Start by marking “13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)” as Want to Read:
13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)

13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope #1)

3.65  ·  Rating Details ·  68,401 Ratings  ·  4,155 Reviews

When Ginny receives thirteen little blue envelopes and instructions to buy a plane ticket to London, she knows something exciting is going to happen. What Ginny doesn't know is that she will have the adventure of her life and it will change her in more ways than one. Life and love are waiting for her across the Atlantic, and the thirteen little blue envelopes are the key t

Published October 6th 2009 by HarperTeen (first published August 23rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about 13 Little Blue Envelopes, please sign up.

Leslie You can read my full content review at compassbookratings.com. It gives details on sex, language, and violence that should help you determine an…moreYou can read my full content review at compassbookratings.com. It gives details on sex, language, and violence that should help you determine an appropriate age for the book. There isn't much in the way of mature content, but there are a couple of sketchy situations. So it depends on the maturity of the reader, but I would recommend it to my 9th grade students without reservation. (less)

Lucy
13 Little Blue Envelopes suffers from DPS. Disappearing Parent Syndrome is a tragic epidemic in YA novels. In this case the DPS was particularly severe. Seventeen year old Ginny Blackstone goes on a trip to Europe sponsored by her deceased aunt. Aunt Peg was not reliable when she was around. In fact, during the last several years of Ginny's life Peg was in Europe. She died without contacting the family to let them know she was suffering from a prolonged illness. The family was just expected to p ...more
Shannon
May 31, 2014 Shannon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: own, ya-books
Unimpressive. The way Johnson writes is annoying; more than halfway into the book, I really didn't know ANYTHING about the main character, other than that she was on a (ridiculous) journey. It was all action and no thought. It was not insightful. The main character was not likeable. She wasn't unlikeable either. She was just like...doing things. She didn't have very many thoughts. And never very insightful ones (ie "I like this boy! I am sad. I am happy. I am angry"). COME ON. There was no attem ...more
Lisa
Sep 02, 2008 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not going to review this book except to say the thing that made me crazy. There were several instances in this book where something was mentioned and you think it is important and then it was dropped.

For instance, when the MC goes in the Louvre, it is mentioned that she checks her backpack in at the front--kind of like a coat check. Okay. No problem.

But then, as she is trying to get out of the Louvre she kind of starts going down random hall after hall in search of an exit and finally finds
Kathryn
Dec 11, 2007 Kathryn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like Peaches and The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
I read this book as an assignment from a mother-daughter book club that I am in with some friends from B.F. Day.
It wasn't very good, and while the plot is a nice idea, the author didn't really write it very well.
I mean, who would let thier daughter go overseas with no contact to the US and only carrying what she could fit in her backpack. And only haveing 1000 US dollars to spend. In addition to several other appalling facts, some of which are:
letting your daughter do the following:
1 stay with a
Katya
Oh, book. I had such hopes for you.

Here's the thing - I love travel stories. I love coming of age stories. So what's not to love about a coming of age story that involves lots and lots of traveling?

It's a hard question to answer, and the fastest way to answer it is: Aunt Peg is one seriously bitter person.

She lives without having constants. Fair enough. She does all sorts of menial, petty jobs while waiting for her career as an artist to hit off. Alright with me. Then she packs up and leaves for
Feb 17, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Travel Lovers
Recommended to Sarah by: Chelsie D.
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
I liked the premise. It was sort of interesting and cute. Dead Aunt sends niece on this unpredictable and slightly loony journey. (maybe not so cute). One very similar to the one that her aunt took when she felt a little lost and was dealing with a bit of a reality check.

