Start by marking “Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators Series” as Want to Read:
Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators Series

Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators Series

4.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  432 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Three young boys -- Jupiter "Jupe" Jones, Peter "Pete" Crenshaw, and Robert "Bob" Andrews -- solve baffling mysteries. The series ran from 1964 to 1987 and comprised 43 books.
Published December 28th 1964 by Random House Childrens Books (first published September 1964)

Be the first to ask a question about Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators Series

Kirstine
Sep 29, 2012 Kirstine rated it really liked it
These books were so formative I cannot begin to describe it.
They're the reason I'm such a sucker for crime and mystery - although this taste has mostly, later on, translated into the movies and shows I watch. Still, I have a deep rooted love for this genre, and this series is a large part of the reason.

There was just something magical and compelling about random kids solving weird, sinister crimes and having a great deal of fun doing it. To my quiet, ignored, melancholy self it was a safe-have
Zuz
Jul 22, 2013 Zuz rated it it was amazing
My brother gave me The Secret of Terror Castle as a gift. That evening I started to read. And I havent stopped till now. This Serie woke up my inner man. :) ...more
Mark Heishman
Jan 05, 2013 Mark Heishman rated it it was amazing
This series of books was my all-time favorite reading up into about the seventh grade. The title includes Alfred Hitchcock but he really isn't a part of the stories and the books are nothing like the Alfred Hitchcock movies that were on TV. What was fun was imagining a hideout like the three investigators had where they repeatedly took on cases in similar fashion that people would come to them to have a mystery solved. The boys, three of them, had well defined characteristics that were used to m ...more
Ria
Jun 18, 2009 Ria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really good set of stories.
Especially the stuttering parrot.
A clever storyline that kept you going until the end.
Brooke
Oct 28, 2012 Brooke rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic series. I have read all but one of the 43 books, which is why I didn't take the time to list every single one individually. The basic premise is three boys have their own detective firm they run out of a trailer hidden in a junkyard. They solve crimes of any sort, big or small. They've run into everything from haunted houses to screaming clocks to live Kachinas. The books are well-written, funny, and sometimes contain unexpected twists. One reason I liked them so much was bec ...more
Yves
Dec 08, 2014 Yves rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure which of those I read when I was about 9, but I tremendously enjoyed them.
Kavya
Sep 22, 2014 Kavya rated it it was amazing
The three investigators series has 43 books, all of which have their own charm. All the authors who contributed to this series have stood up to the mark. The books never disappoint you. Every book is a treat to the readers. While I read these books, I was so involved in them I would have no idea of what happened around me. There were times when I stayed up the whole night just so I could complete the book.
The idea of the author to create characters who searched for mystery and thrill, instead o
Wesley
Apr 04, 2015 Wesley rated it really liked it
This series started me on reading. I had near failing grades in reading and writing through the middle of fourth grade. My teacher insisted that I read one of these books that she had checked out of the school Library for me. That was it, I was hooked.

The Three Investigators is a fun and imaginative set of books. Their is enough reality built into the storyline such that it allows the young reader to identify with the main characters. The plots always moved right along and the mysteries to be s
Shari
Aug 01, 2012 Shari rated it it was amazing
(This review is for the whole series.) This was my favorite series as a kid. I read all 40-something books at least two or three times and did several school book reports on them.
Mahita
Dec 14, 2012 Mahita rated it really liked it
As a kid, I have absolutely enjoyed this entire series. I loved every mystery and I just cannot put it down whenever I open one, even now!
Loretta Ross
Sep 21, 2014 Loretta Ross rated it really liked it
These were some of my favorite books as I was growing up. The earliest books by Robert Arthur are the best. The later ones vary in quality. Subsequent versions of the series, one where they rewrote the books with a fictional character taking the place of Alfred Hitchcock and one where they presented the boys as teenagers, were both sad shadows of the original books that could be described, at best, as mundane. But the earlier books had a unique charm, memorable characters, and a rich atmosphere.
MariaFernanda PF
Jul 30, 2015 MariaFernanda PF rated it it was amazing
I read all these books when I was in school. They are one of the many reasons I am such a bookworm! I've been looking for them for years! I found them on Amazon and now my next orders are going to be pretty awesome! Can't wait to read them again.... 20 years later!
Cd
Jan 25, 2016 Cd rated it it was amazing
Excellent mystery series; the kind in which the kids actually use their heads to solve the crimes. The earlier books, written by Robert Arthur, are the best.
Chuck Malmros
Mar 15, 2014 Chuck Malmros rated it it was amazing
These books are what started me wanting to read, not just for school but for fun!!! I wish they we're still in print for my kids to read now!!!
Rick
Feb 24, 2015 Rick rated it it was amazing
Read these during my early teenage years. All I can remember is I liked them! Kinda like the hardy boys but better in my opinion.
Derek Ailes
Jun 22, 2014 Derek Ailes rated it it was amazing
As a child I read this series completely every novel. This is a young adult mystery series.
MAHMOOD
Sep 16, 2015 MAHMOOD rated it it was amazing
i haven't read the book yet i want to read it but you are not letting me read this book
Sajjad Haider
Dec 19, 2014 Sajjad Haider rated it it was amazing
Grew up mesmerized with this mystery series
Theresa
May 05, 2014 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Loved reading these books when I was a kid!
Maria Kotsur
Aug 28, 2014 Maria Kotsur rated it liked it
Shelves: usa
Nice detective for yourth.
Bill Ds
Jun 15, 2016 Bill Ds rated it really liked it
This my first books. I read about 20 books from the series back in elementary school. They were my first introduction to my favorite genre...
Cyndy Parr
Jan 13, 2013 Cyndy Parr rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Upon finding out there were 43 titles: maybe there are a few I haven't yet read. Squee!
Elentarri
Nov 29, 2013 Elentarri rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Brilliant children's books. Better than the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew.
Maura
My favourite children books!
Rosemary
Jun 21, 2013 Rosemary rated it it was amazing
Favorite series as a kid!
Penny
Penny added it
Jun 20, 2016
Sami Choudhury
Sami Choudhury rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Mubanga Kabwela
Mubanga Kabwela rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
Tyler
Tyler added it
Jun 14, 2016
Ferdinand Glad Bach
Ferdinand Glad Bach rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
  • The Secret of Phantom Lake (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #19)
  • The Mystery of the Coughing Dragon (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #14)
  • The Secret of the Haunted Mirror (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #21)
  • The Mystery of the Two-Toed Pigeon (The Three Investigators, #37)
Robert Jay Arthur, Jr. was a mystery writer known for The Mysterious Traveler radio series and his Three Investigators series of novels. He is frequently confused with the film producer Robert Arthur, who was nine days older than mystery writer Robert Arthur, Jr.

Robert Arthur, Jr. wrote a number of mystery books, mostly for children, and he also worked on the anthology television series Alfred Hit
More about Robert Arthur...