Start by marking “The Christmas Gift/El regalo de Navidad” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Christmas Gift/El ...

Francisco Jiménez

The Christmas Gift/El regalo de Navidad

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  66 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews

With honesty and grace, award-winning author Francisco Jiménez shares his most poignant Christmas memory in this beautifully illustrated picture book. As Christmas approaches, Panchito can’t wait to see what present he gets. But on Christmas Day, he is disappointed when all he gets is a bag of candy, until he sees the gift his father gives his mother. Panchito then realize

Published November 15th 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Gift/El regalo de Navidad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Gift/El regalo de Navidad

Becky Villareal
Dec 29, 2014 Becky Villareal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Christmas Gift by Francisco Jimenez is a wonderful story about the life of migrant children. Having grown up with families like this, I could totally attest to it's validity.

When I read it to my class it was to teach them the lesson of Christmas and not to focus in so much on what presents they receive. These four and five year old students thoroughly enjoyed the story.

I know this is part of Francisco Jimenez's The Circuit and I would like to see more.
Dee
Dec 09, 2011 Dee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I felt like I stepped out of The Grapes of Wrath. This was a warm tender story of the true meaning of Christmas. A poor migrant family in California just scraping by have to move again to a work camp. It is wet and cold and too cold to pick the cotton but they have each other. It makes you grateful for the abundance we have now. Now those were hard times. John Steinbeck would have been proud of this book. Illustrated beatifully. When you can feel shivers or cold or wet or whatever you know the i ...more
Patricia
Jan 11, 2012 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. The story really touched me, and brought tears to my eyes and a lump to my throat. It is the true story, a recalled memory, of a boy's Christmas when his family was a migrant farm-working family in California. They were very poor, and he didn't get what he wanted for Christmas, but he realized he had what he needed, and that his father loved his mother. It is very sweet. It might be a bit intense for very young children, especially since there is no Santa who comes and saves t ...more
Davis
Dec 31, 2015 Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just beautiful
VegasGal
Oct 05, 2014 VegasGal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011, holidays
This is quite a different Christmas tale (told both in English and Spanish) from the "regular" happy ones lots of us grew up on where everyone has a happy life and an equally blissful Christmas filled with abundance. Although it's a sad story (the great illustrations really help bring the story to life), it teaches all who read about the real life of poor, migrant farm laborers and the real importance of the holiday, which is family and not necessarily lots of material items.
Iroquois
Jan 02, 2011 Iroquois rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Iroquois by: Raquel
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
pretty sad little story; it's bilingual true tale of a migrant farmworker boy and his family. They have to move just before Christmas and are not able to afford much but Christmas is near and so he worries. I won't tell the ending but it's definitely bittersweet, not HEA. I loved the art though.
Debbie K
May 02, 2011 Debbie K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am an elementary school librarian and this book is one of my must-reads each year! I start out asking each student one thing they want for Christmas and of course it is big and expensive! Once we have read the story, they don't seem quite as eager to "request" quite so much!
Nancy Schroeder
A migrant, Latin American family moves just prior to Christmas and is struggling with money. This bilingual story highlights the values associated with Christmas and family relationships.
Lizeth Gonzalez
Lizeth Gonzalez marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Nicole San
Nicole San marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Michelle Zanetti
Michelle Zanetti rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Henry Karimu
Henry Karimu rated it really liked it
May 17, 2016
Fernanda
Fernanda marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Jocey
Jocey marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Lara.B
Lara.B marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Marisa Macy
Marisa Macy marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Shannon Daniels
Shannon Daniels marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Strphanie
Strphanie marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Yalicsa
Yalicsa rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2015
Jim Hardwick
Jim Hardwick marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015
Sonia
Sonia rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2015
J Scotland
J Scotland rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Jaycie Cheatham
Jaycie Cheatham rated it it was ok
Nov 30, 2015
Jillian Wilhelm
Jillian Wilhelm rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Lexus
Lexus rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2015
Julia
Julia rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Francisco Jimenez emigrated from Tlaquepaque, Mexico, to California, where he worked for many years in the fields with his family. He received both his master's degree and his Ph.D. from Columbia University and is now chairman of the Modern Languages and Literature Department at Santa Clara University, the setting of much of Reaching Out. He is the award-winning author of The Circuit, Breaking Thr ...more
More about Francisco Jiménez...