Start by marking “Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends” as Want to Read:
Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends

Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends (Wong Herbert Yee's Mouse and Mole)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  51 reviews
It is a blustery spring day, and Mouse and Mole are very excited. They are going to go bird watching! They are planning to make bird books! Mouse and Mole pack paper and crayons and hurry outside. It turns out, birds are not so easy to watch. Splashing in puddles scare them away. Stepping on crunchy leaves does too.
Mole rubs his snout. Mouse twirls her tail. Together, they
Published August 17th 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH)

To ask other readers questions about Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends

Jeanette
Really, what is not to love about this book? Two friends, Mouse and Mole, are going out to bird watch together armed with crayons and sketchpads. They are nice to each other, they work together, they are creative (they make bird costumes when the birds keep flying away from them). The book is nature themed with bird calls and different types of leaves identified etc.
Mouse and Mole are very different but they work together, each using his or her talents, to put together their own bird book in th
Ashlee Christians
This book's audience would be a younger audience between elementary grades to possibly beginning of middle school. Although it was a bit longer than most picture books, there were still plenty of pictures for the reader(s) to look at while they read.

I believe this book is very appealing to its audience because it has a combination of humor, friendship, and problem solving, all combined into one book. I would love to read this to a future class of mine one day because there are so many cross-curr
Jacoba
Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends
Genre: Picture book
Format: Book
Plot summary: When spring arrives, Mole and Mouse find a unique way to bird watch
Considerations or precautions for readers advisory (strong language, sex, death, religious overtones, violence, etc.): No special considerations
Review citation (if available):Fleche, Monica School Library Journal , February 2010, Vol. 56 Issue 2, p98-98
Section source used to find the material: Theodor Seuss Geisel Award Nominee (2010), ALA Notable
Gail Gauthier
"The book has a Frog and Toad vibe, which is good, though wordier. Fine Feathered Friends is all about Mouse and Mole watching birds. And drawing them. And writing poetry about them. The whole thing.

Over the course of a story about the two friends having to find a way to get close to the birds they want to draw, Mouse and Mole pass off a small amount of avian info. But what really makes this book at all environmental is that Mouse and Mole want to do this bird stuff. They want to draw them and w
Marissa Lubinski
I thought this book was pretty good. This book is about two friends Mouse and Mole. It's springtime and they want to draw birds. They cannot however because every time they get close to the birds, the birds get scared of them and fly away. Then Mouse had the idea for her and Mole to dress up like birds so the birds would not be scared. Mouse and Mole get to work making bird costumes. They go up in the tree and it actually works. The birds are not afraid of them so they are able to draw them perf ...more
Inspired Kathy
Probably good for a beginning reader but my daughter didn't sit through it as a read aloud.
Sharne' Cherry
1. Controlled Vocabulary Picture book
2. Mouse and Mole embark on an adventure in which they teach skills such as teamwork, brainstorming, and good ideas to their readers. Its chapters tell the story of how Mouse and Mole are able to disguise themselves as birds in order to see them up close enough to draw them.
a. Usage of words
b. The usage of words in this book can be somewhat too much for the reader to understand. A young reader would not be able to read this book alone and understand all o
Samuel Inskeep
This was a very charming friendship story between a mouse and a mole, there isn’t anything too extraordinary, or astonishing within the story though. Comprised of a lot of short sentences, bright sweet pictures, and closer to the size of a novel than a picture-book. None the less I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I would definitely consider reading it as a bed time story for my children.
Liz
Mouse and Mole decide to go on a bird watching adventure. Using their creativity, they devise several plans to get extra close to the birds so they can draw their portraits and make their own bird book.

"Mole and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends" is appropriate for ages 5-6 (Grades PreK-K).

This is book is perfect for young children learning to read. Illustrations are paired with words, giving readers a vision representation of what they are reading. Many of the words, phrases, and ideas in the book
Michele Knott
2010 Geisel Honor award
Great beginning readers chapter book. I like how the characters solved their problems. The chapters were all based around their desire to bird watch and take notes or illustrations.
Lauren
Geisel Award Honoree and a cute story about two friends trying to go bird watching. Lots of new vocabulary like "siskin" (I don't even know what that is) might make this a bit hard for beginning readers, but the illustrations and the message of the ups and downs of friendship are clear and appealing.
Crisp
This is my preschooler's current favorite. After a read, he likes to re-enact Mouse and Mole's story - rolling around in the cloth leafs for their disguise, building the nest, going "ouch!" and fixing it, giggling all the way to the end. We'll be picking up Mouse and Mole's other adventures to find out what else they get up to.
S.K.
I really like these two characters. The author took great care to point out their differences and give them deeper personalities. Cute stories just right for the beginning reader.
Jodi
Great book to use in the classroom! Using prediction, onomatopoeia, different types of sentences, working together, art projects -- so many uses!
Nielson
Mouse and Mole are a delight to read about! In this new adventure of theirs, Spring is just arriving and they decide to go bird watching. They set out with their sketch pad and crayons, ready to draw away! They soon realize that birds are harder to watch than you think! With no luck of sketching any birds, they devise a new plan....they will dress like birds because birds aren't scared of birds! Readers will be enthralled as they watch the transformation of Mouse and Mole into fine feathered fri ...more
Tierney
Mouse and Mole go bird-watching and then write their own book together. Enough said :)
Amanda
Mouse and Mole take a creative approach to birdwatching, and learn to combine their strengths to create their book.

