Start by marking “The Gem Collector” as Want to Read:
The Gem Collector

The Gem Collector

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Spike gasped. His world was falling about his ears. Now that he had met Mr. Chames again he had looked forward to a long and prosperous partnership in crime, with always the mastermind behind him to direct his movements and check him if he went wrong. He had looked out upon the richness of London, and he had said with Bl]cher: "What a city to loot " And here was his leader ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Echo Library (first published 1909)

To ask other readers questions about The Gem Collector, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gem Collector

David Xavier
I enjoy the Jeeves humor of Wodehouse. I was at first disappointed that The Gem Collector wasn't funny, having picked it up for a light bedtime read. However it is a good story about a reformed thief. It doesn't have laughs but it does sparkle at times with signature Wodehouse writing.
One interesting line caught my eye:
A burglar is only a practical socialist. Philosophers talk a lot about the redistribution of wealth. The burglar goes out and does it.
Julie
Jimmy is a burglar who tries to reform after inheriting a vast fortune from his uncle. He returns to London from New York City only to re-discover the girl he loves, the daughter of a corrupt police officer, has moved to Britain as well.

It doesn't have the typical Wodehouse humor. Also, one of the characters is written in a tedious Brooklyn-style accent that is hard to understand and becomes annoying very quickly. The pace is also slow.
Ruth Sophia
Not what I was hoping for, but not a bad book

This was the first Wodehouse book I read. I had heard such wonderful things about his writing that I was a little disappointed. I didn't think this work was particularly stellar, but it was a nice little read that is certainly worth reading.
Yibbie
It is amusing. Three crooks try to live down their past. The only part I didn't appreciate was there was no repentance or restitution for any of the crimes they had committed.
Patricia
First version of Wodehouse's The Intrusion of Jimmy. I will say it's very confusing to read this book right after The Intrusion of Jimmy, until you figure out this is obviously another version of the same story. I think he improved on it in the second version, since I like that one much better.
Nick
Not PG's best, but not his worst either. A gentle piece that mixes New York criminals and minor English aristocrats together to see who gets the girl. The best of Wodehouse creates comic tension in one of two ways: either he throws so many obstacles in the way that you read to the end to delight in the genius it takes to unscramble the problems, or he has so many plot lines going at once, that you wonder how all of them will be resolved together, in time, and without too much reaching. This book ...more
Ailish
An early Wodehouse, not one of his best, but in which some of the classic features of his best works are to be seen.
Kathy
One of the great authors. This was an enjoyable short work typical of the early style. Definitely a taste of the brilliance to come in his later books.
Buggz79
A light read. The wodehouse spark is there but not a very note worthy book.
Judy
Another Wodehouse -- Kindle allows you do download them for free so I did -- again, I am impressed with Wodehouse's stories, as well as his characters. A common burglar in NYC returns home to England, a baronet on the death of his uncle -- and is tempted by a pearl necklace worth $40,000 -- should he or should he not? The house where he is invited is owned by a former NYC policeman -- the verbal battles these two have, complicated by the romance of the cop's daughter and the new baronet, are enl ...more
Terry
Enjoyed this "gem".
Caroline
Originally serialized - maybe once I finish all the Wodehouse works I will read the updated version.
Jeff Short
Good read but not Wodehouse's best.
Michael
Not a terribly engrossing story, but Wodehouse is a master of succinct picture painting.
Marts  (Thinker)
Loaded with the usual Wodehouse humor. Jimmy gets rich, ditches his jewel stealing ways and decides to marry...
Brian
A fun easy read.
Frances
This book was hilarious! There are lots of places that are laugh-out-loud funny, and Wodehouse describes the characters very well. I highly recommend this book.
Caron
As usual, Wodehouse loved to write sparkling dialogue. This is no different except for his buddySpike. As enjoyable as ever, this is another fun Wodehouse read.
Emily
It was like a mini-book with a shallow plot. Could have been a lot better with a more complex plot and better character development. Writing style was nice.
Kathy
An enjoyable book that I read through pretty quickly. A little crime, a little love, and a whole bunch of cynicism.
Donna
Wodehouse novella. Charming ex-burglar trying to go straight. What's not to like?
Steve Smoot
Sort of an obvious setup, with everything all explained out, but nice dialog.
Nancy
nice little story about a reformed thief in olden times.. quick good read.
Suzi
Not a very deep story, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Kelly Ann
Cutesy and easy to read....not bad for a free download!
Ruth
A sparkling and cheery little novella.
Sudhamshu Hebbar
Funny, in bits.
Mike Jorgensen
Mike Jorgensen marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Tracey Elmer mcgookey
Tracey Elmer mcgookey marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
  • Utilitarianism and Other Essays
  • News from Nowhere
  • The Last Bookstore In America
  • Beasts and Super-Beasts
  • The Lineup: The World's Greatest Crime Writers Tell the Inside Story of Their Greatest Detectives
  • Bad Dogs Have More Fun: Selected Writings on Family, Animals, and Life from The Philadelphia Inquirer
  • The Agony Column
  • Mrs. Ames
  • Bob the Book
  • Broadway Nights: A Romp of Life, Love, and Musical Theatre
  • A Tale of a Tub and Other Works
  • Mr. Harrison's Confessions
  • Diary of a Pilgrimage
  • Penrod and Sam
  • A Christmas Beginning (Christmas Stories, #5)
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...
My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1) Carry on, Jeeves (Jeeves, #3) The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7) Right Ho, Jeeves (Jeeves, #6) The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)