Start by marking “Probabilità, numeri e code: La matematica nascosta nella vita quotidiana” as Want to Read:
Probabilità, numeri e code: La matematica nascosta nella vita quotidiana

Probabilità, numeri e code: La matematica nascosta nella vita quotidiana

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  252 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Perché è meglio giocare al lotto il venerdì? Perché la doccia è sempre troppo calda o troppo fredda? Perché gli autobus arrivano sempre tre per volta? Quale prezioso rompicapo è andato distrutto nel corso dei bombardamenti alleati? Dove si nascondono i quadrifogli? Volete conoscere la formula matematica per correre sotto la pioggia senza bagnarvi? Le risposte a queste e a ...more
Published 2003 by Edizioni Dedalo (first published March 29th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Probabilità, numeri e code, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Probabilità, numeri e code

Blair
Those of us on the math side of the great cultural divide tend to be less enthusiastic about the power of intuition. One of the primary aims of this fun little book is to show how intuition often misleads us in questions that should be dealt with mathematically. A simple example is the probability that two people in a group of 23 will have the same birthday. It is not 23/365, the chances are actually 50%.

Try this: You are brought a glass half full of whiskey and another full of water. You pour s
Hilary
May 24, 2014 Hilary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maths isn't one of my strong points, but I recognize its interesting qualities. This little book promises something for everyone, no matter what their level of understanding, and provides it with an assortment of interesting facts, stories, historical info and general trivia by using familiar topics like birthday coincidences, planning a delivery route, traffic jams, rugby and the football pools.

Whether it's showing how maths can predict and explain the number of petals, buds or leaves on a flow
Athan Tolis
A good friend's son, age 10, has been assigned this book (alongside another title by the same author) in school, presumably in addition to the normal math he gets given to study. My friend is very smart, she studied at Cambridge, but her math is no longer what it was twenty years ago, so on the strength of the fact that I still (very occasionally) find myself pushing symbols for a living I was drafted in to have a look. I ordered the books and reported back that I was about to start reading.

"Wha
Marjolein
May 06, 2014 Marjolein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-english, arc
READ IN ENGLISH

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I received a free copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review, thank you!

Come to think about it; Why do buses come in threes? Except, they don't. Buses usually come in twos. Read this book and you might just find out why this makes you won't have to wait as long for your next bus...

This book features some interesting question, like how to cut a cake in 8 with only three cuts, and exactly how rare
Sudar Muthu
Jun 23, 2016 Sudar Muthu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The major thing that I learned from this book is that some times common sense (or intuition) may not be correct. It is either your brain trying to do an approximation (and failing miserably) or some clever marketer who is using statistics to lie to you
Azamali
Sep 23, 2015 Azamali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Table of Contents

1 Why can’t I find a four-leafed clover?
Links between nature and mathematics

2 Which way should I go?
From postmen to taxi drivers

3 How many people watch Coronation Street?
Most public statistics come from surveys, but how reliable are they?

4 Why do clever people get things wrong?
Sometimes experience and intelligence can be a disadvantage

5 What’s the best bet?
Lotteries, horses and casinos all offer the chance of a big prize

6 How do you explain a coincidence?
Coincidences aren’t as s
Sahar Sabati
Sep 20, 2014 Sahar Sabati rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If someone in your family or in your close circle of friends has a young child, you are no doubt intimately aware of how young ones see the world as a fascinating place filled with wondrous secrets that are within their grasp if they explore long and hard enough. We all used to be like that. But as we grow older and the various responsibilities of life settle in, we tend to lose this perspective. Many of my friends strive to maintain this it, and make good use of the tools they have available to ...more
Maurizio Codogno
Primo libro di una serie piuttosto fortunata (in Italia sono stati tradotti dalle edizioni Dedalo, questo in particolare col titolo Probabilità, numeri e code, vedi http://www.ibs.it/code/9788822062635/... ) questo testo vuole raccontare, come dice il suo sottotitolo, la matematica nascosta nella vita di tutti i giorni. I primi capitoli del libro sono un po' deboli, ma poi gli autori ingranano e il risultato è davvero piacevole, sia per lo stile di scrittura con il famoso humour britannico che p ...more
Kari
You have probably seen some of those math problems on Facebook where people are outraged at how their children are being taught through Common Core. Besides being totally out of context, those people are missing the fact that the problems are focusing on number sense, understanding how numbers work and how they fit together. This book is basically about number sense and how it applies in the real world, covering things like cooking and traffic and botany. It reminded me of The I Hate Mathematics ...more
ReviewingOnline
Dec 02, 2014 ReviewingOnline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love reading and can often be found with my head in a book, although I tend to stick to fiction books, therefore I was worried I would find a non-fiction maths book uninteresting. However, this book completely changed my opinion...

