Start by marking “When He Was Wicked (Bridgerton #6)” as Want to Read:
When He Was Wicked (Bridgerton #6)

When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons #6)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  20,196 ratings  ·  783 reviews
In every life there is a turning point.

A moment so tremendous, so sharp and breathtaking, that one knows one's life will never be the same. For Michael Stirling, London's most infamous rake, that moment came the first time he laid eyes on Francesca Bridgerton.

After a lifetime of chasing women, of smiling slyly as they chased him, of allowing himself to be caught but never
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about When He Was Wicked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When He Was Wicked

Shawna
5 stars – Historical/Regency Romance

I’ll be honest, this is the book that attracted me to Julia Quinn’s Bridgertons to begin with and the story that I was most looking forward to reading in the series. I mean, with a title like “When He Was Wicked”? Well, I knew I simply couldn’t pass it up. Although I really liked this, surprisingly, it’s not my favorite of the series. That honor is still tied between the breathtaking, fairy tale romance An Offer From a Gentleman and the sweet, whimsical Romanc
UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick
My Review:

This, the 6th installment of the Bridgerton series, is so different from the rest of the stories that it took me by surprise – a pleasant surprise. Having read and found the previous books lighter, funnier reads, I hadn’t expected to find this one much different. If there was ever any question as to Ms. Quinn’s ability to write a more intense, deeper story, When He Was Wicked has answered it with a resounding yes!

When He Was Wicked is the story of Michael Stirling, Rake Extraordinaire
Didi
4.5 STARS

I loved this. I haven't read this series in order, I think I've read Sophie's story, but that's it. I've been told that the Bridgertons are entwined throughout the series so it's best read in order. But I gotta tell you, I loved this anyways and never felt I was lost or not privy to previous developments. I do plan on reading the rest of the series and only wish they're as good as this one.

So, Michael Stirling. The man had my attention from the first page. His forbidden love and acutely
Rane
After four long years of mourning her beloved husband Francesca Bridgerton Stirling is finally going back into society. Still young, she feels the longing to be a mother, and has decided to find herself a husband. But when her husband’s cousin and once her close friend returns, her simple plan seems to fly out the window.
Michael Stirling has been in love with Francesca for many years, and after the sudden death of his cousin, his life was turned upside down. Feeling he was betraying his cous
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
This book recounts the age-old tale of falling in love with your best friend's girl...but what happens when you get your chance at her hand, albeit at the loss of your best friend through his untimely death?

This is a beautiful Regency romance on grief, loss, and moving on. I've read and mostly loved all the books featuring the Bridgerton family, and this is the book I return to time after time because I think it is the best in the series. It is written in your typical inestimable Julia Quinn sty
Eastofoz
Nov 25, 2009 Eastofoz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bridgerton series fans, readers who like regency with spice
Ahh Julia Quinn, the best comfort read out there. Not only is this an excellent comfort read but it’s comfort with a surprising twist. I had to check more than once that I was reading a Juia Quinn and not Lisa Kleypas whose steam scenes can be a whole lot steamier than Quinn’s. This book was fantastic!

Filled with emotion that starts out simmering and ends up ready to firecracker high in the sky, here’s the story of Francesca Bridgerton and Michael Stirling friends/cousins through Francesca’s hus
Linds
This is definitely the most intense of the Bridgerton series that I've read so far.

Francesca Bridgerton is Michael's ultimate "Jessie's Girl." He has been completely in love with her since the first time he met her. She is his cousin's (who is like a brother to him) wife. He never tries to win her, or even wish for her, but has resigned himself to bitter acceptance and self hatred for secretly wanting his cousin's wife. He tamps all his feelings down and is ashamed of himself.

Well, the cousin d
Fani
Jasmin
Preparations necessary when reading When He Was Wicked:

Materials needed:
bucket of ice -to douse the heat
handkerchief -to wipe off the sweat
blood pressure cuff and heart rate monitor -to monitor if your BP and pulse are still in safe levels
guardian angel -to prevent infection of wickedness
optional:
handcuffs -to prevent being wicked
sedative -to reduce excitement

Preferential reading temperature:
20 or lower -things can get hot

Precautions:
(1) Breathe slowly. (Especially when approaching Chapter 17)
Katrina Passick Lumsden
*Fanning myself*

Goodness.

This book should get two stars from me, but here's an interesting fact; Michael Stirling rates an entire star on his own. I found myself frustrated with Francesca's behavior. It's not that I couldn't understand it, just that it dragged on for far too long. I've noticed that a propensity to draw out a story is one of the weaknesses in Quinn's writing. This isn't the only book of hers I've read that had me heaving a sigh, rolling my eyes, and uttering -

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

But if you can get
♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness
....'Thou Shalt Not Covet Thy Cousins Wife'....

