Lucy Rose: Here's the Thing About Me

Lucy Rose: Here's the Thing About Me (Lucy Rose)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  28 reviews
I’m Lucy Rose and here’s the thing about me: I am eight and according to my grandfather I have the kind of life that is called eventful, which means NOT boring. According to my mom and my grandmother I’m what they call a handful. And according to my dad I am one smart cookie.

I say I am one girl who is feeling not-so-sure about things on account of my parents got a separati
Audio
Published September 14th 2004 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published 2004)

Tess
I got this book as a present and laughed all the way. It is a hilarious book about an 8-year-old who moves from Michigan to Washington, D.C. She has to start over at a new school and make new friends. I think this would make a great movie!
Andrea
The Little Bookworm
This was precious little book. I can't say that I read anymore of the series since it is definitely an elementary level book. My 4 year old seemed to like it alright. Lucy Rose is a cute character and I liked her advice column grandmother and her grandfather. They were a nice addition to the story especially with Lucy Rose "anonymously" asking her grandmother advice on things. It was cute and I'd say that elementary school readers would enjoy them.
Ellie
Dec 24, 2007 Ellie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: eight and nine year olds
I love this book because this little girl has so many adventures. For instance lucy Rose wanted to keep her class pet over the holidays. Lucy Rose got the class pet and she lost him. She got help from her to friends... And she got help from melonhead the kid that is so annoying. Together they find the class pet in a little maze under the floor boards. Melonhead was the one who went down under the floor boards on a metal lifter and found the class pet. If you like fun little girls who have adven...more
Ashley
Lucy Rose is a very exiciting girl with a very exciting life . She collcts palindromes and new vocabulary words. When you read this book there will be very exciting new words you will learn and really cool palindromes
Donna
I LOVE Lucy Rose! It makes me sad that almost nobody I know knows about her. There are 3 more Lucy Rose books and I loved them all. She reminds me a little of Ramona Quimby.
Kristie
Story written in diary format by a spunky 8-yr-old girl. Reminds me of Judy Moody and Ramona.
Brett
Lucy Rose is just great - possibly my favorite character/series of the realistic elementary-grade girl genre. In her first outing, we meet Lucy Rose just getting settled in to her new home in Washington, D.C., where she & her mother have moved following her parents' separation, to be near her maternal grandparents. Lucy Rose feels ambivalent at best about this new change in her life - especially having to start third grade at a new school & make new friends. Luckily, that doesn't take lo...more
Tami
Lucy Rose is a third-grader attending school in Washington D.C., where she lives with her mom, newly separated from her dad. Lucy Rose narrates the story in a simple, genuine voice. Like any 9-year-old, Lucy Rose is apprehensive about a new school, sad about moving away from her father, irritated by a boy at school, and full of love for her mother, father and grandparents.

Readers see plenty of evidence to back up Lucy Rose’s claim that she is an “original thinker.” Lucy Rose and readers alike ro...more
Anne Hawn Smith
Mar 07, 2011 Anne Hawn Smith rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Junie B. Jones
Lucy Rose could be Junie B. Jones in 3rd grade. She has the same kind of spunk and good intentions that tend to go awry. She is an "individual" and things are rarely boring around her.

Her parents are separated and she has left Michigan for Washington, DC where she lives very close to her grandparents. While she enjoys her grandparents, and they seem to be of the very best sort for an independent little girl, she doesn't look forward to a new school, especially when the one student she meets is a...more
Livia
Lucy Rose is adjusting to her new life as the daughter of separated parents. She now lives with her mother in Washington DC, down the street from her grandparents. In addition to dealing with a new school and the third grade, she also as yet has no friends. Badly missing her father and her friends in Ann Arbor, Michigan she is willing to give the whole arrangement a try but,she hits more than a few snags on the way to succeeding. This is a fun story for third graders.
B
The first in a series of books about 8 year old Lucy Rose who moves to DC, (Capitol Hill area), when her parents divorce. She's spunky and funny like Junie B Jones but on a slightly higher reading level.
Charlotte Osborn-bensaada
Very cute series set in Washington,DC. Author is from DC and hits all the sites and sounds quite well, though with a certain nostalgia for a Washington that is no longer.
Caroline
What a fun discovery of a new series! Lucy Rose and her family are a lively bunch of characters. The vocab and storytelling are terrific and it is all set on Capital Hill.
babyhippoface
Not as squirrelly as Junie B. Jones, but a funny, spunky kid!
Angie
Lucy Rose reminds me of a far less annoying Junie B. Jones.
Dolly
This is the first book in the Lucy Rose series by Katy Kelly. The narrative is entertaining and is appropriate for children in elementary school.

It's another series featuring a spunky young female character, similar to Clementine, Judy Moody, Junie B. Jones, Ramona, and others. I think it would be especially helpful for children with parents who have separated or divorced.

Our girls enjoyed reading about a character who lives in our local area - we learned about a couple of interesting places t...more
Cheryl Gatling
My ten-year-old daughter brought this home, and we read it together. She declared the part with the lost guinea pig "exciting" and the book as a whole "unpredictable." Maybe that's true. I didn't see her episode of public vomiting coming. But I did predict, as did her teacher Mr. Welch, that things would get better for her, in a new school in a new town, that she would make friends and settle down. This book reminded me of an older Junie B. Jones, because of her idiosyncratic way of speaking, an...more
Jackie
Lucy Rose just moved to Washington, D.C. from Ann Arbor Michigan since her parent's separation. Mom and Lucy Rose live near Madam and Pop, her grandparents, who are calm and cool, especially when Lucy Rose gets herself into tons of scrapes. Losing the class hamster, Jake in the floorboards, getting her best enemy friend Melonhead stuck in the dumb waiter, and eating black licorice before school are just some of the wacky things this 3rd grader does.

Lots of humor in this book, but nothing we hav...more
William
Very plausible, relate-able story of a young school girl and her relationships with her friends, parents, grandparents, teacher, enemies, and a guinea pig.
Rachael
This girl reminded me a lot of Junie B. Jones in the way she talks, but she's older, 3rd grade, and not so exaggerated and silly. So it's not LOL funny like Junie B., but it is entertaining and fun reading with nice little lessons learned. Maya listened to part of the tape with me when she was home sick and she enjoyed it. Just noticed there are several more Lucy Rose books so it's a series.
Dana
I hated this book because all the person did was say stuff about herself and go to school and come back home again. Nothing was interesting so I only read 3/4 of the book.
Susan G
She's a lot like Junie B Jones...not as mischievous but not as funny either. My girls and I enjoyed listening (they are 8 and 11), but we probably won't get another one.
Deborah
kids loved it! Great DC book...especially for Capitol Hill students!
Meredith
RIYL Ramona, Clementine, and Grace.
Melonhead Lucy Rose: Big on Plans Lucy Rose: Busy Like You Can't Believe Melonhead and the Big Stink Lucy Rose: Working Myself to Pieces and Bits