Start by marking “Il teatro delle ossa” as Want to Read:
Il teatro delle ossa
Preview

Il teatro delle ossa (Sebastian Becker #1)

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  290 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Inghilterra, 1888. Una serie di orribili delitti sta insanguinando le Midlands quando una soffiata attira l’attenzione degli investigatori sulla compagnia teatrale di Edmund Whitlock, impegnata in una tournée nei teatri di provincia: le date del cartellone coincidono con quelle dei macabri ritrovamenti di ragazzini seviziati. L’attenzione della polizia si concentra su Tom ...more
Published (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Il teatro delle ossa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Il teatro delle ossa

Maya Panika
A fast paced thriller with a touch of the supernatural. The Kingdom of Bones starts out a regular Victorian crime story with a dash of limelight and greasepaint, but quickly develops into something more deeply nuanced; a supernatural tale, peopled with strange and shady characters; a tale of obsessive, unrequited love.

The story opens in the world of Victorian British provincial theatre, where Tom Sayers, a once-successful professional boxer, is now stage manager with a touring company. Set up fo
Lee
I found the book to be an interesting thriller. Tom Sayers, an accused killer, must clear his name and save the woman that he loves. It traces Sayers journey from England to the United States where is he looking for the "Wanderer," a creature that has sold his soul to the devil in exchange for a very long life and a life without guilt. This is an excellent thriller with great character development and suspense.
Barb
I recently read 'The Bedlam Detective' which featured Sebastian Becker, former Pinkerton Detective, and later discovered Becker made a previous appearance in Gallagher's 'The Kingdom of Bones' published in 2007. So, of course, I had to read it. It's hard not to compare the two books, I liked them both. Now I'm a big fan of Sebastian Becker's and can't wait for Gallagher to publish the third stand-alone novel featuring the detective.

I liked the story line in 'Kingdom' as well as the characters. I
Bookmarks Magazine

The Brit Stephen Gallagher isn't new to genre fiction, having published more than a dozen novels and collections, most recently The Painted Bride (2006), The Spirit Box (2005), and Out of His Mind (2004). The Kingdom of Bones does not masquerade as a historical novel. Rather, despite some slow spots and anachronisms, it succeeds as a thriller that perfectly captures the Victorian era's culture. Thanks to attentive research, Gallagher's narrative tapestry

Niki Costantini
Comincio col dire che sul mio giudizio (le due stellette) ha pesato per lo più la traduzione: l'ho trovata piuttosto scialba e con più di una imperfezione, fin troppo moderna per un romanzo storico come questo.
Per il resto si tratta di un discreto romanzo di puro intrattenimento, che non pretende di essere nulla di più. L'autore è riuscito a mettere insieme un prodotto piutosto accattivante: una trama avvincente molto cinematografica, una buona parte di gotico, un tocco di soprannaturale, un po
Wolf
'The Kingdom of Bones' is a solidly entertaining crime thriller. It blends elements of the detective story, the gothic or supernatural thriller and historical novel artfully together.
It is easy to read and you'll find yourself quickly drawn into the story. Its historical setting (late Victorian and Edwardian England and America) is well and, generally, convincingly drawn. It is to its credit that minor quibbles (would hotel staff have worn name plates in this age?) stand out because we generally
Laurie
“The Kingdom of Bones” is a mystery, and a book about the supernatural, but mostly it’s a book about obsessive love.

Tom Sayers, ex-boxer and manager of a small theatrical troupe, is in love with Louise Porter, the troupe’s ingénue. Sadly for him, she is infatuated with the troupe’s young lead, who is being groomed by the owner of the troupe. It’s obvious he’s being groomed to replace him on stage, but what most don’t realize is that he’s also set to take over a far darker role from his mentor.
T4ncr3d1
"Se l'amore può redimere, allora sappi che sei già stata redenta molte volte."

Uno straordinario romanzo gotico, scritto egregiamente da un autore che si intende del genere. Un libro che incanta e che tiene viva la suspence e l'attenzione del lettore fino alla fine. Un finale forse prevedibile, ma comunque bellissimo.
Mi è piaciuta tantissimo (e questo è sorprendente!) l'ambientazione: una Londra oscura e gotica tra Ottocento e Novecento. Lo stile è semplice nella sua narrazione in terza persona,
Susie
Morbidly fascinating. Bram Stoker is one of the characters and he is probably the one who seems most everyday. Great job on time period and characters and glimpses of theater life in London and in U.S.Mkaes me want to read more bios of Henry Irving and Bram Stoker too.
Trilby
This is tailored to my current reading tastes: an historical/detective/mystery/thriller. Gallagher's novel is centered around the fictitious version of a real person: bare knuckle fighter Tom Sayers. Gallagher's impressive historical research shows in the realistic recreations of 1880's Manchester and London and turn-of-the-century Philadelphia, Richmond, and New Orleans. As with even the best historical thrillers, some of the plotting is unlikely to the extreme, but this is offset by the consis ...more
Xarah
Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It was not quite what I was expecting; the book summary made it sound more "thrilling." Despite this, I finished the book in just a few days. The most surprising thing was the fact that all the violent sections in the book were not drawn out, which left the reader filling in blanks (which is probably more intense and terrifying than being told what exactly was happending).

