Start by marking “Priestess of the White (Age of the Five, #1)” as Want to Read:
Priestess of the White (Age of the Five, #1)

Priestess of the White (Age of the Five #1)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  12,668 Ratings  ·  396 Reviews
In a land on the brink of peace—watched jealously by a ruthless cult from across the sea and beset by hidden enemies—five extraordinary humans must serve as sword and shield of the Gods.

Auraya is one.

Her heroism saved a village from destruction; now Auraya has been named Priestess of the White. The limits of her unique talents must be tested in order to prove her worthy
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published October 26th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Priestess of the White, please sign up.

Hendrik As it is with everything, depends on your ten-year old^^ I read GoT at same age.

Jensownzoo
Dec 29, 2008 Jensownzoo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2008-reads
Okay, I give up. I couldn't even finish this one, which is very rare for me--and I had less than a hundred pages to go. I had put it down one night and have not been able to make myself pick it back up again.

I found it to be completely boring, despite the interesting concepts and potential conflicts. This book just drug. Not much action to move it along. Gets bogged down in what seem to be side-stories (they may come together at the end, I'll never know). I liked this authors previous series, so
Maria
Jun 19, 2011 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have actually given this book 3,5 stars but there's no such scale.
After reading The Black Magician trilogy I expected this one to be better... there was nothing wrong with the style of writing but I wanted something fresh, something new. And here? I'm getting a copy of Canavan's previous novel.
The motive of forbidden romance between Sonea and Akkarin is very similar to the one that Auraya and Leiard struggle with. Despite the fact that they are featureless (most of the characters in thi
Charlie
Every time I read this I enjoy it more than the last. It's truly one of the best fantasy series I've ever read.
Julia
Dec 17, 2008 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is a review for ALL of the books, ie. the whole series.

I started the book about 5 or 6 Months before I finished it, but never got past the first fifty pages. I had liked the Black Magician Trilogy, but I thought I didn't like the theme too much in this book.
Yet, in the end, I think I totally prefer this series to the other!

There were many positive points in the series. It was more complex and the plot and the world seemed very well deverloped. It had more mature themes, which are definite
Becky
Aug 16, 2012 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Priestess of the White is the first novel in Trudi Canavan’s Age of Five series.

Set in a fantastical world where Gods have chosen representatives to do their bidding in the world, this novel mixes magic and religion. The leaders of Hania are the White – five powerful sorcerers who are guided by their Gods. Auraya is the youngest of the White and the novel begins with her joining the Priesthood and her commitment to devote her life to the will of the Gods.

It is the Gods’ will that all of Northern
Angelica
At first I didn't like this book, but the intrigung sub-plots and many of the characters hooked me. I didn't like the main character as she was a little too Mary Sue-ish and the planned romantic entanglement seemed a little too contrived. I loved every other character and the world created and that more than made up for it.

This book has strong feminist themes, such as Emmerahl teaching girls to defend herself, or becoming a whore to survive, but with no shame. I didn't think this was overbearin
Claire
Aug 12, 2011 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this book though it jumped around a lot. I totally want Mischief lol he is so cute.
Joby Walker
Dec 31, 2011 Joby Walker rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Interesting and with the potential to be better

The Good
-------------------------------
Secondary/Tertiary Characters: Most of the secondary viewpoint characters have some personality that make the story worth reading and some of the tertiary characters are good too. Character development is lacking for most characters though. Looking forward to more from the Hag.

Hints: There are many hints at history and future of the world -- enough potential to make continuing the series worth while.

The Bad
----
Kitvaria Sarene
This one... I read it rather a short time after the Magicians Guild books - and so it took me a bit by surprise how different it was.
While the first series is published as YA (here in Germany), the second series definitely is not. There is a bit of a love plot and some sex scenes in it - and of course the main protagonists are older.
After I got used to the change - I did definitely enjoy the book, though it didn't completely blow me away. I liked the main character and definitely wanted to spend
Terran
Feb 26, 2009 Terran rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Was looking for a new author (having exhausted all the ones I know I like). Ran across this in the local library. I really couldn't get into it. The writing was a bit clunky and the plotline seemed fairly standard high fantasy by the time I gave up. The world building seemed potentially interesting, but I couldn't bring myself to care enough to keep reading. I gather from other comments that this author has more interesting works, so I may try another book another time.
Patricia Vocat
This book is well written, inventive and descriptive, but quite boring. The story has good foundations, but to me it dragged on endlessly without anything happening. And I just couldn’t connect to the flawless heroine who set out to become even more flawless. Although I liked some of the side characters, there were just so many storylines that seemed disjointed from and in conflict with the main plot.
Joanna
Sep 01, 2007 Joanna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is just not fun. I'm having to force myself to finish it. I can't even be sure if it's a good book, I'm so sick of reading it! The plot seems creative, but something about it draaaaaaaags.
Edit: Finally finished it, and still completely unimpressed. And after I enjoyed her other trilogy so much, too!
Madeleine (papertigermaddy)
Edit: dropped this rating down from 2.5 to a 1 because it's really not worth anyone's time.
Why the heck has this been rated so high? It's crap, especially compared to her excellent debut trilogy! The respect I had for Canavan's writing has largely evaporated. I hope this terrible book was simply a dud, and not that the Black Magician trilogy was a fluke.