Fine Feathered Friends incorporates a playful approach to language and a story with a timeless feel appropriate for beginning readers.
Elanor
All by herself!
Bridget R. Wilson
It's springtime in the forest. Friends Mouse and Mole are going birding. With the help of a clever disguise, Mouse writes poems about the birds and Mole draws their pictures. They put their creations together in a book.

What I thought: I love the Mouse and Mole books. They remind me a bit of Willems' Elephant & Piggie books but with more words. The illustrations are charming. Friends everywhere will appreciate Mouse and Mole's friendship.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This was a 2010 Theodor Seuss Geisel Award honor book, for easy readers. Its 4 chapters tell the story of how Mouse and Mole disguise themselves as birds in order to see them up close enough to draw them. This book would be good for learning about different birds and what songs they sing, and also for how to collaborate on a book, as Mouse and Mole did. Recommended for beginning readers, budding authors, and birdwatchers.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Mouse and Mole share a few bird-themed adventures in this early reader. They bird watch with binoculars (pine-cones are birds, right?), they make "feathered" clothing, draw pictures of birds, and write poems about birds. They even do some collaboration and create a bird book. The illustrations are engaging, detailed and compliment the lengthy, sometimes long-winded text.
Andrea
2010 Geisel Honor Book. Nice story for beginning readers about bird-watching. Introduces names of birds and their songs, where birds live and how they build nests, names of plants, other good outdoorsy stuff. Mouse and Mole have a nice, warm friendship, and this book builds in some gentle lessons about collaboration and appreciating the talents of others.
Alexandria Shafer
I thought that this was a very cute book it is a good book that shows friendship and determination. I feel that it would be a good book if you are going to read it to a younger child, but would be more suited to a second or third grade reading level just due to the length of he book and the complexity of some of the words.
Mrs.
I am not sure who would really like this book in my current population of students. It is a cute read but at times it seemed to have words that were beyond a beginning reader. The book has a cute story plot, cute problem solving theme of working together for a good solution in the end. Geisel Honor
Gwen the Librarian
Mouse and Mole are very sweet characters, reminiscent of Frog and Toad. In this story, they want to draw birds and must find a way to not scare the birds off. Then they must come to terms with their own unique talents. These readers are at the higher level, for kids who are almost ready for chapters.
Esther May
I love mouse and mole. I love this book especially when it shows the difference between how these two friends watch, observe and describe the birds. One uses words and the other pictures. I also love how they figure out that each of these talents is worth while and not better than the other.
Penny Peck
With spot cartoon art in color and ink outlines, this longer easy reader was a Geisel Honor recipient. Friends Mouse and Mole go birdwatching, try to make a nest, and collaborate on a bird scrapbook. Sweet and a little old fashioned but effective as a reader due to the repetition in the text.
paula
We are all different, we all have strengths, we come up with fun things to do together, and we are drawn with the sweetest little graphite line and delicate but earthy watercolors. Sometimes I forget that little and calm and sweet are just as fun as bang and zap and pow.
Claudia  Fett
Mouse and Mole Fine Feathered Friends is an excellent beginning reader chapter book. The story capitalizes on finding individual strengths. This is also a good book for the following ideas: poetry writing, friendship, drawing and creating a book together.
  • Pearl and Wagner: One Funny Day
  • Penny and Her Doll
  • Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover
  • Tales for Very Picky Eaters
  • Ballet Cat The Totally Secret Secret
  • Chicken Said "Cluck!" (My First I Can Read)
  • I Spy Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #7)
  • Dodsworth in New York
  • Wolfsnail: A Backyard Predator
  • Ling & Ting Share a Birthday
  • Zelda and Ivy: The Runaways (Zelda and Ivy #4)
  • Let's Go for a Drive!
  • A Birthday for Bear: An Early Reader
  • Up, Tall, and High!
  • Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Turn the Page
  • Hello, Bumblebee Bat
  • Stinky

Wong Herbert Yee's Mouse and Mole (7 books)
  • Upstairs Mouse, Downstairs Mole
  • Abracadabra! Magic with Mouse and Mole
  • A Brand-New Day with Mouse and Mole
  • Mouse and Mole: A Winter Wonderland
  • Mouse and Mole, A Perfect Halloween
  • Mouse and Mole, Secret Valentine
Upstairs Mouse, Downstairs Mole Mouse and Mole: A Winter Wonderland Fireman Small Summer Days and Nights Who Likes Rain?