Start by marking “The Mystery of the Moaning Cave (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #10)” as Want to Read:

The Mystery of the Moaning Cave (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #10)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,995 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Many years ago, the young bandit El Diablo disappeared into a cave, never to be seen again. Now an eerie moaning sound is coming from his old hideout, and the ranchers who live nearby think he may still be alive.

The Three Investigators set out to explore the moaning caveand soon wish they had come armed with more than a flashlight!
Published September 12th 1985 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Moaning Cave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Moaning Cave

The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot by Robert ArthurThe Mystery of the Green Ghost by Robert ArthurThe Secret of Terror Castle by Robert ArthurThe Mystery of the Whispering Mummy by Robert ArthurThe Mystery of the Vanishing Treasure by Robert Arthur
THE THREE INVESTIGATORS
7th out of 43 books — 14 voters
Emily of New Moon by L.M. MontgomeryGone-Away Lake by Elizabeth EnrightThe Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan AikenBallet Shoes by Noel StreatfeildThe Borrowers by Mary Norton
Forgotten Kids Books of Quality
146th out of 525 books — 196 voters

More lists with this book...

Nandakishore Varma
My first ever "Three Investigators" mystery - and I fell in love with the team. (Ironically, I had originally thought that Hitchcock wrote these mysteries, which is why I bought them! I was disabused only very late, several novels into the series.) Pete Crenshaw, the active sportsman and the muscles of the team: the quiet and studious Bob Andrews, the knowledge bank of the team: and Jupiter Jones, the fat leader who contrived to look stupid, the brain of the team. I especially loved Jupiter, lik ...more
Quentin Wallace
Oct 19, 2015 Quentin Wallace rated it really liked it
I love this series! Another great mystery starring the teenage sleuths. In this one, we find the boys at a ranch trying to find out what's been scaring all the ranch hands away. I was shocked we didn't see another boy their own age around, as that has been a staple of the series, but this time it was mostly just the main three.

I will say the ending was slightly predictable, as I had figured out who the real bad guy was fairly early. That being said, there were still several twists and turns in t
Lea
Ich kann ja mit vielen der klassischen amerikanischen ??? Bücher weniger anfangen (meine eigenen "Klassiker" würde ich eher in der frühen Marx Zeit anordnen), obwohl ich den Charme sehr gut verstehe. Aber diese Anmerkungen des Erzählers, die einem immer erklären oder Fragen stellen, finde ich zum Beispiel einfach nur nervig.

Leider war das das einzige ???-Buch, das ich mit in den Urlaub genommen habe, dabei wäre es so eine gute Chance gewesen, meinem Freund einen meiner Lieblingsfälle unter die
Marina Zala
** Books 166 - 2016 **

3,1 dari 5 bintang!

Dulu suka sekali dengan kisah lima sekawannya enid Blyton dan Alfred Hitchock lalu ketemu buku ini jadi kangen buat ngobatin rindu kepada lima sekawan. Ceritanya biasa saja mengenai kasus gua yang meraung di tengah malam dan diselidiki oleh ketiga detektif muda (Jupiter, Pete dan Bob). Pembunuhnya juga bisa tertebak dengan mudah >__<

Favorit saya pastinya Jupiter dong gilaaa analisa dan deduksinya.. Pinter dan jeli banget!

Terimakasih iJak untuk pemi
Raja99
Nov 27, 2008 Raja99 rated it liked it
Why I Reread This Book: I was lucky enough to find a hardcover edition a few weeks back and decided to reread it as a comfort when I and my wife were sick.

The Three Investigators was easily my favorite detective series as a kid, and two or three of the books had a huge impact on me. I don't think I read The Mystery of the Moaning Cave until I started collecting the books a few years back.

The series was created, and set up, by Robert Arthur. I'd thought he wrote the first ten in the series, but t
ula
Jun 26, 2016 ula rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels, app
Ijak #4

Kurasa inilah pertama kalinya aku membaca cerita Trio Detektif, karena aku tidak ingat pernah membacanya waktu kecil. Ternyata petualangan mereka lumayan seru dan menegangkan juga.

Jelas sekali pemimpinnya adalah Jupiter, dia yang paling pintar sehingga dia sangat mendominasi dibanding dua orang temannya yang harus unjuk gigi dengan porsi lebih sedikit. Suka dengan mereka, tapi Jupiter agak songong ini bocah.

