Start by marking “It Happened One Night” as Want to Read:
It Happened One Night

It Happened One Night

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  2,163 ratings  ·  95 reviews
It Happened One Night . . . and nothing was ever the same again!

Once upon a time, four superstar storytellers—New York Times bestselling authors Stephanie Laurens and Mary Balogh, along with Jacquie D'Alessandro and Candice Hern—came up with a delicious idea. What if they each wrote a story about a proper young lady stranded at a remote inn away from society's constraints?
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published September 30th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about It Happened One Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Happened One Night

Julie (jjmachshev)
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Oct08

I defy any historical romance reader to pass up an anthology with a writer lineup of Stephanie Laurens, Mary Balogh, Jacquie D’Alessandro, & Candice Hern. I certainly couldn’t…and didn’t. When I asked Quentin to let me review this one, I figured I’d have to fight, bribe, or play dirty to get it. But apparently, my stars are in proper alignment or something because when I opened my latest box, there it was.

In this anthology, each writer was g
Bill
Cindy
An anthology of 4 Regency type stories. All set in different seasons, but each having the same theme : 10 years have passed since the couple have seen each other & they meet again through fate at a roadside inn. Normally, 10 years is way too long IMO for 2 lovers to be apart & it makes me impatient. It works for me with 3 of the stories. There is sex in all of them.

Stephanie Laurens - 2 stars. The only turkey of the bunch, I can't believe they gave her top billing! This story is set in
Ana T.

This anthology has an interesting premise, all the stories feature couples that are known to each other but have been separated for 10 years. They now meet for just one night at an inn and that’s all the time they have to deal with their differences.

The Fall of Rogue Gerrard by Stephanie Laurens
This was my least favorite story. I found no chemistry between the main characters, didn’t feel there was enough development for them for them immediately proceed to the bedroom area. They also weren’t ve
Pam
I only read the Mary Balogh story....SPELLBOUND. It was a sweet story and they both had to realize that what they thought happened didn't. They both (H and h) thought that the other desserted them 10 yrs before on their wedding night. Her father and brother came and grabbed her up from a her hasty wedding in Scotland. They told her to go up to her room and pack and leave with them. She did it thinking her new husband would stop them from taking her away. Well..she didn't know that her father and ...more
Rachel Rogers
The premise: 4 authors use the same plot. 2 people who previously cared for each other but have been apart for years meet by chance at an inn and spend the night under the same roof. Can the stories be different? Yes they can be different, a better question is, can they be good? I have had mixed luck with compilations such as this but this was an exercise in mediocrity. Balogh's story nearly made me put the book down several times. Laurens's was the best of the series, I guess. This was not an i ...more
kris
First: I get that Stephanie Laurens is like a ~Big Deal author or whatever, but I'm getting really done with anthologies that are like "TITLE, by STEPHANIE LAURENS (...& these Other Authors)" and then in the back there's her full bibliography spanning 10 pages with FULL COLOR IMAGES of all her book covers, but then the Other Authors gets a page that says "Other Works by Author". Like, gross.

I've yet to check out a single anthology because her name is on the cover. It's always been because o
Robin
Each story in this anthology has the same basic plot: Hero and heroine who haven't seen each other in 10 years, accidentally meet at a country inn.

This book actually took me a long time to read. I just couldn't get interested in these stories which were mediocre at best. The best for me was Mary Balogh's story of two young lovers separated (by her father) when they were young, now finding each other due to a carriage accident. Neither Laurens or D'Allesandro's stories showed us anything new. Can
Maura
Lynne Tull
Really a great idea! I loved to see how some of my favorite authors interpreted the guidelines of the project and come up with a story unique to them.

Stephanie Laurens...Stephanie had to be frustrated by the space limitations. She had to cut down the seduction to one brief meeting of the H/H. She normally takes half of a book to tell this part of the story. She then takes the other half of the results of the seduction, which she did in this novella. Somewhere she works in a story line.

Mary Balo
Miley the Book Junkie Reads . . .
I have wanted to read this since I read 'It Happened One Season' by the same set of authors. It is pleasant to see the same basic circumstances given and the different spin each author can place on it.

