Start by marking “The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It” as Want to Read:

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  31,314 Ratings  ·  963 Reviews
An instant classic, this revised and updated edition of the phenomenal bestseller dispels the myths about starting your own business. Small business consultant and author Michael E. Gerber, with sharp insight gained from years of experience, points out how common assumptions, expectations, and even technical expertise can get in the way of running a successful business.

Ger
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published September 1st 1985)

Chad Warner
Aug 15, 2015 Chad Warner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: entrepreneurs, business owners
Recommended to Chad by: Dean Whittaker, Entrepreneur Magazine, Seth Getz
This book tells how to get your business to run without you. It shows how to work on your business, not in it. It explains how to get your people to work without your interference. It tells how to systematize so the business could be replicated 5,000 times. It shows how to do the work you love rather than the work you have to do.

The E-Myth (Entrepreneurial Myth) is that businesses are started by entrepreneurs seeking profit. In actuality, businesses are started by technicians (employees) who dec
Christopher
Dec 02, 2007 Christopher rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
About half a dozen important ideas buried in a mass of cloying, poorly written prose.

The 268 pages dedicated to this text could have been cut to 60 and the book would have been better for it. As it is, prepare to skim.

The author's habit of inventing characters that compliment him on his own ideas is a recurring and increasingly annoying technique. He also compliments his invented characters for their eloquence and drops repeated advertisements for his own company in the text. Classy.
Travis
Jul 10, 2011 Travis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If it weren't for the condescending, overly-simplistic, overly-drawn out, incessantly repetitive tone of this book, it would be good--it does have meaningful concepts, it just should have been twenty pages long. I've spent years working in consulting where process works when people don't. This book took sixty pages to suggest that the poor overworked technician hire help. Another fifty pages to explain that you need good processes so that you can hire low-skilled people. That you define a role a ...more
Wellington
Jan 28, 2008 Wellington rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fine book showing some of the flaws of small businesses and why so many fail. The author uses a fictional small business owner who started a pie shop and running herself ragged. She has a great gift in making pies but is burning herself out. She was thinking about how she her job was making and selling pies when her business could and should be so much more.

Successful companies don’t actually sell the products that they make. They fulfill an emotional need of their clients. For instanc
Britany
Nov 16, 2014 Britany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Britany by: Todd
Shelves: non-fiction
I was handed this book by a colleague and appreciated the layout. Gerber introduces concepts in a way that anybody can understand and interpret. He does this alongside coaching Sarah- a baker who is looking to start up her business "All About Pies" so in addition to giving the reader concepts, he implements them, using Sarah's case study throughout the book.

My reason for giving this 2 stars is because at one point, I set this book down and really had to force myself to pick it back up again. Jus
Filipe Lemos
Dec 14, 2013 Filipe Lemos rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one, really
This book is appears in all must-read-business-books-lists.
Well, not on mine.

While I agree that standardization of processes can go long way, the McDonald's of the world already exist. Trying to create another one, is as likely as to aiming to be the next Facebook.

The way I work in the corporate world, and the way I see myself working in an enterprise of my own, isn't factory work, follow the manual and nothing but the manual, don't think just execute bogus.

We're human working for humans, everyo
Meg
Feb 04, 2009 Meg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this a few years ago. It was the text for one of my husband's business classes. He said it was a good book... and I said, "WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?" (qualifies as one of the most rare phrases to escape his gorgeous lips) So I had to read it, see.

It's actually pretty amazing. I'm betting I'll never start my own business, because the things I do tend to be less-marketable services and commodities. Reading, doing laundry, watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer... Don't think you get paid for any of
Elise Edmonds
The principles in this book are very good, and I think Gerber nails the reasons why so many small businesses fail. The distinction between the roles of Entrepreneur, Technician and Manager are well thought out and reflect reality.

The systems Gerber recommends putting into place are stringent, and I feel it would be difficult to transfer them to certain types of business - service businesses, and highly skilled technical businesses for example. It's very much geared to businesses that provide goo
Chris
Feb 23, 2015 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I skimmed this book five years ago after hearing about it from some North Point staff members. I thought I understood the basic ideas, so for the last five years the book sat on my shelf. Until this week. I had a chance to listen to the book this week, and will likely add it as required reading for all our new staff members.

Great lessons:

1) Most people get into business (ministry?) because they like doing something and wish they could do it for themselves. Naively, they think they'll have more
Nicholas
Jan 19, 2009 Nicholas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Daniel Taylor
Self-employment does not make you an entrepreneur.

In this classic, Gerber highlights the three functions in a business: the Entrepreneur, the Manager, and the Technician. Self-employed people stay on the Technician-level and thus limit themselves.

