Start by marking “Executive Privilege (Dana Cutler, #1)” as Want to Read:
Executive Privilege (Dana Cutler, #1)

Executive Privilege (Dana Cutler #1)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,837 Ratings  ·  512 Reviews
When private detective Dana Cutler is hired to follow college student Charlotte Walsh, she never imagines the trail will lead to the White House. But the morning after Walsh's clandestine meeting with Christopher Farrington, President of the United States, the pretty young coed is dead—the latest victim, apparently, of a fiend dubbed "the D.C. Ripper."

A junior associate in
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published April 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Executive Privilege, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Executive Privilege

Marvin
May 13, 2013 Marvin rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Executive Privilege is what some would call an airport novel or, a little less kind, a potboiler. Before you take that as a criticism, let me comment that there is a important need for potboilers. Man can not live on Pynchon alone. Sometime we need to escape into a world where good and bad is tightly defined, the sex is sleazy, and everything is wrapped up in a neat if ridiculously implausible package.

Phillip Margolin writes really good airport novels. While Thomas Pynchon need not worry about h
Adrian McCarthy
Jan 23, 2013 Adrian McCarthy rated it it was ok
It's not a bad book, it just wasn't for me. I don't care for the style of writing; there's far to much telling instead of showing. I don't want a three paragraph backstory interrupting the action every time we meet a new character. There were too many point of view characters to really identify with anyone. The plot held no surprises. You immediately know who the good guys are, who the bad guys are, and the story just sort of plays out without anyone facing any real challenges. I never once felt ...more
Kevin Allmaras
Nov 23, 2011 Kevin Allmaras rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of the series with Brad Miller and Dana Cutler. Thoroughly enjoyed this novel. Good introduction of characters, nice plot line that keeps you guessing and plenty of action. A real page turner. The story starts out as a young college student is murdered and is mutilated like a victim of a notorious serial killer. Dana Cutler an ex-cop turned private eye has been hired by an unnamed client to follow the young woman when she tracks her to a private home that has high security she starts takin ...more
grixor
Jul 04, 2016 grixor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truyện hay, đọc cũng có tính li kì, nhưng cái kết chưa được hoành tráng cho lắm. Nếu có sách, mình chắc vẫn sẽ đọc tiếp Dana Cutler.

Một vài review mình vừa đọc phê bình cách viết của tác giả, cách tác giả miêu tả nhân vật. Thực sự là mình không để ý đến mấy cái chi tiết đó, hoặc có thể dịch giả đã hoàn thành quá tốt nhiệm vụ của mình.

Mình đọc cuốn này trong tình trạng vất vưởng, ngồi/nằm trên xe suốt 20 tiếng đồng hồ, rồi đọc nốt trong tình trạng 3h sáng dậy không ngủ lại được, nên review có vẻ
Caitlin O'Sullivan
The President of the United States is linked to the murders of two young women by a junior lawyer and a private detective, triggering a race against time as ruthless elements connected to the president attempt to destroy evidence and the Good Guys attempt to find it and bring the killer to justice.

As other GoodReaders have noted, this is an airport novel: twist-and-turn-y enough to keep your attention, but not so complicated that it ever risks confusing the reader. I'd be happy to give it three
Rick
Jan 04, 2013 Rick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'll admit that after finishing this work I was scratching my head. It wasn't the "mystery" element of the book the cause this condition -- instead, I was perplexed at how the author managed to make an interesting concept into a pretty boring mystery book.

Now I won't brag that I'm a great intellect nor did I expect a tour de force novel. But I figured out "who-dunit" in the first quarter of the book so the only real remaining suspense was how the author was going to pad the book for the balance
Marcus
May 10, 2011 Marcus rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Very strange - I couldn't get into this book despite all the action. It just didn't grab me. There was just something about it that struck me as...I don't know pedestrian maybe? But here's the strange thing, one quarter of the way into a book that's not grabbing me, I pick up Hostage Zero by John Gilstrap and am hooked almost right from the start even though both are from the same genre, political thriller/action story.

However, while HZ started off with the discovery of a kidnapped boy and a pr
Una Tiers
Jan 07, 2013 Una Tiers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book, the blood and gore precluded me from giving it five stars. The pace is terrific. Characters are a little shallow. The author keeps you guessing until the surprise ending.
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; FEBRUARY 5, 2016
Narrator: Jonathan Davis

First book by this author for me, and a debut for the Dana Cutler series.