Dan yeeeiiii pelaku tebakanku benar.
Robert Stewart
May 04, 2014 Robert Stewart rated it it was amazing
This is the very first 3I book I ever read. After 37 years, it's still a firm favourite. The boys go to the Crooked Y ranch, where the cave in Devil's Mountain has started to moan again after 50 years. They come upon a diamond mine, eccentric old prospectors and a 19th century Mexican bandit. This was the first of several books for the series penned by William Arden, but he emulated the original author's style so well that few readers noticed the difference. A very good story.
MaggyGray
Der Teufelsberg ist eine Folge, die ich nie so richtig "leiden" konnte, obwohl sie spannend, gut durchdacht und mit einem tollen Schluss versehen ist. Aber genauso wie "die Geisterinsel" oder "der lachende Schatten" habe ich mit dieser Folge nie so richtig die Drei Fragezeichen verbunden; keine Ahnung wieso.
Als ich jetzt, als 33jährige, das Buch noch einmal gelesen habe (hören tue ich sie trotz allem immer mal wieder), muss ich meine Meinung ändern. Zwar ist sie immer noch keine meiner Lieblings
Laura Verret
Nov 17, 2014 Laura Verret rated it really liked it
Jupiter Jones, Pete Crenshaw, and Bob Andrews are staying with their friends, the Daltons, on their ranch the Crooked-Y when they become aware that an eerie moaning sound appears to be emanating from a cave on the property. The Daltons’ ranch hands are quitting – they believe that the moans are being made by a famous Spanish bandito who once roamed the California hills and disappeared in the many caves therein.

The Three Investigators don’t believe that the sounds are being caused by a ghost. But
Phoenixfly
May 18, 2008 Phoenixfly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
gw suka pada kisah Misteri Gua Raungan ini. Kisahnya cukup mendebarkan dan alur ceritanya enak untuk dibaca.
Ira Book Lover
Mar 19, 2016 Ira Book Lover rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dulu, waktu baca Trio Detektif pas SMP, saya kira penulis bukunya Alfred Hitchcok. Sekarang saya sudah tahu kalau nama penulisnya ternyata Robert Arthur. Jadi sempat lola ketika membaca nama penulis di buku ini adalah William Arden. Nah siapa pula beliau ini? Setelah dilihat-lihat lagi, saya baru lihat tulisan "Based on Characters by Robert Arthur". Oh jadi gitu. *ngangguk-ngangguk*.

Terus di bagian terakhir, biasanya kan Trio Detektif melaporkan hasil penyelidikan mereka ke Alfred Hitchcok, nah
Sarah Sammis
Nov 24, 2007 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
Fans of The Lost Boys will recognize the city of Santa Carla in this 1968 young adult thriller by William Arden. For readers who know California, Santa Carla is roughly Santa Cruz with a little bit of Santa Clara thrown in.

In The Mystery of the Moaning Cave, the three investigators decide to solve the mystery behind a recently moaning cave rumored to be the resting place of El Diablo, a Zorro-like figure. The cave sits on the property of the Crooked-Y Ranch.

The three investigators use a number
Mark
Jul 28, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An old cave, rumoured to be the resting place of a famed bandit called El Diablo, has suddenly begun to moan and no-one knows why. There by accident - Pete’s dad knows the ranch owners - the boys decide to investigate and came up against legends of the Old One, a scar-faced mystery man, two old prospectors and a gripping mystery. The first non-Arthur book (he gets the credit, William Arden wrote it), this is well-written, clever and full of atmosphere - well worth a read.

2013 re-read - My 2009 r
Nicole
Feb 26, 2014 Nicole rated it really liked it
Reviewing this series for my older boy, since it was one of my favorites when I was his age. It's striking how much freedom these boys took for granted at 12-13 (I've never been able to decide how old they really are; all I know for sure is that in none of them are they old enough to drive or care that much about girls).
Daniel
An oldie-but-goodie I found on my in-laws' shelf. I read this series as a boy (and I'd just finished my other book), so I picked it up again for a quick read. It was as good as I remembered it.
Mohammad Mahdi
Aug 07, 2014 Mohammad Mahdi rated it really liked it
اینو از راز مومیایی نجوا گیر بیشتر دوست داشتم
محیط داستانش بیشتر چون تو روستا و مزرعه و غار بود

در کل جلدای دیگه کتابو خیلی دنبالشم ........ ولی نیست اینارم از نمایشگاه خریده بودم
David
Dec 17, 2012 David rated it liked it
The first book of the series not written by Robert Arthur, it's a decent mystery and story with some downsides.

