Start by marking “Stormswept (Ingo, #5)” as Want to Read:
Stormswept (Ingo, #5)

Stormswept (Ingo #5)

An atmospheric and beautifully written adventure, from the award-winning author of INGO.

Morveren lives with her parents and twin sister Jenna on an island off the coast of Cornwall - an island that in the long distant past was devastated by a tidal wave, its halls and people lost. Only some of those taken by the sea may not have been lost at all! Now, as Morveren and Jenn
Hardcover, First, 352 pages
Published January 5th 2012 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Stormswept, please sign up.

Abubakar Asim no its the same series but doesn't continue the story of sapphire. it tells from the POV of morveren and her sister...

???
Mar 27, 2012 ??? rated it it was amazing
I've always loved the Ingo books and this was just the cherry on top of the cake. Writing is awesome believable goodness (and I've always maintained that, that a fantasy book shouldn't be realistic so much as believable) and beautiful pacing and characterisation sigh. This stuff is like Animorphs for me, I love it so bad.

I do miss stories about Sapphire, Connor, Faro, Elvira (dislike) and Rainbow (*squeal*!) but really after The Crossing of Ingo I wasn't sure how much could be done.

The only thin
Michelle (Much Loved Books)
When I first received my copy of Stormswept I was unsure of whether I would be able to read it without having read any of the previous books in the series. I was happy to find that Stormswept stands alone by itself as a great read and I did not feel like I had missed out on any of the plot or continuing story by not having read any of the other books.

Stormswept is about a girl called Morveren who lives with her family on an tiny island, and on helping search for a missing sailor stumbles upon Ma
The Sweet Bookshelf
Jan 09, 2012 The Sweet Bookshelf rated it really liked it
If you've never read any middle grade, you are missing out! This story is so pure. Stormswept is so well written. It is almost lyrical, like music.

I've not read a Mer story in awhile, and the summary intrigued me. I'm so glad I picked it up. I loved it! Morveren lives by the sea and finds a Mer Boy who has been beached. With her twin sister, she gets him to safety in a pool of water close by. But, not back in the sea. While Malin is trying to recover, Morveren is trying to find out how to make
Jackie
May 16, 2017 Jackie rated it liked it
I love the Ingo books but I was a little disappointed with this one (but not so much that I read it all in an evening!).

This is the fifth Ingo book but the first without Sapphire and Connor. This one instead stars Morveren and Jenna, twins who live on a tiny island off the coast of Cornwall.

One day in October, there is a terrible storm and a ship is wrecked and the sailors lost to sea. 5 out of 6 are picked up but one is missing. The next day everyone goes out to look for him, but Morveren fin
Sue Ann Lim
Feb 06, 2012 Sue Ann Lim rated it liked it
Getting straight to the point, Stormswept was just OK for me. It wasn't good, but it wasn't bad either. I did not like this as much as the other four books in the Ingo series. The ending in Crossing of Ingo was one of my favs so far. I was hoping for more of what I read in those for books but I was kinda disappointed.

When I finished this book, I felt lost. I felt as if I read a lot and yet understood nothing. There was not enough of character development in Stormswept (for me). There was not e
Kristine
Aug 19, 2013 Kristine rated it really liked it
Given my current schedule,I can't believe I read this in two days flat and neglected other more pressing issues *coughs* like homework *coughs* Anyway,it has been a long time since I last read a book from the 'J' section in the public library,and I have to say that this sequel to the Ingo series did not disappoint. I first read the Ingo series when I was in primary school and I remember being absolutely enchanted by and so passionate about it. So,it had all the charm that Ingo held (can you resi ...more
Selah Bell
Oct 25, 2012 Selah Bell rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Morveren and her twin sister live on an island. They know the tales of how a giant wave came and swept away the land connecting them to rest of the country. They think they're conntent with the life they know. Thery think they know everything about themselves. But when Morveren finds a young mere-man trapped and injured, everything about her seems to be different. What is different about her? Why is her twin so different to her now? What is up with their younger brother?
Claire
Jan 11, 2012 Claire rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Great addition to the series though I still prefer the original characters but this was great and cant wait for the next one to come out.
Jessica Mooney
Jan 21, 2012 Jessica Mooney rated it it was amazing
this was amazing I kinda felt sorry that she never joined him. she choose family i hope make sequel for her and him.
Katie Patchell
Oct 20, 2016 Katie Patchell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-series
The first time I read Stormswept in 2011, I didn't like it.
I didn't understand the dynamics between characters, I thought the story was too different than the original Ingo books, and the ending left me confused.

