Start by marking “Aftershocks (Colonization, #3)” as Want to Read:
Aftershocks (Colonization, #3)

Aftershocks (Colonization #3)

3.68  ·  Rating Details ·  1,858 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Set in the same universe as the Worldwar series, Colonization: Aftershocks brings us to Earth in the 1960s, where four superpowers rule: the United States, Russia, Nazi Germany, and the aliens of the Race.
The arrival of the aliens shot Earth technology forward at a dizzying rate—the world of 1960 includes routine space shuttle traffic, computers on every desk, and other
Mass Market Paperback, 611 pages
Published February 26th 2002 by Del Rey (first published January 31st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Aftershocks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aftershocks

David
Sep 15, 2015 David rated it liked it
This novel is the third and final in Harry Turtledove's "Colonization" trilogy. It is set in the mid-1960's, about 20 years after an alien race interrupted World War II. The aliens came, expecting an easy conquest of Earth. Instead, they found that humans adapt more quickly, advance more rapidly in technology, and are far more duplicitous than they are, themselves.

The story continues right where the second book in the trilogy left off. There are about eight subplots in the novel. Some of the sub
Neil
Thoughts while reading:
It is funny, but it just struck me why the whole Russian dialectic statements sound familiar to me. For instance, "Even the dialectic shows only trends, not details" (p. 118) sounded so familiar! Then it hit me! It reminds me of the obnoxious statements made throughout the Foundation series, where people would sit in front of Seldon's tomb and wait for Seldon's hologram to appear and reveal the 'next big trend' they were supposed to be processing to be able to move on as
Nathan
Jan 17, 2012 Nathan rated it liked it
Oddly, this one just stops. Lizards and humans struggle to get on with life for a few years of time, with a couple of bits of hazard, and then the book just stops. Almost mid-sentence. No big climax, no resolution, nothing. Strange. Rated M for some violence, coarse language and sex scenes. 2.5/5
Zéro Janvier
Troisième et dernier volume de la trilogie Colonization, et c'est du même niveau que les deux premiers volets, c'est-à-dire très bon. Il ne me reste plus maintenant qu'à lire Homeward Bound, le roman qui clôture la saga formée par les deux trilogies Worldwar et Colonization, pour dire au revoir aux envahisseurs reptiliens.
Michael Atkinson
Mar 01, 2015 Michael Atkinson rated it liked it
First off, Harry Turtledove has a habit of mentioning cities I personally know; in How Few Remain, it was Jeffersonville, Indiana; in here, it was Indianapolis. Unfortunately, Indianapolis takes a bit of an off-screen pounding in this book. Ouch.
At any rate, it was interesting, and I thought the teddy bear at the end was hilarious. There was an inconsistency in that one character was in jail and out and in again; also, I notice that Turtledove has a habit of characters in different books say ce
Matteo Pellegrini
Jan 22, 2014 Matteo Pellegrini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastico

Il ciclo di 'Colonizzazione', di cui questo è il terzo volume, prosegue la saga di 'Invasione' e si svolge vent'anni dopo. I Rettili controllano parte della Terra ma non sono riusciti a sottomettere le principali potenze, mentre gli umani si sono adattati alla loro presenza, presi fra la tendenza a lasciarsi assimilare e l'insopprimibile desiderio di ribellione. In questo volume si alternano l'ordalia parallela del pilota tedesco Johannes Drucker e del capo ribelle ebreo Mordechai Anielewicz in

Chad J
May 14, 2015 Chad J rated it it was amazing
Shelves: turtledove-harry
I have found the entire World War Series interesting and entertaining. I do find that Turtledove tends to repeat information in his books to often, its not like his readers can't remember information from one book to another!
Also Turtledove should stop writing sex dialog. Sorry buddy, you are just not very good at that.

What Turtledove is great at is presenting history from an alturnate reality. I find the books captivating and wanting more. Could stand a little less of hearing (And I Great You S
Steven
Feb 15, 2013 Steven rated it really liked it
This book doesn't even remotely tie off most of its plot threads - the author just stopped writing at some point. Many characters' plot arcs for the last three books come to precisely nothing. There also seems to be a huge inconsistency in Marseille - a character gets out of jail twice somehow (with no indication that he was re-arrested). It's a good read if you're invested in the universe but it's not good objectively.
Emma
Jul 04, 2011 Emma rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book was awesome in that it continued the stories of the characters from previous books who, as I've mentioned, I really like. This book was also very disappointing in that it has no conclusion!

