Start by marking “Fort Pillow” as Want to Read:
Fort Pillow

Fort Pillow

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In April 1864, the Union garrison at Fort Pillow was comprised of almost six hundred troops, about half of them black. The Confederacy, incensed by what it saw as a crime against nature, sent its fiercest cavalry commander, Nathan Bedford Forrest, to attack the fort with about 1,500 men. The Confederates overran the fort and drove the Federals into a deadly crossfire. Only ...more
Published May 16th 2006 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Fort Pillow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fort Pillow

Walt O'Hara
For the life of me, I'm not entirely certain why I'm following up a very disappointing Harry Turtledove book (Give Me Back My Legions! with another Harry Turtledove book, but everybody should have a second chance, so why not. I suspect one of the major failings of the previous novel was that very little was written about it by ancient historians, and the plot is pretty linear to stretch out over the course of 3 years. With Fort Pillow: A Novel of the Civil War, Turtledove sets up a very similar ...more
Diane A Brown
A vivid and intense look into the horror and brutality of the civil war…..

Nathan Bedford Forrest, a ruthless commander for the Confederate army, and his troops, approached Fort Pillow as if on wings. His men were driven by hatred for the escaped colored slaves and the Union army that trained them. Spurred on through the swamps and bogs, rain and cold by the demanding Nathan Forrest they reached Fort Pillow exhausted. However, fatigue quickly gave away to their desire to punish those sons-a-bitch
Lauren
This book really pissed me off. Not because it was badly written, but because I've never actually read a book in which the atrocities of the civil war were so carefully laid out. If you are like me and believe that it is so much more than a sin to hate a person for any reason, let alone because of something as irrelevant as skin color or ethnic group, you will probably also be really pissed off after reading this book.

I did some additional background reading on Nathan Bedford Forest, the Confed
Chad
A good fictional account of the Civil War Battle at Fort Pillow. I enjoyed this audio book on my commute to and from work. I looked forward to getting into the car so that I could continue this story. Mr. Turtledove does a good job in presenting the horrors of war, but the excessive use of vulgar language took away from the overall story.
Robert
A very well written acount of the battle for Fort Pillow during the Civil War. With a blend of historical fact and fiction author Harry Turtledove brings to life the details surrounding the battle. A very enjoyable book for Civil War buffs and anyone that enjoys reading about the history that shaped our great nation.
Bill
Up close and personal look at the Battle of Fort Pillow, Tennessee during the American Civil War. The Federal troops which defended Fort Pillow were Tennessee "Tories" and black freedmen. After the Confederate offer of surrender terms were rejected, the Confederate troops overran the fort and few prisoners taken.
Roger Taylor
An interesting novel about one of the most controversial incidents in the American Civil War.
Boyd
An intense read that goes into the tragedy at Fort Pillow; Nathan Bedford Forrest makes his presence felt.
Russell Dixon
Interesting look at battle in the Civil War
Clay Davis
A well told story about a Civil War battle.
Ray F
very good book i loved it
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Scott Gardner
Scott Gardner marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Sandmancpp
Sandmancpp marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Stefan
Stefan marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
  • Von Ryan's Express
  • Rough Cider
  • The Emperor's General
  • Fields of Honor: Pivotal Battles of the Civil War
  • Until the End (U.S. Civil War, #2)
  • Kristallnacht: Prelude to Destruction
  • A Mystery of Errors (Shakespeare & Smythe, #1)
  • The Forlorn Hope
  • The Mammoth Book of Alternate Histories
  • A Time for Trumpets: The Untold Story of the Battle of the Bulge
  • The Devil's Disciples: Hitler's Inner Circle
  • Velvet, Vol. 1: Before the Living End
  • Marching Through Georgia (Draka, #1)
  • Churchill, Hitler and "The Unnecessary War": How Britain Lost Its Empire and the West Lost the World
  • The Generals (Brotherhood of War, #6)
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce
More about Harry Turtledove...
The Guns of the South In the Balance (Worldwar, #1) How Few Remain (Timeline-191, #1) Tilting the Balance (Worldwar, #2) Striking the Balance (Worldwar, #4)