Start by marking “A Biblical Walk Through the Mass: Understanding What We Say and Do In The Liturgy” as Want to Read:

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  319 ratings  ·  36 reviews
As Catholics, the Mass is the center of our Faith. We celebrate it every day. We know all the responses. We know all the gestures. But do we know what it all means? In A Biblical Walk Through the Mass, Dr. Edward Sri takes us on a unique tour of the Liturgy. Based on the revised translation of the Mass which goes into effect Advent, 2011, this book explores the biblical ro ...more
Published January 3rd 2011 by Ascension Press (first published January 3rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Biblical Walk Through the Mass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Biblical Walk Through the Mass

Ann Busbey
As a cradle Catholic who attended Catholic school you wouldn't think I'd find this book worthwhile. But you'd be wrong. Edward Sri brings you step by step through the Mass and explains the biblical basis for all the parts of the Mass. He also explains the recent change in language and how it more closely represents the original Latin. No one likes change and I have struggled a bit with the new verbiage but this book gave me a greater appreciation for the changes.

We get so accustom to the routine
Jeff Miller
A Biblical Walk Through the Mass: Understanding What We Say and Do In The Liturgy is a new book by Edward Sri that does dual duty as both an overview of the Mass and a introduction to new English translation of the Mass.

There are a lot of books on the Mass and most of them concentrate of the Liturgy of the Eucharist or focus on the mass via some lens. This book is more general in that it goes through each part of the Mass and gives a solid overview and touching on theology in a way that will ope
Julie Davis
Lead us not into temptation: This petition is not so much a prayer to avoid all trials and temptations in life. The biblical words express a request that God not allow us to enter into temptation in the sense of giving in to it. It is a prayer that God would strengthen us to overcome the temptations we face. Pope Benedict XVI taught that in this petition, it is as if we are saying to God, "I know that I need trials so that my nature can be purified. When you decide to send me those trials ... th
I thought I'd have to endure this book, and I started it because I'm fascinated with the upcoming changes in the Roman missal. Having heard the author interviewed, I had hopes, but nothing prepared me for the passion and beauty of this book. Sri writes with a tenderness about the Mass and reminded me of what I so love about the Eucharist. Behind the facts contained in this book is the deep water of true love for Jesus. Highly recommended.
Amanda
A wonderful book that breaks down the meaning of every prayer and gesture in the holy mass and offers insight into the mysteries of faith. The book also highlights the similarities in the Old and New Testament, namely stating (according to St. Augustine) how "God brought it about that the New should be hidden in the Old and that the Old should be manifest in the New. For, although Christ founded the New Covenant in his blood...still the books of the Old Testament, all of them caught up into the ...more
Melissa Henderson
I knew quite a bit of how Mass and the Book of Revelation go hand-in-hand... However I love the deeper meanings and reflections that Edward Sri brings to make every Sunday an even more impactful experience. This book is a gem for Catholics who don't understand or appreciate what Mass is all about.
Steven Dzwonczyk
This was the text book for a class I recently took at my Church. It was very informative and certainly helps you to look at the Mass with fresh eyes. I read it on the eve of the upcoming changes to the Mass, which are intended to return to a more close interpretation of the Latin Mass.

Edward Sri is a learned and insightful author, though I must say that, having viewed the companion DVD, he is a more dynamic speaker than writer. Still, his style is captivating and serves to educate in a way that
Susan
This book and the accompanying workbook and DVDs are the materials for a six-week study of the new translation (from Latin into English) of the Roman Missal that my parish is doing to get us ready for its implementation on November 27, 2011. We have learned so much not only about the new translations of the prayers, but also about the Biblical roots of so many parts of the Mass that we see and do Sunday after Sunday, but maybe didn't always know why. All of the materials are interesting, informa ...more
Zabrina
So far it is a clear, easy read. I haven't had any big AHA! moments, but I'm not a beginner in my faith studies. Some things are presented in a little different perspective that I've discovered yet. I really like having reference sources of the Mass laid out so they will be quick to find again if I forget something. It is a great book to read if you haven't thought about your faith as an adult and it is a great book to have on the shelf next to the Bible and Catechism for quick reference.

Big plu
Ryan Williams
Truly an incredible and insightful look into why and what we do at mass. Mr. Sri is very articulate yet concise in his explanations, and it was a true pleasure to use his book as a stepping stone into a scriptural study. Although I have only been Catholic for a little over a year now, Mr. Sri really helped me to "see" what was going on with a new set of eyes. I highly recommend this book to anyone seeking a deeper understanding of the mass, or those who would like to see more of a biblical/scrip ...more
James
I am starting this book on January 8, 2011, as preparation for implementing the new translation of the Mass starting this coming Advent. I hope to use the insights in this book to help clearly explain the changes that are coming to my parishioners. I also hope to include a section of my podcast "Catholic Creativity" to these explanations.