Okay, gripe #1. Plants, animals and vehicles are given totally random names despite being albeit identical to things we have in this world. Why
Dark-Draco
Sep 10, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As the first book by this author I have read, I was pleased to enjoy it so much. It is pretty much standard fantasy fare, with 'good' and 'evil' represented by two religious creeds that end up going to war over their differences!

Auraya is the newest White - one of the five humans who represent the Gods interests in the world. As she begins to learn the skills she'll need to succeed as one of the Immortals, both magical, emotional and diplomatical, she has to face the fact that her people will be
Elisabeth Cook
I love the Black Magicians Trilogy, so it pains me to review another Trudi Canavan book with a DNF at 66%. I like the concept of Priestess, the fragile balance between magic and the power of the gods is quite an original feeling backdrop (to me). Unfortunately, there are too many disappointments elsewhere. After the hundreds of pages I've read, I still don't have much of a sense of the protagonist, Auraya's personality; I don't know what motivates her, what she finds funny, or what distinguishes ...more
Maria Elmvang
I was a bit disappointed by this book at first. I had LOVED The Black Magician trilogy, and was sad to see that this book couldn't quite live up to the first in that series. It was obviously aimed at a younger audience (at least the beginning was - it did get significantly darker near the end) and the characters didn't seem nearly as complex. Still, it was good enough to keep me entertained through all 672 pages and I would in no way "dis-recommend" it... I'd just tell people to read the other t ...more
Saskia
May 29, 2016 Saskia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread, 2016
Es ist schon eine ganze Weile her, dass ich es gelesen habe und damals hab ich es sehr geliebt. Ich kann mir vorstellen, dass es für "jüngere" Leser ein wenig überraschender ist als für mich, aber ich mag einfach Trudi Canavans Art Welten zu erschaffen.
Die Welt und das magische System sind eher schlicht & kein Meisterwerk, aber trotzdem überzeugen sie und man fühlt sich wohl. Ich liebe vor allem die Traumweber und finde den religiösen Konflikt sehr interessant.
Die unterschiedlichen Perspekt
Jana
May 20, 2015 Jana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a re-read for me, and I still really enjoyed it.
Filip
Docela mě mrzí, že po tak dlouhém odkládání mě Bílá kněžka zklamala. Bylo to až moc průměrné vzhledem k tomu, jak se mi kdysi líbila Trilogie o černém mágovi (i když si začínám myslet, že dneska by mě nezaujala ani Sonea). Když jsem už od Trudi Canavan přečetl (a teď si to musím zkontrolovat, abych nelhal) osmou knížku, najednou bych dokázal s jistotou její styl lehce určit.
Děj je zbytečně moc dlouhý, konverzace jsou vlažné, pohledy všech postav jsou vždy stejné.
Příběh, kdy je u moci církev, k
Patricia Ulrich
Fand ich gut, aber bisher nicht ganz so ansprechend wie die Soneareihe. Vielleicht habe ich auch gerade zu viele Bücher von Trudi Canavan hintereinander gelesen und verliere langsam die Lust an ihrer Standardformel (intelligenter, weiblicher Hauptcharakter, der im Laufe der Geschichte immer stärker wird). Ich lese aber auf jeden Fall noch den Rest der Triologie und bin gespannt, was da noch passiert.
Hannah
The Priestess in White is an interesting story, I picked it up mainly because I enjoyed Canavans previous Trilogy. It is an intriguing storyline with the potential of being very good, and involves a good cast of characters across different species.
The story is told from the perspective of Auraya a priestess who is chosen to become on of the White, a priestess who is blesses with extraordinary powers from the gods. But trouble is brewing from the south and the White must rely on all their knowle
Kelley Ceccato
Things I like in this book:

