Start by marking “Doctor Who: Red Dawn” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Red Dawn

Doctor Who: Red Dawn (Big Finish Doctor Who Audio Dramas #8)

Ares One: NASA's first manned mission to the dead planet Mars. But is Mars as dead as it seems?

While the NASA team investigate an 'anomaly' on the planet's surface, the Doctor and Peri find themselves inside a strange alien building. What is its purpose? And what is frozen inside the blocks of ice that guard the doorways? If the Doctor has a sense of deja-vu, it's because
Audio CD
Published May 2000 by Big Finish Productions

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
...and this was going so well!

This drama started well with Fivey and Peri stumbling around on a strange planet and finding a weird tomb. But it's Mars! How are they breathing on Mars? Once we're introduced to the main players - a NASA mission funded and partly staffed by a private corporation, and the Ice Warriors, another classic monster, things grind to a snail's pace. Never have I heard a less exciting series of space collisions and emergencies. The monster's voices are just awful, breathy wh
Taksya
Quinto Dottore, Peri, Marte e gli Ice Warriors.
Soliti esploratori terrestri, guidati dal solito capo con la sua agenda segreta da seguire.
Senza infamia e senza lode, merita per la presenza di alieni che non si vedono/sentono spesso.
Aidan
Sep 22, 2016 Aidan rated it did not like it
Though Red Dawn sees the return of a favorite alien race, the Ice Warriors, and gets off to an intriguing start in its first episode I found myself disappointed with the bland story that follows. A basic plot breakdown: the Doctor and Nyssa unknowingly have arrived on Mars and are exploring an enormous structure on the planet's surface. Meanwhile a NASA expedition, funded by a billionaire, is also landing on the planet. The Ice Warriors left guarding the structure wake and a tense situation ...more
Joe Morrison
Sep 19, 2012 Joe Morrison rated it did not like it
Red Yawn
1974. The Monster of Peladon. The last time the Ice Warriors appeared.

2000. Red Dawn. The return of the Ice Warriors.

The Doctor and Peri arrive on the planet Mars, in the tomb of the great Lord Izdaal. A Mars exploration force from Earth is also here, to conduct a survey of an artefact on the planet. And thus sets the seen for a dull, slow story in which nothing happens. Justin’s story pace…well to be brutally honest, there isn’t one. It’s slower than a snail race, and duller than watc
Kelly McCubbin
Jul 20, 2015 Kelly McCubbin rated it it was ok
Whoo-boy. There is simply no good reason that this should be as bad as it is. You have solid performances from Fifth Doctor Peter Davison and Peri (Nicola Bryant, who finally seems to be nailing that American accent after a quarter century) and a classic bad guy with depth written into them conceptually. (See, from TV, The Ice Warriors, The Seeds of Death and The Curse of Peladon.) How could that NOT work?
Nary a twist to rear it's pretty little head, this is such a by the numbers "evil corporati
Xavier Granville
Mar 11, 2015 Xavier Granville rated it really liked it
When it comes to Ice Warriors, I appreciate a slow burn.

I wasn't sure I liked this episode until the second disc. The layering of plot and character has all the detail and strength of a Martian battle suit.

I personally really like the companion Peri, and, loving the 5th Doctor, am happy that there are more adventures with the two combined thanks to Big Finish.

It begins with a 'Mission to Mars', a group of humans landing on Mars, coincidentally at the same time the 5th Doctor and Peri have landed
Matt
Apr 24, 2011 Matt rated it liked it
The Doctor and Peri find themselves on Mars, where a NASA expedition is investigating an anomaly on the planet's surface. It quickly becomes apparent that the Ice Warriors are involved, but the Doctor has known the Ice Warriors to be both friend and foe. The big problem is always figuring whose side they are on. Davison is solid, Nicola Bryant is not all that annoying as Peri for a change, and Davison's daughter Georga Moffett turns in a very good performance in a supporting role. Not a stand ...more
Meredith
Another classic Doctor Who adventure where some humans are acting with ulterior and selfish motives and others are being ethical - and other species don't know what to make of it.

