Start by marking “The Roosevelts: An American Saga” as Want to Read:
The Roosevelts: An American Saga

The Roosevelts: An American Saga

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  25 reviews
A unique view of America's most powerful dynasty, related by bonds of love & ambition, & divided in an epic battle for the family legacy. Filled with anecdotes, this book presents familiar figures in a new light. B&W photos.
MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published January 27th 2010 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. (first published January 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Roosevelts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Roosevelts

Kama
I really liked this book -- it gave me an appreciation for Teddy Roosevelt and the Oyster Bay branch of the Roosevelt family. TR was very involved with his children and mostly, the children turned out well -- especially TR Jr. who served (voluntarily) in two world wars, and won the Congressional Medal of Honor. Having always been a staunch FDR and Eleanor Roosevelt supporter, I was disheartened at their lack of care for their children, who -- as a result of their inattention -- grew up insecure, ...more
Daniel Brown
Wow. I read this because I was always interested in FDR, but I learned so much about Teddy Roosevelt. He as a BADASS STUD!
This covered both families equally from the beginning up to the early 1990's and it showed so much of everyone's ambitions and the paths they took. However, the descendants of these families really turned out to be messed up kids. I wonder if the Kennedy family will vanish away like they did.
The beginning was exciting, but the end was sad and depressing. I will likely read
Carolyn
Although many books have been written about Theodore Roosevelt and Franklin Roosevelt individually, this book follows the dynasty from the arrival in the early 1600's of their Dutch ancestor who once here, purchased land to farm in what is now New York City. The book is extremely well researched and written. I enjoyed it thoroughly. It is truly an objective look at this powerful family. It is an unbiased look at how the two sides (Teddy/Oyster Bay Republican and FDR/Hyde Park Democrat) of this w ...more
Janice
Biography of the Roosevelt families; Theodore and Franklin. I read this book several years ago but had forgotten a lot of the details, including the fact that Franklin and his wife Eleanor were related to Theodore Roosevelt (TR and FDR were distant cousins, but Eleanor's father, Elliott was TR's brother). I had also forgotten the parallels in FDR's life to TR's, namely that he patterned his political career after TR's, intentionally trying to accomplish the same political victories as TR. Sadly, ...more
Megan
Cannot bring myself to continue listening to 19 hours of the Roosevelts story. In most instances very sad tale. I definitely was drawn to Theodore Roosevelt side of the family rather than the Franklin Delano Roosevelt side but both had their sad and sordid tales.
Lynn
Teddy vs Franklin and everyone in between is what this book is about. Each family branch thinks they are better than the other and dedicate themselves to proving it. Teddy, the Progressive in Republican clothing, is brilliant in every way but misguided...Franklin, the liberal Democrat, is tough, combative and bent on social engineering the whole American landscape...2 cousins who were President of the United States during very difficult times and we now live with their legacies, whether good or ...more
Wallace Kaufman
Compare TR and FDR and you have two very different personalities and approaches to America and its politics that helps bring into perspective the strengths, weaknesses and essential debate in how we are governed. A fair and clear eyed treatment.

Equally interesting are the insights into the nature of families and the relations between parents and children and among siblings. This component alone makes the book worthwhile regardless of a reader's interest in either history or politics.
Amber
This book was very informative about the Roosevelt family, with the details interweaving themselves starting with the great-great grandfathers of the first famous Roosevelt. Although, initially I wanted to read this book to learn about both Teddy and Franklin, I wound up being very interested in the details of both of their children. I was disappointed towards the end though, when the information continued to flow after Franklin and Teddy's death but with little insight to Eleanor's life.
Julie
The Rockefellers: An American Dynasty. 3 1/2 stars. Very well-researched, detailed biography of the Rockefellers spanning over 100 years. How the money way made, how the money was spent (and contributed to charities), the politics and relationships of the major players. Interesting, but at times a bit boring.
Carrie
I originally bought this book because of an interest in Eleanor Roosevelt and, to a lesser extent, FDR. However, after reading it, I found Teddy Roosevelt's family almost more fascinating. In any case, it was an excellent read and didn't venture into the land of boring history book at all (I was afraid of this).
Ilana Eisenhart
This was a wonderful biography of a dynamic family. It was easy to read and I couldn't put it down. A family tree is layed out to make it easy to keep track of all the family members. Anyone with an interest in American history or who has a love of biographies should place this book on their to-read list.
Pewterbreath
Peter Collier always writes about American Dynasties--he has a talent for it. Though there's much better books about individuals in this family, he somehow gets to the heart of how these families work.
Franny
Interesting story, but not the greatest writing or editing. I've already found three or four typos and quite a few very poorly constructed sentences. It's really a shame that I read this way!
John Stewart
Took me a couple times to finish. Rather long and slightly dry at points. Amazing at the humble begginings of a man whom would go on to become a family name and amass nearly unfathomable wealth
Jfarley
Gives both sides of the story, the Oyster Bay and Hyde Park clans, in their epic struggle to capture TR's legacy. This needs to be made into a movie... perhaps I need a new career?
Becky
This was a fascinating look at the Oyster Bay (Teddy) and the Hyde Park (FDR) Roosevelts, filled with insightful anecdotes into the characters of these political figures.
Linda
Interesting and dynamic contrast between the greatest environmentalist of US history and the war-monger, socialist relative. Extremely well written, factual, and unbiased.
Eileen
This was a good book - it had a lot of background information in it that I wasn't familiar with. I found it interesting, and the writing was fine.
Linda
Phew. Theodore and Franklin sure had dysfunctional families. This book gives a good overview of the target's lives as well as their kids' lives.
Susan Maciak
Feb 06, 2008 Susan Maciak rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: college students and history buffs
When I decided 15 years to read at least one book about each U.S. Presidents, the Roosevelts were the first to come to mind.
Jeffrey
I liked both Roosevelt and Kennedy, because he writes more about the people rather than just the history.
Timothy
A great account of the Roosevelt family including both Theodore's and FDR's side of the family.
Kirk Bower
Very detailed. If you want one read about the entire Roosevelt clan, this is it!
Jenny
Alright, so it's history gossip, but its pretty compelling stuff. Very enjoyable read.
Gary Turner
The more i read about the Roosevelts the more i appreciate them.
Beki
Beki marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Cardi
Cardi marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Franklin and Lucy
  • A Reporter's Life
  • Tales From The Tower Of London
  • Five Sisters: The Langhornes of Virginia
  • American Jennie: The Remarkable Life of Lady Randolph Churchill
  • The Scratch of a Pen: 1763 and the Transformation of North America (Pivotal Moments in American History)
Founder of Encounter Books in California, Collier was head publisher from 1998-05. He cofounded the Center for the Study of Popular Culture with David Horowitz. He does many projects with this red diaper baby turned rightwing zionist. He publishes on his website FrontpageMagazine. He was also coorganizer of 2nd Thoughts conferences for leftists who'd moved right.

Librarian Note: There is more than
More about Peter Collier...
The Kennedys: An American Drama Destructive Generation: Second Thoughts About the '60s Medal of Honor: Portraits of Valor Beyond the Call of Duty The Fords: An American Epic The Anti-Chomsky Reader