Between the Rivers

Between the Rivers

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  12 reviews
At the sun-drenched dawn of human history, in the great plain between the two great rivers, are the cities of men. And each city is ruled by its god.

But the god of the city of Gibil is lazy and has let the men of his city develop the habit of thinking for themselves. Now the men of Gibil have begun to devise arithmetic, and commerce, and are sending expeditions to trade wi...more
Published April 15th 1999 by Tor Fantasy (first published 1998)

Rooftops of Tehran by Mahbod SerajiReading Lolita in Tehran by Azar NafisiNot Without My Daughter by Betty MahmoodyRubaiyat of Omar Khayyam by Omar KhayyamMurder in Mesopotamia by Agatha Christie
Iran and Iraq, Ancient and Modern
122nd out of 251 books — 77 voters
Dune by Frank HerbertThe Blue Sword by Robin McKinleyThrone of the Crescent Moon by Saladin AhmedCastle in the Air by Diana Wynne JonesThe Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan
Desert Fantasy
65th out of 74 books — 41 voters

More lists with this book...

Brenda Clough
This is the only book about the ancient Middle East I have ever read that is written in the style of their literature. Watch for the doubling, a literary device popular in things like the Psalms. Bob says to Sam, "I am going to the house of my father." Sam says back to Bob, "You are going to the house of your father." Expertly done!
Michael
Very cool! I like this writer. Difficult to define this, historical fantasy maybe? The story takes place at the dawn of civilization in Mesopotamia, in a land where each city and place has a god that is actually alive and walking around. They are able to feel thoughts and directly control the people within their borders. The main character is a metalsmith and trader who aims to end the rule of the gods and allow a world ruled by men.
Diana Sandberg
Hmmm. The author is, apparently, a scholar of ancient history. This is a mildly engaging story and the style is presumably deliberately in imitation of the highly repetitive storytelling style of ancient tales like the Epic of Gilgamesh (not that I've read much of that, but I have read extracts). I find it an interesting idea and all that, but it was rather wearying to plod through almost 400 pages of it. The brain keeps wanting to race ahead while the narrative rings the minute changes on descr...more
Scott
An entertaining read. I really like a lot of the little details included in the book like how since coinage wasn't invented yet goods were traded and how everyone was so provincial in their attitudes towards people from other places. Anyway it was an easy read, I finished it in two days so it kept my interest. I've never read anything by this author before but I think I'll look for more of his stuff.
I'm not sure if the author was trying to make some kind of Randian point regarding the freedom an...more
Christine Frost
As someone who loves to study the ancient Near East, I found this to be a great story. The author took an unusual approach in how he made the gods real, and part of the everyday lives of the characters in this society. It felt as though the author really did a lot of research to make this early civilization as realistic as possible. While I felt the characterizations could have been stronger, the overall story was fantastic, and I was really captivated by how the plot unfolded. Great combination...more
Sydney
As much as I normally love Harry Turtledove, the really odd grammar and sentence structure used in the dialogue makes this book a bit hard to read. They have a really formal third-person way of talking that takes some getting used to.

Plus the feminist part of me wanted some justice for their house slave.
Maggie Anton
May 16, 2012 Maggie Anton rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of historical fiction and alternative history
Recommended to Maggie by: Gary Hoggatt
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Even though it is alternative history, Turtledove's description of ancient Mesopotamia is pretty accurate. His premise on how the ancient gods lost their powers is clever and insightful. I loved the interaction between the gods, ghosts, and living characters.
Brentman99
Dec 07, 2013 Brentman99 rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who like Turledove's writing.
I like a lot of what Turtledove writes, but while this series wasn't bad, it is no where near as good as his works such as Misplaced Legion and The Tosev series. Not a bad read, but definitely not in the class of his other works.
Andy
Great story set in a bronze-age fantasy land where cuneiform is still a cutting-edge technology and the gods take a very active and personal hand in the lives of men.
Jenniffer
Overall I guess it wasn't a bad book, but I like some of his other books much better. This takes place early in human history.
Molly
An alright book, got kind of slow at times, and is VERY wordy, but the characters are kind of clever so it's entertaining.
Ashley
It starts off fun and interesting, then everything goes to hell.
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Brian Olson
Brian Olson marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
William
William marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Rick Ingersoll
Rick Ingersoll marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
  • 1812: The Rivers of War (Trail of Glory, #1)
  • Morevi: The Chronicles of Rafe and Askana (Book 1)
  • Wave Without a Shore (Alliance-Union Universe)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Nineteenth Annual Collection
  • A Stainless Steel Trio (Stainless Steel Rat, #1-3)
  • The High-Tech Knight (Conrad Stargard, #2)
  • In the Company of Others
  • Chronospace
  • Merlin's Bones
  • The Hidden Stars (Rune of Unmaking #1)
  • Janissaries: Clan and Crown (Janissaries, #2)
  • Journey Into the Void (Sovereign Stone, #3)
  • The Warlock Rock (Warlock Series, #10)
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce...more
More about Harry Turtledove...
The Guns of the South In the Balance (Worldwar, #1) How Few Remain (Timeline-191, #1) Tilting the Balance (Worldwar, #2) Striking the Balance (Worldwar, #4)