The Dead Saint

The Dead Saint (Bishop Lynn Peterson #1)

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  295 ratings  ·  45 reviews
It begins with a single gunshot, and Bishop Lynn Peterson watches in horror as a good friend, who is a member of the New Orleans Saints, collapses on the street. When a medal the player wore a medal Lynn had promised to return to the man's family disappears, Lynn is thrust into a suspenseful and fast-moving journey through four assassinations, an attempt on her life, confl...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Abingdon Press (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Dead Saint, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dead Saint

Debbie
"The Dead Saint" is a political thriller with an anti-war theme. Unfortunately, there's an excess of unnecessary detail that slowed the pace. There were whole scenes that could have been cut and the reader wouldn't have missed them. However, some suspense was created by physical danger to various nice people.

The main characters were interesting. However, the majority of the characters were described in an idealized way or were cliche. Lynn and her husband also seemed too naive and hero-worshipin...more
Judy
I don't often give out one star reviews, but I felt I had to. This is a thriller with no thrills. I stopped reading 18 percent of the way through. My guess is that this book is intended to be a tamer version of the genre, without the high body count of say, Lee Child's Jack Reacher books.

The story may not be original, but it's interesting enough. Episcopal bishop Lynn Peterson witnesses the murder of a beloved member of the New Orleans Saints football team and then finds herself drawn into a we...more
Beth Gibson
This book is a suspense/thriller type from Abingdon Press, a "christian" publisher. Sometimes that is enough to make me put it right back down. Not that I am not Christian, but because I don't want to preached at when I am reading for entertainment. Fortunately, this book does not do that. The book is similar in nature to those of Andrew Greeley, who is a Catholic priest, who uses a Catholic priest as his main character. In this book, it is a female bishop who is the lead character here. Her hus...more
M Christopher
Rarely have I given up on a book so quickly. I wish I had taken a moment in the bookstore to open it and read the first few pages. But, it was recommended in one of the journals I read (and I wish I remembered which one), so I just dropped it in my basket. Interesting premise but absolutely dreadful writing. Short, choppy, declarative sentences. Misused words. Vague pronouns. Ick. It's written for those with low reading levels and short attention spans. My nominee this year for the Bulwer-Lytton...more
Betty

When a medal the player wore—a medal Lynn had promised to return to the man's family—disappears, Lynn is thrust into a suspenseful and fast-moving journey through four assassinations, an attempt on her life, conflicts with a mysterious and ancient society, and a behind-the-scenes conspiracy that reaches all the way to the White House.

The...more
Rebecca Heath
Dec 09, 2011 Rebecca Heath rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Christian fiction
Shortly before New Orleans Bishop Lynn Peterson and her husband Galen are due to leave for the Balkans on a peace fact-finding mission, Lynn witnesses the shooting death of a friend, New Orleans Saints kicker, Elias Darwish. It turns out that Darwish has been murdered on orders from a shadowy figure known as "The Patriot" because the football player has been investigating the Patriot's identity. Why Darwish should have any insight or interest in this matter is never
explained.

The Patriot, villai...more
Debbie
Another free Kindle book!
Sometimes there are great books and sometimes there are books that are great for the moment. I'm not sure which this was, but I totally enjoyed this book!!
The characters are 3-dimensional and real, the storyline is not completely predictable (like some mind-candy mysteries), the writing flowed well and even had some words I had to look up (sobriquet, viscera, pusillanimity, pirogue, and puissance).
Perhaps what I enjoyed most, though, is Christian fiction that didn't forc...more
Craig D
The story starts with a female episcopal bishop sitting at a cafe in New Orleans witnessing her friend -- and kicker for the New Orleans Saints -- murdered in cold blood. Over the course of the next week or so, she and her husband keep getting their noses stuck in an assassin's plot. What ironically began in Louisiana, somehow follows them to Sarajevo and other cities in that war-torn region.

It was a good story. For some reason it moved slowly though -- making it a hard read at times. I always...more
Joyce
I enjoyed this book and found it better than I expected. There were some spots of pontificating about "peace" and "religion," that I wish could have been handled with a more deft touch. Yes, the main character was a female Bishop, but she did get involved in international espionage, so one didn't really want a page here and there about prayers. But it didn't happen all the time, but the tale was a page turner that kept you interested. The author also offered a small tie-in with another book she...more
Jonele
It took me a while to get into this book because I kept getting distracted by personal irritations. For instance, the author used very current events (Hurricane Katrina, Osama Bin Laden) with fictional characters (the president was a woman named Benedict, and two football players for the New Orleans Saints). She also had “chapters” that could be a little as a page and a half long. I don’t know why, but those things irritated me. Once she got away from the current events I was better able to lose...more
Lillie
There was plenty of intrigue, but I had a hard time suspending disbelief because there seemed to be too many coincidences and improbable connections. A woman bishop doesn't fit my faith tradition, though I know many denominations have them (the denomination was never named). She was a peace activist who had removed sin from her vocabulary and had an "all roads lead to God" theology. She didn't even pray when she frightened and in danger. Any believer I know, much less a bishop, would pray first....more
Aaron
The Dead Saint follows Bishop Lynn Peterson as she, like so many in the genre, is sucked unprepared into the world of international espionage.

