Start by marking “A Prayer for the Night: An Amish-Country Mystery” as Want to Read:
A Prayer for the Night: An Amish-Country Mystery

A Prayer for the Night: An Amish-Country Mystery (Amish-Country Mysteries #5)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Three young friends disappear while traveling on their Amish rite of passage, Rumschpringe, or wild days. In a race against the clock, the sheriff must find a murderer and break a ruthless drug ring operating within the heart of Ohio's Amish Country.
Published January 1st 2011 by Plume Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Prayer for the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Prayer for the Night

Mayda
Temptations and choices. We face them every day. Should I eat that second slice of pie? What will happen if I call in sick and go to the ball game instead? Should I marry for money or remain single? Some are not important decisions; others are life changing. For young Amish people, perhaps the most important decision of their lives is whether to become baptized Amish or join the English and embrace their worldly temptations. In this tale, P. L. Gaus illustrates what can happen when formerly obed ...more
Jenn
Mystery novels are my go-to choice for mindless reading. Problem is, often there is more language, sex and gore than I really care to read about. Given this is a mystery book about the Amish community, I figured it would be a better bet for lazy summer reading than some of the others I have tried. This book succeeded for me in being interesting without being too bawdy with a satisfying mystery-solved conclusion.
Joe A
Apr 19, 2009 Joe A rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers Who Enjoy Mysteries
A Prayer for the Night is an Ohio Amish mystery story written by Paul Gaus. A Prayer for the Night is about an Amish community whose teenage members struggle to resist the temptations of the modern world. Among such temptations are technology, drugs, and teenage relationships. Secret meetings and uncustomary practices by some teenagers in the community present possible trouble. The disobedient group soon find themselves in more trouble than they ever could have imagined when a person is murdered ...more
Paul Lunger
P.L. Gaus's "A Prayer for the Night" is another entry in his Amish Country mystery series set in Holmes County, Ohio. In this installation, the Amish rite of passage known as Rumschpringe is explored when Amish youths are given a chance to throw off their way of life briefly in order to experience life as an English person would. The story follows Sara Yoder who is embarking on this rite of passage & her discovery of the body of fellow teen John Schlabaugh things get a bit interesting. When ...more
Donald Barnes
I appreciate all of the books in this series. We recently visited the area of Ohio that serves as the setting. It is worth the time to take a field trip!
MomIsReading
I don’t think the publisher gives enough marketing support to this author which is a shame. This is the second book in the Amish series by this author and I find him a really good writer. I also like how he looks at Amish life in Ohio with respect and factual information rather than just making it up. He portrays their life with sensitivity. If you like reading fiction based around the Amish, I recommend this series. Most of the Amish fiction I’ve seen revolves around a love story or takes place ...more
Gay Ann

Sarah rushes in her Amish buggy to a deserted barn where her teen gang meets, to find the gang leader missing and she suspects trouble. Has her friend been kidnapped or been caught by drug dealers? This fast-paced mystery takes sudden twists and turns, as facts on Amish culture intertwine with unexpected events. Readers meet realistic Amish teens and non-Amish characters, who attempt to help unravel the disappearance. The teen issues that appear throughout the story are ones that both Amish and
Samuel
The plot was OK, the main characters are cardboard cutouts just like previous books. There are also plausibility issues in the relationship of the three main characters and the Old Order Amish. I keep hoping for real development in the characters because I like the concept.
Rick
Rumspringa is the Amish word for when their teenagers go to explore the "English" world of alcohol, cars, technology, sex, and parties. Will they come back and join the church? Or will they be lost to the world? This book is about Rumspringa gone bad, even tragic.
Eileen
This is a mystery set among the Amish community in Holmes County, Ohio. It's a quick read. The writing shows knowledge and insight into the Amish way of thinking, which adds some depth to the book.
Andy Plonka
not the best in the series, but it shows some of the modern day stresses that Amish teenagers face when they have to decide to remain Amish or to live in the "English" world.
Amy
The P L Gaus Ohio Amish Mystery series is published by Ohio Univesity (where I work) so I believe I've read all of them. Its fun to see place names you recognize.
Lynn Kearney
This account of adolescent rebellion among Amish youth seemed wildly exaggerated and improbable to me, though I assume the author would have checked his facts.
Kathryn Wicker
Just so interesting to read of the Amish in Ohio where I came from. Interesting and I like the twists to the mysteries themselves.
Susie Brazeau
Choices. We all make them every day. Some good...some not so good but each will affect the outcome of our life.
Sandy
Amish teen-agers mixed up in a drug ring in the Millersburg, Ohio area. Not a very good story.
John Hanscom
Maybe even a little more. This is the 5th in a series, and it is probably the best so far.
Lori
Really like this series.
Ann
Want to finish this series
PWRL
Sep 05, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
E
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Brenda Fruchtl
Brenda Fruchtl is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2015
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Connie
Connie marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Melisa
Melisa marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
  • A Hand to Hold (Hearts of Middlefield, #3)
  • Dark Road Home (Maplecreek, #1)
  • Rachel's Garden (Pleasant Valley, #2)
  • An Amish Family Reunion
  • Ella's Wish (Little Valley, #2)
  • Katie's Redemption (Brides of Amish Country, #1)
  • Healing Hearts: Healing Hearts / A Change of Heart / A Choice to Forgive
  • The Search (Lancaster County Secrets, #3)
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • Beginnings (Amish Knitting Circle, #1)
  • The Bridge of Peace (Ada's House, #2)
  • A Simple Winter (Seasons of Lancaster #1)
  • The Mercy (Rose Trilogy, #3)
  • A Rose Revealed (Amish Farm Trilogy, #3)
Paul L. Gaus writes The Amish-Country Mysteries, set authentically in the Amish settlements of Holmes County, Ohio. Three life-long friends - Professor Michael Branden, Sheriff Bruce Robertson, and Pastor Caleb Troyer - work sometimes together and other times at crossed purposes to solve mysteries involving the often inscrutable Amish sects of the region. The rich cast of English characters includ ...more
More about P.L. Gaus...

Amish-Country Mysteries (9 books)
  • Blood of the Prodigal (Ohio Amish Mystery, #1)
  • Broken English (Ohio Amish Mystery, #2)
  • Clouds Without Rain (Ohio Amish Mystery, #3)
  • Cast A Blue Shadow (Ohio Amish Mystery, #4)
  • Separate from the World (Ohio Amish Mystery, #6)
  • Harmless as Doves: An Amish-Country Mystery
  • The Names of Our Tears: An Amish-Country Mystery
  • Whiskers of the Lion: An Amish-Country Mystery
Blood of the Prodigal (Ohio Amish Mystery, #1) Broken English (Ohio Amish Mystery, #2) Clouds Without Rain (Ohio Amish Mystery, #3) Cast A Blue Shadow (Ohio Amish Mystery, #4) Separate from the World (Ohio Amish Mystery, #6)