Excellent review of the Mass, incorporating the new translations. Wonderful insights! Highly recommended!!!
Abby
Aug 29, 2013 Abby added it
Though obviously directed at Catholics (I'm not), this is probably the book I've been after since I attended my first mass. Dr. Sri has written a short, direct and heartfelt explanation that highlights the debt owed to the traditions and theology of biblical (Iron Age and first century) Judaism. He also wields the extra-biblical writings of early Christians with good effect. Thank goodness for introductions as solid and sincere as this one.
Grace
This book is especially helpful to Catholics who want to understand the Mass from a biblical perspective. It's most profitable to read it while participating in the group study series built around the text. I recently led a group through the series, and everyone from first-time to highly experienced Bible study participants learned a lot and deepened their appreciation for the liturgy.
Amy
Excellent! I like the fast pace of this book - a very no-nonsense, no extra stuff, approach. Every Catholic needs a boost like this occasionally, to remind us of the profundity of our faith, and the awesomeness of the Mass. I highly recommend this for anyone who wants a basic skin-and-bones outline of what the Mass really means.

Oh, and it's a quick read too! Only 148 pages!
Carla Hahn
Spiritual insights of great depth that make Mass richer and far more meaningful. However, it's dry compared to hearing the energetic Dr Sri speak.
Nick
Great book that walks the reader through what each stage of Mass is really about and the origins of those stages. After reading this book, I view Mass in a completely different light and have found a new appreciation and reverence for Mass. I would recommend this book to any Catholic, no matter how long they have been a practitioner of this faith; new and old.
booklady
Finished this back in September when I was preparing for our parish education program for the implementation New Roman Missal. Enjoyed it very much. Have actually read some parts of it several times and consider it a valuable resource. Dr. Sri knows Sacred Scripture and taught me a lot. The DVD series which goes along with it is also excellent.
Elizabeth Lane
This book breaks down each part/prayer/response of the Mass by the phrase and gives Biblical examples for why we do or say each thing. Great for anyone who is interested in learning more about the Biblical foundations of the Mass either for personal growth or for those times when Protestant friends want to know why Catholics do things.
Thadeus
This was definitely a quick read. At the same time, holds a lot of information and does a great job of providing biblical context to each part of the mass. I would suggest it for any cradle Catholic that has not spent much time in adult formation, or any non-Catholic wanting to learn more about Catholic worship.

Recommended.
R
Though informative...I really think it would have been better to simply read the books this author quotes all the time. I requested Liturgy of the Mass by Pius Parsch as was quoted and that seemed very good, regardless of year of publication! I could not finish so I am looking to buy my own copy at some point.
Mary Rubega
I've been going to church all my life, but I never appreciated it the way I do now after reading this book. Sri details the four parts of the mass and explains what is going on at each section and why. If you want to experience and participate in the celebration of the mass, this is for you.
Donna
This book has changed my life. For the first time I know why we do everything we do at Mass--it all comes from the Bible. I also had the workbook and read all the Biblical citations and watched the DVD of Dr. Sri's presentation. Now I look forward to attending Mass.
Toni
Literally, a step by step walk through the Mass and the biblical basis for every prayer and action, from the Sign of the Cross to the final blessing. A must read for every Catholic, especially cradle-Catholics?

Michele
WOW!!! I am going to get so much more out of Mass now...this was SOOO interesting and with the Biblical references and explanations.....truly amazing.
Alice
Jan 25, 2012 Alice rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Alice by: Church of St. Anne
So enlightening.... I wish all my friends, family and parishioners would read this. It would dramatically change their experience of the Mass.
Sandy
Explaining the whys behind the Mass, both scripturally and traditionally,this book is informative and helpful.
Mary
Really gave me a better understanding of the upcoming changes in the mass. Will read it aloud with my family next.
Debbie Ogan
highly recommend for all Catholics. I learned so much even as a lifelong Catholic and 13 years of Catholic school.
Chad Torgerson
I learned a great deal from this book. It helped me to understand the Mass in ways I never had before.
What are the "take aways" from reading this book? 4 10 Aug 25, 2013 01:23PM
  • Prayer Primer: Igniting a Fire Within
  • Consoling the Heart of Jesus: A Do-It-Yourself Retreat- Inspired by the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
  • 33 Days to Morning Glory
  • 7 Secrets of the Eucharist
  • Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of the Faith
  • Jesus of Nazareth, Part Two: Holy Week: From the Entrance into Jerusalem to the Resurrection
  • The Four Signs of a Dynamic Catholic: How Engaging 1% of Catholics Could Change the World
  • G.K. Chesterton: The Apostle of Common Sense
  • Time for God: A Guide to Mental Prayer
  • Life of Christ
  • The Sacrament of the Present Moment
  • Surrender! The Life Changing Power of Doing God's Will
Dr. Edward Sri is a nationally-known speaker on Scripture and Catholicism and the author of several best-selling books. Besides teaching at the Augustine Institute, Sri is a visiting professor at Benedictine College and a contributor to the popular apologetics series, Catholic for a Reason. Sri is also a founding leader with Curtis Martin of FOCUS (Fellowship of Catholic University Students).

He al
More about Edward Sri...
Men, Women and the Mystery of Love: Practical Insights from John Paul II's Love and Responsibility Walking with Mary: A Biblical Journey from Nazareth to the Cross The New Rosary in Scripture: Biblical Insights for Praying the 20 Mysteries Mystery of the Kingdom The Bible Compass: A Catholic's Guide to Navigating the Scriptures