Harmless as Doves (Ohio Amish Mystery, #7)

Harmless as Doves (Ohio Amish Mystery #7)

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  30 reviews
As he goes about his milking chores on a cold October morning, Bishop Leon Shetler daydreams of escaping the Ohio winter and taking a bus to the Pinecraft Amish community in Florida for a vacation. His reverie is suddenly interrupted when young Crist Burkholder enters the barn, head down, hat in hand, to make a confession. “I just killed Glenn Spiegle.”

“An Amish murderer?”...more
Published June 21st 2011 by Ohio University Press (first published June 15th 2011)

Mayda
If you are looking for an Amish tale filled with flowery language, sappy romance, and angst, keeps looking, because this novel by P. L. Gaus is none of those things. However, if you want a tightly written, engaging mystery with believable characters who draw you into the story, look no further than this Amish-Country mystery series. In this novel, the seventh in the series, the unthinkable has happened: a young Amish man has confessed to killing another Amish man with his bare hands. But there i...more
Karen Blinn
P.L. Gaus has added another entry to his Amish mystery series. This one is lots of fun because it takes place in both Holmes County, OH. and Manatee/Sarasota Counties, FL. I had no idea that the Amish were such a force in that area of Florida, but an independent source has confirmed that it is indeed true and that the descriptions in the book were accurate. The books starts out with an Amish man confessing to his bishop that he just killed another Amish man. The rest of the book is spent unrave...more
Bobbi
This series started out pretty good but faltered in the middle. The last couple of books, I have been hesitant to pick up due to the dud. However, this one reminded me of some the better writing done by Gaus. I enjoyed the story of Amish who vacation in Florida. That amuses me for some reason. It's not totally set in Florida, it's set in Ohio. There's a trip but most of the action takes place in Holmes County.

Another solid entry into this series.
Susanne
I spent a year living and working in rural central Ohio and read some of Gaus's Amish mysteries in preparation for my stay and then again toward the end of my time there. As someone who got to know some Amish people fairly well and as an anthropologist who has spent a lot of time thinking and writing about how members of other cultures or subcultures are presented on the written page, I have always been impressed by the thoughtful observations and reflections on Amish culture that Gaus weaves in...more
Amodini
Originally posted at my blog, here.

I haven’t read P.L.Gaus before and the last time I read a book about the Amish community it was Jodi Picault’s “Plain Truth”. Gaus’s writing style is slow and meticulous; he describes people, their surroundings and their thoughts in great detail, which helps one steep in the atmosphere. I do appreciate this kind of languorous writing because it gets me, as a reader, firmly ensconced in the story and the lives of the characters, and once you are in and hooked, y...more
Bea
"An Amish murderer?" I admit, I had a similar thought. I know that the Amish are just people, human like the rest of us, but I still had a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of an Amish person committing murder. Gaus handles this sensitively, and without putting the Amish up on a pedestal while treating them respectfully. Although, it seemed to me at times as if the bishop, Leon Shetler, seemed was a bit too proud of himself and his treatment of his wife. The repetition of what a goo...more
Cathy Cole
First Line: Well before dawn, Bishop Leon D. Shetler was coaxed from sleep by the whispers of his morning chores, and he rose up and sat on the edge of his bed, honoring his custom of thanking God for the peace that rested over his household.

Bishop Shetler begins his morning chores with a small daydream of taking his beloved wife down to the Pinecraft Amish community in Florida for a vacation to escape the Ohio winter. Buses run down there every week. But that daydream is interrupted when young...more
Grace
Author: P. L. Gaus
Title: Harmless as Doves
Description: An Amish convert turns up dead, and a young Amish man hurries to confess the murder to his Bishop. Questions remain, however: how did one punch (from a pacifist) kill an adult man? What happened between the time the confessed killer fled the scene and law enforcement’s arrival? And where is the dead man’s best friend?
Review source: netgalley
Plot: The plot grabbed me right away. I have to admit that I’m not a fan of those Amish romances that...more
Anna Berendzen
I thought that the plot of this book was interesting: trying to defend an Amish youth who thinks that he killed someone and doesn't know anything about the legal system.

I have mixed feelings about this book. Some parts I was gripping the next page trying to unravel the mystery and learn what was going to happen next next, but at other times I was lost in (what seemed like) superfluous characters and life details. Don't get me wrong, I love a descriptive book so I can fully immerse myself in it b...more
Becky
Great mystery involving an Amish community in Ohio. Mystery, suspense, with a little action and humor too. I kinda got lost amongst all the names & descriptions though. Fascinating to learn quite a bit about the Amish. Good Christian perspective too.
Lynn Lerch
This is the seventh book in the Amish Country Murder Series and very good. P L Gaus makes one feel that one is living in an Anish community in Ohio. One cold morning Bishop Leon Shetler gets up to milk his cow and Chris Burkholder comes running up his drive yelling he killed Glenn Spiegle. The story takes place in Ohio and at the end Florida. I didn't know that Amish people went to Florida near Sarasota for vacations. I learn something new in each book Gaus writes. A very enjoyable mystery. My f...more
Carol
An excellent read! The simplicity of the story, due to the Amish influence, combined with the complexity the mystery made for a great book. It felt more like a real life story than a mystery novel. Having heard Amish stories all my life, I felt a connection to that part of it.
The progression of the story was both laid back and rushed, as seen from each perspective...Amish or English. It was filled a message that has made me think about things in my own life. That is a good book that can do that...more
Sharon Huether
Harmless as Doves : An Amish Country Mystery By P. L. Gaus Thankyou Goodread for sending me such a good book. This author packed a big story in a small book. A murder in Amish Country; not committed by the accused, for he had only knocked him cold, but he still felt guilty. The victim was not who he pretended to be; but a felon who was trying to hide from a vengeful father. Acquital was in store for the real Amish young man. The murderer did not get away.
Debra
Think about it.... trying to defend a murder suspect who is completely ignorant of legal philosophy and procedure but believes himself morally guilty. Can the real culprit be indentified?

