Start by marking “Playing Doctor (Pillow Talk, #2)” as Want to Read:
Playing Doctor (Pillow Talk, #2)

Playing Doctor (Pillow Talk #2)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  879 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
A Novel of Family and Love

After catching her research partner-slash-fiancé with the intern, Dr. Daphne Donovan returns home to lick her wounds and figure out how to fix her life. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out: being an uber-brilliant Doogie Howser has made her life miserable while all the normal people she knows are happy and content.

There's only one thing to d
Kindle Edition
Published (first published November 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Playing Doctor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing Doctor

Martinez
Jul 27, 2015 Martinez rated it really liked it
I liked this book very much. It was funny and captivating at the same time. It made me think about sudden decisions that I was taking, but whatever, in the end this book I really enjoyed
Sharreb
Sep 08, 2013 Sharreb rated it liked it
This book could have been a stealer.

Daphne is a brilliant young doctor/scientist who after being traumatised by a selfish fiance who cheated on her with their assitant, runs away from medicine and trying to do all things she assumed to be normal, including drinking beer when she hates the taste. And running away from Dr Grey when he was obviously the man of her dreams.]

Initially it was quite fun, and great start for them. The spark is there. And what comes out from her mouth is really hillarious
Ewa
Nov 17, 2014 Ewa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent for improving the humor in cold, autumn days.
N Naquin
Nov 15, 2014 N Naquin rated it it was ok
This book is frustrating. Daphne is supposed to be a brilliant doctor but she comes off as whiney and pathetic. I liked Gray but that is about it. I don't want to give too much away but I was disappointed with her decision on how to deal with Kevin in the end. Just a waste of my time reading this book. I prefer a much stronger female lead!
Kim
Nov 16, 2014 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Confuse heroine

The entire book is one bungle after another of a confused heroine. She lies to everyone, including herself. She tries to be something she's not. She rejects people who care about her. She could clear up everything if she could just be honest and come clean with everyone. But, if she did that then you wouldn't have this book. So much redundant and pointless page filler that it was not to my liking. I read this book because a review said it was funny. It was not.
Emily Higgins
Jul 23, 2014 Emily Higgins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Dr. Daphne Donovan has given up the practice of medicine. Her fiancé has stolen her research and told her that she is not sexy. She returns to Portland to live with her sister and pursue her goal of becoming an average, normal person who is not a doctor. She meets a pediatrician named Gray. She tries with all her might to dislike Gray and pursue average guys. She still finds herself being drawn time after time to all things medical, and Gray. This is a cute story.
Alexandria Tugot
Jan 08, 2013 Alexandria Tugot rated it it was ok
There are a lot of things I can say about this book, but most of them aren't so great, so I'll just keep it short and simple.

The book goes around the fears of Daphne after her fiance cheated on her with their temp. She decides that she wants to be "normal" and so she degrades herself from being an in-demand doctor to, of all the things in the world, a video store clerk. I just got so angry with the choices she makes because she's supposedly super smart, right? But no, she's actually really super
LaBelleMel
Mar 14, 2013 LaBelleMel rated it liked it
While Playing Doctor is worth a read, it wasn't my absolute favorite of Kate Perry's books. I felt that it was a bit long at times, but I like to think of it as parts of Daphne's own self-discovery. Daphne is obsessed with wanting a life that is "normal" that it gets redundant throughout the story. But as I have mentioned, those parts seem integral to Daphne learning that there isn't such a stereotypical outline to a "normal" for anyone and that she needs to accept that she just has to live her ...more
J B
Dec 13, 2014 J B rated it really liked it
I loved this book - I have been known to have the same thoughts about lesser intelligent people therefore I could honestly relate to the main character. Now this Mr. Gray isn't the same as in other novels - this one I truly adore and wouldn't mind letting him tie me any where he'd like ;-)
Lilly Verdzco
Daphne vs Brennan

Loved it,
Awkward funny in her own way that's how Daphne is, but she doesn't realize it, genius with a Barbie body not that the body keep her from doing her research. Humorous characters we situations that are funniest. You'll fall in love with Daphne, Phil ,magda and of course Ulysses
Puna
Feb 03, 2016 Puna rated it it was ok
It wanted to be a fun book and there were moments it was but brainiac Daphne was just SO stupid in her desperate attempt to be normal. She ran around in circles doing dumb stuff, it made it hard to believe she was actually smart.
Mary
Nov 16, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! I haven't read the others but this can be a stand alone. It was fun. Romantic. Loving. Hot. All you could ask for. I loved Gray. But I really liked the MCs wit and brilliance too.
Lucille
Jan 02, 2015 Lucille rated it liked it
I liked it, but it went downhill towards the end. I hated how she handled the problem with Kevin. Some things were really odd, too. But it was an overall good book to read!
Leyns
Sep 21, 2015 Leyns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Great read

