Necromancer (Necromancer, #0.5)

Necromancer (Necromancer 0.5)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  660 ratings  ·  125 reviews
This short story is included in "Necromancer", along with an excerpt from Hold Me Closer, Necromancer. It is also available for free from various places, detailed on the author's website.

Death and Waffles: A Short Story by Lish Bride, author of Hold Me Closer, Necromancer

Matt’s childhood friend, Ashley, has been stopping by a lot lately. That might seem pretty normal, but...more
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 33 pages
Published February 1st 2011 by Henry Holt and Co.

To ask other readers questions about Necromancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Necromancer

Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiHana by Lauren OliverGlitches by Marissa MeyerSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
107th out of 458 books — 910 voters
Sasha's Story by Andromeda BlissIt Lives in The Basement by Sahara FoleySilver Shark by Ilona AndrewsTales From The SFR Brigade by J.C. CasselsSilent Blade by Ilona Andrews
Fantasy/UF/PNR/Sci Fi Shorts
90th out of 139 books — 88 voters

More lists with this book...

Flannery
This is a free short story related to Lish McBride's first novel, Hold Me Closer Necromancer.

After reading HMCN, I was so excited to hear that there was a short story telling us a little more about Ashley, the waffle-addicted harbringer of death from the book. I was even more excited when I was halfway done on my Kindle and ready for more...but then it ended and an excerpt of Hold Me Closer filled up the second half. Blerg! I guess it is my fault for not realizing that half of it was an excerpt...more
Sabrina
EDIT 9/1/2012:

I was finally able to get my hands on a copy.

But let me say this: it's ridiculus that I had to pirate a copy of something that's distributed for free.
And it's ridiculus that we are in 2012 and still something as "geographical restrictions" or "we can't bill this for non-US residents" still exists for digital products.

--------------------

I've tried to get this from B&N:

And then on Amazon:

Well, I love you too.
Bonnie
I obtained this little novella free!

This is a super short novella by the author of 'Hold Me Closer, Necromancer.' I think I made the mistake of reading this novella prior to reading her full-length novel, but oh well.

This story revolves around Ashley (who is apparently introduced in 'Hold Me Closer') and her childhood friend Matt. Regardless of me not knowing more about the characters prior to reading it was still a fun little enjoyable read.
Stacia (out of inspiration)
Did they know, on some level, that my Catholic-schoolgirl-looking companion was a harbinger of death? Nobody screamed and pointed, so I guess not.

This was a fast little pit stop on my "anticipation for Necromancing the Stone" tour. I'm excitedly looking forward to book 2 in the Necromancer series, so I figured I'd squeeze in a short to keep my excitement level going. There isn't much to say about this novella (really, it's more like a chapter) other than it provided a random look at the life...more
Jillian -always aspiring-
Feb 25, 2011 Jillian -always aspiring- rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in reading Hold Me Closer, Necromancer
Okay, Ash wasn't Death-death, but she was as close to it as I had come. Still, I've always wondered if people are surprised when they see her instead of the traditional Death with the scythe. Are they disappointed? Relieved? -from the short story, "Death and Waffles"

As soon as I finished Hold Me Closer, Necromancer, the debut novel from Lish McBride, I knew I had to read the short story about Harbinger Ashley entitled Death and Waffles. Ashley was one of my favorite characters in the novel, so I...more
TheBookofJules
The title of this is misleading as this is not a novella, this is most assuredly a short story.

Regardless, it was a very fun and very heart-warming short story. In this, the reader gets to meet Ash, ten-year-old Harbringer of Death in her saddle shoes, her Catholic school girl outfit and her occasional parka. The first-person narration revolves around Matt, a seventeen year old boy who is barely living his life -- he's existing through it. Ash and Matt were best friends until she died of cancer...more
The Holy Terror
A feisty old-soul harbinger who appears as a ten-year-old girl with pigtails and saddle shoes? I'd like to read a series about her instead. Ashley is McBride's best character and I hope we get a lot more of her in the future.

This is set in the same universe as Hold Me Closer, Necromancer and focuses on one of the side characters, but this stands alone and won't spoil anything. Read this short story for free here.

I also have reviews for the other short story and the full novel in this series tha...more
Eric
Well hello Georgie Ashley. Have I been looking for a story like yours. I hope to get more of the harbingers later but for the moment you had me at "reminds me of Dead Like Me". Anyone who knows anything about me knows I was a HUGE fan of the show oh and Bryan Fuller is a god. Anyway since this is just a teaser of sorts I'm going to have to wait until Monday to start the audiobook but I'm pumped.
Stephanie
Short story about Ashley, Harbinger of Death, and her friend Matt. Ashley may have been dead for several years but she's still hanging around with Matt, going out for waffles, and waiting for Matt to move on with his life. I was sorry it was only 19 pages long. I would love to read more about Ashley's personal life or see her "at work" dealing with upper-management and the other schlubs at the office.
Michelle
Ashley was one of my favorite characters in Hold Me Closer, Necromancer, so it comes as no surprise that I loved getting more of her in "Death and Waffles." It was really nice to see her in her professional capacity as a Harbinger of Death, but it was even better to get a glimpse of her personal life -- pre-death.

