Start by marking “Dwellers in the Crucible (Star Trek: The Original Series #25)” as Want to Read:
Dwellers in the Crucible (Star Trek: The Original Series #25)

Dwellers in the Crucible (Star Trek: The Original Series #25)

DWELLERS IN THE CRUCIBLE

Warrantors of Peace: the Federation's daring experiment to prevent war among its members. each Warrantor, man or woman is hostage for the government of his native world -- and is instantly killed if that world breaks the peace.

Now Romulans have kidnapped six Warrantors, to foment political chaos -- and then civil war -- within the Federation. Ca

Paperback
Published September 12th 1989 by Titan Books Ltd (first published September 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Dwellers in the Crucible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dwellers in the Crucible

Kayla
Dec 11, 2012 Kayla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There are so many problems with this story, but the writing is excellent.

First, I don't accept that the Federation would go along with the idea of Peace Warrantors. Remember, Starfleet and the United Earth live with such trust that they don't even have money! The requirement for Warrantors suggests that threats of violence are the way these supposedly peaceful, trusting governments handle disputes.

Second, Kirk and team would not be six months saving the innocent good guys, allowing three to be t
Rebecca
Jun 13, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2008, scifi, startrek
No guilty pleasure here. This was a heavy read, almost hard to finish. I've read plenty darker tales of captivity, but never in this universe. The future of Star Trek is unequivocally optimistic, aglow with scientific progress and racial harmony. But it's not a particularly feminist future. Some books and latter-day shows do a good job of rewriting a more inclusive vision. Instead, Crucible treats the man's world as realism. A woman's lot never changes, even for a strong and complex cast of fema ...more
Miriam
May 03, 2010 Miriam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Somewhat overwrought captivity-drama based on the (unlikely) premise that representatives of Federation planets must choose hostages who are immediately executed if their planet commits an act of violence. These Warrantors of Peace are kidnapped and held under primitive conditions on a bare and bleak world. The focus is on emotional interactions rather than diplomacy and international relations.
Mike Crate
May 20, 2016 Mike Crate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, star-trek
I am so glad I read this novel again and truth be told I now wonder if first time around all those years ago I never finished it. I say that because apart from one particular event I really couldn't remember any significant details of the story. I think at the time Dwellers in the Crucible was a novel I was not prepared for since you came to expect a certain type of story from a Star Trek paperback and this pushed the boundaries way back. Thankfully a good portion of the novel which is flashback ...more
Tammy
Sep 19, 2009 Tammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Federation has a new experiment to ensure peace among its members by holding a loved one hostage for each world. If the government breaks the peace, the hostage is immediately killed by an implant in their heart. Six of these 'warrantors of peace' have been kidnapped, and it is up to the Enterprise to find and rescue them.

I loved this book when I was a kid, and read it quite a number of times. This book is all about emotional involvement in the characters: the friendship, suffering, survival
Gloria
Oct 09, 2010 Gloria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best Star Trek (original series)novels that I have read.
The only enhancement to the story: I would have liked the two main characters to have fulfilled their soulmate bond sexually at the end. But, the story was very well written without the addition!
Mariah
Sep 12, 2014 Mariah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans, fans interested in t'hy'la concept
All the Star Trek: The Original Series novels I have read centered on the main crew of the Enterprise, since they are the characters fans are most familiar with and are most eager to read about. The back jacket description of this novel seemed to be like all the others, generally outlining a problem that the Enterprise crew would be called upon, whether by their superiors or by their own prerogative, to solve/remedy/mitigate.

Color me pleasantly surprised when the majority of the novel focused i
Vashti
Mar 05, 2017 Vashti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could give this book six stars. It may be a pulp novel, but it's been one of my favourites all my life.
Jerry
Dec 15, 2016 Jerry rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing but a big mess.
John
Direct-to-DVD movies are often the victim of bait-and-switch marketing campaigns in which famous actors are granted top billing for appearing in only one or two scenes. As a result, you may rent a movie thinking it stars Steven Seagal or Dolph Lundgren, only to discover that the film's lead actor is actually someone like Johnny Messner or Luke Goss.
DWELLERS IN THE CRUCIBLE does something similar, though I in no way blame the author for it. The book's front cover features large, peering images of
Michael Hanscom
Definitely one of the best Star Trek novels I've read. My one problem is the device used to kick everything off -- that the Federation uses it's leaders' children as "Warrantors of Peace" by implanting weapon launch codes in their hearts; the only way for a leader to launch an attack against another member of the Federation is to extract the codes by killing their child. This is a bizarre and very un-Federation method of ensuring peace, made all the more bizarre because it's portrayed as having ...more
Dark-Draco
I tend to pick up a Star Trek novel when I want a quick, easy but entertaining read. Therefore, I was quite surprised at this one, in that it wasn't that quick or easy to read, and although somewhat entertained, I think I only stuck with it to see if it could be resolved.