Read my full review at my book review blog
Julie
Jan 03, 2013 Julie rated it liked it
On to book 8 of the series. I have to finish this to find out what happens but it's been a long read. Generations go by, people disappear from one book to the next and you never know what actually happened to some of them. But #8 is sitting on my coffee table....
Corey Peters
Apr 27, 2013 Corey Peters rated it it was ok
7th book in the series, one to go. A step down from the last one too. Some good ideas, but I figured out the "big reveal" last book already so all in all, the whole premise was a bit predictable. Looking forward to finishing this off and moving on...
Ryan
Aug 02, 2012 Ryan rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
I really didn't like this book. I thought it was actually going to be alternate history, but in reality it was just a weird science fiction story with no real hook. I stopped reading half way through.
James
Dec 17, 2007 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults
The second four-book series about humanity's encounter with alien invaders moves toward its conclusion - more of Harry Turtledove's excellent-as-usual alternate history SF, blending action with serious ideas and appealing human interest. I hope he never gets tired of writing.
Mr RUSSELL SUGDEN
Thoroughly enjoyable pulp

it isn't great literature, it isn't great sci-fi ( there's barely any sci in it), it won't change your life, but it is a great commuter novel and ever so slightly thought provoking....
Nachman Kataczinsky
Jul 20, 2014 Nachman Kataczinsky rated it liked it
Not a bad book. One exception is Turtledove's habit of using the names of real historical figures and make them do things that are completely out of character. If you ignore this, the book is enjoyable.
Loopy
Mar 13, 2013 Loopy rated it liked it

ended with less than a fizzle
Scott Gardner
Aug 12, 2014 Scott Gardner added it
Shelves: fantasy
Not a patch on the original series , was still a good read though
John
Apr 28, 2009 John rated it liked it
one of my favorite series but starting to loose it's punch.
Kurt Vosper
Jun 24, 2013 Kurt Vosper rated it liked it
Harry Turtledove, aliens, changing history. Good and bad parts in every book in this series. At times I felt the book flew, at other times I felt I had to force myself to continue.
Pete Gitto
Apr 22, 2013 Pete Gitto rated it really liked it
Great book
Richard
Jan 24, 2012 Richard rated it did not like it
Just leaves it hanging and uninteresting. This series is a waste of time.
Sarah Malatesta
Jun 10, 2016 Sarah Malatesta rated it it was amazing
Was a bit disappointed about the obvious secret that wasn't at all surprising. I was hoping that it would be an actual secret but wasn't.
Aaron Gladki
This book just sort of..... stopped. Nothing resolved other than a one paragraph hint at a sequel. Enjoyed the series, but the end of each book was a let down.
D.C. Belton
May 10, 2012 D.C. Belton rated it liked it
Very little in the way of keen insights. What was the point? Difficult to believe that young people would behave like lizards.
Daniel Hamad
The storyline, if nothing else, just keeps diving in this series. The first trilogy was better in every respect.

But what I really don't understand is how this is the last book in the trilogy.
Voss
Dec 16, 2014 Voss rated it it was ok
Una storia bellissima, con personaggi reali e inventati uno più affascinante dell'altro.
Ma scritto male male male.
Occorre una forza di volontà enorme per non scagliare il libro dalla finestra.
Elly Wendy
Apr 16, 2013 Elly Wendy rated it really liked it
Excellent. Insightful, intriguing, revealing, funny. Love this trilogy.
Peter Pier
Mar 13, 2008 Peter Pier rated it really liked it
...another still to be read
Brentman99
Dec 03, 2013 Brentman99 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who read the Balance series.
Another great book in a very enjoyable series. If you liked his Balance series, you will love this continuation of the timeline. A fun read.
Kallierose
Oct 01, 2009 Kallierose rated it really liked it
This was just as much fun to read as the rest of the series. If you're a fan of sci-fi alternative history books, you ought to give this series a shot.
  • Designated Targets (Axis of Time, #2)
  • Red Inferno: 1945
  • Fox at the Front (Fox on the Rhine, #2)
  • 1824: The Arkansas War (Trail of Glory, #2)
  • The Two Georges
  • Terrible Swift Sword (Lost Regiment, #3)
  • A Rebel in Time
  • Against the Tide of Years (Nantucket, #2)
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce
More about Harry Turtledove...

Colonization (3 books)
  • Second Contact (Colonization, #1)
  • Down to Earth (Colonization, #2)