Start by marking “Whores: An Oral Biography of Perry Farrell and Jane's Addiction” as Want to Read:
Whores: An Oral Biography of Perry Farrell and Jane's Addiction

Whores: An Oral Biography of Perry Farrell and Jane's Addiction

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  251 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Takes readers through the formative days of Jane's Addiction to their drug-addled break-up and controversial reunion in 2003
Published May 14th 2014 by Not Avail (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Whores, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whores

Rita
Jul 28, 2013 Rita rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I am... having a... hard time... getting through this one. And I love Jane's Addiction. I agree with the others that it sort of "falls off". Rock-n-Roll books are always an easy read, but I followed up "Just Kids" (Patti Smith) with this one. Big mistake.

Either way, it is the history of one of my top five faves and I have learned of a few more interesting (historical) locations around Hollywood. Now when I drive friends around, I can point out where "Jane" used to score drugs and where the drug
Allison
May 12, 2009 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Obviously I read this book because I'm a huge Jane's Addiction fan, and that's also the only reason I gave it four stars. It wasn't the greatest rock book. If you're not a Jane's/Perry fan, you probably won't find this interesting, whereas I'm not a big Crue fan, but I loved The Dirt. The way it was written as a compilation of quotes made it a fun interesting read, but it sorta dropped off at the end there. Also it needs to be updated because the story wraps up with Carmen and Dave living happil ...more
Cindy
Sep 08, 2009 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
well, if you were/are really into janes addiction and the whole alt/goth rock thing in the 80's/early 90's, you'll dig this book. but you really have to care about the subject matter....otherwise its not really that interesting in itself. personally i liked it, but that's because nothing's shocking kinda changed my life in a small way in 1988. so.

Amanda
Nov 15, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not even a fan of Jane's Addiction, but couldn't put this one down. The format is different from any biography I've read before- the story is told from pieced together articles and interview.
Velvetink
Want to read it. but bought for Essi's birthday!
Lilah
Mar 09, 2009 Lilah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This reads like the west coast version of Please Kill Me, wandering away at times from the band's story and jumping into the whole L.A. underground, the Scream/Lingerie flipside to rampant Sunset pay-to-play poodle metal - and I just read Marc Canter's book on Guns'n'Roses so it was perfect timing to read this soon after. Loved how there were so many voices shaping the narrative in here.

This book really made me miss the late 80's/90's - it was kind of hard to read about Nothing's Shocking, and G
Paul Lyons
Jun 25, 2012 Paul Lyons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chris  Longstreet
I enjoyed the take on telling the band story through everyone's viewpoint who wsa around during the time. Jane's is on of my all-time favorite bands. Throughout drugs and heated tensions, they managed to created enduring music as well push the music scene to the next level. Perry Ferral is schrewd businessman and front man who pushes creativity to the limit. Well worth the read.

As a special aside, probably my all time favorite song is Three Days off Ritual de lo Habitual. I found it interesting
Mike
Oct 01, 2009 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty interesting look at a band I've always liked but didn't know a whole lot about. First impression? Man, they did a lot of drugs. On the one hand, they were so talented that I'm surprised they only made two studio albums in their heyday. On the other hand, they were so effed up that I'm surprised they were able to actually produce two albums. Other than that, the book doesn't really flow all that well, because its basically fifty different people telling the same story, two or three sentenc ...more
ew norris
For the fans. And I am one. So don't get me wrong...
Oral histories are interesting because when you hear an account of situation from a person involved it really shows a lot about who that person is, how they think, how they are, how they... well, talk. The interview is a different and clearer window than a narrative account.

That said, I've personally never been one to want to meet my favorite rock stars. I always figured they are people who say stupid things or have annoying habits or are kind
Sam
Jul 23, 2008 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, okay. I guess the mystique of the band wasn't handled like I thought it could be. Something about this book kind of rubbed me wrong. It had the oral history thing going for it, but everybody involved seemed pretty stuck up while they did the interviews. Like they're the only ones who ever smoked a joint and went to a rehearsal. The forming of the band and its inevitable decline were captured rather nicely (which is usually the best parts of any rock bio for me).
Lylah
Mar 12, 2013 Lylah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another rock oral history in the vein of Please Kill Me (I love these things). It has the expected tales of rock 'n roll excess as well as information on the origins of the band, how the albums were recorded, etc. The main takeaway from this one is that no one who's been seriously involved with Perry Farrell on either a personal or business level would probably refer to him as a "great guy."
Gená scobel
Again reading about people with addictions! this book was rather strange but interesting. Perry is such a unique creature. After reading the book, I became obsessed with Xiola Blue (a real life person in which Perry was involved). I wanted to find out more about her, but there's not much out there I could find. Let me know if you find anything.
brian
Dec 05, 2008 brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
amazing, kind of like a half assed version of please kill me. but still good none the less. i would liken it to ready an extremely long magazine article. there was places for improvement but all in all entertaining and lots of cool inside perspectives on what was happening inside the group.
Stefanielorene
Great book about a greatly underrated and under-appreciated band. Love the oral biography writing style. A must-read for Jane's Addiction fans. The photographs are really great too. It's like "Behind the Music" but better and in book form.
Randall
A book for fans of the band. I remember thinking it made me sad to think it was Perry Ferrell's greed and the other three guys' naivety that meant we got but the three full-lengths from them.
Jessica
I enjoy the "oral history" format when reading about musicians. This one's about Perry Ferrell and Jane's Addiction. You know it will be interesting if it's about that group of guys!
Amanda
Sep 15, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane's Addiction is one of the greatest bands ever. This book made me laugh hysterically, cry uncontrollably, and think constantly.
Matt
Aug 04, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One last secret, funky tale from the LA Underworld before the Age of Overinformation overinformed us.

Cheers.
James Adamiak
Nov 02, 2013 James Adamiak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read for any fan of Janes Addiction. Interviews with the band, old friends and roommates.
M.E.G.
Jul 18, 2008 M.E.G. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Written like a really long magazine article, but an interesting band with an interesting story...
Becky
Mar 01, 2008 Becky is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
After my Nikki Sixx experience, I decided to brush up on my Jane's Addiction...
Suzanne
WOW! What a life these guys had. Don't let the title fool you, good read.
Travis
Nov 08, 2012 Travis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of jane's addiction
If you are a fan of Jane's Addiction, this would be a good read.
Heidi Stone
Heidi Stone rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Bern Dawg
Bern Dawg rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
VintageMe
VintageMe marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Shane Pekrul
Shane Pekrul rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016