17 year old Ginny doesn't think twice about it. She jets to her first destination, London. From there on it's one big ride. She goes through many experiences, and although it's a decent read, I just was not in love with the boo
Kayley Hyde
Feb 17, 2012 Kayley Hyde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Kayley by: No one
Shelves: favourites
If you've ever been to Europe, thought about going to Europe, wanted to go about Europe or even heard of Europe...you'll love this book. It's a quick, fun summer read. Very clever and warm-hearted. I love the characters, the plot and just everything about it. It always keeps you guessing. One of my favourites. Maureen never lets me down.
Vir
Apr 11, 2016 Vir rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: editoriales
Trece sobres azules parte de una idea que me parecía muy interesante, como eran las misteriosas cartas de la tía fallecida de Ginny que la iban llevando a conocer toda Europa. Dejando a un lado el hecho de que es poco creíble que dejen a una adolescente hacer ese viaje, que bueno al fin y al cabo esto es ficción y cosas más irreales he leído, lo que no me ha convencido es que todo ocurre como muy deprisa. No nos da tiempo a asentarnos y conocer cosas de un país y ya está en el siguiente, y entie ...more
Alexxy
Apr 20, 2016 Alexxy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
Sometimes I have to remind myself not to pick books up merely based on the fact that I've seen other people reading them.

13 little envelopes is story of a girl called Virginia who receives 13 letters from her aunt after her death, giving her instructions and leading her to travel through Europe.

While the idea sounds really interesting and made me feel like taking a trip of my own, the book didn't have a lot to offer.

First of all, the whole idea of her traveling alone sounds ridiculous and unbeli
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Dena Landon for TeensReadToo.com

When Virginia Blackstone (Ginny) receives the first blue envelope from her Aunt Peg in the mail, it sends her on an exciting, funny, and sometimes poignant adventure that readers will be delighted to join. The envelope contains $1,000 in cash, and the instructions to pick up a package of envelopes that start Ginny on a trip around Europe, tracing the steps of her eccentric Aunt. The instructions are specific; no cell phones, no maps, and Ginny can only
Angel Gelique
Passport Europe photo: Passport j0365180.gif

Ginger "Ginny" Blackstone, a seventeen-year-old college-bound girl, receives a letter from her deceased aunt instructing her to pick up a package from her former apartment. The package contains twelve additional envelopes, numbered two through thirteen. As per her aunt's insistence, Ginny must open an envelope only after completing the task from the previous envelope. The first envelope sends her to London with no money, cell phone, computer or guidebook. Ginny begins her adventure.

I honestly w
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads
Mini mini review
13 Little Blue Envelopes is a quick, light read that will intrigue young readers from the first page. This 'road trip novel' is filled with adventure and a cute romance. Maureen Johnson manages to pull off an entertaining story in 300 pages that may not fulfil older readers' expectations.

Looking at the Goodreads shelves for 13 Little Blue Envelopes, I'm quite positive that this should actually be under 'Middle Grade'. Now I love the MG genr
Flannery
This book would be more aptly marketed as a book about what NOT to do on a trip abroad rather than a YA quasi-adventure/quasi-romance. The most common emotion it drew out of me was annoyance. What parent lets their 17-year-old child go to Europe alone WITH NO SUPPLIES? No parents, that's who. Ginny wasn't properly equipped to travel the way she did. She talks to strangers, goes back to apartments with random people, just walks around some places at night, and leaves her crap unattended like it i ...more
Katie
I really wanted to read this book while I was in China because it has to do with travel. I was traveling, Ginny was traveling - it seemed the thing to do. I read it in two days, as well, which is saying something. But still, there was something lacking for me in this novel.

First, I'll admit that this is definitely a fast-paced read. I was never bored with the story. The constant change of setting kept the book clipping along at a pretty breakneck speed. Ginny visits a crazy amount of countries i
Merythapy
Yeah, it's unrealistic: no parents would send their daughter off for a month with no contact, especially if she's never travelled before. But... who really cares? It's a fairy tale.

A lot of the travel stuff *was* very authentic and struck a very strong chord with me. The only thing I really missed were the Canadians, although she definitely got the Taking Up With Random Australians thing.

