Start by marking “Talk to the Head Scarf” as Want to Read:
Talk to the Head Scarf

Talk to the Head Scarf

Emma was busy minding her own business when four little letters and one small number, BRCA1, threatened to turn her life upside down. Discovering the rare BRCA1 gene meant Emma had a 50 percent chance of developing ovarian cancer and an 85 percent chance of developing breast cancer. This book tells her story.
Published March 1st 2011 by Hodder Headline Ireland

To ask other readers questions about Talk to the Head Scarf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Talk to the Head Scarf

Leah
Mar 14, 2012 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Imagine you’re thirty-two, married, with two little children and you find out you’re carrying a deadly cancer gene? That was me in August 2005. I discovered I had the gene Brca1, which means a 50% chance of developing ovarian and an 85% chance of developing breast cancer. I had two options – wait for the big bad cancer wolf or have radical surgery. I chose the latter. Over the following year, I had a double mastectomy and both ovaries removed, which reduced my cancer risk to 5%. I was just ...more
Feb 22, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Never did I think that reading a book about a woman who is currently on her seventh bout of cancer would be so uplifting. Not only is this one incredible story but it really makes you stop and think about all of the little things you let yourself get upset over that don't really matter. Everyone is different and has their own way of dealing with big events in their lives. Me and Emma Hannigan have one thing in common. If I am upset about something I let myself have my sad day and then its time ...more
Carina McEvoy
Sep 15, 2016 Carina McEvoy rated it it was amazing
A brilliant read!
CK
Jul 08, 2014 CK rated it liked it
Shelves: real-life
In purchasing this book I did know I would be reading a story about cancer but I was pleasantly surprised by how well written it was and some of the humour that was throughout the book did help with the heavy subject matter, however I did feel that this book was more aimed at people/women who have been diagnosed with cancer.
This book contained what I'm sure is valuable information for someone who has had or has cancer I was reading as someone who has cancer in my family and although there were s
Carole
Oct 04, 2011 Carole rated it liked it
Emma is 32 she has the cancer gene
Her options are wait and see does she get it or have surgery to try and prevent it.
The book is Emma's journey with the disease and how she and her family deal with what life has thrown at them
There are times the book is boring others more then half way through when it is actually funny.
It is her third book and I suspect none of her books would have been printed except one of her best friends is the acclaimed author Cathy Kelly who encouraged her.
Her best book
Sharon Smyth
Apr 12, 2013 Sharon Smyth rated it it was amazing
What an honest, uplifting account of Emma's battle with her cancer. This book made me laugh and cry in equal measures. As I was dealing with my own illness at the time, I could relate to so much of what she had written in her book. It is a 'warts n all' account, but such a postive outlook, you can't help but admire her bravery, strength and tenacity. Well worth a read
Kat
Feb 12, 2013 Kat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emma is a beautiful writer so I liked this book very much, found the content sometimes hard to deal with and had to start another book whilst reading this but will definitely read more from this author as her first two are two of my favourite books. Thanks Emma for sharing your journey :)
Patricia Mccullagh
Mar 10, 2015 Patricia Mccullagh rated it really liked it
I read this book a few years ago but it was one of those books that was very thought provoking. It is well written and very sympathetically written from an author who has been through it herself.
Ghizlane
Nov 22, 2013 Ghizlane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely memoire! the first time to read someone's fight against cancer in a funny way! She is strong , a fighter, a good mother! I wish I could know how things are going now!
Aileen
Jul 01, 2011 Aileen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a brave lady that has beat cancer 6 times, a great book sad but funny at times, everyone should read this book, I would definetely recomend.
Diane
Jul 27, 2014 Diane rated it it was amazing
Emma juggles with Henry ( Cancer ) in an amazing and completely astonishing way - how she coped and is still coping is beyond words... she is awesome ... :)
Nicola
Nicola rated it it was ok
May 24, 2012
Judith Saunders
Judith Saunders rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Cliona
Cliona rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Orla
Orla rated it liked it
May 26, 2014
Maureen
Maureen rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2011
Susan Wilson
Susan Wilson rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2014
Doreen Dooley
Doreen Dooley rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2011
Zoe Hayes
Zoe Hayes rated it it was ok
Apr 23, 2015
Amy Walsh
Amy Walsh rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2013
Bri
Bri rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2012
Junita
Junita rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2016
Lorraine Bygraves
Lorraine Bygraves rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Aisling
Aisling rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2014
Niamh
Niamh rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2012
Tina
Tina rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2012
Zoe
Zoe rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2016
Kirsten C
Kirsten C rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Kerry Grantham reilly
Kerry Grantham reilly rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2014
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2012
I live in Bray, Co Wicklow with my husband Cian and our son Sacha and daughter Kim and Tom the cat. I'm 38 years old, but in my own head I still believe I'm 25. Every now and then, I look in the mirror and wonders what’s happened to the face I used to own.

In August 2005, I discovered I was carrying the potentially deadly cancer carrying gene, BrCa 1. In plain English, this meant I had a whooping 8
More about Emma Hannigan...