Start by marking “Strangers from the Sky” as Want to Read:
Strangers from the Sky

Strangers from the Sky (Star Trek: The Original Series)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  946 ratings  ·  42 reviews
In the twenty-first centruy humanity has united after countless years of warfare, and turns toward the stars. But when an alien spacecraft crashlands in the South Pacific bearing visitors from another world, the Vulcans, Earth must decide whether to extend the hand of friendship, or the fist of war. In the distant future, horrible dreams torment Admiral James T. Kirk, drea ...more
Published November 1st 1990 by Pocket Books (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Strangers from the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strangers from the Sky

Miriam
Longer and more complex than the standard ST novel, Strangers from the Sky is literally a novel within a novel; that is, Strangers from the Sky is also the title of a work of purported non-fiction concerning the first contact of Vulcan and Earth. The reading of this text triggers suppressed memories in Kirk and leads to the narration of a framed time-travel narrative. And then there are also the points of view of other individuals who lived in the earlier era which the imaginary non-fiction work ...more
Surreysmum
[These notes were made in 1987:]. One of the better Star Trek books I've read, this is an ambitious tome of over 400 pages. It covers three times in the ST universe: mid twenty-first century, just before first contact was made with the Vulcans; early in the career of Kirk and Spock, just before the edge of the universe episode; and in the fullness of their friendship, after V'ger. It consists literally in a double flashback -- Kirk and Spock, both troubled by dreams, discover that in the earlier ...more
rivka
Jul 17, 2008 rivka rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every ST fan
Shelves: startrek, favorites
An intriguing book-within-a-book interspersed with scenes from two different ST eras. The "frame" story is set after ST:TMP, and the flashbacks are set just shortly before "Where No Man Has Gone Before". The contrast between the Kirk, Spock, and others in the two eras is well-handled. So are all the original characters -- and there are quite a few, each unique and vibrant. There's even a brief appearance from our old friends from Dwellers in the Crucible.

One of my favorite ST novels, which I hav
Judith

This is an oldie but a goody. It was first published in 1987 and then reissued here as a special edition to celebrate Star Trek's 40th anniversary. This special edition has a new forward by Margaret Wander Bonanno where she clarifies a few time line issues for die hard ST fans. However, you don't need to be a fan to enjoy this book...it can stand alone as a good First Contact Science Fiction book.

Ms Bonanno is an excellent writer. Here, she demonstrates her unerring ability to capture the voice
Lauren Donoho
So here's the thing about Star Trek tie ins - most of them are precisely what they sound like, which is fairly entertaining Star Trek adventure stories with really uneven writing quality. And then there are Star Trek books like Strangers from the Sky, which is basically an interesting, original science fiction novel about first contact, with Spock, Kirk, and McCoy as bizarrely epic guest stars. And time-travel, which I unabashedly love as a plot device, so...

Basically, I read this book a lot of
Harrison
I liked Faces of Fire a bit more, but if only a few things were different, then Strangers from the sky would be the best Star Trek novel of all time. It felt like Carl Sagan's Contact meets that great Trek episode, "City on the Edge of Forever". It had a great story to tell, something that rivals the greatest of the Trek movies. My only complaint, and the reason Faces of Fire was better, was because Bonanno stretched out a great plot into something a little unrealistic. In addition, the introduc ...more
Timothy Stone
There are so many “what if” scenarios in history, that we often wonder what might have gone differently if some seemingly seminal event had transpired differently, or not at all. Of course, in real life, this is just conjecture on all of our parts. The idea of taking a fictional world, using a “what if” scenario and writing with (relatively) free reign, is gratifying in ways that such real-life “what if” questions can not be, for it allows us to answer this question.