The boys are suddenly scuba diving and horse riding experts? This really bothered me, especially the scuba diving part. In the books by Robert Arthur the boys were much more believable as average adolescents who were great at solving mysteries. The whole thing with the navy was another unnecessary, unbelievable part of the story.

The mystery itself was pretty decent and while parts of i
Primadonna
Jul 10, 2015 Primadonna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Reread, after all these years. The plot is predictable, but it is still a fun read.
David Joshua
Jul 27, 2014 David Joshua rated it it was amazing
First book I've read on The Three Investigators. I enjoyed every part of it!
Pujiyanto stiffy
Dec 21, 2014 Pujiyanto stiffy rated it liked it
cukup menarik, terutama kesimpulan si Jupe..
Frederick Tan
Dec 18, 2015 Frederick Tan rated it really liked it
Good read.
Indah Threez Lestari
425 - 2015
Gardavson
Feb 25, 2009 Gardavson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, 5-star
I don't know why these books never "made it" bigger than they did. I sure enjoyed them as a child. The mysteries seemed...reachable somehow to me. Like they were something that if I had been part of the team, I could have contributed to solving them. And yet they weren't boringly predictable (at least at my then younger age). I'm considering collecting these now as an adult in hopes that my kids may become interested in them. -And I guess because I'm sentimentally geeky that way about the books ...more
Lance
Aug 13, 2008 Lance rated it really liked it
I think this one might have been the first of this series that I read. It was soon after my "Western" phase, and the Mexican outlaw had enough western flavor to interest me at the time. After that I was hooked on the Three Investigators and quickly devoured all of the series that the local library had. I read mysteries for a while after that.
Scott
Feb 16, 2013 Scott rated it liked it
Shelves: children, mystery
This is the first of the series with a different author and you can tell. Just not as good as the previous books, not as exciting, plot not as well developed, characters just a little bit flat.
I enjoyed it but wouldn't recommend it unless you either have excess time or already own the book.
Markku Kesti
Onhan näistä hieman parasta ennen päiväys jo mennyt ohi, mutta kyllä sen verran on tatsia jäljellä, että muistaa miksi tämä sarja oli lapsuuteni suuria suosikkeja. En taida vinkata, mutta jos joku meinaa poistaa näitä _minun_ kirjastostani, niin varautukoon kokemaan jumalten vihan jne.
Janice
Feb 11, 2009 Janice rated it it was amazing
I loved these as a kid and still own them.loved the era and a lot of connections to movies.
I have original hardback editions, 1-22, missing book 3 I think. I'd love to find a hardcover of this.
Serena
Apr 01, 2016 Serena rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
My Rating System:
Ryan Mishap
Dec 24, 2008 Ryan Mishap rated it really liked it
Shelves: when-i-was-a-lad
It turns out it was haunted by bootlegging vicars from San Luis Obispo. No, really.
  • The Mystery of the Vanishing Treasure (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Coughing Dragon (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #14)
  • The Mystery of the Flaming Footprints (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #15)
  • The Mystery of the Kidnapped Whale (The Three Investigators, #35)
Real name: Dennis Lynds.
Beginning in 1968 with The Mystery of the Moaning Cave and ending in 1989 with Hot Wheels, Dennis Lynds wrote fourteen novels under the pen name William Arden for the juvenile detective series The Three Investigators, which was originated by Robert Arthur, Jr.. Under this same name, he also wrote five novels featuring private eye Kane Jackson, a former military policeman wh
More about William Arden...

Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • The Secret of Terror Castle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #3)
  • The Mystery of the Green Ghost (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #4)
  • The Secret of Skeleton Island (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #6)
  • The Mystery of the Fiery Eye (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #7)
  • The Mystery of the Silver Spider (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #8)
  • The Mystery of the Screaming Clock (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #9)
  • The Mystery of the Talking Skull (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #11)