Ferrets For Dummies

Ferrets For Dummies

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Slinky, lightening fast, mischievous, and smarter than many people you know, ferrets, like their otter cousins, are the merry pranksters of the animal world. Ferrets are also inveterate thieves who'll steal just about anything that isn't nailed down and spirit it off to their hidey-holes. But, as most ferret owners will tell you, the thing those fuzzy little balls of energ...more
Paperback
Published October 5th 2000 by For Dummies

To ask other readers questions about Ferrets For Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ferrets For Dummies

Kristen
I had previously owned 3 ferrets, who were quite a wonderful business to have. Now that I am a Stepmom, I am considering getting a ferret for my son. I called the local ferret rescue and spoke with the woman for about an hour discussing what we were looking for and what she had. She informed me that she would feel much happier if I purchased this book and read it with my son since it has been over 10 years since I have owned a ferret.

I purchased the book used and my 7 year old and I sat down and...more
Jen
I learned a lot from this book, but one major oversight made me want to give this book one star. If you own ferrets, for the love of God, give them a treat when they use the litter box. The author suggests not to do this because they will pretend to poop in order to get treats -- which would you rather have, ferrets pretending to use the litter box to get treats, or ferret poop all over your house? I now have both. =]
Jaguar
I have never owned a ferret, nor have I ever really wanted one…but after attending a zoo program with a ferret, I like them. But don’t necessarily want one. I’ll stick to dogs, cats, and turtles. But I really like to learn information about animals and stuff, so this was one I decided to pick up. Now this is the first ferret information book I have ever read, and this is my opinion on the book. There may be better ones out there, but for now, here’s my thoughts: I think this had information for...more
Breanne Katherine
I just got two new ferrets whom are amazing yet quite a handful. I have never owned a ferret in my life before and so I began reading this book.

I found it very informative on a variety of ferret topics from grooming and diet, to playtime and naptime.

It's been very helpful for myself to understand the needs of my ferrets and to become the best ferret caretaker ever!

Plus, Kim's style of writing and her evident passion and love for these little fuzzballs is prominent and well delivered!
Rani
I found this book to be very helpful and also gave me many different options when it came to how to set up, where to buy, food and care. They give you many ideas as to where to buy things (such as websites and stores) and also gives you a background on the species which was surprisingly helpful. The content was simple and easy to understand while still giving you all the information you need. If you are a ferret owner or own a ferret (beginner or not) I would recommended this book.
Lauren
I had grabbed this book when I got my first ferret, and it had helped me immensely. I honestly had no prior knowledge of the critters before hand, so I read it cover to cover. Learned about their diet and what to look for ingredient wise when choosing their food, best type of bedding, cages, toys to play with, hygiene, health care.. Very highly recommend getting this book if you are considering getting a ferret.
Pj
A good start off point to gaining the knowledge needed to own a ferret. Widely available and fairly cheap. Although it is written from an American perspective and some of the practices mentioned are frowned upon here in the UK! Removal of scent glands wtf. Feeding of raisins?????
Sirdarksol
There is some good information in the book. Unfortunately, the craft is poor. Poor grammar and spelling abounds, and the book uses a lot of lingo. For example, ferrets are less often referred to as "ferrets" in the book they are referred to as cute nicknames such as "carpet shark."
angela
Dec 14, 2010 angela rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a ferret or those thinking about getting one
Shelves: reference
a very well written book that outlines the specific care of these beautiful animals. i have two ferrets and i cant tell you how much this book has been a god send. i would recommend this book to anyone who is thinking about or has a fuzzy. definitely worth the money.
Alexandra Kocik
Read this while considering purchasing my ferret, Skeever. Now continues to be flipped through when it comes to changing food or litter brands and ensure something he's dragging under the sofa isn't poisonous to him. Best dummies book I've ever purchased.
Samara Gagne
I keep this book on top of my ferret enclosure to have at hand if needed. Full of great information on diet, health and overall well-being, you can't go wrong with this edition. I learned a lot. Plus, woo hoo pictures!
Katie
Nice easy read, and I feel a little more prepared for ferret ownership than when I started! (Apparently what motivates me to finish a book is the promise of a pet)
Laurel
All you ever needed to know about ferrets and more. Good reading material for the future-ferret owner.
Cecile
A comprehensive owner's manual that covers everything you need to know about our weasely little friends.
Tina
This is the best book available on owning ferrets. The author came out with an updated edition in 2007.
Rosie C
The most informative book about ferrets that I have ever read.
Hill
Dec 29, 2007 Hill rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody wit Ferrets
This is the best ferret book I have found. Very informative.
Gretchen
This book helped me with SSSSOOOOOOO much! Loved it.
Kristi
The best book ever! A necessity for ferret lovers!
Definitive book on caring for carpet sharks.
Amber
A must-have reference if you own ferrets.
Ale
A great resource for any ferret owner.
Professor_D_Cobb
Wow. What incredible insight.
Crystal S
Crystal S marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014