On the surface, the story looks quite good. Six 'Warrantors of Peace' are kidnapped by a Romulan / Klingon faction. Sulu is sent undercover to find out where they are, Scotty is sent to do a bit of spying and Spock and Kirk get
Eddie
Aug 15, 2012 Eddie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bonanno is my favorite Star Trek author; actually the only one I read. I've read other ST books that were written too much like ST episodes, like you would see on TV, which turned me off of the whole idea. Prose is a different medium and requires a different approach. She writes her ST stories the way she would any other; more literary, deeper characterizations and the use of non-linear narrative.
Anyway, this particular story revolves largely around two female characters not previously establis
Vanillabear
Sep 11, 2016 Vanillabear rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
basically female versions of Spock and Kirk. Still loved it tho.
Daniel Kukwa
Feb 22, 2014 Daniel Kukwa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
The core of this novel is the relationship between a Human & a Vulcan, directly in parallel to that of Kirk & Spock. It's been rightly praised, and the quality of the writing is superb...but I have to admit that I found it the least interesting part of the novel, and I kept wanting to get back to everything else. The surrounding events & characters I found far more fascinating, as not only does it act as a celebration of the "Star Trek" universe in the aftermath of "The Motion Pictur ...more
Wetdryvac Wetdryvac
One of the first three Star Trek novels I read, this one's a heavy hitter in terms of how reasoning behind a variety of ethical sets go. Coming from this, I found the later fluff showing up in Star Trek to be very strange.

This book does an outstanding job of addressing, "What would someone from this background and mindset do?" Which is pretty much the primary thing I ask of any book. Probably the most serious addressing of consent breach I've seen in Star Trek.
Alice
Jun 05, 2007 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the cover suggests, OH THE LESBIAN LOVE. Well. not really. More like intense F/F friendship. It is somewhat sexually explicit, but if there's sex between the leading ladies, it happens outside the text. It's been criticized for not having enough actual Star Trek characters, but I think that's made up for by the multifaceted original characters and the exploration of Vulcan. And there is the obvious parallel between the Human and Vulcan lead characters and Kirk and Spock.
Ronald Wilcox
Disappointing story to me because the two protagonists are not really a part of the ST universe previously (that I am aware of) and the usual ST gang play supportive or peripheral roles. Writing was very good but storyline, about Warrantors of Peace of the Federation being kidnapped by Romulans and Klingons to cause dissension in the Federation, was not absorbing for me.
Eve
Oct 28, 2011 Eve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this several times as a preteen. It was one of my first introductions to the Star Trek universe, having been raised in a Star Wars household. It was pretty lol back then, and I'm sure it's not that great now. I might track down a copy someday and read it again for the first time in 20something years to see how it's aged.
Bev
Mar 11, 2011 Bev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was a teen-ager. It resonated with me because of the friendship between the two characters. Friendship at that time was incredibly important to me (not that it isn't now)...because of some tough times my best friend & I went through. This was a very important book to me then. Not sure how I'd view it now, but I have very strong good memories of reading it.
Chantel
May 28, 2013 Chantel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I wish there was a 3.5 on here. Anyway, I remember really loving this book the first time I read it after high school. I still like it a lot, it's an interesting story & different because the main characters aren't the usual.
I keep wishing the ending was different, but then again, maybe not. :)
Vana
Jan 14, 2017 Vana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, own
One of the top 5.
Travis
Jan 31, 2010 Travis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Not bad story involving political hostages, that would have made a decent TV episode, but feels a bit padded as a book.

Shaun
Premise seems silly. It's an attempt to write another Vulcan friendship. Sometimes successful, sometimes overwrought.
Emilyf11
good read - can a vulcan and a human be best friends?
colleen
read 11.21.85
Ada Soto
Ada Soto rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2015
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2015
Stephen Collins
Stephen Collins rated it did not like it
Nov 11, 2016
Darrell Parker
Darrell Parker rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2016
  • Crisis on Centaurus
  • Enemy Unseen
  • Deep Domain
  • Pawns and Symbols
  • The Romulan Way (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #2)
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)
  • Rules of Engagement
  • Home Is the Hunter
  • The IDIC Epidemic
  • Chain of Attack
  • The Final Reflection (Star Trek: Worlds Apart, #1)
  • The Rift
  • Death Count
  • Corona
  • Shell Game
  • Legacy
  • Timetrap
  • Ishmael (Star Trek: The Original Series, #23)
Margaret Wander Bonanno is a science fiction author with over twenty novels to her credit, including several set in the Star Trek universe.
More about Margaret Wander Bonanno...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire