Doctor Who: The Natural History of Fear (Big Finish Audio Drama, #54)

Doctor Who: The Natural History of Fear (Big Finish Doctor Who Audio Dramas #54)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  15 reviews
IT IS A CRIMINAL OFFENCE TO COPY OR ATTEMPT TO COPY ANY PERSONALITY OR MEMORY-RELATED ARTICLE SHOWN OR DISPLAYED IN THIS PUBLIC THEATRE, INCLUDING THIS WARNING. PUNISHMENT OR CONVICTION IS AN UNLIMITED REDUCTION OF AUTHORISED OVERTIME HOURS AND TOTAL PERSONALITY REVISION. YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO BRING ANY JUKEBOX OR RECORDING EQUIPMENT INTO THIS PUBLIC THEATRE. THIS WILL...more
Unknown Binding
Published February 2004 by Big Finish Productions

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Well, this was a lot better, if very, very confusing much of the time. Basically, the three regular voices - Charley, C'rizz and the Doc are heard playing a succession of characters, as the bodies they are in are wiped of memories and reprogrammed when they run afoul of the 1984-esque city state they live in. It's a mish mash of that aforementioned dystopia, a dash of V For Vendetta and a smidgeon of metafictional pomo-lite. In short, I am not deeply impressed by the plot, even though many fans...more
Deborah
Confusion and altered personalities and a dystopia, oh my!
Christopher Buchanan
A vintage 1984 with a bouquet of 12 Monkeys, some Blade-runner spice and a slight Matrix after taste. I absolutely loved this one. It was another experimental, trans-dimensional set up with a great deal of weirdness and sound play that worked out to great affect in this one. The title sequence even works into the story and when the Light City bulletins popped up it gave me a chill. Paul McGann and India Fisher are absolutely brilliant in this. Love, love, loved it! Great listen.
Angela
This is an unconventional story. People who sound like the Doctor and his companions are part of a big brother type society. They are doing the worst thing possible, asking questions. It's a clever story that has some very good twists. The only reason I gave it 3 stars was that I felt that there were an awful lot of unanswered questions at the end. All the actors give great performances. A good listen.
Mel
I did enjoy this. It was nice to listen to a story that was so different from all the others. Paul McGann did a really great job in this. The only short fall was that the dystopian society was so closely modelled on 1984. Given how many different dystopia and alternate realities Philip K Dick has come up with it would have been nice to have seen them have had a bit more originality in the story. The different twists and turns were very good, each episode revealing more but it was a bit confusing...more
Drew
A highly experimental story. It's important to understand that we're dealing with an unreliable narrator here, which makes for a difficult tale. The Doctor, Charley, and new companion C'Rizz arrive in Light City -- your typical utopian dystopia -- and upset the status quo to an alarming degree.

This one needs to be listened to at least twice -- a second time after the paradigm-shifting fourth part calls into question everything from the first three parts.
Devin Harvey
This audio was another one of my favorites. The random announcements from Light City and the whole setting gives it almost a "Big Brother" or "1984" vibe, which is quite eerie. It starts off a little confusing and somewhat slow, but it quickly gains momentum and turns into an eerie tale with an amazing plot twist. It took a couple listens, but it has quickly grown on me!
Nicholas Whyte
I thought that The Natural History of Fear was going to be rubbish as well, as it seemed that we must find out eventually that there is some secret plan that the Doctor and companions are working on. But it didn't come, and didn't come, and so the eventual revelation of What Was Really Going On totally subverted my expectations.
Pete
Big Finish's work can get a bit repetitive. Doctor arrives on a planet, bad guys show up, run down some tunnels, explosion, off to the next adventure.

This one's different. This play really uses the format to its utmost. And it's really, really good. Listen to it without getting spoiled.
Noah Soudrette
A stunningly ambitious story from Jim Mortimore that has more twists than a twizler. This is Doctor Who/1984 with a dash of insanity thrown in. There are many thematical layers here (reincarnation, identity, etc). It's too much to cover in a small paragraph. Try it for yourself.
Steven
In Light City, a prole can remember details from the Information which have not yet been shown, about the three characters the Doctor, Charley and C'rizz, and is brought before the Editor for daring to ask Questions, a terrible Thought Crime.
Anne Barwell
Brilliant with a lot of social commentary and digs at the series itself. Loved the twist at the end - I need to go and relisten knowing that now. It sheds a different light on the whole story.

Mary Smithz
The best dystopia. I would like to read the script, because it could be the great book also.
Maya Granger
Do you ever listen to an audiobook and just squeal occasionally because it's wonderful?
Janina
Jul 22, 2013 Janina added it
Shelves: doctor-who
happiness through acceptance

productiovity through happiness
Wart Hill
Wart Hill marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Jim Mortimore is a British science fiction writer, who has written several spin-off novels for popular television series, principally Doctor Who, but also Farscape and Babylon 5.

When BBC Books cancelled his Doctor Who novel Campaign, he had it published independently and gave the proceeds to a charity – the Bristol Area Down Syndrome Association. He is also the writer of the Big Finish Doctor Who...more
More about Jim Mortimore...
Doctor Who: Blood Heat Clark's Law Doctor Who: Eye of Heaven Doctor Who: Beltempest Parasite