Read more of my review at:

Paul
Feb 23, 2015 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
Interesting read. Got lost with some of the Maths. Nevertheless, It's interesting to see how Maths is applied in every day life, although I feel that some of the examples in the book are more observations. Having said that, wonder if more daily examples could be used and see how Maths could be applied.
A
Mar 06, 2015 A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative exploration of things you might not have known, that do impact you. Entertaining. Hard to follow at times, but mostly clear.
Georgie
Mar 11, 2014 Georgie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read it so that I'd have something to write about for my uni personal statement and wound up finding it very interesting :)
Schrodingersduck
Was what opened up my interest in maths all those years ago.
Björn
May 07, 2015 Björn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More basic maths than I had expected, but still a fun read.
Richard
Apr 19, 2009 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in mathematics and of a scientific mind
Shelves: non-fiction
I've recently picked up and re-read this book as a nice little way to switch off before bed time.

The premise is the analyse how mathematics can be used to give insight in to common experiences such as the bunching of buses (apparently it is extremely unusual for three buses to bunch together, and requires a very long route and lots of passengers).

Covering a range of topics from probabilities to why clever people get things wrong, this is a great introduction to the subject with only a smatterin
Jun 06, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, maths
Great little book introducing and explaining fascinating maths concepts and theories. Entertaining and accessible to anyone. My only complaint is a couple of places where the maths is brushed over or ignored on the way to an equation or result. Perhaps if the writers were afraid mathematical derivations would make the book less easy to read these could have be included in an appendix for those of us interested in how to get to the result? But overall a brilliant read.
Martin
Crazily fun and exhilarating, solves a whole bunch of every day problems and clarifies matters that have bugged me my whole life. I now understand traffic, why two people in a room of 30 will share a birthday, why the London Underground design is ingenious, how pi and e and phi can be applied constantly, and of course, why it's efficient to start the shower before disrobing instead of vice-versa. Life-changing eye-opener to say the least.
Shallowreader VaVeros
This book is on maths in nature and the built environment. I really enjoyed the 3 chapters I got to read but I had to return it before I completed it. I will definitely be borrowing it to finish it. Great read!
Misha Shklyar
Apr 14, 2013 Misha Shklyar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For mathematically curious, yet not necessarily sophisticated. My favorite chapter is about buses and bunching - indeed, why do buses always come in clusters?

... but, again, I'm a math PhD
Jay Curtin
Apr 23, 2014 Jay Curtin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this was set in a patronising tone that made it boring & oversimplified
also I couldn't figure out the target audience, but I knew most of the problems that came up
Rajini Kumar
A very good read if you want to relate mathematics to every day events. Interesting and mind blowing at times.
Laura Brownlee
My math loving 8 year old is enjoying this book. I'll read it also. WE both enjoyed this book.
Mostafa
Oct 04, 2011 Mostafa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining read for people who fear math or have been away from it for a long time.
James
Mar 08, 2009 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice book for math beginners. I'm recommending it to Cameron.
Wilton314
Apr 06, 2013 Wilton314 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2004
I liked it. It explains things in easy to understand terms.
Kunal Gupta
puzzle books with statistics
Curtis Wood
Sep 21, 2012 Curtis Wood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genuinely-interesting book.
  • How To Fossilise Your Hamster: And Other Amazing Experiments For The Armchair Scientist
  • Guesstimation: Solving the World's Problems on the Back of a Cocktail Napkin
  • Trigonometric Delights
  • Food is Culture (Arts and Traditions of the Table: Perspectives on Culinary History)
  • Professor Stewart's Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities
  • How to Dunk a Doughnut: The Science Of Everyday Life
  • 50 Mathematical Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • 1089 and All That: A Journey into Mathematics
  • Entertaining Mathematical Puzzles
  • Poetry of the Universe
  • The Universe and the Teacup: The Mathematics of Truth and Beauty
  • Urgent 2nd Class: Creating Curious Collage, Dubious Documents, and Other Art from Ephemera
  • Coincidences, Chaos, and All That Math Jazz: Making Light of Weighty Ideas
  • One to Nine: The Inner Life of Numbers
  • Open Innovation: The New Imperative for Creating And Profiting from Technology
  • Once Upon A Number: The Hidden Mathematical Logic Of Stories
  • The Great Arc: The Dramatic Tale of How India Was Mapped and Everest Was Named
  • The Fourth Dimension: A Guided Tour of the Higher Universes

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Robert Eastaway is an author who is active in the popularisation of mathematics. He is a former pupil of The King's School, Chester, England and has a degree in Engineering and Management Science from the University of Cambridge. He was President of the UK Mathematical Association for 2007/2008. Eastaway is a keen cricket player and was one of the originators of the International Rankings of Crick ...more
More about Robert Eastaway...