The Devil's Bargain

The Devil's Bargain

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Katherine Corbet abhors injustice -- and is happy to assist the disturbingly attractive Sir Alasdair St. Erth quash the brazen schemes of a marriage-minded opportunist. But appearing on the arm of the dark, dashing rogue at London balls as his interest will never be more than a sham -- no matter how Katherine's aching heart yearns for more.

This naive country miss is ideal!...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Bargain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Bargain

Cecy
I thought it an 'Eh' book. It was interesting during the beginning, but the hero's past was drawn out a bit too long and so I found myself skipping through most of the middle just to get to the ending.

There were some cute moments between H&h where he would make her blush for the benefit of their 'charade' but over all not a lot of romance. (view spoiler)...more
Joy
A man with a dark past and a revenge fantasy about to come true engages in a mostly-fake courtship with the heroine to assist in his revenge. Can he decide between revenge and his new love? Will he be able to protect his new (girl)friend from the dangers in his life? This was actually really good, which is surprising because I remember reading a Layton book years ago and not being impressed at all. Maybe she's hit-or-miss, or maybe my taste has changed.
penelopewanders
Quite good story although the revelation about the cause of the hero's need for revenge is drawn out a bit too much through the book - we know something unforgivable has happened, but don't know what until right at the end... Dialogue not quite as sparkling and book as a whole not as witty as some of Layton's other books, but enjoyable nonetheless.
Alex
Didn't quite enjoy this book; actually I didn't eveb finish....I thought Edith would do a story for Sybil, but she really was just a secondary character
June
very weak in romance side. does not feel the moment the two started falling in love or how they really felt about each other.
Terri
One of Edith Layton's better novels. I particularly liked the heroine in this story.
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Theresa Depiano
Theresa Depiano marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Sneezep
Sneezep marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Raj
Raj marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Grace
Grace added it
Feb 26, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Edith Layton wrote her first novel when she was ten. She bought a marbleized notebook and set out to write a story that would fit between its covers. Now, an award-winning author with more than thirty novels and numerous novellas to her credit, her criteria have changed. The story has to fit the reader as well as between the covers.

Graduating from Hunter College in New York City with a degree in c...more
More about Edith Layton...
The Duke's Wager (Bessacarr, #1) To Wed a Stranger (C Series, #6) The Cad (C Series, #1) A Bride for His Convenience The Chance (C Series, #3)