But wow--my second re-read? I had SUCH a different reading experience. Backstory--The Ingo books mean a lot to me. The first time I picked up Ingo was on vacation in FL with my grandparents, and what better place to read a book about an 11 year old girl who loves swimming than by the b
Sally
Jan 10, 2017 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing... set on an island cut off from the mainland... surrounded by Mer... has that lovely, atmospheric, Celtic mythology kind of feel to it... and also works perfectly as a stand-alone novel as I was blissfully unaware that it's number FIVE in a series until I came here to review it! Definitely make me want to go back and read the earlier books.
Miriam Joy
I enjoyed this. It was interesting to explore Ingo with new characters from those in the main series, and from a different place. Morveren was an interesting character, although understandably pretty similar to Sapphire -- obsessed with the sea, but loyal to family -- so she didn't feel entirely new. I was also a bit unconvinced by how she didn't care that the island didn't have mobiles or WiFi, and wanted to stay there forever, because I'd expect a bit of wanderlust or dissatisfaction from some ...more
Michelle
Dec 19, 2016 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is the fifth book in the Ingo series. It is set in Ingo, but with different characters than the previous books. The humans in this story are a set of twins, Morveren and Jenna, along with their younger brother, Digory. They live on an island just off the coast, near a town that was lost to the sea. Morveren finds a Mer who has been stranded by a rogue wave. She must enlist her twin’s help to get him to a tide pool to recover before can figure out how to return him to the sea and the world o ...more
Heather
Jul 01, 2016 Heather rated it liked it
The front cover of "Stormswept" is enough to make anyone want to pick this book up and read it - it is extremely eye-catching. Having read the original "Ingo" series, I was eager to get my hands on this. I love Dunmore's writing, it is lyrical and has an almost dream-like quality to it, and the world of the mer people she creates is incredibly believable. However, I found this book slightly lacking. I felt it was aimed at a slightly younger audience than the "Ingo" series and it took two hundred ...more
Joanne
May 20, 2016 Joanne rated it it was amazing
If I could give more than 5 stars I would. This book is brilliant. The story is of a young girl called Morveren (who is a twin) who lives on an island off the coast of Cornwall. After a bad storm where a Polish carrier ship goes down, Morveren discovers a stranded Merman, and in her efforts to save him she learns a lot about herself, the island, the sea and her own family. Although the main character is 13/14, the story and plot is simple yet very strong and I think will be enjoyable for any age ...more
Shandy Yeo
Judul: Stormswept (The Ingo Chronicles #5)
Penulis: Helen Dunmore (12 Desember 1952)
Publikasi: United Kingdom, 1 Januari 2012

Setelah melihat adanya buku kelima seri Ingo di internet, saya pun menebak-nebak, kapan akan diterjemahkan ke Indonesia. Tidak puas kalau di lemari ada empat buku sebelumnya tapi buku kelima malah tidak ada.

Pengarang kembali memunculkan pergolakan panjang dalam diri tokoh. Bedanya, kali ini tokoh utamanya adalah orang yang berbeda. Secara keseluruhan, gaya penulisannya sama
Mar 31, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
I wasn’t sure how good this book would be as it is set in the same world as the Ingo series, but follows different characters. However I was intrigued to re-enter the world of Ingo and so decided to give it a read.
This book was just as good as the original series. It had a slightly different focus with Morveren entering Ingo comparatively little compared to Sapphy in Ingo. The story was much more land based, especially as Malin was trapped in the pool.
I really liked Morveren’s little brother, bu
Stina
Jul 14, 2012 Stina rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
When I saw this book was at chapters...I nearly pulled my hair out. I could not believe it had been there all that time and I hadn't know. Usually when one of her books comes out in britain I'm dying inside waiting for it to come to Canada. How was I not all over this? oh well, I have it, I've read it, and my craving for more of Ingo has been satisfied. I don't even care if it was all new characters. It is still the same Ingo. The place that doesn't allow you to make any mistakes. Because it mak ...more
Alyson
Sep 17, 2015 Alyson rated it really liked it
I'd not read any of Helen Dunmore's Ingo series before and was pleasantly surprised when I stumbled on this one. It is the story of twins who live on an island. The island has a legend surrounding its creation and this is linked to the story of Jenna and Morveren. Morveren's discovery of a mer boy washed up on the shore and her bid to rescue him nearly divides the twins and costs them to lose their younger brother.
The story is beautifully written with great descriptions of the sea and traveling
Maya Widiatmoko
Feb 03, 2015 Maya Widiatmoko rated it it was amazing
Buku2 gini yg bikin mood baca q balik lg. And baca buku seru emang ngga butuh waktu lama. Aq suka Ingo. Seluruh seri-nya! Disini kaum mer ngga seserem and segalak pas Shapire bisa ke Ingo. Tp aq suka Morveren. Karena justru dia yg lebih dewasa dr Jenna, meskipun orang2 berpikir sebaliknya. Jenna terlalu baik dan naive. Morveren rela berkorban dan tercabik antara dua dunia. Yg patut di salahin ya yg ngasih dia nama Morveren.
Katy
Dec 10, 2012 Katy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves mermaids and other supernatural creatures/magic
I loved this book! I never actually thought that Helen Dunmore was going to write another mer book after Crossing of Ingo, but she did, and I have to say that I was ecstatic when I found it in the library! The books in the Ingo Series are some of the very few books about mermaids that I like!