The book would have been more thrilling if the history of the Wanderer was explained. T
Diane Clavette
A curious tale, which aroused curious thoughts. Questions emerged about the power of beliefs, morals and how the period in which one lived has a great role in shaping each one of us - again, nature vs nurture. The unusual premise of the story within the story was totally engaging. A totally interesting tale, thought provoking, unusual and entertaining. Not what I expected, so pleasantly pleased to be so surprised. Well worth reading.
AmbushPredator
A nicely atmospheric tale from a master storyteller, this combines gothic notes with an old fashioned mystery come redemption tale. The flashbacks are nicely drawn, and it leaves you wanting more of the characters. Handily, Sebastian Becker appears in the sequel, which I've just bought.
Mariana Rios
Muy buen libro. Desde el primer asesinato la atención se centra en tratar de resolver los misterios qué se desencadenan, qué incluso terminado el libro, no se resuelven y causan que la imaginación pregunte, por cuál era la verdadera historia y qué pasó con el señor y la señora sin habla.
Cate
I really liked this story--the characters were complicated enough to keep my interest, and the settings were all wonderfully detailed and not often written about. I was a bit surprised when the story began to lean towards the supernatural, but it did not detract from the story. My only complaint was that every now and then the story seemed to drag slightly--I caught myself wondering how this story could span over so many years. All things considered, this was really exciting, and I would love to ...more
Sally
This wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but I liked it nonetheless. It wasn't the best thriller I've ever read, nor was it the worst. I liked the addition of Bram Stoker, and thought that made it a little more kitsch. As for the storyline, I thought some more description of the Wanderer was necessary, though I understand why Gallagher didn't add it. Overall, I certainly enjoyed the more psychological aspects of this, and thought that both Sayers and Becker were good characters.
April
In the end I couldn't bring myself to really like the book. The beginning was slow to draw me in but then it got really good. Then halfway through the book it became a supernatural story that I wasn't expecting to read at all; and not in a good way.
Carolyn
It starts off as a fun 19th century detective novel, but then about halfway through it turns into that Denzel Washington movie "Fallen" with some kind of mystical demon motivation angle. It is never quite clear whether the demon is real or whether the killers are so caught up in the idea of the demon that they fool themselves into thinking that they have no choice but to make people suffer. So kind of weird, but good.
Nicole Shelby
I never heard of this book before I picked it up from the library. I decided to read it solely because this review was written on the cover: "If thriller reading were a sin, Stephen Gallagher would be responsible for my ultimate damnation. His work is fast paced, well written, infused with a sense of dark wonder, and altogether fresh."

Koontz has earned my appreciation.
Chris
I quit reading about halfway through because it just wasn't going to get any better. The plot was murky and the author seemed to be making it up as he went along rather than having a clear idea of what the book was going to be about in the first place. Reasonably interesting characters (including Bram Stoker) in search of a plot. It wasn't bad--it just wasn't very good.
Heather
An interesting take on your typical murder mystery. Gallagher takes a little of the "mystery" out of the novel through his choice of story setup, however it is still an interesting historically-based story. One of my favorite draws is the fact that the main character, Sebastian Becker, is not infallible, unlike so many other murder-mystery characters.
Rosie L.
Feb 28, 2008 Rosie L. rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rosie by: BookMarks
A mystery-thriller set in England and the U.S. in the early 1900s. It's the story of a former boxer who is running after the woman he loves, who just happens to become the "Wanderer." Luckily the gruesome parts were not given in detail. Suspenseful writing, but left a lot unexplained about who or what the "Wanderer" is and why.
RosieL.
Lani Neumann
Not as heavy as the title sounds. Interesting use of real people - Bram Stoker - in a fictional mystery that takes you into the world of turn of the century traveling theater performers and a private detective who must know what happened in one of his oldest unsolved cases. A great subway read!
Karyl
A look into theater management of another century ago, and a touch upon the legend that might have inspired Bram Stoker to write Dracula. Very interesting read, without explicit gore, and I kept having to drag it out to savor it.
John Caron
Many twists and turns on this macabre murder mystery. The first on the Sebastian Becker series (although I read the second book first). The third in the series is being written and I look forwArd to it.
Michelle Goodall
Victorian crime thriller with a hint of the supernatural and Bram Stoker starring as a key character. The stoic boxing champion Tom Sayers reminds me of Dickens' Joe Gargery. A brilliant read.
Frank
Entertaining period thriller, picked up around page 50 after a slow start (almost stopped reading). Characters felt were somewhat artificial and unconvincing but they kept the story moving.
J. Ewbank
Not my kind of novel. The plot however, is interesting and a bit unusual. Would not consider reading it again.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Chris Hess
This is a fast moving page turner. That you have problems putting down, Get in the English theater, Philadelphia, Richmond and New Orleans it speaks to the demons in the human soul.
  • Ratcatcher (Matthew Hawkwood, #1)
  • The Poisoned Island
  • The Solitary House
  • Critique of Criminal Reason (Hanno Stiffeniis, #1)
  • Letters From a Murderer: The First Jameson & Argenti Investigation
  • The Frightened Man (Denton, #1)
  • Goodnight Sweet Prince (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #1)
  • Some Danger Involved (Barker & Llewelyn, #1)
  • A Dissection of Murder (Dr Dody McCleland, #1)
  • The Rhetoric of Death
  • The Arnifour Affair (Colin Pendragon Mysteries, #1)
  • The Mangle Street Murders (The Gower Street Detective, #1)
  • The Pleasures of Men
  • The Broken Token
  • The Railway Detective
  • The Pericles Commission (The Athenian Mysteries, #1)
  • The Yard (The Murder Squad #1)
  • The Keeper of Secrets (Tobias Campion, #1)
Also wrote two novelizations of his Doctor Who under the pseudonym John Lydecker.

** Photo by Lisa Bowerman **
More about Stephen Gallagher...

Sebastian Becker (2 books)
  • The Bedlam Detective (Sebastian Becker, #2)
The Bedlam Detective (Sebastian Becker, #2) Doctor Who: Terminus (Target Doctor Who Library) Doctor Who And Warriors Gate Valley of Lights Chimera