I guess my primary dissatisfaction comes from, yet again, an incredibally passive protagonist. Only, with Matt, I don't get enough time to really love him despite his inaction. Thankfu...more
Crowinator
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Much shorter than I expected, this short story about Harbinger Ashley and her (still living) friend Matt is light but bittersweet. It's nice to get a closer glimpse at Ashley and see a little bit about her life before she died, though since the story is told from Matt's POV, we don't get as close as I'd thought we were going to. I also liked reading the author's brief comments on the origin of the story and how she worked Ashley into her novel.

And this has nothing to do w...more
Wendy Darling
If you loved the pigtailed, saddle-shoed Ashley, the harbinger of Death in Hold Me Closer, Necromancer, you'll enjoy "Death and Waffles," the short bonus story released as an online exclusive. It's nice to spend a little more time with one of the best characters from the book, and yes, yes, there are plenty of waffles.

This is currently a freebie available to download for Kindle. Lots of fun for fans of the book!
Magila
3.5

Rounded up again because I'm a fan. Much more of a short story than novella, which is my major gripe. (You do have to applaud an author for making a grad school creative writing assignment available to the masses though.)

I actually would not mind reading similar treatises on all the characters in the books. This one follows Ashley. It's clear the author has a rich backstory and tale to tell for each character, regardless of their level of "importance" in the novel featuring the same group.

Fi...more
Shelby
Ok so I really loved this little short. I just felt like Matt and Ash were just plain adorable. I felt so bad for Matt, having no friends and all until he met Ashley. Then to lose her to cancer so young, tragic. Of course I'm still not a hundred percent sure what all is going on, but as an introduction to a series this was wonderful.

Ash cracked me up. She was fun and sweet and I loved the antics her being a Harbinger allowed for. The Batman references were amusing as all get out. I adored the fa...more
Michelle
I liked the short story (Death and Waffles) a lot but I do wish it had been a tad bit longer. I get this bad feeling that Ash is a minor character in the series and now that I got to know her a little, I doubt I will get to know her better...ever. The teaser for Hold Me Closer Necromancer certainly left me wanting to read the rest of the book. I will be adding more Lish McBride books to my every growing list. Engaging story and worth the read.
Becca
This is a short, hence the novella part in title, story that gives us insight into Ashley. One of the most memorable characters from Hold Me Closer, Necromancer. Which by-the-way if you haven't read --- slap yourself 3 times and correct immediately. It's got humor, action, lovable MCs and told through the eyes of a SAM a guy you'd love to spend time with :)
Yzabel Ginsberg
Short 'n sweet. It didn't answer some of the questions I had about Ashley after reading HMCN, but that story was a nice little read all the same. Somehow I think it'd be worth developping into a longer story featuring Ashley and Matt.
Thalia
Nov 02, 2013 Thalia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Both Fans of the Series, and Those Interested in Beginning It
Read the review on my blog:
MsBDiamondDiva1
The first part of the book starts out about a character named Samhain Corvus LaCroix, he is a young adult, who has dropped out of school and is now a fry cook at a fast food restaurant named Plumpy’s ( :-)). The supporting characters are quite funny and just what the story need for the dinner “fast food talks” that was going on in the book. Here is a funny example of how Ramon was talking about Samhain aka “Sam’s” cooking.

“Sam, the toys ignited and exploded, which melted plastic onto your apron...more
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ Free on Amazon

Matt’s best friend Ashley died of cancer when she was 10. That doesn’t stop her from coming around to visit with him though.

I picked this up after reading Hold Me Closer, Necromancer. I went looking to see if there were more stories in the series and couldn’t believe my luck when I saw this short for free on Amazon. Score!

Ashley is a Harbinger. Matt calls her Death though that’s not what she is. She doesn’t kill people, she’s just a guide for those who are newly dead...more
Chelesbells
*4.5 stars*

This was such an enjoyable read! “Death and Waffles” is the short story that author Lish McBride wrote for a homework project while in college. Because she enjoyed these characters so much, they were later included in her Necromancer series.

I really like the premise of these stories. Ash and Matt were both very intriguing and their friendship was sweet, albeit slightly sad. Nothing breaks my heart more than an unfortunate home life and absentee parents:

“My dad had stopped taking int...more
Millenia
McBride's style of humor and I don't go well together, which is why I gave up on Hold Me Closer Necromancer. I WAS curious about the world, though, so I got this one free on amazon and read it little by little on my phone whenever I had to wait somewhere.

So - Death and Waffles is a quirky story with depth. It succeeds in its goal to entertain through inventiveness and detail. The Harbinger of Death is a catholic schoolgirl who likes strawberry waffles, and her best friend is a lonely young man w...more
Amelia
'Ash put her hands on her hips. Through gritted teeth she said, “I'm just one of Death's assistants. I promise you that I'm a neutral party, Mrs. Clausen.”

