Start by marking “Fowl Prey (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #2)” as Want to Read:
Fowl Prey (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #2)

Fowl Prey (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #2)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  556 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Leaving the Hillside manor in capable hands, bed-and-breakfast hostess Judith McMonigle heads north to Vancouver's Hotel Clovia with her irrepressibly voracious cousin Renie for a pre-Thanksgiving getaway. But when an addled and impoverished popcorn vendor is murdered -- along with his foul-mouthed pet parakeet -- a local copper's suspicious gaze settles on the two visitin ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published November 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Fowl Prey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fowl Prey

Mary
Not very imaginative writing; I lost interest. Insultingly full of thinly disguised names of places in Seattle and Vancouver BC.
Monique
honestly....these books are dead boring for me. It took a full month(!!) to read two of them. I think I'll delete the rest off my Kindle.
Allan Krummenacker
This is the 2nd installment of the long running Bed and Breakfast Mysteries and it was every bit as good as I'd hoped. The protagonists, two middle aged women who are cousins, are great foils for each other with their banter and sharp wit. Having grown up like sisters, they know each others habits, temperaments and strengths. They also naturally share a long family history and deep understanding of one another. Together they make a formidable amateur sleuth team.

In this story, while on a trip to
Christyn
While I'm still not sure about the characters, I will say one thing, Daheim certainly knows how to write a mystery. There are enough twists and turns, red herrings and skeleton's in closets to keep the mystery going strong throughout the book. I don't particularly mind the twists and convoluted relationships, I do however wish that the characters were more three-dimensional. Perhaps they get better in future books, but I just don't click with them. Yes I have moments where I like them, don't li ...more
Dharia Scarab
Not my style, but I picked up most of the series at a thrift store so I'll try to give it another chance.

3 stars... This book was ok, but I won't go out
Jeff Dickison
A cozy that was often too cozy. I liked parts of this book, but other parts, including the solving of the mystery, were BORING. The witty repartee between some of the characters was nice, but the conclusion was confusing and way too coincedental. I would recommend only to people who like these little cozies.
LJ
FOWL PREY - Ok
Daheim, Mary - 2nd in Bed-and-Breakfast series

Leaving the Hillside manor in capable hands, bed-and-breakfast hostess Judith McMonigle heads north to Vancouver's Hotel Clovia with her irrepressibly voracious cousin Renie for a pre-Thanksgiving getaway. But when an addled and impoverished popcorn vendor is murdered-along with his foul-mouthed pet parakeet-a local copper's suspicious gaze settles on the two visiting Americans. The cousins, in turn, suspect one of the "Sacred Eight" --
Tammy
Early in the series but very well constructed with tightly constructed plot and we'll written characters.
Jeanie
First off that series for me and I plan to read more by M. Daheim.
Dolly
I've only read two books in this series; I like them, but I'm not hooked. This story was a fun, quick read, but the plot and characters were overly contrived with too many connections between the "Sacred Eight" characters and far too many convenient coincidences. It was difficult to keep track of all of the past relationships and almost inbred familial connections. Overall, though, it was a welcome diversion during a draining night shift and a hectic exercise.

new words: espalier, pilaster, dudg
Aviva
A good quick read.
VJ
In her best Agatha Christie mode, this author packed her novel with a roll call of interesting characters that made my head spin. Add to the mix several aliases and quite a few "Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon" episodes and you have a convoluted mess. Thankfully, I was able to keep the main players straight. That didn't help me solve the mystery though!

While being slightly confusing with the colorful cast of ever-evolving characters, it was nevertheless a really fun read.
Susan
When Judith McMonigle and Renie Jones visit a posh Canadian hotel for a rare break, the last thing they expect is to meet some high school friends, now famous in the artistic world. But when the cousins find a popcorn vendor dead in the hotel elevator, they also find a mystery involving their friends. Since the police are on strike, the cousins must do some detecting if they expect to get home in time to satisfy their difficult families.
I had enjoyed the first of this series so much that I was very excited to read this one. While it had the same main characters I enjoyed from the first, I knew nearly right away I wouldn't like it as much. The minor characters were annoying and the situation was kind of confusing. The "who dunnit" at the end was completely out of nowhere. I wouldn't say the book was horrible, but definitely not great.
Lindsay
The cousins go to Canada for vacation right before Thanksgiving and find a dead body. In attempt to make it home in time for the holiday they try to find the killer. It was a decent book, but like always there are to many people and I got confused about who was who. I really dont like the mom. She's so mean.
Beth
The main character and her cousin go off for a few days for a quick vacation before the Thanksgiving rush and fall into a murder mystery involving some people they know and some they have just met.