The Fall of Rogue Gerrard (Laurens) The Makepeace's have a closet freak in their midst. It takes a risk operation for her to reveal it.

Spellbound (Balogh) A marriage between classes snatch away. Only to have the two classes roles reversed by circumstance and misfortune. With a simple misconception
☂ ℬrandi
❤❤❤

"What would happen if four authors were each to write a novella for an anthology and...all had to use the same plot premises?" That the challenge and It Happened One Night is the result.

*If you liked this book seek out It Happened One Season.

The Fall of Rogue Gerrard by Stephanie Laurens

On a mission to steal back her sister's compromising letter, Lydia Makepeace plans to sneak into the home of a reputed libertine and orgy enthusiast Stephan Barham. Unmarried at 26, Lydia no longer worries
Viohlet
I didn't finish the last novella, written by Candice Hern, as it bored me, but I enjoyed the other three.

Despite deliberately having the same base plot, all the novellas turned out very differently, and I never once felt that I was reading the same thing again. I actually had to remind myself that they were based upon the same few specific ideas.

The Fall of Rogue Gerrard Stephanie Laurens. 3/5

I enjoyed this, although the heroine, Lydia, was a little TSTL. Her protests and what not were really st
Janet
It Happened One Night (2008) by Stephanie Laurens, Mary Balogh, Jacquie D’Alessandro, Candice Hern

What a great idea here, I am surprised I hadn’t read anything like this before. The selection by these authors is the same premise. They all worked off the same plot points and without any collaboration each came up with a story. Despite working from the same basics each of these authors came up with a totally unique story. This idea really lets you see how imagination comes into play and highlights
LaFleurBleue
I liked the idea of 4 authors starting writing around a common plot, and was curious to see if and how each author's personnality would be conveyed in this constrained exercice.
Truly each novella was very different from the rest, despite the similarities resulting from the shared plot agreed beforehand.

The Fall of Rogue Gerrard by Stephanie Laurens : I really liked it. The characters were typical of SL's universe : a reformed rogue, that nobody knows has reformed, half in love with his young ne
JoAnn
I am torn between giving this 3 or 4 stars, but I am going to go with 4 just because of the idea of it. Mary Balogh came of with the idea of having four authors each write a story with the same basic plot. The plot the authors decided on is of a man and woman who have not met for ten years, meeting at an inn for one day/night.

It is so interesting to read the stories these four authors came up with. Each is a good story and more satisfying than usual for stories of this length.

My favorite was Ma
Meghan
I read everything by Laurens and I have a weakness for anything Regency Era, so I'm probably a bit biased in my review. I'd give 3 1/2 stars if it were an option.

"The Fall of Rogue Gerrard" is 'new' vintage Stephanie Laurens. Strong, witty characters, lighter on the sex...I've missed this. It reads more like her early regencies than more recent novels.

"Spellbound" by Mary Balogh reminded me of why I used to be at the bookstore the day her books were released and has me searching my Mt. TBR for
Christiana
I really loved how one skeleton of a story can take on 4 lives like this. Each in beautiful detail, so different yet emotive in their own way. I borrowed IHO Season from the library's and enjoyed that so much, I immediately sought out iHOnight, also from the library.
Enjoyed SL's story about Lydia and Ro. I read Tabitha's story first, so I was tickled pink to find out this novella involved Tab quite a bit. And of course mama and papa Makepeace who are equally cool in this story. I don't think I w
Becca
I am an odd one and I do not like Stephanie Lauren's writing style, therefore, I did not get past 3 pages into hers so I cannot in all fairness give it a rating.

As for Mary Balogh, I have not read much by her, but I plan to read A Summer to Remember soon. This novella had such a distasteful beginning that I thought that no matter how she ended it, I would not believe it. The hero was a pretty epic jerk-his line of "sleep on the floor or be my servant" did it for me.

Next was Jacquie D'Alessandro'
siriusedward
starting with stephanies story.... din't like ro much...her typical male character...know it all...alpha...who has to be a.rogue to be manly...at least he refrainer the last 6 years...still he just goes back to lydia and she accepts..what a spineless creature..wants an.adventure yet hesitates at each step ..dint know why ro liked her..wanted to shake her myself..her sister was much better.... and dint like the story much...