I hope that she'll write another book, otherwise I shall find myself trying to fill a large hoel in my reading soul with lots of vampire rubbish (not all vampire stuff is rubbish, but Ingo is better).
Belle
Oct 25, 2012 Belle rated it liked it
Pam

do not have to read the others in the series to enjoy this one... series..

good for intermediates will have to check if works for gr 5 and 6....
The Styling Librarian
Stormswept – The Ingo Chronicles by Helen Dunmore – Fantasy – 5th grade and up – Really enjoyed this stand alone book, was missing Ingo and this fulfilled my needs for visiting Ingo again. Twins living on an island that hasinteresting background connected tothemer/Ingo… Loved the connection to violin playing and little brother. Great adventure. Recommended.
Tressa
Good book but certainly not as good as the other 4 books in the Ingo series. I found the twins in this a little annoying and couldn't see what the character Bran & his Dad really added! However, it is a young adults book, probably aimed for about 12 years plus so I shouldn't judge it by adult standards. Had I been 12 years old again, I'd probably have given it 4 stars!!
Jenna
Stormswept was a real struggle for me to get through. The writing was repetative and dull, the characters were basic with no depth and there was hardly a plot. It felt as though pretty much nothing happened and was 250 pages too long.
Serendipity
I didn't like this book as much as the previous books in the Ingo Quartet with Sapphire and her friends. Still well-written with Dunmore's lyrical style and voice, but I liked the characters in the Ingo Quartet better.
Holly
Dec 12, 2011 Holly rated it it was amazing
To my knowledge, this book has still not been published in nor made available in America. I purchased my copy in £ from a company on amazon.uk. That said, it was a wonderful read and for those of you in love with Ingo, well worth the trouble of Rosing from overseas.
Ally
Aug 17, 2015 Ally rated it it was amazing
I haven't read the rest of the books in the series, but this one seemed to be a standalone so I grabbed it. Loved it. Just ... loved it. Cracked it open, started reading, and sat there in the same spot till I was finished.
Freefallen ~ YA Reviewer
Jan 11, 2012 Freefallen ~ YA Reviewer rated it really liked it
"Yet another imaginary delight from Helen Dunmore. She can make you picture things so clearly in your mind, and never fails in delivering that sense of realism. This book was even more special for me because I've been to the locations hinted at within. This is a very beautiful read."
  • Lucy (Daughters of the Sea, #3)
  • Siren's Storm (Siren's Storm, #1)
  • Siren's Call (Dark Tides #1)
  • In Great Waters
  • Merrow
  • Fathom
  • Ascension (Water, #1)
  • The Secret of the Emerald Sea
  • Selina Penaluna
  • Forbidden Sea (Forbidden Sea, #1)
  • Teenage Mermaid
  • Tidal Whispers
  • Waking Storms (Lost Voices, #2)
  • Mermaid Park
  • Real Mermaids Don't Hold Their Breath (Real Mermaids, #2)
  • Evergreen (Mer Tales, #2)
  • The Moon and the Tide (Marina's Tales, #2)
  • Dark Water (Siren, #3)
I was born in December 1952, in Yorkshire, the second of four children. My father was the eldest of twelve, and this extended family has no doubt had a strong influence on my life, as have my own children. In a large family you hear a great many stories. You also come to understand very early that stories hold quite different meanings for different listeners, and can be recast from many viewpoints ...more
More about Helen Dunmore...

Ingo (5 books)
  • Ingo (Ingo, #1)
  • Tide Knot (Ingo, #2)
  • The Deep (Ingo, #3)
  • The Crossing of Ingo (Ingo, #4)