Start by marking “Dwellers in the Crucible (Star Trek: The Original Series #25)” as Want to Read:
Dwellers in the Crucible (Star Trek: The Original Series #25)

Dwellers in the Crucible (Star Trek: The Original Series #25)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  467 ratings  ·  18 reviews

DWELLERS IN THE CRUCIBLE

Warrantors of Peace: the Federation's daring experiment to prevent war among its members. each Warrantor, man or woman is hostage for the government of his native world -- and is instantly killed if that world breaks the peace.

Now Romulans have kidnapped six Warrantors, to foment political chaos -- and then civil war -- within the Federation. Ca

Paperback
Published September 12th 1989 by Titan Books Ltd (first published September 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Dwellers in the Crucible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dwellers in the Crucible

Kayla
There are so many problems with this story, but the writing is excellent.

First, I don't accept that the Federation would go along with the idea of Peace Warrantors. Remember, Starfleet and the United Earth live with such trust that they don't even have money! The requirement for Warrantors suggests that threats of violence are the way these supposedly peaceful, trusting governments handle disputes.

Second, Kirk and team would not be six months saving the innocent good guys, allowing three to be t
Rebecca
No guilty pleasure here. This was a heavy read, almost hard to finish. I've read plenty darker tales of captivity, but never in this universe. The future of Star Trek is unequivocally optimistic, aglow with scientific progress and racial harmony. But it's not a particularly feminist future. Some books and latter-day shows do a good job of rewriting a more inclusive vision. Instead, Crucible treats the man's world as realism. A woman's lot never changes, even for a strong and complex cast of fema ...more
Tammy
The Federation has a new experiment to ensure peace among its members by holding a loved one hostage for each world. If the government breaks the peace, the hostage is immediately killed by an implant in their heart. Six of these 'warrantors of peace' have been kidnapped, and it is up to the Enterprise to find and rescue them.

I loved this book when I was a kid, and read it quite a number of times. This book is all about emotional involvement in the characters: the friendship, suffering, survival
Mariah
Sep 18, 2014 Mariah rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans, fans interested in t'hy'la concept
All the Star Trek: The Original Series novels I have read centered on the main crew of the Enterprise, since they are the characters fans are most familiar with and are most eager to read about. The back jacket description of this novel seemed to be like all the others, generally outlining a problem that the Enterprise crew would be called upon, whether by their superiors or by their own prerogative, to solve/remedy/mitigate.

Color me pleasantly surprised when the majority of the novel focused i
Gloria
This is one of the best Star Trek (original series)novels that I have read.
The only enhancement to the story: I would have liked the two main characters to have fulfilled their soulmate bond sexually at the end. But, the story was very well written without the addition!
Daniel Kukwa
The core of this novel is the relationship between a Human & a Vulcan, directly in parallel to that of Kirk & Spock. It's been rightly praised, and the quality of the writing is superb...but I have to admit that I found it the least interesting part of the novel, and I kept wanting to get back to everything else. The surrounding events & characters I found far more fascinating, as not only does it act as a celebration of the "Star Trek" universe in the aftermath of "The Motion Pictur ...more
Eddie
Bonanno is my favorite Star Trek author; actually the only one I read. I've read other ST books that were written too much like ST episodes, like you would see on TV, which turned me off of the whole idea. Prose is a different medium and requires a different approach. She writes her ST stories the way she would any other; more literary, deeper characterizations and the use of non-linear narrative.
Anyway, this particular story revolves largely around two female characters not previously establis
Michael Hanscom
Definitely one of the best Star Trek novels I've read. My one problem is the device used to kick everything off -- that the Federation uses it's leaders' children as "Warrantors of Peace" by implanting weapon launch codes in their hearts; the only way for a leader to launch an attack against another member of the Federation is to extract the codes by killing their child. This is a bizarre and very un-Federation method of ensuring peace, made all the more bizarre because it's portrayed as having ...more
Alice
As the cover suggests, OH THE LESBIAN LOVE. Well. not really. More like intense F/F friendship. It is somewhat sexually explicit, but if there's sex between the leading ladies, it happens outside the text. It's been criticized for not having enough actual Star Trek characters, but I think that's made up for by the multifaceted original characters and the exploration of Vulcan. And there is the obvious parallel between the Human and Vulcan lead characters and Kirk and Spock.
Wetdryvac
One of the first three Star Trek novels I read, this one's a heavy hitter in terms of how reasoning behind a variety of ethical sets go. Coming from this, I found the later fluff showing up in Star Trek to be very strange.

This book does an outstanding job of addressing, "What would someone from this background and mindset do?" Which is pretty much the primary thing I ask of any book. Probably the most serious addressing of consent breach I've seen in Star Trek.
Miriam
Somewhat overwrought captivity-drama based on the (unlikely) premise that representatives of Federation planets must choose hostages who are immediately executed if their planet commits an act of violence. These Warrantors of Peace are kidnapped and held under primitive conditions on a bare and bleak world. The focus is on emotional interactions rather than diplomacy and international relations.
Bev Hankins
I read this when I was a teen-ager. It resonated with me because of the friendship between the two characters. Friendship at that time was incredibly important to me (not that it isn't now)...because of some tough times my best friend & I went through. This was a very important book to me then. Not sure how I'd view it now, but I have very strong good memories of reading it.
Eve
I read this several times as a preteen. It was one of my first introductions to the Star Trek universe, having been raised in a Star Wars household. It was pretty lol back then, and I'm sure it's not that great now. I might track down a copy someday and read it again for the first time in 20something years to see how it's aged.
Chantel
I wish there was a 3.5 on here. Anyway, I remember really loving this book the first time I read it after high school. I still like it a lot, it's an interesting story & different because the main characters aren't the usual.
I keep wishing the ending was different, but then again, maybe not. :)
Travis
Not bad story involving political hostages, that would have made a decent TV episode, but feels a bit padded as a book.

Shaun
Premise seems silly. It's an attempt to write another Vulcan friendship. Sometimes successful, sometimes overwrought.
Emilyf11
good read - can a vulcan and a human be best friends?
Oliver
Oliver marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Carlos Eduardo
Carlos Eduardo marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Derek Adelman
Derek Adelman marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Chris
Chris added it
Jan 10, 2015
  • Crisis on Centaurus
  • Pawns and Symbols
  • Deep Domain
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)
  • Rules of Engagement
  • Enemy Unseen
  • The Final Reflection (Star Trek: Worlds Apart, #1)
  • Chain of Attack
  • Home Is the Hunter
  • Timetrap
  • Web of the Romulans
  • Three Minute Universe
Margaret Wander Bonanno is a science fiction author with over twenty novels to her credit, including several set in the Star Trek universe.
More about Margaret Wander Bonanno...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 112 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle
  • Web of the Romulans
Strangers from the Sky Probe Unspoken Truth Catalyst of Sorrows (Star Trek: The Lost Era, 2360) Burning Dreams