Start by marking “His Wife for One Night” as Want to Read:
His Wife for One Night

His Wife for One Night (Alatore #1)

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  196 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Jack McKibbon knows the score when he offers to marry his best friend Mia Alatore. He's fixing a bad situation for her--that's all--they "aren't" making a real life together. She wants to stay on the ranch and he's got his studies and inventions elsewhere. Still, this arrangement is a good deal for both of them.Until that one night...

A sexy interlude with Mia makes Jack re
Published February 1st 2011 by Harlequin (first published January 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about His Wife for One Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Wife for One Night

Saly
His Wife for One Night was a book that was slow to start but when it does it is really good. Jack is a scientist of some sort who works with drills in Africa along with his friend Oliver and others from the university. He's a nerd, too absorbed in his work. When the book opens Mia is visiting, Mia his childhood friend, who he regularly corresponds with but rarely sees. Mia who he married five years ago. He calls Mia to help save him from his dean's amorous wife and Mia comes. Mia has loved Jack ...more
Ridley
I don't really have a ton to say about this book other than that it was a mixed bag for me. While I really enjoyed the cast of characters immensely and was easily carried along with the story as everyone navigated their emotions and insecurities, it had a number of flaws that nagged at me. There was some pretty shameless sequel baiting, both with the neighbor Jeremiah (always referred to in the book as "the former rodeo star") and the heroine's sister Lucy, who clearly will headline the next boo ...more
Shannon Stacey
Based on the title and blurb, I expected this to be a lighter contemporary romance, despite being a SuperRomance. It was actually pretty dark and heavy in some places and very emotional overall.

I enjoyed the book overall and thought it was a pretty solid read. Sad in some places, very romantic in others. I would have given it four stars, but I didn't care for the heroine's actions at the end and there was a secondary thread that either has been left dangling for the next book in the series (whic
Carrie
3.5* I was very impressed with this book until 3/4th of the way through, when it started to lose focus and go in circles. At that point, the interactions between Mia and Jack got repetitive, simply restating the conflict but with no story development, no moving forward of the plot. Also at this point, Mia's mother and sister, Lucy, are introduced into the story. Neither character contributed anything worthwhile to the plot and felt more like filler...or the set-up for a sequel. If I had to guess ...more
Brianne
I loved this book! read most of it in one day when I was *supposed* to be doing other things. The characters in this one cuold be real people dealing with real problems, and that is something I really like in contemporaries (series or otherwise). I loved that both the hero and heroine had tough things to face and neither one got off easy. they both had to change and grow and take a chance, and I don't always find that in romance.

the secondary characters were awesome and an integral part of the s
Gail
Hero and heroine are in a marriage of convenience--he's off saving the world most of the time while she stays home running his family ranch. They've known each other forever and he married her to protect her from his abusive mother, who is now gone. She has been in love with him nearly as long as they've known each other, but he's shut down all his emotions (because of that abusive mom). He's getting tired of traveling, but doesn't know what else to do. And while he's in the states, exhausted, s ...more
Nicky
It was okay. I got exhausted with the back and forth after awhile, though.
Stephanie Doyle
Loved it. Another amazing story by Molly O'Keefe. Heartbreaking, heartwrenching until the very end... and then so completely satisfying once this couple figures out how to make it work.

She hits it out of the ballpark every time!
Maureen McGowan
What a clever, sexy and heartbreaking twist on a marriage of convenience story. Molly O'Keefe creates such true-to-life characters in her books. Loved it.
Hilcia
Grade 4.5/5.0 (B+)

I enjoyed the second book of this two-book series, Unexpected Family, but this first book, His Wife for One Night, was a great, great read! It's not just that the romance works between the protagonists, childhood friends who marry out of necessity and do not consummate the marriage until one decides that it is time for a divorce, it is also that O'Keefe builds this story with characters that truly become three dimensional to the reader.

I love the premise of this story. Mia and
Coleen Scott
I can't remember the last time I read a Harlequin! But having met the author in person at a local event and thoroughly enjoying her delightful sense of humor, I decided to pick up one of her books to read. This one is a contemporary romance set on a ranch, but it also had a great international twist with the hero devoting his career to building pumps and water systems in Darfur.

Jack and Mia are married in name only, apparently to ensure Mia and her family weren't ousted from their own ranch by
Ipshita
This was my first book by author Molly O'Keefe. I was only looking for a light harlequin read and the depth of characters in this book caught me by surprise. After enduring a hopeless love for her absent husband for years, Mia finally decides to divorce him. But for Jack, who has made his work a means of an escapade from his traumatic past, Mia’s decision comes as a shock and suddenly he finds it harder and harder for him to leave her.
The portrayal of these two characters and their hurts made m
Cecilia
I liked the premise of the marriage of convenience between childhood friends five years on. However, despite the surprising amount of emoting, I found the characters unengaging though plausible enough. The heroine doesn't seem to have a life outside of hard physical labour on a ranch and the hero's career is wallpaper. It provides a reason for his absences, but we see very very little of him being a scientific star. I actually wished hero was more nerdy less tortured - that aspect (rooted in his ...more
Barbara
I don't often venture into category romance, but this had gotten several glowing reviews, sounded interesting, so I gave it a go.
I thought the author did a good job with our two emotionally crippled protagonists. Jack is harder to warm up to--he is so closed down, a master of compartmentalizing. He has the largest arc of growth and it is very rewarding to watch. Mia's arc isn't so big and yet she has the harder time completing her journey. As a matter of fact, towards the end of the book I was c
Lori
3.5 stars.
I read this based on a rec from Wendy (SuperLibrarian). We frequently love the same books from Harlquin. I wasn't disappointed. It lives up to the SuperRomance intensity of emotion, filled with heartbreaking moments and family.

