Start by marking “The Burning House” as Want to Read:
The Burning House

The Burning House

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  53 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
"The Burning House is an achingly lovely novel about the things that bind us together in this life and the things that pull us apart. Paul Lisicky has an extraordinary gift for exploring emotional nuance and the rhythms of desire. With this book he yet again asserts himself as one of the select writers who continues to teach me about the complexities of the human heart."—R ...more
Published May 3rd 2011 by Etruscan Press (first published May 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Burning House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Burning House

Myfanwy
Nov 08, 2011 Myfanwy rated it it was amazing
Isidore Mirsky, the narrator of Paul Lisicky’s gorgeous novel The Burning House, desperately wants to be a good man. He loves his wife. He loves where he lives. He wants to do good work. He wants a purpose. He wants to be good. The problem is that Isidore doesn’t really know who he is anymore outside of his lusts and fears and indiscretions. Indeed, it seems he has lost the ability to function in the moment.

Even as he feels his wife, Laura, falling away from him into illness, he also pushes her
Jim Breslin
May 21, 2012 Jim Breslin rated it really liked it
Paul Lisicky writes beautiful prose. This is the story of Isidore, a delicate loving man who is a bit lost in life. He loves his wife but has an affair. He also covets his wife's sister. He meanders through houses that are being constructed in his town, attends meetings as townspeople try to stop the construction of town homes.

At times, it's not an easy book to follow - the plot is amorphous - you are left to read between the lines. Isidore doesn't speak about his issues directly, the reader ha
Sana Haque
Mar 05, 2012 Sana Haque rated it liked it
We read the novel for class and I have to say the narrative was very poetic . However, Isidore was a man struggling to do the right thing...like not sleeping with his sister-in-law. He seemed like a coward to me from beginning to end.
Kevin Catalano
Aug 05, 2013 Kevin Catalano rated it it was amazing
On the cover of Paul Lisicky's Burning House, Jayne Anne Phillips blurbs, "A pitch-perfect gem of a novel." When I first read that, I wondered how a novel could be a "pitch-perfect gem." Having finished this, I get it.

Isidore Mirsky, the narrator of the novel, is a man in trouble -- existential and emotional. "If only I could talk with such ease when I was genuinely telling the truth. Telling the truth, I only sputtered and left spastic lapses in my sentences in some effort to find the right wo
Carol Ciavonne
Mar 16, 2015 Carol Ciavonne rated it it was amazing
The prose is beautiful to read, with so many brief but startling insights. All the more intriguing, as the narrator is both aware and supremely unaware of who he is and what is going on in his life. He lies to others, but also to himself, and yet I could not help caring about him and seeing him as he wants to be seen, a good man. This is the first of Paul Lisicky's books I have ever read, and I intend to read more because the work is literature... it's not just well-written; it's beautiful.
Joe
Apr 10, 2011 Joe rated it really liked it
I review Paul Lisicky’s new novel, The Burning House, in the May 31, 2011, edition of The Boston Globe.

--Joe

The National Book Critics Circle chose my Boston Globe review of Paul Lisicky’s novella “The Burning House” as an exemplary review. It’s now at Powell’s on the “Review-a-Day” page.

--Joe
Jim
Nov 01, 2011 Jim rated it really liked it
Novella centered on the narrator's lust for his wife's sister and ordinary events in a small town fighting over a housing development and the threats to a home brought on by the narrator's confused desires, yet steadfast decency. The writing is interesting and fresh, though the narrator's mental leaps into fantasy and the past were at times confusing (even to the narrator, it seemed).
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it it was ok
Mar 19, 2016
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Tabitha Garmire
Tabitha Garmire marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Laurie Neighbors
Laurie Neighbors marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Natalie Chateloin
Natalie Chateloin marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Craig
Craig marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Jem
Jem marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Lara Hansen
Lara Hansen marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Macartney
Macartney marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
kc
kc marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Tim Looney
Tim Looney marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
  • The Last Warner Woman
  • Germany: A New History
  • The Archivist's Story
  • When the Only Light Is Fire
  • Target: Tinos  (Andreas Kaldis, #4)
  • Miss New York Has Everything
  • Dark Men (Silver Bear, #3)
  • Potluck Supper with Meeting to Follow: Essays
  • Letting Everything Become Your Teacher: 100 Lessons in Mindfulness
  • Cocktails
  • Double Agent: The First Hero of World War II and How the FBI Outwitted and Destroyed a Nazi Spy Ring
  • Talk Thai: The Adventures of Buddhist Boy
  • The Tao of Now: Daily Wisdom from Mystics, Sages, Poets, and Saints
PAUL LISICKY is the author of The Narrow Door, Unbuilt Projects, The Burning House, Famous Builder, and Lawnboy. His work has appeared in The Atlantic, BuzzFeed, Conjunctions, Fence, The Iowa Review, The Offing, Ploughshares, Tin House, and many other anthologies and magazines. A graduate of the Iowa Writers’ Workshop, he’s the recipient of fellowships from the Guggenheim Foundation, the National ...more
More about Paul Lisicky...