I enjoyed this immensely and listened to it with one go:) Two threads coalesce into a page-turner and when I was interrupted in my listening, I would bother to backwards to relisten. That's a must because Executive Privilege was intricately plotted and what I initially thought was going to be another run-o-the-mill murder mystery turned out very captivating, indee
Lori
Dec 31, 2014 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
Stacey
Jan 16, 2009 Stacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stacey by: Amy
This book is super exciting and definitely a page turner, or in my case, next disc please! I enjoyed it so much I listened to it a second time before returning it to the library.
This is the kind of book that would make an awesome movie only we all know it would be mutilated since books are always better than the movies!
Dana Cutler is an ex-cop turned PI after a horrible personal experience. Dana is hired by a DC attorney to tail Charlotte Walsh, a teenage campaign volunteer and college student
Feb 26, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I'm not the largest fan of legal thrillers, Phillip Margolin has always managed to grab my attention. I became hooked when I read Sleeping Beauty (2004) which, despite the various negative reviews I've read on it, was actually very, very suspenseful and unpredictable.

Executive Privilege features scandal in the White House; in which young girls turn up dead after having "relations" with the President of the United States. When tough-girl, private investigator Dana Cutler witnesses a secr
Jo-Anne
Apr 20, 2013 Jo-Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal-thrillers
Dana Cutler, a former cop turned private eye, is asked to follow a young college student. After taking pictures of her at a farmhouse and being chased by armed guards the college student is killed by a serial killer. Later Dana is amazed when her pictures showed the college student met with the President. Meanwhile, across the country, Brad Miller, a young associate at a Oregon law firm is handling the appeal of a serial killer who is adamant about the one murder he didn't commit. It is the murd ...more
Michael
Aug 30, 2013 Michael rated it did not like it
I'm not a published author so I don't like writing terrible reviews, but this is a book review site after all. I see that only eight people have given this book one star. I'm going to be the ninth.

There is a lot of telling and not showing in the writing. Never have I read a book and been so distracted by the writing that I started trying to figure out how it could have been written better. My prose has never been that great, but this book should give aspiring writers everywhere hope that one da
Jay Deb
Dec 24, 2015 Jay Deb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nicely plotted novel, no doubt. A woman PI is the main protagonist who does all sorts wired things once she uncovers that the president might be involved in murder of a teenager. Story moves on to another teenager's murder by apparently a serial killer. Guess who is the real murderer?
A young lawyer uncovers the truth about second murder and stumbles upon a third murder. The president does things that, for me, fails the plausibility test.
Lot of action, as CIA agents etc try to wipe the murder
Scott Welch
Sep 15, 2015 Scott Welch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Political conspiracy? Perhaps...

Welcome to Dana Cutler's world and, oh, what a world it is. Dana lives in DC. She was a cop, a bit damaged, and is now a PI. So, what could be the big deal with Cutler surveilling a college co-ed who works on a political campaign? Plenty, especially after the co-ed is found dead. To complicate matters, add in Brad Miller, a new attorney from Portland, who is assigned a pro bono case of someone on death row who reveals a huge political bombshell.

There you have it.
Elaine
Jan 22, 2015 Elaine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked Executive Privilege at first. I really did. The plot itself was compelling. Then there was something missing among its pages. Perhaps it was the believability factor. I have trouble with stories where a single character thwarts ex-military personnel, especially when the character is a female and those she comes up against are more than one at a time with no evidence of her training. Her backstory is even less believable when she comes up against a group of crazed motorcyclists. Her wond ...more
Nicole Hughes
Um. This book is hard to figure out. I love the creativity and the main plot idea behind this book. PLUS, I got it free on my Kindle! Whoo hoo! However, it was one of the most poorly written books, in terms of style, I have ever read. It was almost painful to read. Ugh. I was interested in the book and wanted to finish it, but the plot twists seemed obvious, and the style was on a 7th grade level. Gross.

Mrs. Horton, you read this one right? I am curious what you thought about the style.
 Olivermagnus
When former detective and now private investigator, Dana Cutler, is hired by an attorney with political connections, it seems like a pretty simple job. She just has to follow college student, Charlotte Walsh and report on everything she does. Unfortunately the unexpected happens and Dana takes photos of Charlotte meeting with Christopher Farrington, the president of the United States. The following morning, Walsh’s dead body shows up and strangers are trying to kill Dana.

