Start by marking “From Vines to Wines: The Complete Guide to Growing Grapes and Making Your Own Wine” as Want to Read:

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  184 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Create you own backyard winery! From breaking ground to savoring the finished product, Jeff Cox's From Vines to Wines is the most complete and up-to-date guide to growing flawless grapes and making extraordinary wine.

Wine connoisseurs, gardeners, and home winemakers will find the latest techniques in this fully revised and updated edition. With thorough, illustrated instru
Published February 1st 1999 by Storey Publishing (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about From Vines to Wines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Vines to Wines

Paula
Feb 15, 2015 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I reviewed this fascinating book for NetGalley.

I am fascinated by wine making. Though I will never grow my own grapes and make my own wine (living in a small condo places a large number of restrictions on having a garden, let alone a vineyard), making wine, in my opinion, is one of the most civilized and fulfilling activities possible.

Mr. Cox explains in great detail how to set up your own vineyard and process the harvested grapes to create the best wine possible . The book is appears to be very
Kim Schiavone
Mar 16, 2015 Kim Schiavone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: help, netgalley
*THIS WAS AN ARC RECEIVED FROM NETGALLEY IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW*

I love wine. I love drinking it. I love buying it. I love talking about it. I love sampling it at various wineries. This book was great. He starts at growing your own, discusses soil, techniques, plants, everything. He also discusses types, flavors, what can be added, how to change flavors, etc. It didn't stop at being a how-to book. It really added to my understanding of my favorite wines and how they become that way. I t
Robin
Jan 21, 2010 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book loaded with easy to understand basic information. Instructions are applicable for beginner to semi experienced wine grower. I keep this book out (it has many flagged pages for reference)
Casey Kirk
Oct 09, 2011 Casey Kirk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, but more for California. Covers a lot of material though and probably a first read for any interested viticulturalist.
AJ
Sep 13, 2010 AJ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm interested in possibly putting in a few vines of grapes to produce my own wine from scratch, instead of from juice. From Vines to Wines is a book to read if you own a lot of land and are interested in putting in a bunch of vines. I wound up skipping the first parts of this book just because I found them to be terribly unhelpful for a small-scale, grape growing newbie.

Wine is something that can be enjoyed by anybody, regardless of one's ability to afford wines that cost in the triple digits.
Nathan Burgess
Jul 11, 2016 Nathan Burgess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read for the grape growing portion...best explanation of pruning for next year's fruiting canes that I've found so far (with step by step pictures for the novice).
Dean
Jun 30, 2008 Dean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After a trip to San Francisco last year where my buddy Ben and I went up to Napa and Sonoma to check out the vineyards, I found myself more interested in the process of growing grapes and making wine. This book is a great combination of technical information about the two processes and a tone that makes it seem like you're learning about viticulture and enology from a new friend. Seems like a great start for the non-professional. It also opened up a whole new arena for my agricultural interests.
H L
Jul 18, 2008 H L rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad introduction to viticulture and winemaking, but it should be viewed as a general survey, rather than a production manual. One could succeed in growing some decent grapes and making some palatable wine following the instructions in this book, but if you want to take your grapes/wines to a level that approaches commercial quality, you'll need to invest in some more in-depth, professional books (and preferably, some course work and/or experience working at some operating vineyards and win ...more
Dan
Aug 05, 2008 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love demystifying things. The last one I figured out was ice cream, which I now make like a champ. BUT wine's a bit different. This book covers EVERYTHING having to do with wine production, from building trellises to which grapes on the vine ripen most, from chemical reactions to adding the dreaded sulfites. It's for the true wine geek-- and definitely for those who dream of becoming the next Gallo.

Cheers.
Chris
Nov 11, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My husband and I want to start a vineyard, and used this book as our resource. Great tips, hints and suggestions. We learned how to space rows and vines. How to create the trellises. Also, how and when to harvest. Now, if we only can make time to get it done.

My only disappointment was it dealt with warm weather grapes (California,) not those that are in our zone and climate.
Diana  Harper
Mar 01, 2015 Diana Harper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a lot of good information even for the backyard grower.
Kristi
Aug 17, 2013 Kristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, gardening, farming
A thorough primer on starting to grow your own grapes and make wine, from start to finish. Geared towards smaller scale, home-based winemaking. This book corroborated my experiences working in a research vineyard but gave further explanation that I was seeking on the processes. There are a lot of helpful resources in the appendices also.
Tristan
May 24, 2013 Tristan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent resource for a home vineyard. It is amazing how many ways the illustration Jesus used of the kingdom being like a vineyard, becomes more relevant and explodes with depth as you learn about these plants!
Rhi
May 13, 2010 Rhi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gifted
from MXM

A technical book that describes the basics of making wine, including introductory information about every aspect along the way. Oregon vineyard here we come!
William
As per the title, this book covers all the basics of growing grapes and making wine.

Although I am not going to make wine, it was interesting to read how it is done.
Virgilio Costa
May 15, 2015 Virgilio Costa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice book with handy knowledge about vines, wines with a nice approach to the technical stuff
Randy
Aug 12, 2009 Randy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Still in the early chpaters but very informative.
Nikki
Aug 23, 2010 Nikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: home wine-makers
Very informative and a great help.
Liltishy
Jan 05, 2013 Liltishy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found very helpful
Patrick Gouin
Patrick Gouin marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Caton Leigh
Caton Leigh marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Megan
Megan added it
Jun 20, 2016
Trenton
Trenton marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Doreen
Doreen rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Tim Boyden
Tim Boyden rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Tessa
Tessa marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Compleat Meadmaker: Home Production of Honey Wine from Your First Batch to Award-Winning Fruit and Herb Variations
  • The Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible
  • Harvests of Joy: How the Good Life Became Great Business
  • The Homebrewer's Garden: How to Easily Grow, Prepare, and Use Your Own Hops, Malts, Brewing Herbs
  • The Ansel Adams Guide: Basic Techniques of Photography, Book 1 (Ansel Adams Guide to the Basic Techniques of Photography, #1)
  • Small Scale Grain Raising: An Organic Guide to Growing, Processing, and Using Nutritious Whole Grains, for Home Gardeners and Local Farmers
  • The Market Gardener: A Handbook for Successful Small-Scale Organic Farming
  • Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening
  • Marketing High Technology
  • Engines of Creation 2.0: The Coming Era of Nanotechnology
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • Econometric Models And Economic Forecasts
  • The Pocket Parent
  • The Joy of Pickling: 300 Flavor-Packed Recipes for Vegetables and More from Garden or Market
  • The Best of Outside: The First 20 Years
  • Tramp Royale
  • The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times
  • Arctic Adventure: My Life in the Frozen North

“New York state grape scientists go so far as to say that 'the site characteristics of rain fall, soil nutrients, organic matter, high lime, soil texture and pH are minor compared with soil depth, temperature and replant status.” 2 likes
“Cold stabilization has these benefits, however: it gets rid of the crystals, which is nice in a cosmetic sense. It reduces the acidity slightly and softens the wine. The latter benefit is the chief one.” 1 likes