I loved how absent-minded Jack was. I loved how she stood by his family, even when they may not have deserved it. I loved how she steered Jack to his realization that what happened was not his fault, even if he could feel some responsibility for it.

Definitely n
Trina
I'm a big one for tension between my heroes and heroines so this book fit the bill. I really enjoyed the story of two people who have been in each other's lives for thirty years discovering a deep and abiding love for each other even though they were both blinded to aspects of it by the very history that connected them. And isn't that what we all want? A love that can withstand fears, doubts, tragedy and the baggage we often bring into a relationship from our past?

Side note: I found myself want
Nas Dean
HIS WIFE FOR ONE NIGHT by author Molly O'Keefe is an emotional read throughout.

A sexy interlude with Mia makes Jack rethink their relationship...and their future. But all his plans grind to a halt when she asks for a divorce. Once upon a time, Jack might have agreed. But now that he knows the chemistry they share, he's not giving up a second chance to be with his wife.

And Mia had always loved Jack and want to be with him but finds it hard because she believes Jack will leave her.

Great charact
Beate
This book was incredibly boring and hard to get through. I downloaded the book, knowing it was romance and not erotica - but the book is so tame it made me want to weep with frustration. I couldn't connect with the characters, which was where most of my frustrations came from. The plot was meh, the characters were meh, and there were a few sub-plots that the author never examined closer. Add all the typos and mistakes to that, and you have a book that just can't keep your attention for long.
Alisa
This was good. I enjoyed all the characters. I hope there are follow up stories for Lucy and Sandra and Walter.

The way they just stepped around each other and complained was funny but realistic for two stubborn and confused people.

The death of Oliver made me really sad. He would have been a good book on his own. Losses like that can really screw with a person.

I will def pass this book around to my friends.
John
A good intro to Presents for me. I would have liked a stronger establishment of the family situation that Mia and Jack had to deal with in their past, and I felt like there was a lack of hero and heroine interaction in the beginning half, but it was really enjoyable and had a great voice to it. Despite the problems, it's a solid read that manages to surprise you in some spots.
Niki
one of those classic the cover doesn't match my idea of the book at all. . . .the overall story was good, but the heroine running a ranch, taking car of a sick father-in-law, and then being so weak and indecisive was a bit annoying. i get that the hero totally tore her down, but she was so insightful in getting his life on track, and then just kept running away.
Joy
A marriage of convenience flounders after the couple sleep together. When he comes home to recover after a horrifying accident and face his past, she wants to move on. But can she? This might have been a 4-star book, only the heroine kept stringing out the inevitable at the end IMO--I didn't think that at this length book that was really necessary.
Wendy
So much tension, I really liked it, but I hated how annoying the leading lady was. Like gurl, I know you've been weeping for your husband for 10 years or whatever, but why are you so selfish at the end. Can you not just give in and let you guys both be happy? Far too long a novel, tbh. Could be a couple/few chapters shorter because of this.
Shelley
Fairly solid, interesting background characters. I wondered if things were getting set up for sequels. I was with the story pretty well until the end, when it felt like everyone took a few steps back - didn't they already work through all of that? One last chase scene, blah blah blah. So, pretty good until the end.
Lindy
I expected to enjoy this one more than I did. I usually love stories where the H/H have been best friends forever, but I just didn't feel much connection between these two (although I did feel her frustration), and the book ovcrall was pretty depressing.
Danielle Calabrese
3 1/2 stars! This is a good story by Molly O'Keefe. Not a lot of action going on, but that doesn't mean the plot is boring. The character development is very thorough and the storyline is engaging.
Dls
This book really worked for me. It was moving and convincing. I almost didn't read it, because I was only mildly impressed by her last two books, but this one felt like a whole step up for her.
Michelle
Fun and sexy...good enough that I picked up another of her books, "Can't Hurry Love", which has some really great sex scenes. She really has a little something extra in that area.
Bibliophile Booklover
i liked it just didn't like how doubtful she was at the end when she went to the meeting with jack
  • The Baby Plan
  • The Best Laid Plans
  • Here Comes the Groom
  • A Not-So-Perfect Past
  • The Sheriff's Daughter
  • Stranded with Her Ex
  • Playing with Fire
  • Red Hot Renegade (Bennett #5)
  • Hotshot: Hotshot\Going For It (Uniformly Hot! #20)
  • Seduced: The Unexpected Virgin (The Takeover #2)
  • Once Touched, Never Forgotten (Harlequin Presents #3034)
  • Snowbound
  • Magnate's Mistress...Accidentally Pregnant! (Modern Heat)
  • Hot Target
Molly O'Keefe has always known she wanted to be a writer (except when she wanted to be a florist or a chef and the brief period of time when she considered being a cowgirl). And once she got her hands on some romances, she knew exactly what she wanted to write.

She published her first Harlequin romance at age 25 and hasn't looked back. She loves exploring every character's road towards happily ever
More about Molly O'Keefe...
Can't Buy Me Love (Crooked Creek Ranch, #1) Crazy Thing Called Love (Crooked Creek Ranch, #3) Can't Hurry Love (Crooked Creek Ranch, #2) Wild Child (Boys of Bishop, #1) Between the Sheets (Boys of Bishop, #3)