The book oscillated between a can't-put-it-down thriller and a methodically plodding trudge - it could certainly use some evening-out plot-wise. There were some very refreshing elements, though: An author finally sees that religious people can be complex instead of super-villainish and understands that f*** isn't necessarily a substitute for thinking of th...more
Mike Barker
What if Jan Karon (of Mitford tales fame) tried to write a murder thriller? This would be the result. It was not all that great. Too much schmaltz in the first 3/4 and not enough intrigue in the last. Everything turns out just as one hopes it will and everyone is happy or happily killed off. Oden and her characters all want to see only the best in people and that prevents things from being terribly interesting. It was never intense and I felt I could drop off reading it and know exactly how thin...more
Bob
An Episcopal Bishop from New Orleans gets involved in an international conspiracy when the kicker for the New Orleans Saints and a good friend is shot down on the street where she witnessed it. A note from the President she is asked to deliver to a US Army Major while on a peace mission to the war torn areas of Bosnia and Macedonia gets her deeper into a web of assassinations and plots. It was a good tight story, A little too churchy for me, but consistent with the overall tone of the book. All...more
Dee
Jul 29, 2012 Dee rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
When my friend suggested this book I was excited because I thought it took place in New Orleans. One of my favorite cities. However, that setting is brief. It takes place mostly in the Balkans. I did like the book,the plot was intricate and detailed enough to keep my intterest to the end. I did find some of the anti-war theme a little preachy in places and found the narrative a little boring here and there,but overall a decent read.
Joel Ungar
A very good read. I for one am a fan of short chapters because it makes it easier to put a book down when you need to.

No extraordinary characters. Book got a little like a bad Seinfeld episode at the end where too many things come together at the end and it seems a bit forced.

I read this because it was in the Top 100 Free for the Kindle. If you read it on the Kindle, the formatting is off a bit here and there.
Larry
Characters were idealized, the writing is good but sometimes pretentious, and I found myself skimming over overly-detailed descriptions of stuff that didn't really matter. I appreciate, and even agree with, the religious views presented, and actually found some quotable passages. But for those who compare Oden to Clancy, Ludlum, and other great thriller writers--get a grip. She's no where close to being in their class.
Ruth
c2011. This is Christian literature. Well written but nothing original or exciting with the characters or the plot." Words are mirrors. Listen to a person's language and the patterns of logic behind it. Look for the values and motives the spoken words expose. Watch the eyes, their blinks and movements, and the soul they reveal."
Audrey Grant
This was a thriller, mystery that traveled the world in high politics, military, religion and even pro sports. She did a good job of intertwining all the people, places and plots to keep me fascinated and guessing till the end.
I'm also glad that bad doesn't always mean heartless and good doesn't mean incorruptible...interesting read!
Kathryn
Finally, a clean book... That alone was a benefit. As for the story, the first 2/3 of the book was a slow read. The story worthy of continuing, but definately not an "I can't put it down book". The last 1/3 was really the "meat" of the book. Ending was predictable, but that's okay...sometimes I need a bit of predictabiliy.
Joslins
A free ebook from Christianbook.com. As another reviewer has said, this is a political thriller with anti-war overtones. The Saint who died was a New Orleans Saint football player and his death was the result of and caused other international intrigue. Was a good read and I liked the Christian outlook.
Dana
Got halfway through before quitting. And that's with a three week break to read other books, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this didn't interest me. I didn't care for or about any of the characters and the "thriller" plot is less than thrilling.
Brenda
Interesting book. It was a fun book to read with all the twists and intrigue. I was surprised by the ending. There were a few sub plots that were never answered but left to imagination. I will look for more books by the author.
Donna Foston
Good concept: a murder mystery with intrigue, suspense, international travel, politics and religion. Very engrossing at times and some nice twists and turns, but too much description made it unnecessarily long.
This was a well written thriller...good characterization and fast twisty plot lines. The Bosnia, New Orleans Saints, POTUS connections, while pretty far fetched worked! I look forward yo more work by this author.
Phyllis
This tale is haunting. I read pages and then I must put the book down. Then, I must read some more pages. This book is really exciting and thrilling. The psychology of a killer is very interesting.
Jack
Despite being from a religious publishing house, this was a well written, complex adventure story, focused on conflict in the Balkans, with the hero being a Bishop from New Orleans.
Misty
Complete and utter crap. From the writing to the poorly constructed plot, I'd only suggest this as any good if I found out the author was actually like 15 years old when she wrote it.
Gayle
I enjoyed this e-book. It was suspenseful and kept my interest through out. I was surprised by the twist and turns in the story. Even the ending was not expected.
Kevin
Too many improbable coincidences to make it totally believable, but it's a great action/adventure/mystery yarn as long as you're willing to check your brain at the door.
Discussino Question 1 6 Aug 18, 2011 02:09PM
  • Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
  • When the Devil Whistles
  • Eye of the God
  • Diagnosis Death (Prescription for Trouble, #3)
  • Shrouded in Silence
  • Capitol Reflections
  • Dead Reckoning
  • Irrefutable
  • Blood Country (Claire Watkins, #1)
  • They Almost Always Come Home
  • From Ashes to Honor (First Responders #1)
  • Late Rain
  • Griselda Takes Flight (Bright's Pond #3)
  • Hostage in Havana (Cuban Trilogy, #1)
  • Through the Fire
  • Sweet Baklava
  • Lot's Return to Sodom (A Liv Bergen Mystery #2)
  • The Glory of Green (Green #3)
Crested Butte: : A Novel Wilderness Wanderings: A Lenten Pilgrimage Manger and Mystery: An Advent Adventure Abundance: Joyful Living in Christ Through the East Window: Prayers and Promises for Living with Loss