I think it would be a great book to read before traveling, or while traveling. Excellent travel feel, with
Zoë
Aug 03, 2014 Zoë rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book as an audio book during my drive to New Orleans which made me dislike the book even more (I didn't enjoy the reader's voice). I enjoyed the book in the beginning but soon felt like the story was dragging and every country visited after Paris was unnecessary. I also didn't really like any character in this book, they had no depth and weren't interesting or likable. The concept of this book was so intriguing but I was disappointed.
Reynje

I enjoyed this enough as I read it - I was sick, jetlagged and in need of something pleasantly escapist – and this book did the trick. It’s a light, fun read and I quite like Maureen Johnson’s writing (admittedly more so in her other books than this one, though).

But ultimately I just found the story rather forgettable (and a little implausible). I found Ginny to be a fairly delible (thank you, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks for the neglected positive there!) character
Ying
Jan 11, 2014 Ying rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I felt that this was only an okay book from Maureen Johnson and that it paled in comparison to my favorite from her, Girl at Sea. There was a good plotline that promised adventure and romance in a foreign country that I was dissappointed to find did not exist. While it was an excellent idea, I felt the story did not develop well enough and it didn't go too in-depth. This book could have been better written but otherwise, still a good read.
April
Nov 10, 2012 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, library, contemporary
13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson is a modern day coming of age story. It centers around Virginia 'Ginny' Blackstone, a 17 year old girl who is given a letter in a blue envelope. The letter tells her to fly to London, but she can't bring any crutches. What ensues is a fantastic adventure.
Read the rest of my review here
Neil
Jun 23, 2015 Neil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a book which seems to have sat on my Kindle forever, and kept on being pushed further down the list of to-read books, as more were added. Somehow I managed to reorder the dates so that the oldest books appeared first on the list, with this book being near the top as a consequence.
I have to admit to being pleasantly surprised by this book, and by the author who was previously unknown to me. There was nothing about the book that I disliked, it was very well planned out with wonderful char
Léa Becomeadinosaur
J'ai emprunté ce livre à la bibliothèque car je me souvenais l'avoir lu lorsque j'étais adolescente. Mais impossible de me souvenir de l'histoire et du dénouement !

J'ai beaucoup aimé l'histoire des petites enveloppes et de la quête que mène Ginny. Je suis persuadée que ce type d'aventure ne peut que faire grandir et faire prendre du recul sur la vie que nous menons. Je pense que je rêve secrètement de réaliser ce type de voyage initiatique..

Petit bémol sur l'écriture un peu trop "simplette". J'
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥

Basic Info

Format:
Audio
Pages/Length: 6hrs and 52mins.
Genre: Young Adult; Contemporary.

At A Glance

In Dept

Best Part:
Paris!
Worst Part: Boringggg.
Thoughts Had: really!; that's how you get raped!; boredddddd.

Conclusion

Continuing the Series:
eh
Recommending: eh

Short Review: Okay every tim
F
May 23, 2011 F rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After hearing a lot of praise surrounding Maureen Johnson, I decided to give one of her books ago. Admittedly I chose 13 Little Blue Envelopes as it happened to be cheap in the Kindle Store, knowing little about the book I plunged straight in with high expectations. These were dashed remarkably quickly.

Our heroine, Ginny, is ridiculous from the beginning. Perhaps it is because that is all we know of her, her name. Despite assurances that Ginny's mother is strictly disapproving, especially of h
Grace
Mar 12, 2012 Grace rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, romance
The concept of the story, and especially the way the story unfolded, was so preposterous that it makes Twilight realistic. Seventeen year old Ginny receives 13 envelopes from her aunt, and needs to follow the instructions one at a time. This involves going to Europe and getting into stupid situations that miraculously resolve themselves. The first quarter of the story wasn't bad. The envelope containing Ginny's instructions to help an artist through donating a generous gift, were described with ...more
Soycazadoradesombrasylibros
Todo el mundo debería tener una tía Peg en su vida que la hiciese quitarse de lo fácil, sencillo y que la enseñase a ver las cosas desde otra perspectiva....Me ha cautivado, de lo mejor de literatura juvenil este año
Miriam Mathew
This was a light, fluffy read which I particularly enjoyed. I really liked the characters- they had a sense of depth to them and each place that the heroine travelled to was described in a specific way that made it really easy for me to visualise the scene. Overall, I think it deserves 3 stars.
Aly
Oct 19, 2015 Aly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: october-2015
This book was very good! I loved reading about her journey! She met a bunch of interesting people along the way. I love the idea of this book. I can't wait to read the next one!
Inma
Apr 02, 2016 Inma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
2.5/5

