Start by marking “Cast a Blue Shadow: An Amish-Country Mystery” as Want to Read:
Cast a Blue Shadow: An Amish-Country Mystery

Cast a Blue Shadow: An Amish-Country Mystery (Amish-Country Mysteries #4)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  22 reviews
When the widow of a revered Millersburg College alumnus and one of the school's biggest donors is brutally murdered, authorities fear that Martha Lehman, a young Mennonite college girl, holds the key. but Martha-who was found covered in blood the morning after the murder- isn't talking.
Published December 1st 2010 by Plume Books (first published November 15th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Cast a Blue Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cast a Blue Shadow

JoAnn
This book was intriguing to read. To be from Ohio, and not knowing about the Amish culture, i wanted to know more. This book was kind of slow moving at first, but then I eventually got into it, and the plot started to move faster and faster. The plot was about how an extremely rich woman, Juliet Favor became murdered in the Amish community. She was known as the mean woman, so the book made it seem like anyone could have killed her. It kept you guessing. Then the story goes on to say that a girl ...more
Ashley Dawn
The murder of a multimillionaire in her own home has the quiet county of Holmes stirred up. Being mostly Amish, there is little to no crime in the area, but when it happens the crime is BIG. The problem the police have in solving this case is it seems EVERYONE has a motive to murder Juliet Favor! She is a decidedly wicked woman with a vengeful streak and she has no problem telling people what she thinks of them, from her daughter to the president of the University….or cutting the funds her late ...more
Alethea Bothwell
So the mysteries are getting better, sort of (they're certainly getting more violent), but they're less directly Amish.
Rena Holcomb
Reasonable characters, leans more toward English than Amish, imo, but the writing is clear and crisp and the story intriguing.
Elizabeth
the premise remains preposterous, but i can't stop reading them ...
Mayda
Every action creates a reaction, and often the chain of events is unpredictable. P. L. Gaus spins a spellbinding tale of greed and motherly love careening out of control in this fourth book of his Amish mystery series. Set in Ohio, Gaus does a masterful job of describing the communities of the Amish and the English and what happens when the two interact. There is an undercurrent of despair and secrecy, of control and defiance. Clues are present for the astute reader: match your wits with the cha ...more
Caroline
I started reading this series years ago then somehow forgot about it. I think there was a lapse between the book I had finished reading and the one that had followed. Anyway, I really enjoy the characters that Gaus created and his treatment of the Amish and Mennonite peoples of Ohio. My dad had once lived in that area, and it is fun for me to hear of places and things I remember from those visits. Someone said that Gaus is the Tony Hillerman of the Amish people. I think that's about right.
Doylestown Bookshop
Reviewed by Kimberly Underwood

I started the book and soon found that as it is the latest in a series one really needed to have read the previous books. I managed to locate the first book in the series and read it. I am looking forward to finding the others
and getting caught up so I can read this one. If the writer has continued in the fashion of the first book, I'm sure it will be a great read. But for right now, I cannot give any additional information.
Andy Plonka
This book follows a character highlighted in a previous book in the series, Martha a girl who was sexually abused as a young child. Her troubles are continued in this book. Though the method of death was unusual the author offerred too much information to the reader such that the perpetrator and, in general, the motive became obvios before the professor exposed said villain.
Jolynne
This was my book for the trip home. With the 3 hours of delays we had, it needed to be much longer. I finished with 1 1/5 hours left on the plane to SLC. Anyway, I felt like there was much left unresolved, but I will probalby read more in the series.
Angela
P. L. Gaus did not disappoint with this book in his Amish-Country Mystery series. Another interesting storyline that really drew me in. I especially loved seeing the relationship develop between Sheriff Robertson and the medical examiner, Missy.
Gwen
Amish Girl with a history of sex-abuse. Family turns Mennonite. Rich widow with 2 kids. Son dates amish girl but mother opposes it. Chem prof poisons widow when his funding is getting cut. son bashes mom's head in after she is dead.
Elizabeth
This is one author who educates the reader about the day to day life of the Amish and other sects without romanticizing it. This is a well done mystery with depth of characters , intriguing plot and good conclusion.
John Hanscom
Maybe a little less. This is part of a series called "Amish-Country" mysteries, and there was very little about the Amish or the Mennonite in it, though what was there was very good. Still, it was a good story.
Sandy
Like the Holmes County setting, because I visited there many times before it became so touristy. My husband's parents lived nearby. Story is ok, but not as good as his 1st book, Blood of the Prodigal.
Melissa
About a murder of a millionaire-It could have had nothing to do with an Amish?? it could have been omitted and it could have been the same story...would have given it 2 1/2 stars
KDawn
I found this book in a shop while browsing. SO GLAD I picked it up. Well written and an easy read...I flew through it in 3 days. I'll be reading the rest of the series!
Charmaine Puzey
Was an OK mystery story but really had nothing to do with the Amish except it mentioned a buggy once in a while.
Judith
I think this series is getting better as it moves along.
Mike Davison
The best of the series so far, I think.
PWRL
Sep 05, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
E
Sandy
Sandy added it
Jan 25, 2015
Patt
Patt marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
CJ Vaughn
CJ Vaughn marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Leeann
Leeann added it
Jan 15, 2015
Maria Sarris
Maria Sarris is currently reading it
Jan 08, 2015
  • Grave Consequences (An Emma Fielding Mystery #2)
  • Third Degree (A Murder 101 Mystery #5)
  • Angel's Verdict (Beaufort & Company Mystery, #4)
  • An Anne Perry Christmas: Two Holiday Novels: A Christmas Journey and A Christmas Visitor (Christmas Stories, #1-2)
  • State Fair (Benni Harper, #14)
  • Running Around (And Such) (Lizzie Searches for Love, #1)
  • Sleeping With Anemone (A Flower Shop Mystery, #9)
  • Plain Proposal (Daughters of the Promise, #5)
  • Murder on Black Friday (Gilded Age Mystery, #4)
  • Wild at Heart  (The DeMarco Family, #2)
  • The Search (Lancaster County Secrets, #3)
  • Autumn Winds (Seasons of the Heart #2)
  • Rachel's Garden (Pleasant Valley, #2)
Paul L. Gaus writes The Amish-Country Mysteries, set authentically in the Amish settlements of Holmes County, Ohio. Three life-long friends - Professor Michael Branden, Sheriff Bruce Robertson, and Pastor Caleb Troyer - work sometimes together and other times at crossed purposes to solve mysteries involving the often inscrutable Amish sects of the region. The rich cast of English characters includ ...more
More about P.L. Gaus...

Amish-Country Mysteries (9 books)
  • Blood of the Prodigal (Ohio Amish Mystery, #1)
  • Broken English (Ohio Amish Mystery, #2)
  • Clouds Without Rain (Ohio Amish Mystery, #3)
  • A Prayer for the Night (Ohio Amish Mystery, #5)
  • Separate from the World (Ohio Amish Mystery, #6)
  • Harmless as Doves: An Amish-Country Mystery
  • The Names of Our Tears: An Amish-Country Mystery
  • Whiskers of the Lion: An Amish-Country Mystery
Blood of the Prodigal (Ohio Amish Mystery, #1) Broken English (Ohio Amish Mystery, #2) Clouds Without Rain (Ohio Amish Mystery, #3) A Prayer for the Night (Ohio Amish Mystery, #5) Separate from the World (Ohio Amish Mystery, #6)