Straight away with this chapter of the Bridgerton series you notice how different it is from the prior. Firstly there is the very noticble lack of Bridgerton family presence. Also, there has never been any real mention of Francesca in the past books. I dont even remember her being married but apparently that happened also.

Thinking back over the Brigerton Series to write these reviews I realised this was one of my favourites.Francesca (Frannue) is h
*Book-Lover*

LOVED IT!!!

This one definitely had a different feel than the previous books in the series. It's a bit darker, deals with the lovely Francesca Bridgerton and her newly wed husband, John KilMartin of only 2 years, when he complains of a headache, goes to take a sleep, and never wakes up...

The surprising thing about this story was that Francesca and John are happily passionately in love with each other, when tradegy strikes, so your heart really breaks for her. Shockingly, your heart breaks for Mic
Brittany B.
Changed my mind... 4.8 Stars!! :))
4.5 stars for Narration, by Simon Preeble.

Wow! What an intense story! One hell of an audiobook, to be sure.
I dont know if it was more of Simon Preeble's interpretation or Julia Quinn's writing, but this was one seriously intense, melodramatic historical romance!
I secretly love it (secretly- meaning I wasn't sure how I felt until reflection.) And I changed my rating after relistening to a few bookmarked sections.

First things first: This can definitely be rea
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted on Under the Covers

Michael Stirling is known as the Merry Rake. Seducing and flirting is his forte. However, Michael is in love with the one person he can never have. Married to his cousin John, Francesca is unaware of Michael’s feelings for her. The three of them are best friends, but her presence makes Michael hurt in the worst of ways.

But when a loss shatters both their worlds, Michael and Francesca don’t know how to deal with the pain...or the presence of one another. The question s
Duchess Nicole
This is a beautiful and touching book. Michael and Francesca's story was not as lighthearted as the other Bridgerton sibling's books. While I did get frustrated with Francesca at times, overall, I was so engaged in both characters that any frustration was overshadowed by the delight of seeing their relationship develop. This is how lovers should begin, by building on a friendship, and letting the rest come naturally.

Although this was a heartbreaking story at times, I do want to mention that the
Cheryl
This was an amazing book! Michael and Francesca's story was totally believable and I enjoyed every minute of it. Sometimes I find it really annoying when the hero and heroine in a story take forever to let go of their hold on their feelings and fall in love. But in this story it makes sense! They both loved John so much and Michael had such guilt that it took a while to find peace for both of them. My emotions went on a roller coaster ride through this story and it was thrilling!! I recommend it ...more
Brenda (b)
Francesca was the sister least talked about in the previous novels. I wasn't sure if I was going to connect with her, but I think I did. For me, this one has been the most emotional of the Bridgerton stories so far. Michael's unrequited love was heart-rending. John's death was so sudden and tragic. Francesca and Michael both had to come to terms with losing him and they needed each other so much. The epilogue, the letter from John's mother to Michael, did me in.
Ally72
This was a huge five star book for me. The BEST Julia Quinn book I have read...I loved it!!!
Marla Mei
When He Was Wicked is my first Julia Quinn and it certainly won't be the last.
jenjn79
Rating: 4.5 / 5

I think maybe this is my favorite book in the series so far. The romantic aspect and the passion of the book was excellently done. I was completely hooked into this one and just wanted to keep reading.

Series Note:
You should probably read the series in order, but this one has a pretty independent storyline.

Summary:
Francesca Bridgerton thought she had a great life ahead of her with the love of her life John Stirling, Earl of Kilmartin and a wonderful friendship with John's cousin, M
Maureen Feeney
Thinking back over the Brigerton Series to write these reviews I realised this was one of my favourites.Francesca is happily married to John, Earl of Kilmartin, she has a great friendship with his cousin and best friend Michael,who has been in love with her since he first saw her, but he has kept his feelings well hidden.
At the start of the book John dies leaving Francesca devastated
while Michael inherits John's title ,land and wealth.
This is a story of grief,unrequited love and simply moving on
Sinfonia
Se há autora que consegue fazer com que eu leia um livro em menos de 24 horas, essa autora é Julia Quinn. Não há como criticar de uma maneira negativa um livro dela, muito menos ainda sendo um desta série familiar cheia de humor, sensualidade e paixão.
Nos primeiros quatro livros, todos os capítulos começavam com os famosos excertos das crónicas *deliciosas* de Lady Whistledown. No entanto, no quinto livro passou-se a usar as cartas entre Eloise e Sir Phillip de maneira a que os leitores continu
Maria

That was a pleasant surprise for me! I loved it! But why this came as a surprise when it’s more than obvious that I love this series? Well, because although I love all the Bridgertons, Francesca wasn’t something special for me. She wasn’t as outgoing as the rest of her family. But after reading her story she became a favorite!

