, gadgets are even more prevalent, and of course, they can travel across alternate timelines. It appears that alternate time
T.J.
Turtledove does better here on this Crosstime Traffic novel, which stipulates what might have happened if the Germans had won World War I and gone on to conquer the rest of the world eventually, having never created an angry, revanchist regime like Hitler's Nazism.

Paul Gomes, an average teenager going through a typical clash with his father, is a Crosstime Trader--he operates a low level electronics shop in a decrepit, bombed-out San Francisco while also buying food from California's abundant ce
Glen Robinson
The Crosstime Traffic series is based on the premise of a world with depleting natural resources that also discovers the existence of alternate world. They develop a machine that helps them travel back and forth. They use that machine, and the teams that travel with them, to trade simple, but high-technology devices, with the other worlds in exchange for food and other things needed, while keeping the idea of cross-dimensional travel secret. Curious Notions is the name of the shop out of which t ...more
Mathew Whitney
This book was much more consistently written with much more believable main characters than the first in the Crosstime Traffic series. The story held more of my interest throughout the book, instead of taking half the book to get me interested.

The writing still feels like an attempt to over-explain and dumb everything down for the audience, and this definitely kept me from giving it a higher rating than the first. Since the timeline featured in this book was intended to be closer to 20th century
Lori Wilkey
I love Harry Turtledove. I do feel that this book was one of his weaker stories. This is a juvenile fiction story. The kids in the book are pretty believable but the protagonist's father is fairly one dimensional. The plot is good as is the story. I feel he could have worked on characterization a bit more. There is no need to "write down" for teenagers.
Noelle
Teenager Paul Gomes and his father travel to the San Francisco of an alternate timeline, one where Germany won World War I and America is dominated by the Kaiser’s Germany. Their mission is to bring home produce for their own resource-depleted timeline. To locals like Lucy Woo, a 16-year old who works full time to support her family, Paul and his father are known as the keepers of an electronics shop called Curious Notions. When both the German police and the Chinese triads get suspicious about ...more
Alan Gilfoy
I'm starting to like Turtledove's adult work; this is one of his books aimed at a younger audience. It was the only book of his a particular library had, and I often pick up YA books for quick easy reads.

It was an interesting premise, using alternate worlds to address the main world's resource needs. That sounded awfully familiar. However, I later realized I had read another book in the series awhile ago before I got into Turtledove in particular. That was Gunpowder Empire; both did well as stan
Joel Flank
Another great alternate timeline story from Turtledove. Not technically an alternate history, since the series is about travelling to alternate worlds where history was different from ours, but still has the same detailed feeling that Turtledove's alternate history stories do. In this case, the alternate world is one where the Germans won WWI, and slowly took over most of the rest of the world, and now in the late 21st century, the USA is a poor, conquered nation. There, Paul Gomez and his fathe ...more
John
This is definitely a young adult series and better than a lot that I've read. This particular book seemed to be set for the younger of that crowd with a plot that was a bit more loose than some of the others in the series and yet the background was well thought out and might get someone in that age group to ask a question or two about history or even, gasp, look up some history!

Over all a nice light read. Some supporting characters aren't really fleshed out (dad) but that's true of most books fo
Jamie
It's not as good as many other Turtledove books, but I enjoy the concept of the Crosstime Traffic.
The other John
This one's an okay book about a father and son who set up shop in an alternate reality where the Germans won the first World War. The authorities start to suspect them and things go from bad to worse. I got the book because I was curious how the Kaiser's America would compare to other alternate reality tales. It wasn't all that different from a What-If-the-Germans-Won-World-War-2 scenario. No Nazi trappings, of course, but otherwise very familiar.
Nick
Consistent with the series, has a couple of gaping holes in the plot logic, and unlike the rest of the series is weak on using the alternate as a history lesson (there is a lot more depth on the other historical cultures in the rest of the series).
Brentman99
Dec 07, 2013 Brentman99 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who like Turtledoves Crosstime books.
An interesting concept continues. Crosstime agents go back in alternate timelines to see how history played out. These series are a lot of fun the depth of Turtledove's imagination is incredible. I really enjoy these books.
Paul Madarasz
Turtledove creeps into Heinlein juvenalia territory here, with a well-written series about time- and alternate-earth- travelers who go wherever they're headed to, get into scrapes while they're there, and then return.
Mark
Turtledove still has a problem writing convincing characters (the dad is particularly one-note here) but this time he takes the Crosstime Traffic idea and creates a very interesting plot. Nicely done.
Chris Paluszek
I know this book is geared for young adult but I can't help but enjoy this series. The characters feel real and the alternate timelines never fail to fascinate.
Francine
This is book 2 of a series. It is part coming of age story as well as fantasy/time travel fiction.
I receommend this series to teens and their families.
Robert
Better than the first volume in the Crosstime Traffic series, but that's a backhanded compliment.
Dale (Aus)
I have struggled with and others of his books, I just find his style does not work for me.
Paul Ditroia
Overall, started with a bang, ended with a whimper. I'm a fan but not his best work.
Shawn Thrasher
I don't like the Crosstime traffic books as much as I wanted too!
Russell Dixon
Easy read enjoyable for all
Georgina Shores
Georgina Shores marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Micah
Micah marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Andurilx
Andurilx marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
  • Stars and Stripes Forever (Stars and Stripes, #1)
  • The Two Georges
  • 1901
  • 1635: The Dreeson Incident
  • Down to the Sea (Lost Regiment, #9)
  • Household Gods
  • Conqueror (Time's Tapestry, #2)
  • Distant Thunders (Destroyermen, #4)
  • The Shield of Time (Time Patrol, #5)
  • Marching Through Georgia (Draka, #1)
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce
More about Harry Turtledove...
The Guns of the South In the Balance (Worldwar, #1) How Few Remain (Timeline-191, #1) Tilting the Balance (Worldwar, #2) Striking the Balance (Worldwar, #4)