Another interesting mystery set in Holmes County OH's Amish Country. One of the most authentic Amish series that I have found.

An interesting tidbit was learning about the Amish winter colony of Pinecraft FL. Yes, it is real.
Amanda
I received this book through the Goodreads First Reads program.

This was an okay book for me. I think it would have been better if I had read the books that came before this one in the series. There were a lot of characters to keep up with and I am assuming that I would have been familiar with some of them if I started the series from the beginning. The book was well-written and I did enjoy the story.
Anna
I not a huge fan of this book. I picked it up because an Amish mystery sounded interesting, and I did like that part. This is the seventh book of a series, and that may have contributed to the problem. Largely, though, there were too many characters to keep up with, too many side plots taking up too much space, and not enough actual meat to the mystery.
Mlewis
I picked this book up as a part of a book club. The writing is well done, but not having read the previous books, I found it difficult to follow characters and some of the back story. I'm sure if I went back and read the previous books, I'd like it more, but this book didn't appeal to me enough to go back and read the series.
Dianesugars
This was a very good short mystery from an author I had never read before. I really liked the storyline and felt that the author did a very good job of keeping the story moving and also kept the reader guessing as to who the murderer was. I will be looking for some more of this authors books to read in the future!
Andy Plonka
I'm not a big fan of amateur detectives, cozies and the like but this one has enough meat to it to improve it. It is set in an Amish community in rural Ohio, though parts of the action take place in Florida. (The Amish do take winter vacations, though it is not disclosed whether or not they visit Disneyland)
Barb
V E R Y slow starting - I fell asleep twice in the first 10 pages. I didn't realize that there was an Amish guilt complex so close to the Catholic one. I didn't understand the ending - if anyone has read it, feel free to comment.
LikeTheDog
OK for a quick, light read. Great idea, but it quickly becomes muddied by too many subplots and too many extraneous characters. Too bad the author felt he had to throw everything into one pot.
Renie
An Amish Country mystery which takes place in Ohio and then on to Florida. I always enjoy the detailed descriptions of Amish practices and learning more about these interesting families.
Susan Earle
An excellent seventh installment in a solid mystery series. Paul Gaus' knowledge and understanding of the Amish provides him with the basis for a compelling story.
John Hanscom
Actually, 3 1/2. The problem is, I've read a lot of Amish mysteries. This book was good, but not THAT good.
Angela
Seventh book in the series. The addition of Florida as part of the storyline was very interesting.
Valerie
Got this for free on First Reads. Read this in just a few hours, and could not put it down.
Tory Hunz
This was about as exciting as you would expect an Amish murder mystery to be.
Maureen
Well written...compeling enough to seek out others in the series.
Donna Tipping
Not as good as some of his others
PWRL
Aug 16, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
E
  • Return to Grace (Home Valley, #2)
  • Healing Hearts: Healing Hearts / A Change of Heart / A Choice to Forgive
  • Danger in Amish Country: Fall from Grace\Dangerous Homecoming\Return to Willow Trace
  • Summer of Secrets (Seasons of the Heart #1)
  • The Doctor's Blessing (Brides of Amish Country, #2)
  • A Simple Winter (Seasons of Lancaster #1)
  • An Amish Family Reunion
  • When Strawberries Bloom (Lizzie Searches for Love, #2)
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • Love Finds You in Sugarcreek, Ohio
  • Hannah's Dream (Hannah's Heart, #1)
  • The Search (Lancaster County Secrets, #3)
  • Amish Winter Wonderland (Jacob's Daughter #2)
  • The Heart's Journey (Stitches in Time #2)
  • Promise to Return (The Promise of Sunrise #1)
Paul L. Gaus writes The Amish-Country Mysteries, set authentically in the Amish settlements of Holmes County, Ohio. Three life-long friends - Professor Michael Branden, Sheriff Bruce Robertson, and Pastor Caleb Troyer - work sometimes together and other times at crossed purposes to solve mysteries involving the often inscrutable Amish sects of the region. The rich cast of English characters includ...more
More about P.L. Gaus...
Blood of the Prodigal (Ohio Amish Mystery, #1) Broken English (Ohio Amish Mystery, #2) Clouds Without Rain (Ohio Amish Mystery, #3) A Prayer for the Night (Ohio Amish Mystery, #5) Cast A Blue Shadow (Ohio Amish Mystery, #4)