There were a couple of annoying elements, including a character who knew intuitively how use alien tech she'd never seen because of her genetics. Not because the tech was queue to specific DNA, but because of what? Cultural memory? It was foolish.
Nicholas Whyte
The Fifth Doctor and Peri (unusual choice - obviously only one gap in the established narrative where this can take place) land in what turns out to be an Ice Warrior mausoleum on Mars, at the same time as an Earth probe comes to explore. Needless to say, disaster ensues, but the real monsters turn out to be the humans behind the earth exploration ship. Earnestly done by everyone, with particularly good audio evocation of the Ice Warriors and the Martian landscape. Good but not great.
Angela
Apr 29, 2014 Angela rated it liked it
The Doctor and Peri land on Mars at the time of the first human expedition. They find Ice Warriors. My main gripe about this story is that at no point do the humans question why the Doctor is there, considering they are supposed to be the first men on Mars you would have thought the subject would have come up. Other than that I liked the way the Ice Warriors were portrayed as an honourable race, and humans the sneaky ones. A good listen.
Noah Soudrette
May 01, 2010 Noah Soudrette rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who, audio
Overall, I like this story, but then I'm a huge Ice Warrior mark. My love of those Martians aside, the story is very, very simplistic. Nothing really too terrible here, though the concept of being part Martian letting you know how to work all their technology is ridiculous. Also, the music sucked. Still, if your a fan of Ice Warriors, you'll enjoy it.
Steven
Jun 08, 2015 Steven rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who, plays, british
During NASA's first manned mission to Mars, the Fifth Doctor and Peri encounter one of the Doctor's old adversaries — the Ice Warriors.
This episode addresses issue of scientific and industrial ethics.
Charlotte
Feb 03, 2013 Charlotte rated it did not like it
Shelves: audio, doctor-who
I didn't add a review on my first read because I really didn't think much of it. But I accidentally listened to it again the other day, found it quite shabby, went to add it to my list here and discovered I'd already rated it before. So that's how little this story sticks with you.
Aug 29, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: tossed, kept, audio
Fifth Doctor and Peri land on Mars at about the same time the first manned expedition does. Guess what they find!!! Turns out Ice Warriors do have a sense of honor and are not always the baddies they are "supposed" to be. I enjoyed this, despite Peri's whining through her lines.
Kaesa
Fun! But not amazing or anything. I liked one of the one-story characters in particular and I'd kind of like to know what becomes of her after the events of the audio drama...
Steven Shinder
Feb 02, 2016 Steven Shinder rated it liked it
I feel that the title could have been more original. As for the audio landscape, I liked the whispers of the Ice Warriors and the dialogue from astronaut suits, but the story leaves me wanting more.
Pottering
Pottering rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2013
Dan
Dan rated it it was ok
Sep 08, 2014
Ciara
Ciara rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2013
David Wardrop
David Wardrop rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
Thomas
Thomas rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2012
Ollie Hawkins
Ollie Hawkins rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Robin Stuart
Robin Stuart rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2013
Tatiana
Tatiana rated it it was ok
Apr 13, 2013
Just Bill
Just Bill rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2013
Tony Kornkven
Tony Kornkven rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Eric Larsen
Eric Larsen rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Stuart
Stuart rated it really liked it
May 18, 2016
Jack Bowden
Jack Bowden rated it it was ok
Jan 25, 2015
Kenneth Turner
Kenneth Turner rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2016
  • Doctor Who: The Marian Conspiracy
  • Doctor Who: Winter for the Adept
  • Doctor Who: The Church and the Crown
  • Doctor Who: Master
  • Doctor Who: Bang-Bang-a-Boom!
  • Doctor Who: The Stones of Venice
  • Doctor Who: The Twilight Kingdom
  • Doctor Who: ...ish
  • Doctor Who: Davros
  • Doctor Who: Spare Parts
  • Doctor Who: The Natural History of Fear
Justin Richards is a British writer. He has written many spin off novels based on the BBC science fiction television series Doctor Who, and he is Creative Director for the BBC Books range. He has also written for television, contributing to Five's soap opera Family Affairs. He is also the author of a series of crime novels for children about the Invisible Detective, and novels for older children. ...more
More about Justin Richards...

Big Finish Doctor Who Audio Dramas (1 - 10 of 217 books)
  • Doctor Who: The Sirens of Time