The Mystery of the Moaning Cave (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #10)

The Mystery of the Moaning Cave (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #10)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,529 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Many years ago, the young bandit El Diablo disappeared into a cave, never to be seen again. Now an eerie moaning sound is coming from his old hideout, and the ranchers who live nearby think he may still be alive.

The Three Investigators set out to explore the moaning cave—and soon wish they had come armed with more than a flashlight!
Published September 12th 1985 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1968)

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley JacksonDracula by Bram StokerA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëThe Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
Graveyards, Cemeteries and other haunted places
205th out of 221 books — 84 voters
The Awakening by L.J. SmithNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Struggle by L.J. SmithThe Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han
Three's a Crowd
120th out of 128 books — 65 voters

More lists with this book...

Raja99
Why I Reread This Book: I was lucky enough to find a hardcover edition a few weeks back and decided to reread it as a comfort when I and my wife were sick.

The Three Investigators was easily my favorite detective series as a kid, and two or three of the books had a huge impact on me. I don't think I read The Mystery of the Moaning Cave until I started collecting the books a few years back.

The series was created, and set up, by Robert Arthur. I'd thought he wrote the first ten in the series, but t...more
Sarah Sammis
Fans of The Lost Boys will recognize the city of Santa Carla in this 1968 young adult thriller by William Arden. For readers who know California, Santa Carla is roughly Santa Cruz with a little bit of Santa Clara thrown in.

In The Mystery of the Moaning Cave, the three investigators decide to solve the mystery behind a recently moaning cave rumored to be the resting place of El Diablo, a Zorro-like figure. The cave sits on the property of the Crooked-Y Ranch.

The three investigators use a number...more
Robert Stewart
This is the very first 3I book I ever read. After 37 years, it's still a firm favourite. The boys go to the Crooked Y ranch, where the cave in Devil's Mountain has started to moan again after 50 years. They come upon a diamond mine, eccentric old prospectors and a 19th century Mexican bandit. This was the first of several books for the series penned by William Arden, but he emulated the original author's style so well that few readers noticed the difference. A very good story.
Phoenixfly
gw suka pada kisah Misteri Gua Raungan ini. Kisahnya cukup mendebarkan dan alur ceritanya enak untuk dibaca.
Mark
An old cave, rumoured to be the resting place of a famed bandit called El Diablo, has suddenly begun to moan and no-one knows why. There by accident - Pete’s dad knows the ranch owners - the boys decide to investigate and came up against legends of the Old One, a scar-faced mystery man, two old prospectors and a gripping mystery. The first non-Arthur book (he gets the credit, William Arden wrote it), this is well-written, clever and full of atmosphere - well worth a read.

2013 re-read - My 2009 r...more
Nicole
Reviewing this series for my older boy, since it was one of my favorites when I was his age. It's striking how much freedom these boys took for granted at 12-13 (I've never been able to decide how old they really are; all I know for sure is that in none of them are they old enough to drive or care that much about girls).
David
The first book of the series not written by Robert Arthur, it's a decent mystery and story with some downsides.

The boys are suddenly scuba diving and horse riding experts? This really bothered me, especially the scuba diving part. In the books by Robert Arthur the boys were much more believable as average adolescents who were great at solving mysteries. The whole thing with the navy was another unnecessary, unbelievable part of the story.

The mystery itself was pretty decent and while parts of i...more
Gardavson
I don't know why these books never "made it" bigger than they did. I sure enjoyed them as a child. The mysteries seemed...reachable somehow to me. Like they were something that if I had been part of the team, I could have contributed to solving them. And yet they weren't boringly predictable (at least at my then younger age). I'm considering collecting these now as an adult in hopes that my kids may become interested in them. -And I guess because I'm sentimentally geeky that way about the books...more
Lance
I think this one might have been the first of this series that I read. It was soon after my "Western" phase, and the Mexican outlaw had enough western flavor to interest me at the time. After that I was hooked on the Three Investigators and quickly devoured all of the series that the local library had. I read mysteries for a while after that.
Scott
This is the first of the series with a different author and you can tell. Just not as good as the previous books, not as exciting, plot not as well developed, characters just a little bit flat.
I enjoyed it but wouldn't recommend it unless you either have excess time or already own the book.
Janice
I loved these as a kid and still own them.loved the era and a lot of connections to movies.
I have original hardback editions, 1-22, missing book 3 I think. I'd love to find a hardcover of this.
Ryan Mishap
It turns out it was haunted by bootlegging vicars from San Luis Obispo. No, really.
Jacob
I think this is still my favorite of all the 3 investigator series
Jahnavi
A really nice book with a suspenseful wonderific story.
Kay
Dec 29, 2010 Kay added it
The Three Investigators is my FAVORITE series
Paul
Not bad, but not as good as I remembered.
Andreas Aris
The story is a bit boring. Well, like it...

Vicky
a big mystory
Vimal
thrilling movie
Dan Robinson
Dan Robinson marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
  • The Mystery of the Coughing Dragon (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #14)
  • The Mystery of the Vanishing Treasure (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Flaming Footprints (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #15)
  • The Mystery of the Kidnapped Whale (The Three Investigators, #35)
Real name: Dennis Lynds.
Beginning in 1968 with The Mystery of the Moaning Cave and ending in 1989 with Hot Wheels, Dennis Lynds wrote fourteen novels under the pen name William Arden for the juvenile detective series The Three Investigators, which was originated by Robert Arthur, Jr.. Under this same name, he also wrote five novels featuring private eye Kane Jackson, a former military policeman wh...more
More about William Arden...
The Mystery of the Headless Horse (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #26) The Mystery of the Shrinking House (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #18) The Mystery of the Dead Man's Riddle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #22) The Mystery of the Laughing Shadow (Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators, #12) The Secret of the Crooked Cat (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #13)