Meanwhile on the other
Kathy
Jul 21, 2014 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ereader-owned

A junior associate in an Oregon law firm, Brad Miller is stunned by the death row revelations of convicted serial killer Clarence Little. Though L
Jay Jessmer
I enjoyed the story well enough, predictable as it was, but something about the writing style rubbed me wrong.I can't really put my finger on it, it just felt somewhat basic, for lack of a better word. I couldn't really connect with any of the players at all. Very little character development and spotty back stories for most of them. It made me feel like I had missed a previous novel, but upon further review, this appears to be the first in a series featuring Dana Cutler.
I couldn't get any typ
Margie
Jun 22, 2011 Margie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really like the writings of Phillip Margolin, but he dropped the ball with this book. It has to do with the President of the US, who is a horndog and his secret service men covering for him. There are a series of murders which may or may not be tied indirectly to the president. This was all very interesting except that he kills the book by not keeping up the suspense as the killer is caught.
Rob1109
Nov 03, 2014 Rob1109 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve read 3 previous books by Phillip Margolin and I will say this. While he has never been one of my favorite authors, I’ve always enjoyed his novels. His books are not GREAT, but good, sometimes very good. I’ve never not finished reading a Margolin book, never lost interest or put it down.

Executive Privilege is, in my opinion, his BEST work. The character development is good, dialogue is realistic. The book has a perfect blend of dialogue with action and both are well written. The characters w
Samyann
May 01, 2014 Samyann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A private detective, a wet-behind-the-ears law firm associate, a philandering United States President and his First Lady, a couple of serial killers, a few hell-bent-on-protection agents, and a bunch of lawyers with the scruples of … well, lawyers. There are many more peripheral characters in Executive Privilege, too many, but those listed pretty much are the key players. Only a couple of the characters are well developed, in my opinion. The story is extremely creative on the part of Margolin an ...more
Judy
Nov 01, 2013 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great beach read! It kept my interest start to finish. As a matter of fact, it was a real page-turner for me. Even though I figured things out a good while before the ending, the author did a great job of making me want to see how he would work things out. Definitely worth my time.
Tom
Jun 04, 2012 Tom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Altogether ridiculously far-fetched. Don't bother; though, if you're stranded and it's the only book available, and you get started, you will want to find out what the hell happens to these wholly implausible people in a wholly implausible situation.
Coki
Nov 11, 2008 Coki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Blech - "twist" ending seen from the very beginning. Flashback at the beginning of the book never supported. Bad characterization. All of this makes for a poorly written book. Margolin - you are off the list.
Jun 18, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This might be closer to five stars than to four. A young associate on the West Coast and a former cop on the East Coast get caught up in two separate murder investigations that possibly implicate the most powerful individuals in the land. Margolin makes the characters and their actions somewhat believable, and as the investigation continues, the author keeps your attention by throwing a few surprises in. The only reason why I'm not giving it five stars is while reading it, I felt that there were ...more
Chris
Mar 12, 2016 Chris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Although I'm a big fan of Phillip Margolin's books, I was disappointed in this one. The characters were interesting, but the premise was so unrealistic! I felt let down!
Greg Dill
Sep 19, 2015 Greg Dill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably my favorite Margolin book. The story kept evolving, with more twists and turns developing throughout the story. There was never a dull moment as I find in many crime mystery books. Perhaps the greatest thing about this story is that I was never able to figure out who did it. The reader is led to believe the crimes were committed by one of several people, none of which was true at the end. The story shows that nobody is above the law, not even those in the highest of government o ...more
  • The Devil's Cradle (Kendall O'Dell #2)
  • A Place Called Armageddon
  • From the Ashes
  • The Hunt
  • Moscow Sting (Anna Resnikov, #2)
  • Protector
  • Raven Strike (Dreamland, #13)
  • Gutshot Straight
  • Amberville
  • The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World: Geography for the Lost and Found
  • Spinning
  • Dead Politician Society (Clare Vengel Undercover, #1)
  • Scavenger Hunt (A Finny Aletter Mystery, Book 1)
  • Needle in a Haystack
  • Married in Haste (Marriage, #1)
  • The Crime of Julian Wells
  • The Breath of God
  • Everybody's Daughter

Dana Cutler (4 books)
  • Supreme Justice (Dana Cutler, #2)
  • Capitol Murder (Dana Cutler, #3)
  • Sleight of Hand (Dana Cutler, #4)