He then moves onto the three stages of business growth, Infancy, Adolescence, and Maturity and shows how the role of the functions change as you grow.

Finally he outlines a Business Development Program, a practical Turn-Key system for putting his ideas i
Robert
Sep 21, 2012 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"A life laking in comprehensive structure is an aimless wreck. The absence of structure breads breakdown" - Quote from The Third Wave, Alvin Toffler. So Mr. Gerber makes the point that in a broken world our businesses need to be the shelter from the chaos with what Mr. Gerber calls "Impeccable order".

Jim
Apr 21, 2011 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
One of the worst titles for one of the best business books I've read in a long time. The "E Myth" stands for the "Entrepreneur myth" which, in Gerber's opinion, has caused many small American businesses to fail. Gerber believes that the notion that people of a certain type drive success in business, is pretty much dangerous bunkum. Systems drive business, and if you construct the right systems, the business will run itself. Of course, it's a bit more complex than that. In fact, it's a lot more c ...more
Chris Mower
I've read this book 3 times now over the past 5 years... well, I read it once very thoroughly and marked it up with highlights and notes... then read/skimmed it the second and third times... truth is it drives me nuts when people invent characters/dialogue in these types of books, and it's even more annoying when the dialogue is unnatural. Grudges aside, it teaches excellent business principles and ideas and thus comes highly recommended for the ideas, just not for the writing style.
TarasProkopyuk
Данная книга скорее всего одна из лучших и которые можно рекомендовать без малейших сомнений людям которые задумались или уже на пути открытия своего собственного бизнеса.

Автор поднял самые актуальные и важные психологические вопросы. Я думаю, что после прочтения книги вам станет понятней почему громадное количество людей начавшие свое дело терпят крушение, или же чего ожидать в открытом океана бизнеса и тщательнее подготовиться ко всем неприятностям еще на берегу.
Farnoosh Brock
Apr 17, 2016 Farnoosh Brock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-spirit
It felt like overnight MBA school. Or better.

A 5-star through and through. I never got my MBA. I've build a 6-figure business after resigning from my long corporate career, and I'm never going to go for the MBA, but listening to Michael Gerber's E-Myth Revisited book, I feel like I just went to overnight MBA School.

I listened to the book at 1.5x the speed over several flights and learned SO MUCH and I feel that even if you are a pro small business owner, you'll get a lot out of this book.

This i
Brandon Allen
Dec 07, 2009 Brandon Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The E-Myth is an important read for inspiring entrepreneurs if for no other reason than to keep you on track with doing what’s important for your business. Specifically making sure that you are always working on your business.

The overall message of this book is for small business owners to have systems and processes in place for their business. The main model that Michael Gerber uses is the franchise model that ensures that companies like McDonald’s can operate anywhere in the country and still
Melissa Jill
May 14, 2010 Melissa Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
This book is one of the most highly acclaimed reads for small business owners. I started listening to it on CD a few years ago and then got distracted and just finished it recently. I got the gist of the message a few years back and it truly shaped my business and focus from that point forward.

The E-Myth (Entrepreneurial Myth) is that businesses are started by entrepreneurs seeking profit. In actuality, businesses are started by technicians (employees) who convince themselves that they could be
Payam
Aug 11, 2013 Payam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What you do not know that you do not know, can and will hurt you. In this case, if you are in a small business, and are unexperienced, you probably do not know that you could be far more efficient and happy at your small business. This book explains how.

"The E-Myth Revisited" starts by debunking the idea that a specialist, a technician in a field, cannot simply and successfully become independent. The common mistake of the technician is the false belief that a business only needs a technician to
Amit
Feb 13, 2013 Amit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended reading for entrepreneurs.

Notes:

Work on your business, not in it.

A company is supposed to grow and it will not grow if you only care about the technical work
Build the company as a set of systems that could be copied for repeatable success.
Clearly define and document every role and have an insight in every one
Your customers perceived need is more important than their actual need.
Experiment to make your systems better.
Measure everything so you know if what you are doing is working
Your
Lynn Chin
Jul 10, 2016 Lynn Chin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! It really inspires me and make me think thoroughly whether I should start my own business now or later. Personally I will take this book as a kind warning on the issues you will encountered when a technician starts their own business. And definitely worth reading for second or third time!
Jeff
Dec 15, 2010 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-book-list
Outstanding. Second time I've read it, better this time around. If you are starting a new business or organization, this is a must-read.

Some takeaways:

The Entrepreneur, the Technician, the Manager.

The true product of a business isn't what it sells but how it sells it.

The Entrepreneur asks, "Where is the opportunity?"

Tom Watson, IBM: "Every day is devoted to business development, not doing business."

