Start by marking “Krispos Rising (The Tale of Krispos, #1)” as Want to Read:
Krispos Rising (The Tale of Krispos, #1)

Krispos Rising (The Tale of Krispos #1)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  388 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Videssos was beset by enemies abroad and had fallen into decadence at home. But on his first night in the imperial capital, The Empires health mattered less to Krispos than finding a dry place to sleep.

Driven by crushing taxes from the farm where his family had lived -- and died -- Krispos had come to the. city seeking what fortune a good mind and a strong back could earn.
Published December 30th 1991 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Krispos Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Krispos Rising

L.
This book is, in my opinion, one of Turtledove's best. One of his problems is that many of the characters in his varied series are essentially the same; this does not happen here. The story too is relatively fresh. While it is a basic rags-to-riches plot, the execution is relatively flawless and the details are wonderful. The plot itself is loosely modeled on the rise of Byzantine Emperor Basil I (book two is largely based on Basil II) but the interaction of magic and other various details makes ...more
M.J.
"Krispos' Rising" is a fun, if superficial, fantasy novel that is not an essential read for anyone's list, but sufficiently achieves its aims.

I should disclose up front that this hardly qualifies as a real book review. This is more a trip through nostalgia. A retro review, if you will. When I was twelve each trip to the local library (before it moved and expanded) was met with a quick trip to the small fantasy section. I read this book multiple times. I can remember the countless creases in the
Jonathon
This was a pretty good read about a peasant farmer who ended up as Emperor.

I read the Kindle version which had some real glaring misspellings. Things like "mat" for "that" and "I V" for "I've" and what have you. Getting past that did not sour the reading of the book however. So if you enjoy the fantasy style books this is pretty good, although like most Turtledove books this can slow down in places and drag some. However his character building is very good as his world building I thought.
Fantasy Literature
The opening chapter of The Tale of Krispos really sucked me in. There is realism, which I'm always a fan of, and there are hardly any wasted words. At least that's how it is at first — but more on that later. Harry Turtledove does a great job of describing what is going on by working the information you need into the narrative in natural ways rather than just straight-out telling you certain facts.

The three books that make up The Tale of Krispos — Krispos Rising, Krispos of Videssos, and Krispos
Nathan
I read this book a long time ago, but I find myself thinking back to it regularly. I plan to finally read the next one soon.
Scott Gardner
First book was a good read , pity about the 2 that followed
Brentman99
Dec 07, 2013 Brentman99 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who liked the Misplaced Legion series.
A really good series that I thoroughly enjoyed. Krispos rises through the ranks and the story of how he gets there is fun. I love the characters and Turtledove does a good job of keeping the world of Videssos alive. I enjoyed these books.
Kendra Schaefer
Meh. A passable take on the farmboy-becomes-king storyline, but nothing outstanding.
Peter
I really enjoyed this series. Typical fantasy series but well written.
Tavie
Dec 06, 2009 Tavie added it
Shelves: abandoned
Not sure about this one, but we'll see.

...abandoned. Can't get into it.
Nealmorgan
Nealmorgan marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Ricky Nobu
Ricky Nobu marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Estelle
Estelle marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Sarah Sayre
Sarah Sayre marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Andre James
Andre James marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Troy Flint
Troy Flint marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Dawn
Dawn added it
Jul 07, 2015
John Mcgregor
John Mcgregor marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Jelle
Jelle marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
  • Memory Wire
  • Ambulance Ship  (Sector General, #4)
  • Retief At Large
  • Superluminal
  • Orbital Decay (Near Space, #1)
  • Voyage of the Shadowmoon
  • The First Named (Servants of Ark Trilogy, #1)
  • The Poison Master
  • The World Before (Wess'Har Wars, #3)
  • The Shuttered Room And Other Tales Of Horror
  • The Women And The Warlords
  • Nightside City
  • Brother Death (Matador, #8)
  • Delusion's Master (Flat Earth, #3)
  • The Face of Apollo (Book of the Gods, #1)
  • Lord Prestimion (Lord Prestimion, #2)
  • Lieutenant
  • The Crooked House (King's Daggers, #2)
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce
More about Harry Turtledove...

The Tale of Krispos (3 books)
  • Krispos of Videssos (The Tale of Krispos, #2)
  • Krispos the Emperor (The Tale of Krispos, #3)
The Guns of the South In the Balance (Worldwar, #1) How Few Remain (Timeline-191, #1) Tilting the Balance (Worldwar, #2) Striking the Balance (Worldwar, #4)