Now ...moving on to mary's spellbound...liked it...though the reason for
Shelley
Four authors, one plot: They each agreed to write a historical story about a couple meeting up for the first time in ten years, taking place in one night at a rural inn. Did we get more of the same or four unique stories? Verdict: Four unique stories.

Of varying quality. I really liked Mary Balogh and Candice Hern's stories. Hern's, especially, was interesting because the characters were in their 40s, had been in love as teens and were reconnecting. It gave it a different air from most romances a
Jodi
I took this out of the library particularly for the Candice Hern story and it was the weakest of the four, though it was also the most unique. The characters were in their 40s and she was a former member of the demimonde.

The premise of the book was that all 4 authors were given the concept - two people accidentally meet at an inn after 10 years. As expected, each author came up with an entirely different plot.

The Laurens and Balogh stories were cute - the Balogh more memorable as she described
Indiana
Didn't like it. Was looking forward to it because I like at least Mary Balogh and I liked the premise where all the authors were given the same plot to work with - a couple who hasn't seen each other in 10 years finds themselves together for a night at an inn. I thought this might help overcome the general problem I have with short story romances - i.e. I find the stories generally improbable because the hero and heroine generally are forced to get together too quickly in a short story. But it s ...more
Cathiecaffey
I really enjoyed that each story ended up being very unique, different than the others even with the plan that the authors had for this Anthology (ten years apart, meeting at an Inn, and each in a different season). Some spoke here of heroines or heroes you may not like, but I found them to be their own stories, and who they are. Everyone is unique and are different people are and their upbringing vary. So taken with that, I didn't get the usual typical heroine or hero. That's how the authors ma ...more
Francesca Morelli
Ho messo 4 stelline invece di 3 perchè non volevo penalizzare alcune storie.
In realtà su 4 storie mi è piaciuta veramente solo la prima, le altre bene o male mi sono sembrate accettabili solo per la loro lunghezza.
Meno male che erano dei racconti corti perchè un intero romanzo con questi spunti narrativi, avrebbero tediato i lettori.
Story #1 - I like how both characters come from equal social standings, but her headstrong nature clashes with the total meltdown she gets from meeting the hero. If you get past the drivel of the first two chapters, it gets much better

Story #2 - I can tell it's written by Mary Balogh because everything is just "the most wonderful" or "the most lovely" thing ever, especially when it's something mundane. Still not bad.

Story #3 - I don't like how in #2, the poor heroine marries the rich lord and be
Melissa
I love these short story novels. The second out of the four was my favorite.
It is definitely worth picking up, even if you are not a fan of any of the authors.... I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't be a fan.
Rinou
I liked the idea behind this anthology, four authors starting with the same beginning. Of course each author came up with something different, but I found the book homogeneous and pretty good.

The Fall of Rogue Gerrard by Stephanie Laurens : a real winner IMO. The story, really cute, is perfect in a novella size, and I liked the characters.

Spellbound by Mary Balogh : a typical Mary Balogh's story, with a little angst and a little hope in each page.

Only You by Jacquie D'Alessandro : a good little
Patricia Kate
This was an interesting premise and enjoyable overall. I did a feel a bit of overlap in the stories but not enough to dissuade me from trying their next effort.
Patricia
Started out strong, but each successive story became more predictable and boring.
  • My Scandalous Bride
  • The Mammoth Book of Regency Romance
  • The Heart of Christmas (Includes: Carhart #0.5, Tallants #3.5)
  • Yours 2 Keep
  • Snowy Night with a Stranger (School for Heiresses, Anthology 2)
  • Talk of the Ton
  • Jinxed!
  • The Wedding of the Century & Other Stories
  • A Stockingful of Joy
  • All About Seduction
  • Rough Around the Edges
  • The School for Heiresses (School for Heiresses, Anthology 1)
  • The Further Observations of Lady Whistledown (Lady Whistledown, #1)
  • Her Notorious Viscount (Stoneworth, #1)
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Stephanie and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Stephanie
More about Stephanie Laurens...
Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1) A Rake's Vow (Cynster, #2) A Secret Love (Cynster, #5) Scandal's Bride (Cynster, #3) A Rogue's Proposal (Cynster,  #4)