This is part of why I, and s
Sydney
At first, I didn't know what to think do the book. I didn't like the format (switching from excerpts from the novel to reality) and the characters really weren't that engaging. However, when I was about 50-75 pages in, I started to appreciate the novel for what it was. I feel as though the author accurately portrays a variety of ways how humans would react at the first meeting of extraterrestrials. (Accurate, that is, as far as how closely the portrayals fit my own speculations. But that's besid ...more
The other John
This is one of those rare times when I pull a beloved book off my shelf and end up thinking less of the tome than I did on my previous readings. Strangers is a Star Trek novel, telling of a first contact between Vulcans and Humans. (This was written before the movie Star Trek: First Contact, so now we know that this story never really happened.)(Well, you know what I mean.) Like the movie, it wasn't enough to simply present the tale of this event. The author also had to include time travelling m ...more
Jonathan Harbour
This is IMO one of the top five of the Star Trek Pocket Books (the old numbered series). Margaret Bonanno was not credited for the premise of this story in the screenplay of the film, Star Trek: First Contact (TNG cast), wherein, as you know, two Vulcans land on Earth after noting the warp signature of Zephram Cochran's prototype ship. This story sends the Vulcans on an adventure of intrigue and danger on Earth, whereas the film simply presented them as guests for a few minutes at the end of the ...more
Bob Holt
Much better than Enterprise, in that the characters have adult points of view and reactions to other characters, even though much of it takes place in (roughly) the same era of Kirk's command.

The book is split into 2 parts: Book I and Book II. Book I felt like so much exposition and dead weight. Jumping straight into the action of the far more interesting Book II would have made for a tighter whole.
Robert
A history book all the rage. Something is disturbing Kirk as he reads. That same something is disturbing Spock, even though he is on the Enterprise at some distance away. Spock comes to Kirk. A mind meld. The truth.

I am reminded of the Star Trek: Enterprise episode in which the ancestor of the Vulcan officer lives incognito on earth a long time before the historical "First Contact." How I wanted to know more of the stories of what happened to that ancestor. I felt that Pocket Books could have do
Dufour
I've recently rediscovered a bunch of these old Star Trek books as ebooks, and they're a BLAST rereading years later. I particularly dug STRANGERS IN THE SKY from way back when not only because the book was awesome but also remembering fondly George Takei's reading of the audiobook version.

The story is particularly fun because of its nonlinear pace, jumping back to a pre- "Where No Man Has Gone Before" era where Gary Mitchell and Lee Kelso are major characters on Kirk's Enterprise. Bonanno - a
Jay Daze
The time travel plot didn't work. There wasn't much tension or meaningful action for the characters to do. For a book that wants to argue that individuals can make a different, the story leans exactly the other way. All the events in the book are fixed and everyone just plays their part. The novel ably juggled a book-within-a-book and three time periods without confusing me. I did enjoy young Kirk and company, as well as the new characters. Though I do think the military duo, Nyere and Sawyer, s ...more
Alias Pending
A snappy, wild, roller coaster ride of a story that, at certain points, was nearly coherent, ultimately undermined by a creepy theme regarding the benefits of "re-education." 3rd season Trek.
Scott Williams
I recently found a nice hardcover book club edition of this. It starts off quite well but, for me, it kind of falls off the rails. There are a couple of subplots and secondary characters that just make it too convoluted. I also didn't enjoy the reference to Leonard Nimoy's poetry book. It just pulled me out.
Macjest
Well, since I was on a Star Trek kick, I wandered down to the library to see what they had on the original series. This book was an interesting take on the series. The book is set during the time after Star Trek The Movie. A best selling book (of the same name) has become very popular. Bones encourages Kirk to read the book. After he starts reading it, Kirk starts having dreams about the people in the book. Spock has dreams too, and he hasn't even read the book. What's the book about? That Vulca ...more
Daniel Kukwa
Another novel where events have been sidetracked by info presented in later TV episodes and films. But put that aside...and you have an astonishingly well-written & groundbreaking adventure, with three separate stories that eventually collide explosively & magnificently. It also allows for some solid wish fulfillment by acting as not one but TWO prequels: (1) a story setting up the crew we see in "Where No Man Has Gone Before" -- making that episode's outcome all the more tragic; (2) a s ...more
Keith Bell
Great story that fleshes out man's first contact with the Vulcan's. Incorporates the episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before" from the original series.
Tim
Although this book is apparently not canon because the story conflicts with events in the film series, this is still a nice story and a fun read for those who enjoy Star Trek despite a few flaws.
Natasha
This book was a little inconsistent with the Star Trek timeline, but since this is a canon, I can forgive it. The book was very interesting, and kept my interest throughout the entire book.