Las páginas de este libro prometían hacer vivir toda una aventura por Europa, y me apetecía mucho leer un libro así, que me hiciera viajar. ¿Qué ha pasado? Bueno, no ha sido tan bueno como esperaba. Por varios motivos.

El primero, la protagonista. Ginny es una protagonista con la que es difícil conectar, sobre todo porque la autora no nos da mucha información de ella. He terminado el libro con la sensación de que no se nada de ella, a excepción de que es tímida, tiene una tía que se llama P
Lola
A List of Road Trip (Or Backpacking Trip) Tips Inspired by 13 Little Blue Envelopes

1. Contrary to Maureen Johnson's beliefs, it is not that easy for a teenager to take off for Europe. You do have to ask your parents' permission before attempting international travel (or at least you should), and I'm not sure if Ginny was even eighteen or what. I also find it skeptical her parents were completely fine with this. My mom wouldn't be.

2. Contrary to Aunt Peggy's instructions, bring a camera. You wan
A series of envelopes take her on an adventure 1 3 Jan 07, 2016 08:07PM
Feelings? 1 6 Dec 08, 2015 08:38AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson - Restarting October 6th 2015 22 63 Oct 20, 2015 02:03PM
Movie :D:D 1 14 Apr 30, 2015 06:40AM
13 Little Blue Tears 1 14 Apr 13, 2015 11:27AM
2015 Reading Chal...: 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson 1 11 Mar 31, 2015 11:24AM
  • The Year of Secret Assignments (Ashbury/Brookfield, #2)
  • The Boy Book: A Study of Habits and Behaviors, Plus Techniques for Taming Them (Ruby Oliver, #2)
  • Songs for a Teenage Nomad
  • Bright Young Things (Bright Young Things, #1)
  • Dairy Queen (Dairy Queen, #1)
  • Coffeehouse Angel
  • Sophomore Switch
  • Gimme a Call
  • Best Foot Forward (Rules of the Road, #2)
  • The Juliet Club
  • Wish (Wish, #1)
  • Girl v. Boy
  • Cures for Heartbreak
  • Keeping the Moon
Maureen knew from an early age she wanted to be a writer. She went to high school at an all-girls' Catholic school and graduated from University of Delaware with a degree in writing. She now lives and writes in New York City.

Many of the adventures Maureen's characters face in her books are based on real-life stories. Maureen has traveled all over Europe, and is a Secret Sister to vlog brothers Han
More about Maureen Johnson...

Little Blue Envelope (2 books)
  • The Last Little Blue Envelope (Little Blue Envelope, #2)

“Rule #1: You may bring only what fits in your backpack. Don’t try to fake it with a purse or a carry-on.

Rule #2: You may not bring guidebooks, phrase books, or any kind of foreign language aid. And no journals.

Rule #3: You cannot bring extra money or credit/debit cards, travelers’ checks, etc. I’ll take care of all that.

Rule #4: No electronic crutches. This means no laptop, no cell phone, no music, and no camera. You can’t call home or communicate with people in the U.S. by Internet or telephone. Postcards and letters are acceptable and encouraged.

That’s all you need to know for now. ”
125 likes
“I'm Keith," he said, "and you're . . . clearly mad, but what's your name?” 114 likes