Start by marking “The Human Story” as Want to Read:
The Human Story

The Human Story

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  216 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Has there ever been a history of the world as readable as this?

In The Human Story, James C. Davis takes us on a journey to ancient times, telling how peoples of the world settled down and founded cities, conquered neighbors, and established religions, and continues over the course of history, when they fought two nearly global wars and journeyed into space.

Davis's account
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Human Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Human Story

Magdalena
Apr 27, 2012 Magdalena rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want to have a basic understanding of world history
Shelves: history
What a nice read. It covers world history from the Homo Erectus to the Hubble Space Telescope. Of course, it's a fast paced approach, often skipping details in order to compress everything into 440 pages. If anyone has trouble remembering the important events, this book is great at explaining in simple terms how the major events took place and why, with bits of humor and curious anecdotes here and there. Overall, a very easy and informative read. It follows a logical sequence, and is comfortably ...more
Shad
This would be a great book for a teen, or someone without any knowledge of human history. It lacks detailed historical information and has no real depth...which is someways is understandable, he is after all , covering a very large subject. I just wish he would have taken time to delve a little deeper in at least a few areas...stil, that being said, it is not a bad book, just thin.
Aaron
A great little history book that spans the Stone Age until today. Books like this are my bag, but this one moves quickly and was entertaining as well as informative. Highly recommended.
Michael Patton
"Has there ever been a history of the world as readable as this?" asks the promo advert. Well, I haven't found one. I usually don't like to backtrack, when I'm walking on new ground, but I may have to go back and read this book again.
Fvandrog
A single book with the full history of humanity is an ambitious undertaking in any event. Davis does not do a bad job, but definitely manages to glance over many important events, persons and even cultures.

The book is extremely easy to read as is claimed, but sometimes the writing style which seems to be geared towards readers that don't have education beyond the primary school starts to rub a bit. The quality definitely suffers by the endeavor to keep the writing style simple.

This book is def
Michael Klein
Thus far, the book is a broad overview of our cultures as they developed and intersected; naturally, this includes the usual civilizations of the Fertile Crescent and Mesopotamia. All in all, nothing particularly new or innovative.

It falls flat against "Guns, Germs, and Steel," which is the modern archetypal form of this subject. At the very least, read this BEFORE Jared Diamond's book. The third star comes from the slightly superior timescale. Unlike Diamond, Davis actually takes us INTO moder
Eddie
Well...it is what it says it is. A short, concise history. I think Davis does a good job with this though. It flows well, hits major points, and tells the tell. Don't expect to learn much from this if you have already had world history classes. This book is a good tool for review, and as a teacher of world history it gave me the broad picture in a way that made me think about what content I should include in my courses. Not a classic, but not a total dud that some have thought it was.
Nay Lin Soe
If one is looking for a general introduction of the journey of human civilisation, this is one of the books I would recommend. Definitely not a book for scholars. Easy to follow and doesn't drive a general reader with dates or records. A more earnest reader (still non-scholar) might wish to see a bit more details at parts.
Andrea
Good as a very general overview of history. It is readable and not intimidating. I would have liked to be able to give it three stars but there was enough bias, generalization, and arguable inaccuracies for me to be comfortable giving it more than two stars.
Alyssa
This book was very educational and it gave me a good general overview of history. It's under 500 pages and is easy to read. I would definately reccomend this to anyone who feels like their knowledge of world history is deficient.
Alon Gutman
All the human history, from the end of the last ice age, the beginning of agriculture, to the global economy of today.

It is very engaging and easy to read, and gives a very good overview of the entire history of mankind.
Ashley
This book began like a history book, but towards the end it became more like a story with no definite plot. It was tole with sarcasm and bias that most history books avoid.
Jamie
You simply cannot compile everything humans have accomplished in the past 5,000 years. What you get when you do is a dry, stuffy, read, lacking important details.
Cara
A great overview of human history. Not too many names or dates. It gave me a really good idea of which events happened in relation to others. Easy to read and engaging.
Juna
Although this is an excellent summary of human history, I think that Davis should have speculated on human evolution a little longer.
Jimmy
This is an excellent read for someone interested in an overview of the history of humanity. It is easy to pick up and enjoyable to read.
Jessica Ruskin
Nice little overview of world history.
Martha
Oct 21, 2008 Martha is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I like the writing style of this history with many biographical personalities in depth
Gylan
An interesting distillation of history, and a good refresher.
Chris Kemp
Very good, readable review of the history of the world.
Eric
This book makes the cardinal sin of any history book--missing the forest for the trees (individual people and states) or, at least, the groves (individual regions and time periods). To put it another way, the author connects individual sets of dots, without connecting the sets into a coherent whole. It's a shame, since the author's writing style is clear and concise.
Beynteri
Beynteri is currently reading it
Nov 22, 2014
Banu Bektas
Banu Bektas marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Yohai Cohen
Yohai Cohen marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Mustafa
Mustafa is currently reading it
Nov 12, 2014
Özge Bayizit
Özge Bayizit marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
  • The Romantic Revolution
  • Classical Mythology: A Very Short Introduction
  • Western Civilization: Ideas, Politics, and Society
  • Pleasure Bound: Victorian Sex Rebels and the New Eroticism
  • Elizabeth: Virgin Queen?
  • Hitler and Nazi Germany: A History
  • Origins Reconsidered: In Search of What Makes Us Human
  • Cleopatra the Great: The Woman Behind the Legend
  • Born in Africa: The Quest for the Origins of Human Life
  • Readings in Ancient Greek Philosophy: From Thales to Aristotle
  • The Uses and Abuses of History
  • In Bluebeard's Castle: Some Notes Towards the Redefinition of Culture
  • Socrates: A Man for Our Times
A Venetian Family And Its Fortune, 1500 1900: The Dona And The Conservation Of Their Wealth Rise From Want: A Peasant Family In The Machine Age Commerce in Color: Race, Consumer Culture, and American Literature, 1893-1933 Pursuit of Power: Venetian Ambassador's Reports on Spain, Turkey, and France in the Age of Philip II, 1560-1600 So Far, So Good: An Historian's Memoirs