I think the story line I liked the most was the supposed "first time" Vulcans interacted with humans. The Spock/Kirk story line was interesting and sweet, with lots of friendship and loyalty, but the real action happens in the other story line.

I think it's definitely worth reading. I watch Star Trek and read
Clark
Very serviceable original crew story that was notable for a few reasons:

1. It fleshed out the pre-history between our time and classic Trek.

2. It took place in three different periods; The first crew just after the first movie, The original series in the first season, and the mid twenty- first century.

3. Spock got to spend a lot of "quality-time" with his human grand-father... notable since the "human-ness of Spock is often down-played.

4. It incorporated minor characters from the original ser
LOL_BOOKS
WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR COMFORT BOOKS?
Maj
In the context of Star Trek novels I have to give this one a 5 star rating because from the Trek books I've read so far this one is hands down the best.

If I rated this novel on its own I would most likely give it 4 stars: it is a great read but the story is not flawless (I'd personally take the terrorists out of it completely) and it would need to be a bit tighter to deserve a rave review.

But since I always rate Trek books in their context, Strangers deserve the same - as well as my first 5 star
Norman Howe
Science-Fiction
Michelle Stevens
love this, takes place right before one of the first episodes of the television show. I love how it went back and forth and kept me interested and anxious to finish to find out what happens.
A
I prefer the ST books that are morally focused, ie quandaries related to the Prime Directive & Diplomacy over action-based books so I quite liked this. It was a little awkward to follow at times, especially around the beginning but it picked up towards the middle.

I really loved this one line in particular where Parneb said; 'Consider one who must stand helplessly by as humanity unlearns what it knows'.
Julie
Jun 17, 2009 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
Shelves: science-fiction
I read this years ago. We got a huge box of Star Trek novels at a yard sale for $2, and over the following years I picked up several to read, but I only remember making it all the way through one or two. This one was quite interesting, because it covered the humans' first contact with the Vulcans. Really, I wouldn't mind reading it again.
Sho
Another of my favorite StarTrek books. I found it on Audible for sale. It was abridged and I felt it was too compressed but I still enjoyed it. The best part was that it was read by Mr.Takei and some parts of Spock was read by none other than Mr.Nemoy. Both were wonderful. I wish there were non abridged versions!!
Morgan Pugh
In the twenty-first century: United at last after countless years of warfare, humanity turns toward the stars. When an alien spacecraft crashlands in the South Pacific bearing visitors from another world, the Vulcans, Earth must decide whether to extend the hand of friendship, or the fist of war.
  • Final Frontier
  • Time for Yesterday (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #2)
  • Spock's World
  • Enterprise: The First Adventure
  • Ishmael
  • Shadows on the Sun
  • Vulcan's Glory
  • The IDIC Epidemic
  • The Lost Years (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #1)
  • Dreams of the Raven
  • Timetrap
  • Star Trek: The Disinherited
  • Vulcan's Forge
  • Home Is the Hunter
  • Federation
  • Black Fire
Margaret Wander Bonanno is a science fiction author with over twenty novels to her credit, including several set in the Star Trek universe.
More about Margaret Wander Bonanno...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 112 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle
  • Web of the Romulans
Probe Dwellers in the Crucible Unspoken Truth Catalyst of Sorrows (Star Trek: The Lost Era, 2360) Burning Dreams