I enjoyed the humour, the characters and the storyline. I would recommend this book. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Kelly
Jan 02, 2015 Kelly rated it it was ok
The book is sort of ridiculous, the heroine especially. I can't even begin to describe how offensive I found her quest to be "average." The hero was all right, but I felt a little bad for him that he wound up with her, because I just didn't like her.
Night
Feb 15, 2013 Night rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd novel of Kate Perry's I have read so far and it is right there in the middle. While I enjoyed the overall plot, I felt that it did not have the humor and realism of "Perfect for You". Although I like the idea of the heroine searching for a normal life after her previous misadventures, she was too stubborn. Even after all of the experiences she and the doctor had together, she still refused to accept their relationship. After one point, I was almost too annoyed with her to continu ...more
Vanessa Pitts
Nov 01, 2015 Vanessa Pitts rated it it was ok
Kinda cheesy and predictable. This book made me realize I need to start reading higher quality books.
asv
May 05, 2014 asv added it
was kind of half baked compared with the laurel heights series. the story kept wandering all over the place.
Loretta Kelly
Jan 13, 2013 Loretta Kelly rated it it was amazing
PLAYING DOCTOR is Kate Perry's 3rd book in her Family and Love series which is another 5 stars, in my opinion. I highly recommend it. It is another novel which could stand alone outside the series. There is much more "story" in this book than sex which is not always the case in some of her other books. The plot has a good time line and it's characters are once again - rich, rich, rich. Since it is fiction .... rich and sex can be enhanced beyond real life of the working class; when you grasp thi ...more
Liyana Zaher
Mar 03, 2015 Liyana Zaher rated it really liked it
A nice change. Nothing heavy - I enjoyed reading this book.
Karen
Jan 25, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
I thought this was cute! Yes! Cute! I laughed a lot and I liked that too. It's a typical romance book, but like Daphne wants to be, I really am typical and I love happy endings!
Lana
Sep 27, 2015 Lana rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put this book down. Loved this character
Sharyn
Apr 03, 2014 Sharyn rated it liked it
Shelves: library
**Read Project Date before reading this book. I'm reading it now and this book spoils the other one. I don't know why they aren't linked**

3.5. It started off really funny but seemed longer than it needed to be.
Nicole
Dec 11, 2014 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Perfect for a relaxing day!
Sheila
Sep 20, 2014 Sheila rated it liked it
3 stars
Anne
Oct 25, 2013 Anne rated it liked it
This could've been a really cute romance novel. It was really good until probably about half. Gray was such a drool-worthy male lead but when Charles Brown as the other guy, it went downward spiral from there. The ending was cute but I think the author should've focused on Gray and Daphne throughout the whole book. I mean, there's already Kevin, aka the douche ex-fiancee so I felt like there was no need to introduce a new guy. Anyway, it was a fun read. ^^
Marcy Meyer
Jul 09, 2013 Marcy Meyer rated it it was amazing
This second story in Kate Perry's Novel of Family and Love series is a sweet love story. I really loved Daphne and Gray's story of finding love, even if it's in the last place you want it to be. Isn't that a lesson we all learn, never say never. These two have a lot of passion and heat going on between them, and I was rooting for them from the beginning. Another great book by Kate Perry.
Maggie
May 10, 2013 Maggie rated it really liked it
Funny, but I really liked this book, probably because I could relate to much of it. Loved Gray's persistence, understood Daphne's search for "normal". Made me laugh out loud several times! Enjoyed, too, that it was set in Portland. Not my favorite of Kate's books, but still pretty good!
Gwynne Andal
Mar 31, 2013 Gwynne Andal rated it really liked it
description

Kilig!

Fun and sweet read about an intelligent doctor burned by love and wants to be normal for a change.

I love the banter between Gray and Daphne <3
Sarah Fitz
Aug 03, 2012 Sarah Fitz rated it it was ok
As much as I wanted to like this book, since I have enjoyed the other books b Kate Perry, this one was very hard to get thru. It seemed as though the story line dragged on and on. It started off and ended well, but the middle was torture to get thru.
  • You're Busting My Nuptials (Tizzy/Ridge Trilogy, #2)
  • The Care and Feeding of an Alpha Male (Bluebonnet, #2)
  • Epilogue Inked Ever After (Bowen, #2.6)
  • The Holiday Serenade (Dare Valley, #4)
  • Taming Alex (West Series, #2)
  • The Cowboy's Mail Order Bride (Cowboys & Brides, #3)
  • Her Ex Next Door
  • Let Me Love You (Spring Towers, #2)
  • Duping Cupid
  • The Beast's Bride (Once Upon a Time Travel, #2)
  • The Trouble with Christmas (Christmas, Colorado, #1)
  • Her Lucky Cowboy (Montana Men, #3)
  • Avoiding Amy Jackson (Infamous, #2)
  • Center Stage (Keller Family, #4)
  • A Husband of Her Own (Dundee, Idaho, #2)
  • A Very Important Guest
  • Sinfully Sexy
  • Second Chance at the Sugar Shack (Sugar Shack, #1)
Kate has tangoed at midnight with a man in blue furry chaps, dueled with flaming swords in the desert, and strutted on bar tops across the world and back. She’s been kissed under the Eiffel Tower, had her butt pinched in Florence, and been serenaded in New Orleans. But she found Happy Ever After in San Francisco with her Magic Man.

Kate’s the bestselling author of the Laurel Heights Novels, as well
More about Kate Perry...

Pillow Talk (3 books)
  • Project Date (Pillow Talk, #1)
  • Playing for Keeps (Pillow Talk, #3)

“You really don't know who Obi-Wan is. How could anyone not know Obi-Wan Kenobi?” 1 likes
“It's just easier to feel guilty than to admit that some things our out of our control.” 0 likes