Another quirky fun read with some twists and turns of the plot, some strange characters and a lot of humanity.
Glenn Harris
Second book in this long-standing series, a good mystery. The banter is still a little over the top for my taste but I'm going to read on because Daheim's Emma Lord series is so good and I anticipate this one will continue to get better as we approach the present day.
Clare
I like Daheim's complicated plots. I wish she wouldn't draw her characters in such a two dimensional way, though. I do like that the romance that threads through the series is complicated and that the heroine is a hard-working and smart businesswoman.
Nicole
I liked this sequel more than the first novel in the series. Since I enjoy the Alpine mysteries I felt this series must get better and I was pleased with the setting in Victoria's Empress Hotel disquised a the Clovia Hotel.
Diane Falvey
On vacation in Canada at the Clovia Hotel the girls meet up with an old school friend. a nice weekend away from thier mothers and husbands only to get caught up in another murder. The girls are again on the trail of a murderer.
Sallie
The cast of characters was confusing at times, and I was afraid she'd meet up with the killer at the end ala the first book, but she didn't. That helped me like the book. Engaging characters, but so many of them ;-}
KB
I think I missed something with this one — namely the "Eureka!" moment where our amateur sleuth clued in on whatever was going on. I had to re-read an entire chapter and still was left in the fog.
Melissa
This was a little better than the first book in the series. It was a little predictable, but still better written. I will buy Daheim's books one at a time in case I decide I can take no more!
Linda
This was a good book but I found it a little confusing trying to keep all the characters straight. Total surprise ending, I never would have guessed whodunit.
Patricia
I liked this book alittle more than the first one. There wasn't as many characters to get me confused. I'm liking the two main characters.
Rebecca
I started with this book, since I couldn't find Just Desserts (the first in the series). It was a good read, "light murder" mystery.
Candace Wegner
Not my favorite series -- a bit dated -- but still a lot of fun on a rainy Saturday.
Kim
This one takes place in Canada at a historical hotel. A hint of romance as well.
Tracey
These books get better as the series continues. It does help to read them in order.
  • Who Killed the Queen of Clubs? (Thoroughly Southern, #7)
  • Silence of the Hams (Jane Jeffry, #7)
  • Wedding Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #8)
  • The Body in the Vestibule (Faith Fairchild, #4)
  • Irish Chain (Benni Harper, #2)
  • Relics (Faye Longchamp, #2)
  • Off Season (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #5)
  • The 27-Ingredient Chili Con Carne Murders (Eugenia Potter, #4)
  • Fat Free and Fatal (Savannah Reid, #12)
  • Dead and Doggone (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Sins Out Of School (Dorothy Martin, #8)
Seattle native Mary Richardson Daheim has been fascinated by story-telling since early childhood. She first listened, then read, and finally began to write her own fiction when she was ten. A journalism major at the University of Washington, she was the first female editor of The Daily where she attracted national attention with her editorial stance against bigotry.
After getting her B.A., she wor
More about Mary Daheim...

Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Just Desserts (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #1)
  • Holy Terrors (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #3)
  • Dune to Death (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #4)
  • Bantam of the Opera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #5)
  • A Fit of Tempera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #6)
  • Major Vices (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #7)
  • Murder, My Suite (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #8)
  • Auntie Mayhem (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #9)
  • Nutty as a Fruitcake (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #10)
  • September Mourn (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #11)
Just Desserts (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #1) The Alpine Advocate (Emma Lord Mystery, #1) Dune to Death (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #4) The Alpine Betrayal (Emma Lord Mystery #2) Silver Scream (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #18)