Start by marking “A World of Difference” as Want to Read:
A World of Difference

A World of Difference

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  8 reviews
When the Viking lander on the planet Minerva was destroyed, sending back one last photo of a strange alien being, scientists on Earth were flabbergasted. And so a joint investigation was launched by the United States and the Soviet Union, the first long-distance manned space mission, and a symbol of the new peace between the two great rivals.

Humankind's first close encount
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published August 30th 2005 by Del Rey (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about A World of Difference, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A World of Difference

Slela
Il libro ambientato in un presente alternativo, in cui il pianeta pi vicino alla Terra si chiama Minerva. Un giorno la sonda Viking, prima di spegnersi definitivamente, fotografa uno strano essere con in mano uno strano bastone, probabilmente un'arma. Partono due spedizioni, una americana e una russa. Sulla Terra la guerra fredda non ancora terminata e la rivalit altissima. Le due spedizioni atterrano nei due versanti di un'enorme gola, e si ritrovano in mezzo a una guerra tra due fazioni del ...more
Sam
I am very torn on this book -- I'm generally not a huge fan of sci-fi related to outer space and aliens (I accept it when it's there), but on the other hand I found myself really intrigued by the political conflict at work within the novel. It's interesting to see the ways in which Turtledove weaves history into an alien story that as time goes on, becomes less about aliens and more about personal beliefs amongst the protagonists. The book definitely had it's pacing problems at times. For me, I ...more
Scott Gardner
very good stand alone novel from Harry , really good how the 2 superpowers dealt with the war
Bruce
This is rather a surprising book in that it reads like a juvenile - in the sense that Starship Troopers is a juvenile - but cannot be with the sexual content. It suffers from a bit too much simplicity of social dynamics but is a good yarn well spun.
Audrey
I thought this was going to be WAY more cheesey than it actually was. I like that Turtledove takes a subject that seems pretty cliche (squasy aliens on Mars, for example...) and gives it a serious plot and credible characters.

So fun.
Wesley
Russian and American spacecraft land in two different parts of the planet Minerva, and find themselves at odds when the natives of their respective regions go to war with each other.
J.R. Walker
Loved it. Great piece of science fiction. Will definitely look into more of Turtledove's work.
Clay Davis
A good story about the fight for hearts and minds on Mars.
Glenn
Glenn marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Mr_Drone
Mr_Drone marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Benjamin Brown
Benjamin Brown marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Arees
Arees marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Clay
Clay added it
Jul 18, 2015
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Kevin Ess
Kevin Ess marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Sonny Lee
Sonny Lee marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
  • The Sky People (Lords of Creation, #1)
  • Voyage (NASA Trilogy, #1)
  • The Book of Kane
  • Sleipnir
  • Two Sides of the Moon: Our Story of the Cold War Space Race
  • The Trouble Twisters
  • Fox on the Rhine
  • Bermuda Triangle (Atlantis, #2)
  • Life Form
  • Storming Intrepid
  • The Disease to Please: Curing the People-Pleasing Syndrome
  • Ghost War
  • Wind from a Foreign Sky (Tielmaran Chronicles, #1)
  • Nemesis
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce
More about Harry Turtledove...
The Guns of the South In the Balance (Worldwar, #1) How Few Remain (Timeline-191, #1) Tilting the Balance (Worldwar, #2) Striking the Balance (Worldwar, #4)