“Death. Right.” Mrs. Clausen looked over at me. “And who's he, the Muffin Man? Santa?”

I cleared my throat. “I'm Batman.”

Ash threw me a dirty look, and I just shrugged at her. It was all I could think of. “He's an intern,” Ash said.'

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
Denise
When I picked this up, without looking at the reviews closely, I was expecting one novella. What I got instead was one rather touching short story and a preview of a novel that I recently added to my "to read" list. And I loved what I read, so I'm still giving it five stars anyway!

The short story is called "Death and Waffles," and I absolutely loved it. It is a complete read in and of itself, and it explores a young adult friendship that has a couple of unique traits to it. I shall say no more f...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
This is actually two stories in one. The first story is about Sam LaCroix from Hold Me Closer, Necromancer who goes about life as a fry cook working for Plumpy's with Ramon, Brooke and Frank. He was born on Samhain day, and so his mother named him after the pagan holiday. . When a stranger shows up and demands to know why he is not registered with the council, all the fun Sam et all were having comes to an abrupt halt. Unfortunately, being so short, we have no clue what the council is, or want D...more
Casey
I didn't realize the story at the beginning was actually an excerpt from the novel: Hold Me Closer; Necromancer.
I think it was better than the short "pre-qual" if you will.

Some things too (nit picky I know)

Why does Matt ask Ash to wear a jacket if only he and dead ppl can see her? thats the point?

"the girl [Judy] was old enough to remember my little ponyies"
clearly the author has never heard of bronies.
Nicole
I would recommend this only after you read the first novel (Hold me Closer, Necromancer) as there isn't a lot else it has to offer otherwise. This short story tells of Ashley, harbringer of death waffle-loving formerly-alive 10 year old, and her best friend Matt. Since Ashley died seven years ago, she's been collecting souls and occasionally dropping by to see Matt (and eat waffles of course).

It was a very brief but nice story to fill in a little bit of background on Ashley, however it was a lit...more
Cyndy Aleo
Lish McBride's Necromancer: A Novella is a cute prequel/sideshot for her novel Hold Me Closer, Necromancer. In that book, Ashley, a harbinger (sort of the Grim Reaper) loves waffles. This novella is a little more about her: who she was before she died, what her life was like with her childhood friend Matt, and depicts some of her visits with him, where they go out to eat like normal friends and he sees some of what she does.

It's a cute little story, but if you read it before Hold Me Closer, Nec...more
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Really sweet and funny story about two kids, one happens to work for Death. Interesting/menacing young girl as "Death" is an interesting take, reminds me a bit of Susan. Excited to start the series esp. with how she took on a subject here (aka Death in human form) better then some others have, ie Gaiman.
Amy at bookgoonie
Matt’s best friend, Ash, drags him out for Waffles and Chili Fries. He looks forward to these moments, because he misses her. She died four years ago from cancer. Now she is the Harbinger of Death. In the span of a few pages, you feel Matt’s ache and longing to be with Ash like the good old days. He even considers suicide to be with her. Thankfully she poo-poos that idea.

I already like the characters and the possibilities that are introduced. I do not know how this story fits into the overall se...more
  • Retro Demonology (The Demon Trappers, #0.5)
  • Fallen from Grace (Dark Mirror, #0.5)
  • Cat Calls
  • Raising the Dead (Past Midnight, #1.5)
  • Men Who Wish to Drown
  • King of Marbury (The Marbury Lens #1.5)
  • Zachary Zombie and the Lost Boy
  • Haunted Destiny (Midnight Dragonfly, #1.5)
  • Stopping Time and Old Habits (Wicked Lovely #2.5-.6)
  • Intuition (Intangible, #0.5)
  • Beasts and BFFs (13 to Life, #0.5)
  • Impulse Control (Talent Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Blindsight (Mirus, #1.3)
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
  • Outta the Bag (Cadence Jones, #0.5)
  • Witches 101: A Witches of East End Primer
  • Foundation (Razorland, #0.5)
  • A Halflings Rescue (Halflings #1.5)
Lish McBride was raised by wolves in the Pacific Northwest. It rains a lot there, but she likes it anyway. She spent three years away while she got her MFA in fiction from the University of New Orleans, and she liked that too, although the hurricane did leave much of her stuff underwater. She enjoys reading, having geek-laden conversations about movies, comics, and zombies with her friends, and of...more
More about Lish McBride...
Hold Me Closer, Necromancer (Necromancer, #1) Necromancing the Stone (Necromancer, #2) Heads Will Roll (Necromancer, #0.1) Firebug (Firebug, #1) Untitled (Firebug, #2)

“I slid back into our booth. My pie was still there. For some reason, that seemed like it shouldn't be. Hadn't I been gone a long time? I felt like a death should resonate, like the whole diner should have felt it. The pie should have crumbled into dust by now. People should be somber. But the Goth kids still laughed over their coffee, the drunks were still drunk, and my pie refused to mourn.” 9 likes