It was a very intense story because it’s a love story that managed to happen because of a tragedy.
Francesca was a happily married young woman. Her husband was her lover and
Sandra

Apesar de detestar esta capa, admito que adorei o seu conteúdo.

R.
I had two primary concerns going into When He Was Wicked: 1) I was curious to see what Quinn would do with a heroine who GASP isn't a virgin!!1 and 2) I was pretty sure she'd never given more than like five minutes thought to Francesca until it was time to write this book.

Francesca was (prior to this book and following it, honestly) the Invisible Bridgerton. I'm fairly certain that she's only ever present in a scene once in the previous five books, and that's a scene wherein Simon Bassett can't
valee
OK, I am absolutely sure that this book is a 5 star rating and a fave of mine after finishing it. And even though everybody will disagree with me, I still feel that book 5 was a bit better.

But let's talk about this book. It was amazing. So fantastic. What can I say? Julia Quinn knows what she's doing.

Both characters were amazing and you could just see from the start that they were meant to be together. I really enjoyed this installment of the series and can't wait to read the next.
FlibBityFLooB
4.5/5 stars. Whew! Oh my. There was a scene in this book that was so hot I felt like I could use a cold shower after reading it. Hehe. He was definitely wicked. *grin*

I couldn't stop reading. Ended up staying up all night to finish. Couldn't help myself. Naughty me!

The book overall was good. The first part of it started a little slow for me, but the last half more than made up for it. This series continues to be very enjoyable.
Célia Loureiro
Na minha opinião, não funcionou.
O início é credível q.b., com o galã apaixonado pela mulher do seu melhor amigo mas sem fazer nada para destruir a união deles. Depois, com a morte do marido da Francesca, as coisas precipitam-se.
Já li tantos livros do género que têm de ser realmente especiais para me cativar.
  • Lady Sophia's Lover (Bow Street Runners, #2)
  • England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
  • A Summer to Remember (Bedwyn Prequels, #2)
  • Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2)
  • Much Ado About You (Essex Sisters, #1)
  • The Perfect Rake (The Merridew Sisters, #1)
  • Waking Up With the Duke (London's Greatest Lovers, #3)
  • One Night of Sin (Knight Miscellany, #6)
  • The Serpent Prince (Princes Trilogy, #3)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Julia Quinn loves to dispel the myth that smart women don't read (or write) romance, and in 2001 she did so in grand style, competing on the the game show The Weakest Link and walking away with the $79,000 jackpot. She displayed a decided lack of knowledge about baseball, country music, and plush toys, but she is proud to say that she aced all things British an ...more
More about Julia Quinn...

Bridgertons (9 books)
  • The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1)
  • The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2)
  • An Offer From a Gentleman (Bridgertons, #3)
  • Romancing Mister Bridgerton (Bridgertons, #4)
  • To Sir Phillip, With Love (Bridgertons, #5)
  • It's in His Kiss (Bridgertons #7)
  • On the Way to the Wedding (Bridgertons, #8)
  • Because of Miss Bridgerton (Bridgertons)
The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1) The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2) Romancing Mister Bridgerton (Bridgertons, #4) The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever (Bevelstoke, #1) An Offer From a Gentleman (Bridgertons, #3)

“In every life there is a turning point. A moment so tremendous, so sharp and clear that one feels as if one's been hit in the chest, all the breath knocked out, and one knows, absolutely knows without the merest hint of a shadow of a doubt that one's life will never be the same.” 134 likes
“Oh, God, Francesca,Now there’s a good one.Why?Why? Why?” He gave each one a different tenor, as if he were testing out the word, asking it to
different people.
“Why?” he asked again, this time with increased volume
as he turned around to face her.
“Why? It’s
because I love you, damn me to hell. Because I’ve always loved you. Because I loved you when you
were with John, and I loved you when I was in India, and God only knows I don’t deserve you, but I
love you, anyway.”
Francesca sagged against the door.
“How’s that for a witty little joke?” he mocked. “I loveyou. I loveyou, my cousin’s wife. I loveyou, the
one woman I can never have. I loveyou, Francesca Bridger-ton Stirling.”
46 likes