1) a heroine who is magically gifted, idealistic, and, while embroiled in a romance, NOT rendered catatonic by a broken heart;
2) plenty of interesting and important supporting female characters, some of whom actually befriend and help each other (something that her earlier and more lauded series, The Black Magician Trilogy, conspicuously lacked);
3) a sympathetically portrayed female authority figure (Speaker Sirri of the Siyee);
4) an intriguing religious conflict -- Ci
Sophie
Nov 21, 2012 Sophie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first started reading the book I decided that it wasn't for me with all the confusing names and changing points of view every other page. There was also the completely fantastical creatures and people that were pretty unbelievable. But something kept me reading. I don't know what but I was intrigued about what was going to happen.
It was only once I got about three quarters of the way through that I was enjoying the book and could really relate to the main character(s) of Auraya and Tryss
Aimee
Apr 12, 2012 Aimee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Judging from what I'd heard I wasn't sure I'd enjoy Priestess of the White, but oddly enough I ended up hooked. Initially the POV shifts were jarring but once I got into the flow I found it exciting; each of the recurring characters' stories were compelling enough to carry a book on their own, it was like reading four or five interwoven books in one. I ended up attached to them all, Emerahl the reclusive sorceress and the winged Siyee Tryss in particular.

Canavan's created her own fictional setti
Tierney
Sep 14, 2010 Tierney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Caution, some slight spoilers, but nothing too serious :P

I wish i could give this book four and half stars, becaus it really was amazng, but because it took so long for me to get into it i think thats why i can only give it four stars rather than five. I loved it, but the beginning is awful! No wonder the majority of people on here give up after the first few chapters, but it gets better i promise! I loved Tryss' character the most, and still dont really understand where Emerahl comes into all o
Emma
I first read the Priestess of the White when I was nine, and despite the fact that it was a hardcore fantasy book, it held my attention, prone to straying as it was. For it to be able to do that then means that I can't stop reading it now. I love the way everyone has so much common sense, something that I don't really have but think is nice.

Auraya is so funny and strong, Leiard/Mirar so amusing in their mental arguments. Tryss is a babe, but it was always Mischief I loved the most. How amazing w
Kari
Trudi Canavan has taken the ideas she developed in her first trilogy and weaved them into a story set on a much greater scale. Ideas such as magic, telepathy, mind linking, power struggles and the figure of the strong female who can bring about great change will be recognisable to readers of The Black Magician Trilogy and have been re-worked into this new trilogy. This doesn't take anything away from the story though, despite it's degree of familiarity. The ideas and characters were interesting ...more
Tracy Paterson
This is the first book of the Age of the Five Trilogy. Having already read and enjoyed the Black Magician trilogy I had high hopes for this book.

Overall I was slightly disappointed. There are a few reasons for this. I didn't expect to have to remember so many different names, lands, peoples etc. I didn't expect the world of the Age of the Five to be totally different to the Black Magician world. I felt that the jump from Auraya's first meeting with one of the White to her becoming a Priestess o
Síofra
My thoughts on this book are mixed.

The good first: This book had many good points. The characters were engaging, particularly the protagonist, Auraya, and Leiard. The author took (in my opinion) a new tack on the genre of high fantasy, blending human affairs with the imaginary. Lastly, it was very, very readable and had that "un-put-downable" quality that I have found lacking in other books of its kind.

And the not so good: There were a number of clichés played out in this book that I found irri
Stuart
Feb 01, 2013 Stuart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't normally read fantasy, but I picked this book up on Christmas eve as I was about to spend several hours in transit, and I actually really enjoyed it. I liked the characters, I was invested in the plot and I devoured it within a couple of days. It's well written and easy to keep up with.

My only personal let down is that I feel there should have been more of a revelation at the end. There are definite hints throughout the book that there's a revelation to be made, however nothing came and
All About Fantasy!: Priestess of the White 5 10 Mar 11, 2015 06:36AM
  • Warrior (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade, #2)
  • Betrayal (Trinity, #1)
  • Witches Incorporated (Rogue Agent, #2)
  • The Prodigal Mage (Fisherman's Children, #1)
  • Wit'ch Storm (The Banned and the Banished, #2)
  • A Shadow on the Glass (The View from the Mirror, #1)
  • Heart of the Mirage (Mirage Makers, #1)
  • The Battle of Evernight (The Bitterbynde, #3)
  • The Forbidden Land (The Witches of Eileanan, #4)
  • The Sword (The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice, #1)
Trudi Canavan was born in Kew, Melbourne and grew up in Ferntree Gully, a suburb at the foothills of the Dandenongs.

In 1999 she won the Aurealis Award for Best Fantasy Short Story with “Whispers of the Mist Children”. In the same year she was granted a writers residency at Varuna Writers’ Centre in Katoomba, New South Wales.

In November 2001, The Magicians’ Guild was first published in Australia. T
More about Trudi Canavan...

Age of the Five (3 books)
  • Last of the Wilds (Age of the Five, #2)
  • Voice of the Gods (Age of the Five, #3)

“Happy endings are a luxury of fiction.” 510 likes