Start by marking “A Girl Named Faithful Plum: A True Story of a Dancer from China and How She Achieved Her Dream” as Want to Read:

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  19 reviews
In 1977, when Zhongmei Lei was eleven years old, she learned that the prestigious Beijing Dance Academy was having open auditions. She'd already taken dance lessons, but everyone said a poor country girl would never get into the academy, especially without any connections in the Communist Party of the 1970s. But Zhongmei, whose name means Faithful Plum, persisted, even goi ...more
Published September 13th 2011 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about A Girl Named Faithful Plum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Girl Named Faithful Plum

Lucie
**EDIT: I know the title is weird, but this book should not be judged by its title (or by its cover, as a matter of fact)** This is a very touching true story about how Li Xiaozheng, a country girl, goes from being a reject and an outcast to being her country's most famous and respected dancer. The story was beautifully told, and I especially loved reading about Xiaozheng's family. However, reading about her success makes us think about all of the children who didn't get to reach their goals and ...more
Rachel
True story of an impoverished 11 year old girl from northern China (Siberia being the town's back fence) in the 1970s who travels to Beijing and tries out for the Beijing Dance Academy (She and 30,000 other kids). Her difficulties in getting to Beijing and then the prejudices she faces at the school make for a wonderful tale. She’s an amazing girl and I liked the story.

But…

It read like a 40 year-old man was ‘telling’ us about and 11 year old girl. It was REALLY dry. Biographical dry. Lacking in
Brooke
Non-Fiction A Girl Named Faithful Plum: The True Story of a Dancer from China and How She Achieved Her Dream
By: Richard Bernstein
Pairing I paired the book “A Girl Named Faithful Plum” with the TeenNick show Dance Academy because they both relate to a passion for dance.
Audience I would recommend this book to any middle or high school student interested in dance. It also has a common theme of working hard to achieve your dreams. The main character is from a small town in China during the Cultural
Abby Johnson
3.5

This is an amazing story of perseverance and dedication to art. Even though it meant three days and two nights of torturous travel on filthy trains crammed with people, eleven-year-old Li Zhongmei was determined to get to Beijing to audition for the prestigious Beijing Dance Academy. She knew she had a very small chance of getting in - the school accepted only 12 girls and 12 boys from the whole country. And once she reached Beijing she realized that many people looked down on her for being a
Cristina
An experienced girl dancer named Zhongmei dreams to get in the Beijing dance academy. Nobody was on her side they all thought that a poor girl would never get into dance academy. The name Zhongmei means faithful plum. No matter how many people said she couldn't do it she still tried. Her teacher said it would be the hardest thing she will ever do. In the end she ends up beating thousands of dancers and she was only at a young age. Faithful plum became a famous dancer who made her dream come true ...more
Teresa Bateman
This Junior Library Guild selection is a fascinating biography of Li Zhongmei who was a farmgirl in China, and went on to become one of its most famous dancers. The opposition she faced, and her sheet gutsy perseverance make for a compelling tale that is hard to put down. Readers cheer for her successes and grumble at the injustices she faces. I'm not a big dance enthusiast, but I found this book very hard to put down.
Emmy Lou
What a wondeful book! I enjoyed learning about Zhongmei's journey from a farm girl into the best dancer in her class. This book played with my emotions and really had me rooting for Zhongmei. I am glad I picked this book for my reading challenge.
Jacqueline
I loved this book, but had a few reservations about it. It was a very compelling story, with a very good amount of detail, but the ending was rushed and I was left wanting more. I wanted to walk with Zonghmei through all eight of her years at the Dance Academy, because while it was nice to be told things got better for her, I would have rather read the how instead.

The author writes from experience here but I won't tell the reason why because it was fun to discover it by accident as the book wra
Tracie
The author relates how 11-year-old Li Zhongmei traveled from a remote village in rural China
to become one of only a dozen girls selected to study ballet at the Beijing Dance Academy in
1978.

This is a really well-written narrative that encourages readers to believe in their dreams and
pursue their passions. It is also very detailed and descriptive: Bernstein devotes almost half the book to Zhongmei’s journey to her audition in Beijing. While I enjoyed learning about Zhongmei’s pre-Academy experi
darkest-blonde08
Zhongmei's story was amazing. Her battle to overcome the adversaries life set against her was incredible. The fact that she persevered through it all is incredible.

HOWEVER.....the writing leaves MUCH to be desired. It's extremely dry and rather boring really. The tale itself is interesting, but the teller of the tale made me want to shoot him. There were too many details added that could have been left out.

Personally, I think the author should have stuck to being a foreign correspondant.

THat'
Stacey
I loved the premise of the book, the details about life as a dancer in china, and the story in general. I did not love the writing. There were so many times where I thought I should be emotionally invested but was not, where the author could have done more to pull me in and immerse me. I liked the information but this book did not make me feel at all.
Melissa
This was an uplifting and inspiring book about a young Chinese dancer from the country who managed to succeed despite the fact that the odds were stacked against her. As someone who dances and knows how hard the dance world can be, I found this book to be a different perspective on the world of dance.
Cat
This is a truly amazing story. As an Asian girl with parents who have a rough background, I feel very close to this book and the message is clear. Any flower can blossom with faith and hope that will overcome the bad. Zhongmei is truly a hero to be able to rise out of the pain and suffering that she endured.
Lara Beaini
I loved this book! That is so cool that the author is married to the girl Li Zhongmei. This book had a lot of information about Zhongmei and how worked hard to be an amazing dancer at the Beijing Dance Academy. I would recommend this book to anyone.
Jane H
Really enjoyed the thoughtful writing of Chinese culture. My library shelved this as an adult book, but I think it'd be fantastic for a young teen as well. Great coming of age story.
Melissa Robinson
A truly wonderful book that I enjoyed reading to my daughter. This is an inspiring story that can be enjoyed by young or old alike and you do not need to be a dancer to enjoy it.
Debbie Graham
The style was a little stilted; the story is amazing.
Bridget
might be a good choice for book talks this summer
Aashu Sharma
Aashu Sharma marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
QueenAmidala28
QueenAmidala28 marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
West End  Prep
West End Prep marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Lizanell
Lizanell marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Ashish Bhaskar
Ashish Bhaskar marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
  • Amelia to Zora: Twenty-Six Women Who Changed the World
  • I'll Pass For Your Comrade: Women Soldiers in the Civil War
  • Regine's Book: A Teen Girl's Last Words
  • The Fantastic Jungles of Henri Rousseau
  • Mountains Beyond Mountains (Adapted for Young People): The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer,  A Man Who Would Cure the World
Growing up in the small town of East Haddam, Connecticut, RICHARD BERNSTEIN always dreamed of seeing the world, and after he finished university he figured a great way to do that would be to become a newspaper reporter. So he became a foreign correspondent for Time Magazine and then the New York Times, which sent him all expenses paid!) to lots of countries, including Hong Kong, China, Thailand, I ...more
More about Richard Bernstein...
The East, the West, and Sex: A History of Erotic Encounters Ultimate Journey: Retracing the Path of an Ancient Buddhist Monk Who Crossed Asia in Search of Enlightenment Out of the Blue: The Story of September 11, 2001, from Jihad to Ground Zero Fragile Glory: A Portrait of France and the French The New York Times: The Complete Front Pages: 1851-2008