Mr. Watson had a clear picture of what IBM would look like in the future and began to act like it
Cameron
Aug 06, 2014 Cameron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most well-written, comprehensive, clear business book I've read so far. Gerber both manages to make this book really entertaining (I listened to the audio version) and super informative and eye-opening. I think different business books resonate with different people; this one really resonated with me. Most other books about this subject that I've read all say pretty much the same thing, and fail to give many concrete steps to take. This is the exact opposite of those books. He lays out a uni ...more
Kelli Koehler
Mar 08, 2016 Kelli Koehler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Best business book I've read in a long time. Everything was so applicable to my company - talking about the different phases a business goes through and the different types of workers you have. Put a lot of things into perspective. Highly recommend!
Khánh Trình
Sách viết đơn giản, dễ hiểu, cụ thể hơn so với Lean Startup. Hiểu cho đúng thì làm business lúc nào cũng cần kiểm định từng ý tưởng mới của người quản lý, đòi hỏi người quản lý phải có tư duy đổi mới liên tục. Sách phù hợp cho những người còn bỡ ngỡ chưa hiểu rõ làm business thực sự là như thế nào, xứng đáng là một best seller trong số các sách về business.

Điểm trừ lớn nhất là 2 phần đầu viết rất chán, cách viết thường xuyên lặp lại, đọc xong rồi tự thấy hối hận đã bỏ nhiều thời gian cắm cúi ngồ
Sharon
Jan 17, 2016 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are a small business owner, entrepreneur or intrapreneur, this book will help you to solve common problems and set up your business for success.

He lays out a very specific plan for business success. Good read.
Rick Killian
May 21, 2015 Rick Killian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had read this book years ago when I was first starting our business as a freelance editor and writer. I feel like I have been all technician for far too long. The insights Mr. Gerber shares here are making a huge difference for us now as we look to the future. I highly recommend small business founders and owners put this on their short list for books to read next about making their businesses all that they've dreamed of.

(For a more in depth look at The E Myth Revisted, please visit th
Mike Ogilvie
Dec 01, 2010 Mike Ogilvie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-helpful
This was a terrific book! I can easily say that every small business owner and entrepreneur should read it!

The first half especially was terrific. It helped me to conceptualize how much effort I was putting into my three business owner "characters": the technician, the manager, and the entrepreneur.

The second half was also good and gave me lots of great ideas for creating processes for my business. But it may be a little over the top for some - if you take him literally you'd be planning out a p
Rob Dudek
Jan 26, 2016 Rob Dudek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
This book is a must read! Throughout the whole book I felt like Mr. Gerber was talking directly to me. As a small business owner I must admit, I wish I had read this book sooner - it highlighted some of the mistakes I had made, as well explained certain processes and why they had occurred. It's a quick and easy read, with the author (more or less) getting straight to the point. If I was you, I'd definitely read this book, no matter if you're planning on starting a business or not - these are ver ...more
Leon Sylvester
Jul 23, 2015 Leon Sylvester rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The E-Myth Revisited has been one of the most thought provoking books I have read in relation to business.

The book begins by talking about 3 roles within each small business owner. The technician, the manager and the entrepreneur. The technician is the chef, the mechanic. The manager is detail orientated and manages the technicians. The entrepreneur is the visionary. He mentions that, for a business to work, you need all 3 elements working harmoniously - but as a small business owner you should
How do we add books from Audible 2 155 Nov 06, 2013 07:41PM
  • Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: What You Must Do to Increase the Value of Your Growing Firm
  • Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling
  • Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You
  • The One Minute Entrepreneur: The Secret to Creating and Sustaining a Successful Business
  • Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends
  • The Monk and the Riddle: The Education of a Silicon Valley Entrepreneur
  • Little Red Book of Selling: 12.5 Principles of Sales Greatness: How to Make Sales Forever
  • Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers
  • How to Make Millions with Your Ideas: An Entrepreneur's Guide
  • Guerrilla Marketing: Easy and Inexpensive Strategies for Making Big Profits from Your Small Business
  • Ultimate Sales Machine
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • The Age of Unreason
  • Growing a Business
  • Small Giants: Companies That Choose to Be Great Instead of Big
  • Zig Ziglar's Secrets of Closing the Sale
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • Lucky or Smart?: Secrets to an Entrepreneurial Life

“Contrary to popular belief, my experience has shown me that the people who are exceptionally good in business aren't so because of what they know but because of their insatiable need to know more.” 20 likes
“The difference between great people and everyone else is that great people create their lives actively, while everyone else is created by their lives, passively waiting to see where life takes them next. The difference between the two is living fully and just existing.” 14 likes